The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1241  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,988
I've just read an article about this on Hello! Magazine's website, which says that William and Kate will be staying at the main castle of Balmoral rather than in one of the properties on the estate. If this is true, then I think it is quite significant. Whether or not the Queen will be having a lunch with Kate, is another matter, but if it is true then it is significant too. In what way these things are significant, I dare not say, but it's going to be a long summer and plenty of time for decisions to be made and possibly questions to be asked!
__________________

__________________
J
  #1242  
Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,242
This is an important point to keep in mind. Much as I'd like to see an engagement announcement, I'm not quite holding my breath for one just now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
These "ladies lunch" or "private audience with HM" type stories are very common, and appear regularly in the tabloids. Are they truely indicative of a meaningful step in the relationship, or merely that of a slow news day is the real question in my mind!
__________________

__________________
  #1243  
Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,588
Sorry, but I think, it makes a little difference, if somebody says controversial or "silly" things or if he stands half naked in his kitchen, dealing with drugs The same with a girl, who will be Queen of great britain and everyone can take a look to her panties when she wents home from night clubbing. Like Paris Hilton or Britney Spears... I can't hardly remember Princess Michael doing such things Don't want to annoy someone here with my posts, but I stand by my word - they have a cheesy behaviour and I don't know if its the adaquate family for somebody, who will run the "Top-Job" someday.
__________________
  #1244  
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Kate, as far as I know from the 'evidence' that has been presented here, time and again, did not deliberately display anything. The **** that is called the paparazzi, will make every effort (from laying in the road to risking injury) to get an indecent shot. Unlike Spears or Hilton, at least Kate wears undergarments! The same thing would not have happened to Baroness Marie Christine von Reibnitz, it was a different era.
__________________
  #1245  
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 10,264
I totally agree Skydragon.

It always amazes me how people like to make comparisons between people (which I think is grossly unfair as everyone is completely different) especially between different generations. The press during Princess Michael's heyday is nothing like it is now.

As previously mentioned, Kate has been caught in some undesirable shots because they happen to sell. No one is perfect.

The press has never been fond of Princess Michael and they don't have a problem letting the world know.
__________________
.

  #1246  
Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Kate, as far as I know from the 'evidence' that has been presented here, time and again, did not deliberately display anything. The **** that is called the paparazzi, will make every effort (from laying in the road to risking injury) to get an indecent shot. Unlike Spears or Hilton, at least Kate wears undergarments! The same thing would not have happened to Baroness Marie Christine von Reibnitz, it was a different era.
I really agree with you about the paparazzi. And because I know a few "famous people" personally I also know, how the media can manipulate a persons image in the public. But... hmmm... Its difficult IMO. I surely won't blame her for being young and enjoy her life, but if you speak from an different era: in this era woman want to be independent, they work, lead their own lifes and so one. I mean, she's not a young woman like every else anymore. I know, she's not yet a public person, but what does she do except playing Williams shadow?? I'm not searching for Mrs. Perfect - we all make mistakes -, but what makes her special or adaquate for an heir? All I see is that she likes Parties and enjoy herself (no big thing and usually nothing to blame for, but MAYBE its different in her "position"). I'm sorry, but maybe I'm manipulated by the press myself. And btw sorry for my english...

And to ZONK: I didn't want to start a comparison between Kate and Princess Michael, but somebody here said, with Kate's uncle its the same like with Princess Michaels mistakes and I really can't agree with that. So my answer was only a bit of ironic. But allright, I won't say anything more here on this thread
__________________
  #1247  
Old 07-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Ella Kay's Avatar
Courtier
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Anywhere, United States
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
I know, she's not yet a public person, but what does she do except playing Williams shadow?? I'm not searching for Mrs. Perfect - we all make mistakes -, but what makes her special or adaquate for an heir? I'm sorry, but maybe I'm manipulated by the press myself. And btw sorry for my english...
What she does is work for her family's business. We've seen photos of her working at the company headquarters, and she recently attended a marketing seminar in London.

I think one of the things that makes the "what makes her special" debate so interesting is that the so-called "qualifications" for marrying a prince have changed radically over the past century. There used to be some that were set in stone -- you had to be either royal or aristocratic with major royal blood and you had to be a virgin.

