The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Courtier

I was away for a while...has anyone heard the bit Kate did for an interview? it was on youtube... I have to get up to date ... no internet for 10 days lol

Old 07-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Yes, I saw Kate on youtube. It's hard to hear her IMO.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Courtier

Oh, that is a shame we have not heard her speak and now i will have to go home and take a look for myself ....can't get youtube at work ....
Old 07-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

Well, I was going to put up a link to the Daily Mail article that had the video of Kate Middleton talking - but when I went there and put it in the search engine, up popped a timeline by the Daily Mail of Wills and Kates relationship - so I'll throw up that link, too.

Timeline: Kate and William's royal romance | Mail Online

Quote:
The Today Show just ran a piece about William and Kate, the typical "will they/won't they and when will they?" piece. Meredith Vieira weighed in, stating that it was time for Kate to put her foot down. (Yikes, Meredith, she's still not funny.)

Here's a link to to ( I think ) the NBC interview about Wills and Kate that they were talking about upthread - it's on HULU if it doesn't come up right.

Hulu - NBC TODAY Show: Will Prince William Pop the Question?

Here's the link to the article in the Daily Mail about Kate Middleton talking - I can't tell if the video link is still up there or not.

Ever wondered what she sounds like? Kate Middleton speaks publicly for the first time | Mail Online
Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Courtier

The video was posted in William and Kate current events thread. However, it appears that the video was removed both from the Daily Mail article (where it was replaced by pictures) and from YouTube.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

You really didn't miss much. I too, found it very difficult to understand the few words that Kate had to say. I wish that she had said more as I would like to have heard her speak as well.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

The video is still posted at the Mail Online here, at the bottom of the article, and when I checked a few moments ago, it still worked.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Courtier

I just don't buy into the idea that all she can do now is be a "royal mistress"....that sounds so old school, I think it's so dismissive to say this makes her damaged goods. It's like "oh look the middle class girl lived up to her rep!" Chelsy Davy was considered upper class and had the money to prove it, but her father's connections would give me more pause than this.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Courtier

I have never heard Chelsy Davy described as upper class but I have heard her praised for being persistent in University studies and taking on an apprenticeship which means although she is from a very rich family she likes her independence, unfortunately her father´s connections would inevitably work against her even if she were to marry the less important brother, Harry.
If Kate is described as being middle class (in the British meaning of the word) then her family has just reached it. As to the very unpleasant "damaged goods" description, well many girls from much better established families have had this description tagged on them.
Times have changed and perhaps this won´t matter, but personally I have my doubts.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Courtier

I was disapointed it was only 11 sec long and 6sec was the man asking the questions.... but at least she sounded like she had a nice voice not to high lol.......
Old 07-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Aristocracy

I don't expect a wedding (actually never did, even without Uncle Gary video.)
Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Courtier

I think they will too, I just think it would be an epic PR disaster if nothing happened at this point..regardless of this recent revelation.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Poor Kate. I guess it will never stop until she and William finally announce their engagement. Good for her though for not lashing out towards what's been written about her and the family.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
If they don't get married, IMO, it won't be because of this Uncle Gary story.
I agree with this. If William breaks up with her it will be because he has simply decided he doesn't want to spend the rest of his life with her and he has every right to make that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I think they will too, I just think it would be an epic PR disaster if nothing happened at this point..
It is not going to be an "epic PR disaster" if he breaks up with his girlfriend. Let's not be melodramatic.
This is what I meant in my other post about people using the longevity of their relationship to say that he "has" to marry her.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

They both have the right to make decisions like that. Kate could just as easily decide that she doesn't want to marry William.

(I'm not trying to argue with you about anything, rchat -- I just don't like when people frame relationships as if they're controlled unilaterally by one person.)

Regardless, I think they've proven that they're committed to a relationship. Whether that leads to marriage, we'll have to see. I think it will.

HM The Queen
Old 07-30-2009, 12:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
They both have the right to make decisions like that. Kate could just as easily decide that she doesn't want to marry William.
(I'm not trying to argue with you about anything, rchat -- I just don't like when people frame relationships as if they're controlled unilaterally by one person.)
Absolutely she could. It's just that most people are implying about William breaking up with her so that's why I said it that way.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Regardless, I think they've proven that they're committed to a relationship. Whether that leads to marriage, we'll have to see. I think it will.
I am not trying to argue with you Ella either BUT what people seem to forget quite often on this thread is that it is the royal who calls the tunes. When the then Princess Elizabeth got engaged it was said that as royal protocol requires, that it was SHE that asked HIM to get married. It is very hard for these ancient customs to be understood out of Britain but so far there is no sign of all these being left behind for the sake of modernism. Wasn´t the DOC´s great grandmother who said something along the lines of "call him sir and jump into bed" when talking about Edward VII.
The quaint old customs of Britain are a bit hard for non Britons to understand, no one can leave a party until the royal does, people talking to the Queen are limited to answering her. It is all so complicated but still in use even though no doubt it will change, and has started to change, but I just feel that Kate has taken on something that will have an unhappy ending for her, but as you say, we´ll see.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
The quaint old customs of Britain are a bit hard for non Britons to understand, no one can leave a party until the royal does, people talking to the Queen are limited to answering her. It is all so complicated but still in use even though no doubt it will change, and has started to change, but I just feel that Kate has taken on something that will have an unhappy ending for her, but as you say, we´ll see.
Its just that every culture has certain norms to follow, and most "foreigners" understand the differences. For example, the concept of not leaving a gathering until the senior most has left is prevalent in a number of cultures, including the armed forces.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat View Post
It is not going to be an "epic PR disaster" if he breaks up with his girlfriend. Let's not be melodramatic.
This is what I meant in my other post about people using the longevity of their relationship to say that he "has" to marry her.
It definitely would, he would be seen as a major cad...he doesn't have to marry her at all, but dumping her now would be seen in a not so great light, especially when he could've ended it long ago.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I am not trying to argue with you Ella either BUT what people seem to forget quite often on this thread is that it is the royal who calls the tunes. When the then Princess Elizabeth got engaged it was said that as royal protocol requires, that it was SHE that asked HIM to get married. It is very hard for these ancient customs to be understood out of Britain but so far there is no sign of all these being left behind for the sake of modernism. Wasn´t the DOC´s great grandmother who said something along the lines of "call him sir and jump into bed" when talking about Edward VII.
I don't dispute that it's the royal who essentially has to propose marriage -- it's a big deal asking someone to join the royal family. But up until that point, I fully believe that Kate or anyone else dating a member of a royal family has equal rights to decide to continue or end a relationship. In fact, I think Kate was reportedly the one who called it off last time. That's what I was getting at.

HM The Queen
Closed Thread