The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:00 AM
Commoner

Ilovebertie: you are most welcome. :)

^ I think it's great that everyone can have their own, differing opinion. :)

Your last point is interesting - and I truly don't get that impression that Kate is 'fond' of herself per se. I actually think Kate lacks true self esteem and perhaps conceals it by appearing a bit too sure of herself at times.

I should add that, on a personal level, I don't have anything against Kate - though the work issue grates me a bit (but it doesn't irritate me as much as it does some).

I think Kate has lost herself in the euphoria that she is William's girlfriend, and it has stunted her growth. She is immature - how can anyone argue that she is anything less than immature when she still lives at home and sleeps in her childhood bedroom? I honestly don't see that Kate is anywhere near ready for the maturity required for marriage and motherhood; but then, neither is William.

Kate and William do seem compatible, I agree, but I think that William needs more than that in a bride. JMO.

I just don't think the monarchy can take the chance on Kate. What if she turns out to be as workshy as Camilla? I think some people may underestimate the esteem in which HM is held. Once she's gone, all bets are off. And the monarchy will have to shape up, or ship out, quite frankly.

See, that's the issue for me: Kate may well rise to the occasion, but equally she may not. You cannot wave a magic wand and give someone a work ethic - no matter how many people are pushing you along. At 27, IMO, it's a bit late in the day to expect Kate to change.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm in no position to character assassinate the woman, so I can't make judgements concerning the degree of her confidence. In order to do so I would have to know her, and I do not.

As stated, it is the odd photo that has made me think, but that is through no real fault of her own. The lense captures a mere moment which is in no way to say that any such observation on my behalf, is justifiable. Naturally.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 08-17-2009, 07:06 AM
Nobility

If, as Robert Jobson and the News Of The World suggests, Prince William and Kate were to get married in 2011, that wouldn't interfere with any celebrations at all.

The Jubilee will take place in 2012, and so will the Olympics. 2011 is the perfect year, considering that 2010 is an election year and so many things will be happening in 2012. I don't know if Robert Jobson is correct, but what he says in the article does make a lot of sense. It's very plausible, and it does help to erase the nickname "Waity Katie". If Robert Jobson is right, then William and Catherine have a plan and a schedule in place already, and they are only waiting for the correct time on the schedule to execute the plan.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Courtier

My impression is that Prince William is in no hurry, he is getting what he wants but I am not sure that Kate is getting what she wants, at the moment she is enjoying the life she leads with attention paid to her among his friends as his constant companion.
If anyone is "waity" I believe it is William, perhaps he is waiting for true love to come his way or for at least someone who will be universally approved of by his future subjects(not to mention his family).
At the moment, whether she deserves it or not she is seen as a very controversial choice and as time goes by she is not getting any younger. It is the unfortunate truth that for him, as a man, this is not that important so he can afford to have the sobriquet "waity"..
Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
two articles talking about an engagement

Pilot Prince William is cleared for a take-off with Kate Middleton - Article
Prince William, Kate to marry in 2011: Report - Article
A 2011 wedding wouldn't disrupt anything. However I still doubt the likeliness of it happenng. If they have already decided to get married, why wait 2 years is a long time.
If they had it in 2010 it wouldn't interrupt anything.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I'm in no position to character assassinate the woman, so I can't make judgements concerning the degree of her confidence. In order to do so I would have to know her, and I do not.

As stated, it is the odd photo that has made me think, but that is through no real fault of her own. The lense captures a mere moment which is in no way to say that any such observation on my behalf, is justifiable. Naturally.
I would not think that you 'character assassinate' Kate. Some might do that, but I don't engage in such unwarranted nonsense. Kate seems like a perfectly respectable, nice young woman and she's very pretty. If William were, well, William Wales, no problem. But, as HRH Prince William, I do not think Kate is suitable to be his wife and thus Queen Consort.

Since you raised it: as a retired tax lawyer, I can assure you, I've seen plenty of real character assassinations and I don't see that here. I think that these forums are about speculation, conjecture, opinions etc based on what we do know or think we know; and therefore I have to disagree: I think we can make certain judgments about Kate's character based on the facts at hand. It's what a judge has to do every day of the week ... that is to observe someone in a witness box in a short space of time, to assess facts as they are presented etc. It's not always perfect or an exact science. One has to make judgments without really knowing another person thoroughly - if at all. A judge has to fill in the blanks, just as we do.

For example, we do know that Kate has done little with herself since Uni, she has not shown any evidence of real personal growth etc. She is still living with her parents and has disproportionate free time and vacations. None of that is speculation; it is fact. One can draw many conclusions from these facts.

wisteria: I think what you wrote sounds quite harsh, but it does have a ring of truth to it and it was said very respectfully. :)
Old 08-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Paris Jackson...welcome to the Forums.

In reference to Kate Middleton, I would state quite emphatically that we don't know what Kate has done since university.

We can assume a lot but since none of us are her or (or a part of her crowd), and since she is not living in a Big Brother scenario where cameras are filming her day, I would say that it quite inaccurate to state that she hasn't shown any personal growth. Simply because we dont know.

In reference to her living at her home, what's wrong with that? I think history has shown when Kate has been on her own (or at least living with her sister) it wasn't a safe environment. Its a lot harder for paparazzi to follow her, take pictures of her on her parents estate in the English countryside as opposed to London. Why should she give up her personal freedom while she goes about her day? Perhaps we have all forgotten the hordes of photographers who stalked Kate on one of her birthday's while she walked about London on her birthday, or when she worked at Topshop (I believe that was the name of the store). Now if she off clubbing at a club that is known to attract celebs and photographers....thats different. But at some aspect even the most public figure deserves a bit of privacy.

In reference to the vacations, I would agree that would appear to the average British citizen that she is a rich girl who has nothing to do and not much in common with them. But again, she is a private citizen who is a rich girl...I would go on tons of vacations if money permitted.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but since Kate is not married to William it remains to be seen on whether a real career (or at least a career that would satisfy everyone but Kate) deems her worthy or not to be a future Queen of England.

Now I would question on whether or not either them are ready to marry since they haven't dated other people (at least that many on each side). But again, that's me. There are plenty of people who marry their first love and are perfectly happy.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kate worked as an assistant accessories buyer for Jigsaw not Topshop.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Majesty

That's right, and she's worn dresses by Topshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Kate worked as an assistant accessories buyer for Jigsaw not Topshop.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Courtier

CBS News actually did a whole report on that News of the World story...I couldn't believe it. Apparently no one there knows that NOTW is basically crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
"Kate-mania" on the scale of Diana seems like a bit of a stretch - whenever I read an article about her in a British paper, as many people write in that don't like her as do. I think Diana was pretty popular when they got married. Maybe people will warm to her more if an engagement is announced.
She'll get a lot of play in the press, no matter what the palace does, but I don't buy the story that they are worried about her overshadowing William. Women naturally get more attention in the media for a variety of reasons.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I just read a schlocky book called "After Diana" By Christopher Andersen who said that Kate worked as a buyer for a company--can't remember which one, then started her own line of clothing--either baby or childrens--and that she worked at home due to the papparazzi following her everywhere as it was easier this way.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

She worked as an accessories buyer for Jigsaw. I don't think the clothing line ever actually materialized, and that she moved on to working with Party Pieces instead.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was reported she was thinking about starting her own business but she never did.

They've been printing these engagement rumours since the beginning and they always make it sound believable. Same thing, different day.
At any rate, I personally hope it's not true.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator

So she worked as an accessories buyer for Jigsaw (and not Topshop---thanks to all for the correction) and do we all remember how that turned out?

Press constantly hounding her (and her fellow employees just by being there) and the press doing a constant count down on her activities after work. Kate hangs out all night, Kate looks tired going into work after a rough night of clubbing (because she isn't the only young person who works all day and parties at night), wondering what her work hours were at Jigsaw because she only seemed to work four days a week, and was constantly going on vacation......as if it was our business?

No wonder she works with her parents!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
CBS News actually did a whole report on that News of the World story...I couldn't believe it. Apparently no one there knows that NOTW is basically crap.

She'll get a lot of play in the press, no matter what the palace does, but I don't buy the story that they are worried about her overshadowing William. Women naturally get more attention in the media for a variety of reasons.

Yes they do which is why William has to be established as a full-time working royal before he gets married, as otherwise people will be focusing on his wife and what she is wearing rather than on the development of the future king.

Even with Charles fully established some people, even today, forget that Diana was only his wife and not the Queen in waiting in her own right.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Diana was very popular, yes; but the times were different then. From Diana's background, she seemed like something out of a fairy tale: the daughter of an Earl, a virgin, a teenager, young and pretty and polite, etc. Now would-be princesses seem to be expected to be career women with some real-life experience. Were Lady Diana Spencer to come along now, I'm not sure that she'd be any better received by some than Kate is.

I think that Diana and Charles' engagement was pretty short, too, though I'm not too sure about that - if it was, there wouldn't have been enough time to put out negative stories about Diana like they seem to have done with Kate for the past several years.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Majesty

They were engaged in February and married in July. The papers gave Diana extremely good press, perhaps in part because she was never rude to them and in part because they seemed to fall for her themselves. She was so young and sweet-faced and "nice", and she loved working with children and was known to make money scrubbing floors and doing housework. So there was an element of Cinderella about the whole thing, too. I think that there's more of an element of "trash talking" around now, perhaps a fair bit more than there was 28 or so years ago. I think that public discourse has generally sunk, at least from what I can see; and the whole idea of criticizing the Royals and their circle is much more accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
I think that Diana and Charles' engagement was pretty short, too, though I'm not too sure about that - if it was, there wouldn't have been enough time to put out negative stories about Diana like they seem to have done with Kate for the past several years.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Courtier

People like Diana only come along once in a lifetime like Marilyn Monroe and other tragic icons. Kate will get a ton of attention but I don't think she will continue to seek it out the way Diana did, partly because she seems more secure and not looking for the public adoration. Time will tell, but lightning striking twice seems unlikely...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Let's not get totally off topic...all posts regarding Kate and whether or nor she can be as popular as Diana should be made http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/new-diana-4632-6.html.

Thank you!

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 PM

Kate and Wills reunite at a society wedding and exclusive pics of the Cruises in 'HELLO!' - hellomagazine.com

Quote:
"If Kate dropped behind William for a second to greet a friend, he looked anxiously around until he found her gaze," one onlooker revealed.
Aww!

Closed Thread