William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if they have to marry them, isn't that another Charles and Diana? Guess what, it would not be the first time two people who have dated for a while have broken up! What would be the big deal, it has happened many times before, it's a little thing called "life". It can be tough, but there will be a bright light ahead.

I used the word 'publicly' for a reason - I am fully aware of people who have been together for years (and some even longer than 6 years) but they haven't had it splashed around the world's media, been discussed for pages etc on public fora etc.

It is the public side of things that concerns me.

I suspect that if Charles and Diana had been together for 6 years they wouldn't have married (actually I think if they had been together for 6 months they wouldn't have been married - based on the fact that both seemed to have doubts by July 1981).

I think it's a case where we all interpret something different based on the photographic evidence we see. You see a man who is not in love with his partner; I see a naturally reserved man who does not like being photographed and doesn't want to be demonstrative with her in the glare of the media. After all, he's more physically affectionate with her in photos where they assumed they had more privacy (the long-range paparazzi pictures of them in the tent at polo on his birthday; the cell-phone photos of them dancing quite close at his birthday party).

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with either interpretation, and we're all going to have different ones until they finally reveal what the outcome of this relationship is going to be.

Sorry Ella Kay, I haven't seen those photos, are they on this forum?

Of course interpretation is subjective but verbal communication and actions not so much. He has publicly stated he doesn't want to marry until 28 or 30 (I would suggest it would be more 30), he's signed up for a long term job that doesn't leave time for long service leave when he's just started regardless if he's royalty or not. I think that speaks volumes about what rung he's on, on the marriage ladder.

Anyway maybe Kate doesn't have any ambitions apart from marrying and having children and this is why she hasn't accomplished much in the past few years. There's nothing wrong with that but to be in a position (even decorative such as royalty) I believe one needs experiences be they good or bad to know oneself and how to deal with people. She seems like a girl-woman who's been sheltered for no real reason.

I used the word 'publicly' for a reason - I am fully aware of people who have been together for years (and some even longer than 6 years) but they haven't had it splashed around the world's media, been discussed for pages etc on public fora etc.

It is the public side of things that concerns me.

I suspect that if Charles and Diana had been together for 6 years they wouldn't have married (actually I think if they had been together for 6 months they wouldn't have been married - based on the fact that both seemed to have doubts by July 1981).

Your post has made me think. Prince William and Kate have been together for years, very intimately from what we have heard from the papers, what about married people, some of them are together for many many years, 5, 10, 20, 30 and they break up so a mere couple "going together" as they say, is nothing in comparison - that is if they break up. One member of the married couple is "dumped" or perhaps it is mutual, but let us say in this case "dumped", does that mean the "dumped" one won´t find someone to marry him/her ever again?

Your post has made me think. Prince William and Kate have been together for years, very intimately from what we have heard from the papers, what about married people, some of them are together for many many years, 5, 10, 20, 30 and they break up so a mere couple "going together" as they say, is nothing in comparison - that is if they break up. One member of the married couple is "dumped" or perhaps it is mutual, but let us say in this case "dumped", does that mean the "dumped" one won´t find someone to marry him/her ever again?

I am not referring to ordinary people but to a couple who have had their relationship splashed over the media around the world.

Look how hard it was for either Sarah or Diana to find 'love' again after their royal marriages ended and they made it down the aisle. How much harder will it be for a girl not even deemed good enough to make it down the aisle in the end.

I am fully aware of many ordinary people who have been together for lots of years and then split but I say again I am only referring to this couple due to the public knowledge people have about them.

Christmas came . . . . no Engagement. :pigsfly:

New Year came . . . . no Engagement. :pigsfly:

Are we surprised about "no engagement" . . . . No! :pigsfly:

Anywone for bets over which brother is first up the aisle? :whistling:

I am not referring to ordinary people but to a couple who have had their relationship splashed over the media around the world.

Look how hard it was for either Sarah or Diana to find 'love' again after their royal marriages ended and they made it down the aisle. How much harder will it be for a girl not even deemed good enough to make it down the aisle in the end.

I am fully aware of many ordinary people who have been together for lots of years and then split but I say again I am only referring to this couple due to the public knowledge people have about them.

I understand perfectly LuvnB but the thought of poor Kate being very disappointed (not counting her family) and that she may have difficulty marrying someone else is not really a reason for Prince William to make her the future Queen of England is it? :flowers:

Prince William and Kate have been together for years, very intimately from what we have heard from the papers, what about married people, some of them are together for many many years, 5, 10, 20, 30 and they break up so a mere couple "going together" as they say, is nothing in comparison - that is if they break up. One member of the married couple is "dumped" or perhaps it is mutual, but let us say in this case "dumped", does that mean the "dumped" one won't find someone to marry him/her ever again?
You are, IMO, quite right. Time courting cannot be compared to marriage either, I'm sure we have all heard of couples who after a long courtship, married and then split up. Not all are able to move on after a split, but William and Kate are still young.:flowers:
but the thought of poor Kate being very disappointed (not counting her family) and that she may have difficulty marrying someone else is not really a reason for Prince William to make her the future Queen of England is it? :flowers:
Certainly not!

