The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Far, far better for one of them to call it off than to end up marrying and then divorcing.

On a lighter note, that paragon of journalistic excellence, Australia's "New Idea", tells us this week that their "royal insider" says that HM was "irate" after leaning William and Kate once stayed with Uncle Gary on Ibiza, and that the plans for William to seek his grandmother's approval to marry Kate next month when they are due to visit her at Balmoral, are now up in the air.

So we wait for the next instalment. It's far more entertaining than any TV soap opera.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Far, far better for one of them to call it off than to end up marrying and then divorcing.

On a lighter note, that paragon of journalistic excellence, Australia's "New Idea", tells us this week that their "royal insider" says that HM was "irate" after leaning William and Kate once stayed with Uncle Gary on Ibiza, and that the plans for William to seek his grandmother's approval to marry Kate next month when they are due to visit her at Balmoral, are now up in the air.

So we wait for the next instalment. It's far more entertaining than any TV soap opera.
And Woman's Day, that equally reliable piece of drivel virtually says the opposite of course - namely that the engagement is still definitely on for August (if I remember my scanning of the story earlier this week).

Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I only buy these magazines for these outrageous stories about the Royals. They sometimes contain some nice recipes though. My mother buys Woman's Day, not New Idea, so she'll be optimistic about the couple at the moment.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:53 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Things will get very confusing next week when New Idea says it's back on again and Woman's Day says it's been called off.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh dear, yes! I'll have to make a point of checking.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Aristocracy

I find it so interesting that I have read all these post, and agree with most of them. Even though they are different opinions. Does that make me wishy washy? For my own opinion I don't understand this "lifetime dating" life style.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
For my own opinion I don't understand this "lifetime dating" life style.
IF! And IF I am correct, William is taking it ve-e-e-e-ry s-l-l-low not wanting to make the same mistake as his father.
*Sayeth Russo who has been known to be wrong. . . *
Old 07-31-2009, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt that you are wrong in this instance, Russo. That is the feeling that I am getting as well. William is still quite young and he is right in not rushing into anything as serious as marriage. (I Do hope that Kate will be the one, however!)
Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat View Post
Oh dear you do exagerate. And I suppose in the same token if Kate called it off she would be seen as very unladylike

People can (and do) end a long relationship and even an on/off relationship. That doesn't mean they're bad people. It just means they've decided it wasn't meant to be for whatever reason and they're entitled to make that decision. Nobody has a right to judge.

Maybe it will last maybe it won't. I just wish people would stop being so presumptuous about it.
Well I'm going to go out on a limb and say that she won't call it off and never did. Hardly exaggerating, he would look bad because the perception about her is that she has put her life on hold to be available for him, whether it's true or not. But what is true is that her life has been turned upside down, and it is hard for her to have a normal job. She made some sacrifices, he really doesn't have to make any, it's all to accommodate him...so whether it's fair or not, he would get the bad press.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Courtier

I am afraid I donīt agree again, royals never look bad. If William breaks it off with Kate he will find someone else and you will have all the British public and tourists waving flags and saying "doesnīt she look beautiful" as she goes past on her way to her royal wedding.
In the meantime Kate will be doing something else and some people will say when she is mentioned, "Kate who?"
It is the unfortunate truth, but then as we are all talking about "what if" then you never know she might end up as Princess William after all, as I have said before it all depends on how deep his feelings for her are. In the meantime I
donīt think anyone is forcing her to wait around or make sacrifices, she seems to be doing these things of her own free will.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

I am afraid I donīt agree again, royals never look bad. If William breaks it off with Kate he will find someone else and you will have all the British public and tourists waving flags and saying "doesnīt she look beautiful" as she goes past on her way to her royal wedding.
In the meantime Kate will be doing something else and some people will say when she is mentioned, "Kate who?"
It is the unfortunate truth, but then as we are all talking about "what if" then you never know she might end up as Princess William after all, as I have said before it all depends on how deep his feelings for her are. In the meantime I donīt think anyone is forcing her to wait around or make sacrifices, she seems to be doing these things of her own free will.
Yeah probably because she loves him, but notice how she has to make the sacrifices. Because like you say, he's the royal, he calls the shots and he knows he has the power. It's true he could move on easily, but the short term press will berate him. In the long term any girl will always be compared to Kate, unless she's someone in the aristocracy who Kate can't compete with.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I do believe you are correct, Wisteria. Royals do not ever look bad, as you say. I Do so hope that William will not look bad and he will not leave Kate. I believe that she has been a good and steady Lady all of these years and she has done so because she cares. Just imho, of course.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:

It is the unfortunate truth, but then as we are all talking about "what if" then you never know she might end up as Princess William after all, as I have said before it all depends on how deep his feelings for her are. In the meantime I
donīt think anyone is forcing her to wait around or make sacrifices, she seems to be doing these things of her own free will.
I absolutely agree. You can see it on Chelsy Davy right now.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Goodness, you make her sound really desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
...she has put her life on hold to be available for him
If this is true then I don't think it speaks very well of her.

Quote:
...it is hard for her to have a normal job. She made some sacrifices, he really doesn't have to make any, it's all to accommodate him...
William has to fulfill certain duties and responsibilities. He has no choice. He can't just live an "idle" life and do whatever he wants the way Kate can. And yes, I know she supposedly works for her parents but she can make her own schedule and that's why she chose not to have a normal job in the first place.

Quote:
he knows he has the power.
Kate certainly has the power to walk away whenever she wants. Nobody is forcing her to stay in this relationship. If she chooses to hang on for dear life no matter what then that is her choice. Stop making her out to be some hapless victim. She is not.

Quote:
the short term press will berate him.
And I'm sure you would love this. You practically sound like you're rooting for them. :rollseyes:
Well, better to be temporarily berated than stuck with the wrong person for the rest of your life - if that's the case.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
And I'm sure you would love this. You practically sound like you're rooting for them. :rollseyes:
I don't know where this nasty vibe is coming from when you quote my posts, I've been clear that I like Kate but there is also the reality of her position. I can't tell what your position is...not into them as a couple? But I'm mainly just telling it like I see it, that's all I can do. There's nothing offensive about what I'm saying.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't know where this nasty vibe is coming from when you quote my posts...
There's nothing nasty about my posts. I call it like I see it as well.

Quote:
I've been clear that I like Kate...
Yes, we know you support Kate. This much is obvious.

Quote:
I can't tell what your position is...not into them as a couple?
I've never said I didn't like them as a couple. I just don't think it's right when people say things like, he has to/should marry her or he can't break up with her, or else... It comes across as pushy.

Quote:
There's nothing offensive about what I'm saying.
I disagree.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Hi, i've been lurking for a looooong time. I think it's good when people have different opinions. It's time my voice is heard.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
It definitely would, he would be seen as a major cad...he doesn't have to marry her at all, but dumping her now would be seen in a not so great light, especially when he could've ended it long ago.
I think you are right, he could have ended it long ago. However if William and Kate believe it is time to end things, they will, they have thick skin, what the press say wouldn't have an affect on William.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I think Kate's more embedded in this circle than many think. She did attend Marlborough College, the same school that Princess Eugenie finished at last year. She would have mixed with members of the upper classes and aristocracy while studying there. I don't think Prince William is her only link to these people.
I agree with you, Kate knows many people in the upper classes. She survived very well when her and William split.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Engagements have been broken, so until they both say I do .....
Until they say I do, we cannot be certain of anything. Rather before then after.

Quote:

royals never look bad.
I beg to differ. Prince Charles was treated horrible with everything about Diana. Edward VIII when he abdicated. Elizabeth II after the death of Diana. Just because they are royalty they are not untouchable.
William would look bad in some peoples eyes if he were to dump Kate now.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Obnoxious at The Royal Forums? Never.

It will work itself out in time, hopefully for the couple for the best.

Can't blame William for caution since his parents clearly didn't know each other well enough to be married. And it might be difficult to be married and live a life like Andrew and Sarah had, where they spent so much time separated.

William and Kate are still only in their 20s, so there's no real rush to do anything. Like I've said previously, if we're going to have a royal wedding next year, it probably won't be announced before February and that's still a long time away. Maybe a billionaire will lure Kate away before then.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Let's stay on topic...any issues regarding other posters should be sent to the British moderators and/or TRF administrators.

All off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

We are all entitled to an opinion and the right to express it as long as its civil.

Zonk
British Forum moderator

Closed Thread