Now that those criteria aren't applied anymore, people seem to want to develop a new set -- like a "meritocracy" of princess-hood. A princess, apparently, must have an "acceptable" career, a family that's not involved in any business ventures that might earn them enough money to make them "nouveau riche," a completely flawless personal history, and the ability either to smile or to frown at cameras depending on what the viewer deems the proper reaction.

But really, even the European commoner crown princesses that are often held up as models have had issues. Mette-Marit had a past with drugs and a son from a previous relationship. Letizia had been divorced. Maxima's father had a questionable background. But their princes married them anyway, and not because they fit with a set of criteria, but apparently because they were in love and wanted to raise families with them.

So, the bottom line, I think, is that Kate (or any other woman in a romance with a prince) is "special" or "adequate" simply because he loves her.
__________________

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
  #1248  
Old 07-20-2009, 02:27 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach (CA), United States
Posts: 1,337
That's a very good post, Ella Kay.
__________________
  #1249  
Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Myself1995's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 237
I also think that most people don't want a Charles and Diana deal where he marries someone else and regrets that he doesn't marry her. That's not fair to either woman. If he's bound and determined to have Kate, he should marry her. If he's getting cold feet, he should hold off.
__________________
  #1250  
Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,242
Yup. I couldn't have said this better myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
Now that those criteria aren't applied anymore, people seem to want to develop a new set -- like a "meritocracy" of princess-hood. A princess, apparently, must have an "acceptable" career, a family that's not involved in any business ventures that might earn them enough money to make them "nouveau riche," a completely flawless personal history, and the ability either to smile or to frown at cameras depending on what the viewer deems the proper reaction.
__________________
  #1251  
Old 07-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
but what does she do except playing Williams shadow??
The most important thing in any long term relationship - she puts his wants and needs on an equal footing to her own and ..... she loves him! It doesn't get better than that, because it is only others who are concerned about the princess bit, they are only concerned about the man/woman relationship.
__________________
  #1252  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Opal's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Coastal, Ireland
Posts: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself1995 View Post
I also think that most people don't want a Charles and Diana deal where he marries someone else and regrets that he doesn't marry her. That's not fair to either woman. If he's bound and determined to have Kate, he should marry her. If he's getting cold feet, he should hold off.
Or he may decide that he just doesn't want to spend the rest of his life with Kate and end up finding the right person that he does want to spend the rest of his life with. Why does everyone assume it has to be either a Camilla or Diana situation. Let him live his own life and write his own story.

Whatever he decides I pray that William will make the right choices for his life, his happiness, the Monarchy and his country.
__________________
  #1253  
Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 AM
Myself1995's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 237
Quote:
Why does everyone assume it has to be either a Camilla or Diana situation. Let him live his own life and write his own story.
I didn't say his was a Camilla or Diana situation. You didn't read the whole post. I said no one wanted to see another marriage drama again where another one of them did something they didn't want to do. I also said that if he wanted to marry her, he shouldn't listen to anyone else, and if he didn't want to marry her, he shouldn't be bullied into the situation. Which would basically be him living his own life and writing his own story.

Though what makes him happy, what's right for his life, what's right for the Monarchy and what's right for his country is a pretty tall order-often times, those things conflict.
__________________
  #1254  
Old 07-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Kate, as far as I know from the 'evidence' that has been presented here, time and again, did not deliberately display anything. The **** that is called the paparazzi, will make every effort (from laying in the road to risking injury) to get an indecent shot. Unlike Spears or Hilton, at least Kate wears undergarments! The same thing would not have happened to Baroness Marie Christine von Reibnitz, it was a different era.
Kate has been photographed on several different occassions flashing her knickers. If she didn't want any unsavoury shots to emerge she could simply hold her dress down.

As for photographers behaviour IMO it is heavily exaggerated by some on this board. I have been at clubs a couple of times when "celebs" were leaving and none of the paparrazzi had to lie on the floor to get the shots they wanted. It's conveneint and easy to blame the paparrazzi.
__________________
  #1255  
Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943

It is difficult when getting in or out of a cab to ensure that someone sticking a camera in, flashing away, is not going to manage to take a picture of your underwear. If you haven't seen any of the paparazzi lying on the floor or engaging in other grubby attempts to get a 'porn' shot, might I suggest that you are at different clubs to the main stream celebs?