I believe that the Middleton´s with their little internet business are richer than their wildest dreams, for now they they are really self-satisfied, to other people this is not real money but to them - they have made it.At the moment I believe the Middletons are at the stage of being very self satisfied with what they have achieved, perhaps later on when or if the Middleton parents start to mix with really rich people they will come to want more.
Menarue, as I said, I don't think money is Kate's motivation or, I should have said, certainly not her main motivation. I was just merely stating that there would be a real appeal for someone in her situation.
Your statement about the Middleton being very content is, imo, very true of Kate's parent, but probably less accurate when it comes to their children. As I said, they work for their money. If Party Pieces files for Bankruptcy or if they retire and the children don't take up the business, the income would dry up.
If they have been clever about their investments or if they sell the business for a good price, they will be alright. The operating word here is 'if'. You also have to wonder, with Kate and her sister particularly running with the landed gentry/upper-class crowd, many of them fabulously wealthy, whether they will be content with just being 'alright'.
If you take all that into account and compute the economic crisis that has (maybe only temporarily) reduced the value of their business and investments like the London apartment, I think you cannot deny Windsor money offers a level a financial security Middleton money doesn't offer.
Again, I don't think that's Kate's main motivation, but that doesn't mean the appeal isn't there.
The Windsors are not exactly lavish with their money either, they will not splash out very much with what they consider their own money, that is all safely invested. The money that is spent is from the Crown and the public spend a lot of money on getting ready for visits and tours and protection etc.
Very true. The Windsor aren't flashy like, say, Donald Trump, but let's not deny they live on an extremely grand scale.
Grade-I properties all over the country, first-class treatment wherever they go, an army of staff at their beck and call, more freebies and privileges they know how to do with, total financial security for the monarch and the heir and their family, etc. All that guarantied for life. The kind of lifestyle that is completely out of reach for a girl like Kate, unless she marries in (or at the very least keeps on dating William).
Palace life can be very addictive for certain people, and some girls might think it's worth sacrifying some things for it, like freedom.
I think the main attraction is the respect and for lack of another word "kow-towing" that the royals get that would be really attractive to a lower middle class family.
They have been blessed with a very attractive young daughter, they have been able to give her every opportunity, not only a top University but the chance to meet and mix with the heir to the throne of THEIR country, which one must admit is even more attractive than meeting the heir to the throne of a foreign country. To be recognized and respected in your own country gives a certain feeling of satisfaction that would be hard to equal.
I agree that the Windsor money would be appealing but in comparison with the prestige even being related to the royal family gives, it fades into the background.
I completely agree with this statement.

I believe I could get addicted to that kind of living myself - very easily. :flowers:
Of course the crisis looms and I doubt that people will be lavishing money on paper hats and gadgets for their childrens´ parties if they suffer the so called "crunch" IMO this kind of purchase will be the first to go. Perhaps they have invested their money wisely, and in the right bank.....and they will be able to keep up the life they have made for themselves.

Anyone for bets??

Yes,Marg!!Meeeeee!!
I bet 5,000 euros that Willy will take advantage of the Carnival...it starts soon,in late February...:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Sorry Ella Kay, I haven't seen those photos, are they on this forum?

I don't know if they're on the forum or not ... both sets of pictures are from his birthday weekend last June. I'll try to scrounge up a link.

ETA: Here's one, and here's another.

Of course interpretation is subjective but verbal communication and actions not so much. He has publicly stated he doesn't want to marry until 28 or 30 (I would suggest it would be more 30), he's signed up for a long term job that doesn't leave time for long service leave when he's just started regardless if he's royalty or not. I think that speaks volumes about what rung he's on, on the marriage ladder.

I think people put way too much stock in that "28 or 30" quote. For one, William said it to reporters, and I doubt that he feels comfortable making sure statements about his personal life to the media. He may have just been throwing something out there to try to get them off his back. Also, people say lots of things about their ideas about relationships and then later change their minds. Just because he's said that he wants to wait that long doesn't mean he will. But, really, he'll be 27 this year, and a wedding in 2010 would put him at ... 28. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility.

Also, I think it's been discussed here in detail that the SAR job likely won't be one that would preclude having a relationship or a marriage. He'll be stationed in Britain, so leave periods won't be so crucial.

Anyway maybe Kate doesn't have any ambitions apart from marrying and having children and this is why she hasn't accomplished much in the past few years. There's nothing wrong with that but to be in a position (even decorative such as royalty) I believe one needs experiences be they good or bad to know oneself and how to deal with people. She seems like a girl-woman who's been sheltered for no real reason.

I don't know how we can assume that she hasn't had those kinds of opportunities. I also think it would be presumptuous to say that she hasn't accomplished much since college -- we just don't know the particulars.

