The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Having said that, the public's appreciation won't come for free. It will help if the wedding is seen as the right occasion at the right time and Buckingham Palace and Clarence House will have to orchestrate the right spin, with the couple presenting themselves as trustworthy people. If that works out - priceless. If not - a life time opportunity wasted.
I agree completely, DoM. That's why I think it would be fabulous to see a wedding used as a way to support some of the couple's charity patronages. A concert would be a great way to do so (and William and Kate were instrumental in planning the Concert for Diana, so they've got experience). Selling commemorative pieces to benefit a charity would also be a great move on the part of the palace.

I think they could do some nice things to make the wedding both a celebration of their relationship and a celebration of Britain and its people.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 06-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I think we can say with some certainty that Kate will be William's bride. She can deal with the media attention well, she's clearly trust-worthy and she has never put a foot wrong in any big way to publicly embarrass herself, plus I just don't see him ending it again. Not many women will put up with his lifestyle, it comes with a lot of scrutiny.

That's the main reason I decided to bring up their wedding now, because Kate seems to be here to stay.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Courtier

Zembla, I agree it is highly likely that Kate is the one!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't like Kate very much and I don't think I would be too happy if she became my Queen. I don't think she would cope with the pressure of being a royal wife and i think she would possible crack under pressure. On the other hand she does seem to make William so. It is of course his decison after all.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I don't think she would cope with the pressure of being a royal wife and i think she would possible crack under pressure.
How so? She hasn't cracked under the media pressure during the 5 years since it was revealed she was William's girlfriend. That shows Kate's got tough skin, and would likely survive being a royal.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
How so? She hasn't cracked under the media pressure during the 5 years since it was revealed she was William's girlfriend. That shows Kate's got tough skin, and would likely survive being a royal.
I didn't mean the media she seems to be doing just fine. Although she has asked for police protection and I believe recieved it, Diana seemed to manage fine before her marraige without protection.

I meant the pressure of being a royal wife, not specifically media pressure.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Although she has asked for police protection and I believe recieved it, Diana seemed to manage fine before her marraige without protection.
As far as I know, any mentions of police protection have so far just been tabloid rumors, haven't they?

One thing she's got going for her: she's loyal. That goes a long, long way in the royal family.

HM The Queen
Old 06-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I didn't mean the media she seems to be doing just fine. Although she has asked for police protection and I believe recieved it, Diana seemed to manage fine before her marraige without protection.
As I recall Diana did not manage fine at all behind the sences! I can remember her covering her face and saying in a couple interveiws how she thought it would stop and it never did (not saying I don't think some was sought out) and Diana's Father and Mother also made comments about their daughter being vertaully on her own before the engagement and how hard it was on her.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
Quote:
As I recall Diana did not manage fine at all behind the sences! I can remember her coving her face and saying in a couple interveiws how she thought it would stop and it never did (not saying I don't think some was sought out) and Diana's Father and Mother also made comments about their daughter being vertaully on her own before the engagement and how hard it was on her.
She managed with protection, which is more than can be said for Kate. Look I stated my opinion, your opinion differs and I respect that. The media buzz around ex-royals and royals will never stop, the cameras a still on Fergie.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

But, again, Kate doesn't have official royal protection officers, unless I've missed an article that was more than News of the World or Mail speculations. She has a lawyer that she's called to stop the increasingly intrusive media on more than one occasion, but I don't think she has a protection officer.

HM The Queen
Old 06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

i thank that catherine would hold up fine under the pressure of being married to the prince. she has done wonderfully so far so there's no reason to think that a marriage would change that.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Well said, Duchess. An opinion that I feel as well.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the situation with Diana was different. Charles went to some lengths to keep the relationship secret, which William's never done. And after Diana was confirmed to be his girlfriend, there was apparently pressure for him to propose fairly quickly and then they got married within a matter of months of the engagement. There was none of this hanging around for years on end that's going on with William and Kate.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She managed with protection, which is more than can be said for Kate. Look I stated my opinion, your opinion differs and I respect that. The media buzz around ex-royals and royals will never stop, the cameras a still on Fergie.
While I respect your opinion, Diana did not recieve Royal protection untill after her engagement and for that matter even after their wedding she always complained about the intrusion of the media, but I will agree to disagree with you and call a turths
Old 06-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Courtier

I think Kate's attorney has helped with the pap attention because there are rarely any candid pics of her anymore. But that may have more to do with her living primarily with her parents now instead of in London where they all have easier access.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Without going off track, cause I dunno if it's been discussed but they did win a case last year against the paparazzi so now she's mostly only allowed to be photographed when she's with William. I don't know the full details but I read about it on another royal forum.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Are you talking about the PCC complaint, ghost_night? She did file a complaint in 2007, but it was against the Daily Mirror for publishing paparazzi photos, not against the paparazzi for taking the photos. She said that the paper had published a photo that was taken while she was being harassed by photographers. There wasn't a case, in the end -- she dropped the complaint a month later after the editor of the paper apologized.

I don't think there's any prohibition on paparazzi taking pictures of her any more than there is of paparazzi taking pictures of anyone else in a harassment situation. Harassing anyone by taking photos of them is against the UK's PCC regulations, I believe. Perhaps the papers are more wary of publishing photos after the complaint, because they don't want to face the negative publicity (and potential financial consequences) that follows a PCC violation.

Mostly I think we see fewer of them now because, as zembla pointed out, she doesn't live in London anymore.

Here's a BBC article on the original complaint, and here's a Reuters piece on the settlement. Also, here's a broader article from the BBC about the situation with Kate and the paparazzi. All are from 2007.

HM The Queen
Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Apparently the case was brought up at an annual conference in 2008 held in Australia and the panel head was Lord Justice Scott Baker. I kept reading on and apparently he was talking about Diana and brought up Kate in that convo, I'm thinking more or less it was just a reference to her past PCC complaint from 2007 nothing new, I think they just put two and two together and more or less assumed that's why were not getting as many papz pics of Kate. Then again I'm not 100% sure about all this but it's what I've managed to gather.

ETA: Here's a quote from the press
Quote:
Lord Baker told the Asia-Pacific Coroners' Society conference in Adelaide on Wednesday that the role of the paparazzi was one of the many aspects he had to take into account during his inquiry.

He said issues surrounding the paparazzi remained serious for the royal family.

“You only have to look at the papers today to see the paparazzi are hounding Kate Middleton in the same way Diana was previously being hounded,” he said.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
IN case you woke up this morning and asked yourselves, "Selves, is Prince William going to really finally eventu ally marry this Kate Middleton pip he's been dating?" At least that's what I wondered when I woke up, and here's what one court-watcher replied:

"He has to. Been seeing her too long not to. It would be another embarrassment for the Palace. The Queen's accepted her at events, which means she's got the royal approval. Understand, he's not all that easy and affable as he comes off. He's a bit of an arrogant young man who expects people to bow and scrape."

And Middleton herself? "Not smart. Hasn't picked up a book in her life. But very calculating. Her mother's been planning this her whole life. And she knew how to play hard to get."

"The wedding will probably be next year after he finishes military service. Face it, London is very depressed. The Crown could use a royal wedding at this point."
AWAIT ROYAL WEDDING - New York Post
Old 06-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Courtier

Are they move to Cailfornia?? Is that Joke???
Prince William and Heiress Kate Middleton Look at Houses on the Market in Malibu - Real Estate Channel Global News Center

Closed Thread