The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post

It says here Wills & Kate would be married in time for the Queen's 60th jubilee.

Let's hope so!
When is the Queen's 60th jubilee?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
When is the Queen's 60th jubilee?

I think that the Queen´s jubilee must be in 2012 but i am not shure about what month it is in...(i´m not living in England but in Denmark)

I do have one question...was it in 1952 that Princesse Elisabeth became Queen and was she not on a travel for the Commelwelth ?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe View Post
I think that the Queen´s jubilee must be in 2012 but i am not shure about what month it is in...(i´m not living in England but in Denmark)

I do have one question...was it in 1952 that Princesse Elisabeth became Queen and was she not on a travel for the Commelwelth ?
The anniversary is on 06.02.2012 but probably it will celebrated in Summer like the Golden Jubilee.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The anniversary is on 06.02.2012 but probably it will celebrated in Summer like the Golden Jubilee.
So she became Queen when she came home from her travel in 1952 is that correct ?

Old 08-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Yes, she found out her father passed while in Africa.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe View Post
So she became Queen when she came home from her travel in 1952 is that correct ?
She became Queen during her travels in 1952. The succession is automatic, and she became Queen at the instant her father died, although nobody knows exactly when that was since he died in his sleep while alone. She was in Kenya on her way to Australia for an official tour.

Her father died in February 1952, but if the 60th anniversary is anything like the 50th, the celebrations will be taking place in June, the anniversary of the coronation (even though that was in 1953) rather than February, probably on account of the weather and because it's closer to tourist season. So a major royal wedding right on top of that would IMO be unlikely.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

two articles talking about an engagement

Pilot Prince William is cleared for a take-off with Kate Middleton - Article
Prince William, Kate to marry in 2011: Report - Article
Old 08-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Her father died in February 1952, but if the 60th anniversary is anything like the 50th, the celebrations will be taking place in June, the anniversary of the coronation (even though that was in 1953) rather than February, probably on account of the weather and because it's closer to tourist season. So a major royal wedding right on top of that would IMO be unlikely.
... plus on top of all this, the Olympic Games 2012 taking place in London.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Aristocracy

During the Olympics and the Jubilee does seem like sort of a strange time for them to get married, unless they decided they wanted less attention on the wedding ceremony for privacy reasons. Seems more likely they'd get married before both events, so they could attend them together in an official capacity. If they're getting married at all, that is - I don't think News of The World is necessarily the best source for accurate royal gossip. Although in America, the National Enquirer has broken several stories and they're just as big of a tabloid - so who knows?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

It's get boring waiting for the engagements.
Noone wouldn't be surprised when it happen,
but much more if nothing happen.

Ok, my scenario -
engagemnts in the end of 2010 or just on the begining of 2011.
Wedding in 2011.
Before all things which will happen in 2012.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Aristocracy

Seems like when they show up at a wedding the rumor go into high gear. I do think that it will happen sooner rather than later...but when it anyone's guess. Eight years is a long time, but when one is in line for the throne (as we saw with Victoria) it is a lot more than just the two people involved.

Royal Examiner Story
Old 08-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
During the Olympics and the Jubilee does seem like sort of a strange time for them to get married, unless they decided they wanted less attention on the wedding ceremony for privacy reasons. Seems more likely they'd get married before both events, so they could attend them together in an official capacity. If they're getting married at all, that is - I don't think News of The World is necessarily the best source for accurate royal gossip. Although in America, the National Enquirer has broken several stories and they're just as big of a tabloid - so who knows?
The article agrees with you, though: "The plan is that by the time the Queen celebrates her historic Diamond Jubilee in 2012 Kate will be on the palace balcony at her side as a fully-fledged princess. Well-placed sources say that while marriage is a "done deal" it is not expected until 2011 at the earliest."

So Jobson's saying that they'll already be married by the summer of 2012. He's pointing to a 2011 date in his article.

But I agree that the NOTW always needs to be taken with a grain of salt. They've broken a few accurate stories this year, but in the end, they are still a tabloid.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
But I agree that the NOTW always needs to be taken with a grain of salt. They've broken a few accurate stories this year, but in the end, they are still a tabloid.
I missed the bit where they said that they were going to get married before those two dates, so that makes more sense. And it also occurs to me that one of them leaked the story to get everyone off their backs and to get rid of the whole "Waity Kaity" title for her. It might be their way of indirectly announcing their engagement. They did get photographed together after the wedding with him looking attentively at her. Maybe they did that on purpose to show that they're still together after the whole "Uncle Gary" thing.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Okay...its time to move on from Queen Elizabeth's coronation.

For the record, King George VI died on February 6, 1952.

Queen Elizabeth II was crowned on June 2, 1953.

And now back to the topic on hand...the engagement rumours of William and Kate.

Thank you.

Zonk
British Forums moderator

Old 08-17-2009, 01:18 AM
Commoner

IMO, Kate attending the latest wedding with William doesn't definitely indicate anything, much less an imminent engagement.

All I see is the status quo - which to me has never indicated anything other than the fact that Kate is William's long-term girlfriend. I just don't think he's got marriage on his mind AT ALL. But that is just my opinion.

Playing devil's advocate, IMO, there is no way William will wed at a time which might take the gloss of of another big event, much less his universally beloved and respected grandmother. He has far more respect for her than that. If not, I'd lose all respect for him.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Commoner

I really don't buy into the speculation that Kate's attendance at this wedding means her and William will also wed. After all, she's been going to weddings with William for a long time, mostly recently to his cousin's.

On the one hand, presumably the invitation went out several months beforehand - and to not allow Kate to attend would have been insensitive, quite possibly rude. Also, William probably wouldn't want the media - or his friends' - speculation on Kate's whereabouts.

But on the other hand, it could indicate that William is so deliriously in love with Kate that he is showing that he is standing by her.

Either way, per se, I don't see it as equating to an imminent engagement.

I thought Kate looked quite nice, but also too thin and too tanned - it is really ageing her, and she's looked older than her biological years recently. I think the dress was too short for any wedding, much less a society one, wherein she is the partner of the future King of England.

The shoes were too high, and, again, she can't give up that ageing, thick, black eyeliner. Her hair looked drab - and she does have nice hair. With her copious time off, I'm sure she has the time for a hair cut.

As for my opinion, William looks really attentive toward Kate - and IMO, they both have the look of love. I've not seen that before. Now, I do think they will marry, because William is in love with her - and, who came blame him for wanting to marry the woman he loves?

I just call it as I see it, though I don't think Kate is suitable to be the future Queen Consort of England.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisJackson View Post
I just call it as I see it, though I don't think Kate is suitable to be the future Queen Consort of England.

Why not?

What is it that about her that makes her unsuitable in your eyes?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 AM
Commoner

Initially, I really liked what I saw of Kate. She was naturally pretty, understated, the girl next door type and unassuming. By all accounts, she was a breath of fresh air.

However, my view changed after time once I realised that she decided to become so unremarkable and unaccomplished in her own right. Everything she has attained - at the age of 27 - is because of her parents wherewithal. She has not shown that she can stand on her own two feet. Whilst not a crime, or sin, it's not endearing either - independent people are always desirable; and it does not intil any confidence that she will be able to handle the unrelenting job as William's consort.

Now, whilst it is subject to debate, there is evidence that the 'workshy' tag is well-placed with Kate. She is certainly unmotivated, and may even be unashamedly lazy. I think the fact that she is William's girlfriend has given her a sense of entitlement that is manifesting as repugnant.

I personally believe that whilst she works for her parents, it is irregular. It was quoted somwhere that she only works a 4 day week. Even if she works that much - which I doubt - that is really pathetic for an able-bodied, unencumbered, intelligent young woman. Why does Kate need to work part time? It doesn't show much about her stamina, motivation, dedication to something other than herself, focus or priorities. All of these things - and more - are needed in a Queen Consort. I like to see the goods before I buy.

Then there is her conduct - just not befitting for William's future bride. I find her clothes too revealing and not ladylike for someone in her position (most of the time). Yes, sometimes, she wears dowdy outfits too old for her, but not often. For example, spray-on jeans are fine for her age, but to my mind, quite unbecoming for a young woman in Kate's postion. Why can't she wear jeans a little more loose fitting? Ditto the short skirts she is so fond of. But I am a conservative dresser and was raised that way. If William likes her dressed that way, it might say a lot about why he is with her - and none of it is good. Men don't tend to marry women they view as a sexual object of desire.

Then there is the charity disco disaster. Totally and utterly tasteless. I'm not talking about her falling - innocent accident - but her whole attire. Clearly she wasn't thinking.

I do believe HM was less than amused about Kate's lack of work ethic, since she is one of the most duty bound and hardest workers on the planet. It is an insult to the British monarchy IMO that anyone could think Kate could step into HM's very large shoes. She has not shown that she is capable of anything worthwhile. Kate would be a joke, IMO - and she would not handle the pressure. It's a tough gig.

I also don't believe that she has HM's support, though she has William's. I think he loves her and wants to marry her. If you believe that HM supports Kate, then IMO you believe that HM suddenly lost her work ethic and her desire to keep her legacy alive for generations to come. It's just not plausible, IMO.

I didn't single out Uncle Gary because IMO Kate's reputation was already tainted long before that bombshell hit.

I would like to see the monarchy maintain (or regain?) some sense of dignity and respect - and IMO, William marrying Kate would drag it to its knees. Her reputation - and that of her family's - is just too tainted and "common" IMO.

IMO, it's a question of whether or not by the time William is ready to marry, Kate will be the one. Men can be fickle. But, I do hope for Kate's sake that she knows where she stands, because it is quite dangerous for a woman pushing thirty to cling to a man who doesn't seem to have marriage on his mind - prince or not.

All of the above is just my opinion, as you asked me, and I don't purport it as fact.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisJackson View Post
Initially, I really liked what I saw of Kate. She was naturally pretty, understated, the girl next door type and unassuming. By all accounts, she was a breath of fresh air.

All of the above is just my opinion, as you asked me, and I don't purport it as fact.

Thank you.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm of the opinion Kate would make a suitable bride for William, and to be quite frank, I couldn't care what she does between now and any such time. For me Miss Middleton remains a "private" citizen (of sorts), and so whatever she spends her time doing is of no consequence or interest to me. Should she attain an HRH then certainly, my opinion will change.

There are times where I get the impression she's a little 'fond' of herself, but that's based on very little...a photo or two here and there which depicts but a moment in time. So nothing credible.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Closed Thread