Some might see the paparazzi as dear little souls, just doing their job, others or their family, might have been involved in one of the scrums caused by them, and see them in a different light entirely.
__________________
  #1256  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:34 PM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
Kate has been photographed on several different occassions flashing her knickers. If she didn't want any unsavoury shots to emerge she could simply hold her dress down.

As for photographers behaviour IMO it is heavily exaggerated by some on this board. I have been at clubs a couple of times when "celebs" were leaving and none of the paparrazzi had to lie on the floor to get the shots they wanted. It's conveneint and easy to blame the paparrazzi.
Reading your post one might be led to believe that Kate was some media hungry person exploiting the oh so innocent paparazzi to further her interests.

What is also amusing is that often a number of posters and some of the press are commenting on how conservative Kate is in her dressing, to the point of being dowdy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
I have been at clubs a couple of times when "celebs" were leaving and none of the paparrazzi had to lie on the floor to get the shots they wanted.
I guess there are "celebs" and there are potential senior royals - depends what will make the bigger story the next morning!

Topless photos of Diana vs those of Paris Hilton...... we all know the bigger story!
__________________
  #1257  
Old 07-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Empress's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,123
At the end of the day, I suppose that most British will be happy to see a breath of fresh air blow into the Royal Family. And whilst I am sure there will be some jealousy aimed at Kate Middleton for her good fortune in possibly marrying the prince, I imagine the majority will be of the mind "Good on you" and happy to see their prince happy, and that he's kept it in the country rather than looking for a match outside of the country with someone who knows nothing of how things are done in the UK.
__________________
  #1258  
Old 07-22-2009, 02:04 AM
SarahMay's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Palm Beach, United States
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Sorry, but I think, it makes a little difference, if somebody says controversial or "silly" things or if he stands half naked in his kitchen, dealing with drugs The same with a girl, who will be Queen of great britain and everyone can take a look to her panties when she wents home from night clubbing. Like Paris Hilton or Britney Spears... I can't hardly remember Princess Michael doing such things Don't want to annoy someone here with my posts, but I stand by my word - they have a cheesy behaviour and I don't know if its the adaquate family for somebody, who will run the "Top-Job" someday.
I agree with you.
Why the press has been pushing this mediocre girl for marriage since day one is something I've never understood.

Why does the press feel that William needs a wife at 27 and someone who is his first serious girlfriend.
Maybe he just likes having a girlfriend.


At the end of the day, Kate is still single Kate Middleton (Perhaps there is a reason for that?)
__________________
  #1259  
Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 AM
Wisteria's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
At the end of the day, I suppose that most British will be happy to see a breath of fresh air blow into the Royal Family. And whilst I am sure there will be some jealousy aimed at Kate Middleton for her good fortune in possibly marrying the prince, I imagine the majority will be of the mind "Good on you" and happy to see their prince happy, and that he's kept it in the country rather than looking for a match outside of the country with someone who knows nothing of how things are done in the UK.
Empress you used the very same words that were said when Prince Andrew got marrried "a breath of fresh air". By the way I think you have misjudged the general feeling in Britain, although I do think most people would be overjoyed if Prince William, when he does marry, should marry someone suitable from home.
__________________
  #1260  
Old 07-22-2009, 03:56 AM
muriel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMay View Post
I agree with you.
Why the press has been pushing this mediocre girl for marriage since day one is something I've never understood.
Perhaps it is because the only one who really matters, ie Prince William, has steadfastly stood by her.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMay View Post
I agree with you.
Why does the press feel that William needs a wife at 27 and someone who is his first serious girlfriend.
Maybe he just likes having a girlfriend.


At the end of the day, Kate is still single Kate Middleton (Perhaps there is a reason for that?)

Is there not a contradiction in your statements? First you query the need to marry for Wills to marry at age 27, but then you go on to mock Kate for being "still single Kate Middleton" and suggesting that there may be "a reason for that"!
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Chelsy: relationship musings MichelleVA Prince Harry and Prince William 1042 01-06-2011 12:14 AM
William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008 Duchess Prince Harry and Prince William 2208 05-11-2009 05:22 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
belgium birth brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jewellery jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility official visit olympic games olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]