The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Royal Highness

Now that Prince William is over 25 years of age I believe he doesn't have to ask the Queen. Is that correct?

I hope he does asks Katherine and her father. Then tells Prince Charles and the Queen. That is what I think will happen when Prince William proposes.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post
Now that Prince William is over 25 years of age I believe he doesn't have to ask the Queen. Is that correct?

I hope he does asks Katherine and her father. Then tells Prince Charles and the Queen. That is what I think will happen when Prince William proposes.

Now that he is over 25 he still has to ask the Queen but, if she says no then he can petition parliament, wait a year, and if neither house objects then he is able to marry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Well todays the second of july and we haven't heard anything. And being the heir, i don't doubt it would be released as soon as possible.
Wouldn't he ask the Queen before proposing not after?

I very much doubt that Elizabeth will stop Williams marriage to anyone, especially Katherine. I also think that he will ask both HM and Katherines father aswell, and anybody else he is believes he should.

The article did say that he would propose on the 1st July but then go to Balmoral to formally ask for permission meaning that there wouldn't be any announcement until mid to late August after asking the Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
Yes I suppose your right.
July 1st will forever be remembered as Diana's birthday and I don't think Will's would want to ruin that.

And yet it could also honour his mother by using that day - and it has been reported as the date of choice a number of times as well.

I, also don't think he would ask her to marry her on Diana's birthday but then again he might.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I'd think he'd want to keep those dates which are so associated with his mother -- July 1, July 29, August 31, and September 6 -- as dates which remain associated just with her. Surely he'd want to establish new days and anniversaries for his own relationship.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

He might also associate those dates with bad luck, since his mother's life might be interpreted in a rather sad way.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Very good point, iowabelle. Surely an engagement/wedding day should be remembered for nothing but happiness, if possible!

HM The Queen
Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 PM

Definitely, he cannot wish to have his engagement or wedding day on July 29 or August 31. Those dates are depressing. July 1st probably wouldn't be too bad though.... It's a birthday, which must always symbolize a beginning of a new life. But still I think it's unlikely.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I'd think he'd want to keep those dates which are so associated with his mother -- July 1, July 29, August 31, and September 6 -- as dates which remain associated just with her. Surely he'd want to establish new days and anniversaries for his own relationship.
I think I know what most of those dates are - one is her marriage,
one is her death, one is her birthday - but i'm not sure. Why are these days important?

thanks!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Sorry, Myself1995! I should have been clearer.

July 1 = Diana's birthday
July 29 = Diana and Charles's wedding
August 31 = Diana's death
September 6 = Diana's funeral

HM The Queen
Old 07-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Aristocracy

I get it now. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
Very good point, iowabelle. Surely an engagement/wedding day should be remembered for nothing but happiness, if possible!

If possible nice addition.
Diana fans would hate to see Williams wedding on a special day that belonged to Diana. And I don't believe william would. I understand who could do it in memory of his mother, but I believe it's unlikely.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Commoner

Given the amount of time that Kate and William have been informal, I question whether or not they will ever make it official at all. I know that any possible future Princess will need a considerable amount of vetting, but I could easily see William marrying a young noblewoman after a shorter courtship. The Middleton family's image in the press might just kill it for Kate.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Kate and William have been going for 8 years and you are right after that amount of time one would assume they would get engaged.
But I doubt that William would ask anyone to marry him, if he hadn't dated them for a considerable amount of time, 3-4 years possible.
As for the middleton family image, it has been quite controversial and Mrs Middleton does seem like a pushy kind of woman, on the other hand I have heard less and less about the family since Kate and William got back together in 07. Maybe Mrs M has learnt from her mistakes?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Bunte had warmed up the rumours about a possible engagement and marriage. It says that the Queen had invited Kate to a "ladies lunch" and further more.

Kate Middleton: HÃĪlt William bald um ihre Hand an? - BUNTE
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Bunte had warmed up the rumours about a possible engagement and marriage. It says that the Queen had invited Kate to a "ladies lunch" and further more.
Is this a pretty close translation to what the article says, or is my German way off?

Will William soon play his hand?
In England there are indications of a wedding in the royal family's own backyard; For the first time Kate Middleton was invited to a private lunch with the Queen. The meeting is to take place in August in Balmoral. Will her prince soon ask for her hand?

Can you imagine having a lunch that decides the rest of your life? No? Then look to England. Kate Middleton (27) is approaching this grotesque situation shortly. For the first time William's girlfriend (27) was invited to a private lunch with the Queen. That signals the ringing of wedding bells not only for aristocracy experts.

"It is the clearest signal that Kate could become an full member of "the Firm" ", explains a palace insider to the British tabloid newspaper "Sunday express ". "The meeting with the Queen will inevitably intimidate Kate, but it is extremely important for her future relationship with William". The meal is to take place in August during a hunting vacation at Balmoral in the Scottish highlands. Allegedly the two ladies will discuss exactly how Kate's life will change as a future royal soverign.

But it is not only lunch with the Queen that indicates that the love between William and Kate is being taken more seriously than ever; During a five day trip there recently the pair stayed not at the main house, but in a smaller house on the property. Then there's the fact that William and Kate have became more domestic, which has been proven in recent Paparazzi pictures. Instead of going to London clubs, they'd rather spend the weekend with friends in the country.

They've been a pair for five years now - and "Waity Kaity" as she is called in her own country, can't wait much longer. In the spring William will finish his pilot's training at The Royal Air Force.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
I Hope makes the big move!

The thing is...he might have made his "big move" already -- and we just don't know about it. It could be their own secret. Or known amongst a very few.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Well said, Bosana! Let us just hope that you are correct in your assumption.... :)
Old 07-14-2009, 03:49 AM
Heir Apparent

These "ladies lunch" or "private audience with HM" type stories are very common, and appear regularly in the tabloids. Are they truely indicative of a meaningful step in the relationship, or merely that of a slow news day is the real question in my mind!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:27 AM
Courtier

Has anyone thought that this lunch (if there is even such a thing) could be to have a heart to heart talk to Kate and tell her that she should be getting on with her life as it is highly unlikely that her grandson will marry her?
Donīt yell at me, it is just a thought.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Has anyone thought that this lunch (if there is even such a thing) could be to have a heart to heart talk to Kate and tell her that she should be getting on with her life as it is highly unlikely that her grandson will marry her?
Donīt yell at me, it is just a thought.
Not convinced that HM would see it as her role to do so!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Not convinced that HM would see it as her role to do so!
I agree. That would not be her place. Though she is the head of the royal family, I do not think she would feel entitled to sit down the partners of her children or grandchildren and give them that sort of advice.

HM The Queen
Closed Thread