The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I think you're right, udyusa. Apparently the source is Globe magazine, which is one of the trashiest of the US tabloids.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Majesty

This week's No Idea says that William will propose on Diana's birthday and that he will formally ask the Queen's permission in August at Balmoral - which is, according to the article, the reason for her going.

However, it also says that he is free to marry being over 25 and as we know on here (well I assume everyone here knows but of course I am probably wrong) if he doesn't get the Queen's permission he can petition parliament and wait 12 months before announcing an engagement.

The story may very well be true but...

It also says that they plan to marry at St Paul's following the 'tradition' started by his parents.

I will wait and see.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

The problem with that article, would be that any decent man would ask HM's permission before proposing to the girl.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Courtier

I actually didn't know that they had to wait until 25 to be married...that's interesting.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

William could have gotten married before he was 25, but The Queen would had to have given her permission first, or he would risk losing his place in the line of succession. After 25, if The Queen refuses, he can petition Parliament for permission and marry after a one-year wait.

I agree, Skydragon, if William's a decent guy, he'd ask HM. I don't doubt that he will.

HM The Queen
Old 06-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

In England is it also customary for the guy to ask the girls dad before he proposes? I understand William is the future king and he only needs the queen and parliaments permission to marry but I'm curious if he'd ask her dad before or maybe after he gets the greenlight from parliament and HM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 PM

I think he will. William seems to be a gentleman in that sense.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:55 AM
Majesty

He wouldn't lose his place in the order of succession. The marriage simply wouldn't be legal and Kate wouldn't be Princess Wiliam, or whatever title William would otherwise assume. No child from the 'marriage' would be able to succeed to the throne.

This is what happened to George IV. He 'married' Mrs Fitzherbert, a Roman Catholic but didn't lose his place because it wasn't a legal marriage and therefore didn't count. Had George III given his consent to that marriage George IV would have lost his place due to her being a Roman Catholic but as no consent, from either King or Parliament was given, no legal marriage took place and George IV was able to contract a legal marriage and father a legitimate child - the ill-fated Princess Charlotte. In time George IV became King despite his 'marriage' to the Roman Catholic Mrs Fiztherbert
Old 06-30-2009, 05:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
In England is it also customary for the guy to ask the girls dad before he proposes? I understand William is the future king and he only needs the queen and parliaments permission to marry but I'm curious if he'd ask her dad before or maybe after he gets the greenlight from parliament and HM.
It is still customary for the young man to ask the girls father, he is supposed to say 'can you keep her in the style to which she is accustomed'.

The problem there would be if, for whatever reason HM refused to allow the marriage and William then had to apply to parliament, it would make it worse for Kate, (IMO). To me it makes more sense to seek HM's approval, before speaking to Kate's father or to Kate.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 AM
Majesty

I so agree with this.

Unless he already knows that his grandmother and Kate's father are going to approve then he shouldn't be asking Kate, in case he then has to turn around and say 'sorry - granny says no so I have to petition parliament and that isn't something that I am prepared to do'

I suspect that, if he is really about to ask her, he has already sounded out HM and Kate's father, has the right answer and may really be about to officially ask.

On the other hand....

they may have already decided on a timeline for their future and the papers are once again publishing a story for the sake of it without any real substance - as they have been doing since at least 2005.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Courtier

I suspect that if Prince William has serious intentions as far as Kate Middleton is concerned he has spoken about his marriage a long time ago to the Queen.
Perhaps he doesn´t want to get married and is enjoying his time as a young single eligible man and in the meantime has a girlfriend he can summon at any time as she seems to be always available.
Remember Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart when she said all he had to do was "whistle"?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I suspect that if Prince William has serious intentions as far as Kate Middleton is concerned he has spoken about his marriage a long time ago to the Queen.
I agree with this -- I cannot imagine that the senior members of the family would have let William carry out such a long-term relationship without sitting him down and discussing the implications with him. I feel like these two are indeed headed toward marriage, and if I'm right about that, I'm sure The Queen, Prince Philip, and Prince Charles have all been consulted already.

HM The Queen
Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Courtier

I also can't see the Queen stopping any marriages her grandchildren want to take part in unless the girl in question is visibly insane. She seems like the type who likes to keep the peace and maintain low drama. Besides, love is hard to fight.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I also can't see the Queen stopping any marriages her grandchildren want to take part in unless the girl in question is visibly insane. She seems like the type who likes to keep the peace and maintain low drama. Besides, love is hard to fight.
I would agree with you wholeheartedly if it weren´t for a little detail, the girl that Prince William marries will be Queen of England, the successor of Queen Eizabeth the Queen Mother. In the other
grandchildren´s cases I can´t see any interference from the Queen at all.
What did Prince Charles say about love? "Whatever that is" but what the Queen of England is, consort or not, Queen Elizabeth II knows very well.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:34 AM
Nobility

These rumours and musings are never ending. I'm drawn by these two attractive followers of each other. They to me form a unison that one may find in those who seek wedding chapels. We always search and find for our greater making in our way in life. And there is often no better way of finding our vision of hopefulness than in an altar. The further their relationship goes the closer we imagine there will be a wedding bell. I personally don't see fault in these two loving each other to no end, and it gives me great pleasure to see them being happy so. They deserve each other and they will look forward to keeping with demand for what the public needs in mind for a better tomorrow. William seems ever the championed soul and her leading lady a beauty to bestow. I hope it all does go well for this beaming couple. I guess you can say I'm a fan. They to me withhold all that it is to be bearers of the land. I hope England does great. I'm sure they will.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I think this sums up the situation perfectly - the Queen wouldn't want to play into the media's hands by saying no to a Wills and Kate marriage and causing all types of headlines. A Royal Wedding soon is inevitable.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Courtier

I think if the Queen was not in favour of Kate being a wife for William she would have told him so and Kate would have been on her way out ages ago. I think it's purely a matter of 'when they will get married' rather than 'if they will get married.'
Old 07-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
This week's No Idea says that William will propose on Diana's birthday and that he will formally ask the Queen's permission in August at Balmoral - which is, according to the article, the reason for her going.
Well todays the second of july and we haven't heard anything. And being the heir, i don't doubt it would be released as soon as possible.
Wouldn't he ask the Queen before proposing not after?

I very much doubt that Elizabeth will stop Williams marriage to anyone, especially Katherine. I also think that he will ask both HM and Katherines father aswell, and anybody else he is believes he should.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Courtier

I dont' think he would ask on Diana's birthday. He will make thier own special day and have just for them. I don't think he wants any Daina/Kate days ...
Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
I dont' think he would ask on Diana's birthday. He will make thier own special day and have just for them. I don't think he wants any Daina/Kate days ...
Yes I suppose your right.
July 1st will forever be remembered as Diana's birthday and I don't think Will's would want to ruin that.