The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Poor Kate! She hasn't taken the class yet of "Discreet itching 101" or "Camoflagged Nose-picking in a crowd" or any of the others to help her out with those who wish to embarass and talk down about her.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Aristocracy

Diana was of another time. The press loved her, at first. And we don't know how many pictures that were not published that might have shown a little "human" side at first. We know at the end they loved to publish every ugly picture they could find.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well on the flip side of the coin there are the fanatics who overhype her and get very defensive if you're not praising her to the sky. So it works both ways I think.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I think that there is an outcry to defend Kate per se because some of the nastiness that is directed towards her. Again, I don't care for the girl but I find myself defending her because of some of the unjust accusations that are said and then thrown her way.

For example, and not to pick on you Dierna23, but you say because "Kate sometimes doesn't behave very well." When is she not behaving well? When she scratches herself in public? Isn't that a normal human reaction? I guess I just don't get it.

Kate is human she is going to make mistakes. I find it quite sad that when she makes mistakes, people fail to recognize that she is human and let it go. We, as human beings have a tendecy to put people on pedestals and when they fall (because they are human) never let them forget it.
I know, Zonk, that you're right and I don't want to be pedantic. Of course she is human, but I think we know that the press and the protocol won't care much about that fact if she marries Prince William. To be honest I don't care if she scratches herself or drops another clangers. I only think her behaviour sometimes is just grist for the mill of her ciritics.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Keywords...press, protocol and if she marries William.

Press - If William and Kate become engaged and then married, her press interaction will be heavily monitored and staged. If at all possible, we will know even less of Miss Middleton other than what Buckingham Palace (and those well quoted sources) wants us to know.

Protocol - In regards to this, Kate will be instructed by Buckingham Palace, her husband and his family on what is and what is not proper protocol. I do have to say, than other than a few gaffes, Kate has handled herself well. Its unfair to make a lifetime judgement call on a few gaffes, what one reads and sees on the internet. Let's face it....no one really censors the internet. If I wanted to I could say from now until the end of time that Kate is purple, if someone quotes me, forwards it enough times, says it so much that it MUST be true...does that make it true?

If she marries William - she might not marry him. And while Great Britian has a right to judge on whether or not she is good enough to marry William, one has to ask what is the critieria? How are we judging on her ability to fit within the royal family if we don't know her? I think of anyone, William knows what is expected of his wife, and if he thinks she can cut it...he will ask her to marry him.

And for the record, having been a member of this Forum for the last four years, I have witnessed some true fans, the pro Dianas/Camilla's, Letizia, Mary, Maxima fans...and the people who support Kate are NOTHING LIKE THOSE PEOPLE.

I think for the most part people are ambivalent about Kate, she may have some good points but no one really knows since she barely speaks in public, and most things known about her and her family have come from the tabloids, the lack of a work history bothers some (NO NEED TO GET INTO THAT). Honestly, I think at this point...William and Kate have been dating so long people just want a wedding. It could be William and the girl down the street.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Aristocracy

I'd be one of Kate's biggest fans if she genuinely changes her ways ... only time will tell
Old 09-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate is human like the rest of us but dating the future king of England. Unless she's dealing drugs or hanging out with pimps I can't really be nasty towards her
Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Nobility

That's strange for me. I remember that Brits like Kate very much at the beginning. When they graduated, she worked for Jigsaw company and press write only good about her. People hope they marry soon, however I was sceptical (they're both 24 then). One day I read on one polish site news that Brits and Queen are angry becouse Kate give up her job. I was suprised. I went to english sites and was a little shock when I saw what they write about Kate. Some reports describes Kate day timetable: only gym, shopping, hairdresser, partying. Then there was comments that she's only hanging around and she's ,,Waity Katey" now. I wonder: what happened?
I read some articles in which was written that Kate had difficulty with finding a job in art gallery becouse of paparazzi. Maybe if she still works for Jigsaw people stop insulted her? Work for family company was controversal for people but that's always something. And the last: how long we could wait for the wedding? I suppose that Brits and media are more determined to know if and when Kate and Will wed that couple! And know this story with uncle. I feel sorry for Kate becouse she paid for all this things and I don't think she's so bad as media tried to make her.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Commoner

I think that Kate is no more "human" than the rest of the royal family. People put the royals above reproach and when they do something normal, human, they are criticized to the nth degree! Everyone gets an itchy or crusty nose and not have a tissue handy - it's just not the same when a "royal" does it and gets caught.

If the royals weren't under the microscope so much of the time, people wouldn't have so much to criticize and the newspapers wouldn't have their fodder to pass along at the consumer's expense.

If William and Kate do marry, it's his choice, of course, governed by what the Queen and Prince Charles think, but considering some of what other royals have married, she could be much worse. She's attractive, dresses sensibly enough compared to most of her age and is stuck in an impossible situation. If she works, she's criticized for the slightest move she makes and if she doesn't, she's criticized for not working, that she's a "golddigger" waiting for her crown.

I think people just love to bash the royals because of what they symbolize and what they have compared to most and this will never stop, even if there is no public support for the monarchy.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=emac0914;987144]I think that Kate is no more "human" than the rest of the royal family. People put the royals above reproach and when they do something normal, human, they are criticized to the nth degree! Everyone gets an itchy or crusty nose and not have a tissue handy - it's just not the same when a "royal" does it and gets caught.

I agree with you, but that is just it Kate is NOT a "royal" yet. Who knows if she ever will be(chances look good for her) but who knows...I think she appears to be a nice girl. Hopefully she is, it is a guessing game at this point. As long as she makes William happy and if they marry she is good for the country that she will serve then so be it.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac0914 View Post
I think that Kate is no more "human" than the rest of the royal family.
Kate isn't a member yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac0914 View Post
If William and Kate do marry, it's his choice, of course, governed by what the Queen and Prince Charles think, but considering some of what other royals have married, she could be much worse.
I'm sorry but whoever William choses as his bride, i'm sure the Queen and Prince Charles' opinion will make very little difference on whether he marries said girl.
And "some of what other royals have married" care to elaborate?
Old 09-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Except that without the Queen's consent (or Charles' if he waits until his grandmother passes) he can't marry unless he makes his marriage a political matter but seeking the permission of the Houses of Parliament and waiting a year.

Unlike the rest of us, aged 27 or more, he needs the formal consent of either his grandmother or Parliament in order to contract a legal marriage.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

IMO Kate showed her true colours during that roller disco event. And it's not about her falling and spread eagled on the floor as I know that wasn't her fault. Although if you're going roller skating you should have enough sense to know there's a good chance you're going to fall! But it was reported that "she didn't feel William was paying her enough attention and wanted to show him what he'd be missing when he went off to RAF" that he'd just signed up for. William even asked her not to go to it but of course she went anyway. This screams 'rebellion' to me. She should've listened to her boyfriend, she could've saved herself some embarrassment and negative press. The whole thing came across as so attention-seeking especially with the short shorts and all. It reminded me of something Diana would do when she wasn't happy about something and would rebel in a public way. (Not to turn this into a Diana discussion!) I can't imagine Mary, Maxime, Mathilde ever doing something this and in fact, they never did!
In the several years they've been together she's only made two attempts at fund raising (also the charity boat race) and both events came across as attention-seeking photo ops, and ended up with negative press. You don't have to make yourself look silly to help a charity!
Also when they broke up in 2007 the way she was courting the press by constantly going places she knew she would be photographed.

The British people don't want another Diana type of situation!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I don't remember hearing that William supposedly asked Kate not to help with the charity fundraiser. Where did you hear that, cd255?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255
IMO Kate showed her true colours...
With due respect to your opinion, I would just like to draw your attention to one fact: the "she didn't feel William was paying her enough attention and wanted to show him what he'd be missing when he went off to RAF" line was presented by the media, not Kate. Neither newspapers, nor any of us have any means of knowing what Kate Middleton feels, thinks or wants.
That might have been the reason for Kate's participation in the roller disco event and/or her rather eye-catching attire, however the media has a wonderful way of presenting their thoughts and opinions as someone else’s.

As for William's alleged request, I am not sure it ever happened. Remember that some of both William and Kate's closest friends and even relatives took part in the event: why should William object to Kate's participation? I have never been under the impression he objects to any kind of party or fun anyway.

I have to agree with your opinion about Kate’s behaviour following the 2007 break up though.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Marsel I think that was her reason for participating in it. That's my opinion. The whole thing came across as very attention-seeking. And it doesn't matter if some friends attended, William did not attend. I think that speaks volumes!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Wouldn't William have been busy with military duties at the time, though?

HM The Queen
Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

He hadn't started with RAF yet. And if he wanted to go he could've made the time to do so. Even military get time off.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd255 View Post
He hadn't started with RAF yet. And if he wanted to go he could've made the time to do so. Even military get time off.
Yes, but they don't get days off easily like you and I would. The military is very strict.

Also, don't you think maybe Kate wanted to prove she could do something independent from William?

And I agree with Marsel who said basically, don't believe everything you read in the papers. Since no one really knows what is going on, there is only speculation. The media is making their speculations fact.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

That's so true, Sonjapearl. Almost everything we know about this relationship, good or bad, has to be taken with a grain of salt, because it's been filtered through media sources.

HM The Queen
Closed Thread