But Diana came from such a background...palaces, tiaras and galas

Yes, but Diana wasn't a "Lady" all her life - there were reports about just how delighted she was to finally become "Lady" instead of plain Hon. Miss Diana Spencer. Even though it meant that her grandfather had just died. But even then Diana knew that only a successful marriage would give her a palace and tiaras of her own, as all this was entailed and reserved for her father's and after him for her brother's wife. You have no idea how many "Lady First name This" and "Lady First name That" are around who haven't seen any palace or tiara for years except for the rare occasion of a family party because they decided to follow a chosen career part and not marry into the aristocracy themselves or marry outside their family's level. So I believe yes, Diana loved the trappings of her status and that's why she chose to marry The Prince of Wales, not realising that it would mean to marry Charles, the man and his whole family, who prefer a much more austere/simple lifestyle than most people imagine.

The Spencers were quite a bit closer to the RF than many of the other Lady This and That families though and always quite blue blooded in their own right. Other than the unhappy event of her father predeceasing her grandfather, Diana was always going to become a Lady at some point, so let's not paint her as someone who was excited to see her grandfather die.

Her biography, at least the one I read said that she jumped all round her school, she was still at school saying "Now I am a Lady". Children and young girls can have these attitudes and we don´t have to condemn them for this, she was excited that at last she would be Lady Diana and showed she was. She probably wasn´t that close to her grandfather either but I don´t think this showed she was happy he was dead - what it showed she was happy about was being a Lady.... In these circles it was a definite promotion.

Yes, and young girls are happy with anything that makes them seen more "grown up"; and I think that having the title of "Lady" would have that effect. :flowers:

I have the impression that--although she thought highly of her Grandmother Spencer--she wasn't attached to her grandfather. Perhaps she picked up on the relationship between him and her father.:ermm:

Children and young girls can have these attitudes and we don´t have to condemn them for this, she was excited that at last she would be Lady Diana and showed she was. She probably wasn´t that close to her grandfather either but I don´t think this showed she was happy he was dead - what it showed she was happy about was being a Lady.... In these circles it was a definite promotion.

Ok, Have William and Kate returned from there trip yet ... the news in the US is so slow on these topics!! We don't know anything untill two days after ...my work blocks all the good web sites ..

But even then Diana knew that only a successful marriage would give her a palace and tiaras of her own, as all this was entailed and reserved for her father's and after him for her brother's wife. You have no idea how many "Lady First name This" and "Lady First name That" are around who haven't seen any palace or tiara for years except for the rare occasion of a family party because they decided to follow a chosen career part and not marry into the aristocracy themselves or marry outside their family's level. So I believe yes, Diana loved the trappings of her status and that's why she chose to marry The Prince of Wales, not realising that it would mean to marry Charles, the man and his whole family, who prefer a much more austere/simple lifestyle than most people imagine.
I agree, added to which it was apparently always her fathers dearest wish to marry into the Royal Family, it really didn't matter which daughter it was.

The Spencer girls were just some of the many that a few of the nobility hoped could be used to advance their families, many others knew the life their daughters would be expected to live and did not wish to sacrifice them.
-----------------------
People seem to be presuming that the credit crunch is affecting everyone in the UK, when of course it is not. The working and lower middle classes are the ones suffering the effects, which of course excludes the Middletons. The type of people who use Party Pieces are unlikely to stop having parties.

Ok, Have William and Kate returned from there trip yet ... the news in the US is so slow on these topics!! We don't know anything untill two days after ...my work blocks all the good web sites ..
Yes. I posted a link to Sun in William and Kate current events.

Christmas came . . . . no Engagement. :pigsfly:

New Year came . . . . no Engagement. :pigsfly:

Are we surprised about "no engagement" . . . . No! :pigsfly:

Anywone for bets over which brother is first up the aisle? :whistling:

Too Right Marg!:lol:

It seems Britain won't have a Queen Catherine for the fifth time (am I right?)!

We don't know.

All we know is that their has been no annoucement of an engagement.

From that we assume that William hasn't asked her but... we simply don't know.

Hahaha, I know, what I ask is if she'd be the fifth queen consort called Katherine. Henry VII had three himself, and had Catherine of Valois, so I think she would be the fifth with this name.

You're neither right nor wrong. Despite what anyone has hoped, negative or positive, they seem to be neither engaged nor broken up.

Hahaha, I know, what I ask is if she'd be the fifth queen consort called Katherine. Henry VII had three himself, and had Catherine of Valois, so I think she would be the fifth with this name.

Nope. You're missing Catherine of Braganza, queen consort of Charles II. Catherine of Valois was consort to Henry V, and Henry VIII was the one with three Catherines: Aragon, Howard, and Parr. That would make Kate the sixth, should she and William marry and should William become king.

Nope. You're missing Catherine of Braganza, queen consort of Charles II.

So will she be the sixth? :ermm:
Well, I think it really doesn't matter. I hope they get engagement soon, Queen Elizabeth II is getting older and older and William has to have issue to the throne.

I don't think we've ever seen them fly in together! I was shocked and happy when I saw them together at the airport.

So will she be the sixth? :ermm:

If they marry, and if William becomes king, I believe this is true.

I don't think we've ever seen them fly in together!

I can't ever remember seeing pictures of them at an airport together before either. It may be a first! It was good to see them together and looking contented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom