The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

This one has been going through my mind lately, lets say they announce their engagement, since William has always seemed to me as very private do you think it's possible he wouldn't want the wedding televised , honestly I'd be pissed. I know I'm rushing here but just been thinking about it.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 PM

Maybe he and Kate would marry in secret, and the televised version would be just for the masses!

No, seriously, I don't see Wills doing that. He understands the monarchy needs to be visible, and the public would be outraged if he didn't televise his wedding.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 PM

Maybe we'll soon find out?

Prince William Reportedly Set To Announce Engagement To Kate Middleton | AHN | May 14, 2009

Quote:
Britain's Prince William is set to announce his engagement within the next few months, according to well-informed sources. The future king - who made his first public appearance with girlfriend Kate Middleton for five months at a polo match over the weekend - is odds-on with bookmakers to propose to Kate by the end of this year after receiving a sudden rush of knowledgeable bets.

They get his age wrong, but maybe something will happen?

Old 05-15-2009, 12:03 AM
Heir Apparent

I want an announcement at this point I don't care when I'm just dying to hear it haha I sure hope William is smart enough to know he'll most likely have to televise it, although I'm sure the Queen would probably advise it even if he didn't want it seeing as he will be King one day so this would be a big thing.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Administrator

IF William marries Kate (within the next two years) I am thinking its going to be somewhat low key (as low key as a British royal wedding can be) due to the economy. The Windsors won't want to seem wasteful particularly when a lot of people are struggling. And when I say low key... I don't mean Gloucester/Kent low key. A little more like Lady Chatto and Lord Linley's wedding but a lot bigger. Bigger than the Chatto/Linleley's wedding but smaller than Andrew/Sarah and definitely Charles/Diana.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd be ok if it was something like Peter/Autum's wedding in general terms except televised but from the pics it looked quite beautiful and not too expensive.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posts discussing the marriage of Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson have been moved to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor thread.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
IF William marries Kate (within the next two years) I am thinking its going to be somewhat low key (as low key as a British royal wedding can be) due to the economy. The Windsors won't want to seem wasteful particularly when a lot of people are struggling. And when I say low key... I don't mean Gloucester/Kent low key. A little more like Lady Chatto and Lord Linley's wedding but a lot bigger. Bigger than the Chatto/Linleley's wedding but smaller than Andrew/Sarah and definitely Charles/Diana.
Personally I think if he marries while the Queen is still alive then he should have a smaller wedding, similar to Edwards, regardless of the economic situation in the UK at the time. If he marries when Charles is King then I would like to see him have a larger (but not as large as the one in '81)wedding.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Personally I think if he marries while the Queen is still alive then he should have a smaller wedding, similar to Edwards, regardless of the economic situation in the UK at the time. If he marries when Charles is King then I would like to see him have a larger (but not as large as the one in '81)wedding.
IMO it is not possible to have a "downsized" wedding, a la Edward, for the future heir of the british throne. There will be dignitaries from all over the commonwealth, main representatives of world-royalty etc etc. Plus the world-wide media interest - especially in Britain the papers will expect a lot and they could spoil the atmosphere / influence the public opinion when moaning about a low key wedding.

And I don't think it makes any difference that William, in case he marries whilst Charles is still PoW, is not the 1st in line but only 2nd. It's not an explanation for a low key wedding. He is the future King, that's all that counts. Who cares about Peter Philips or Prince Edward anyway.

Overall I think a wedding at this stage, major recession and a difficult time for all public institutions like monarchy, parliament etc would be seen as quite unsuitable. Of course it's a private decision but the public would ask why now as there is no obvious rush for William to get married. He already has had a girlfriend for such a long time, nobody bothers if he goes on like that for another five years.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Majesty

If William and Kate decide to get married now then why shouldn't they?

They have as much right as anyone else to get married and if that means a low key wedding ala Edward because of the economy so be it.

To say that they have to delay getting married because of the economy is not fair to the people concerned.

I suspect that they won't marry for a number of years - simply because I think William doesn't really want to get married at all and will put it off as long as possible so that he can be 'free' from the hassles that his parents' marriage was. At the moment he has the best of both worlds - a constant woman by his side but still a bachelor when it suits him.

I don't see a marriage before the London Olympics and partly because of the costs of the Olympics on top of everything else but also mainly because I don't see William wanting to marry at all until he finishes his full time military service and that I think takes him to about 2012 - Olympic and Jubilee Year so a royal marriage is out that year.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't see a marriage before the London Olympics and partly because of the costs of the Olympics on top of everything else but also mainly because I don't see William wanting to marry at all until he finishes his full time military service and that I think takes him to about 2012 - Olympic and Jubilee Year so a royal marriage is out that year.
If he's going to marry Kate, I doubt they will wait that long.

My guess is still summer 2010. He will be finished with his SAR training right about then, and that would put both of them at 28. He'll have a short interim period in summer 2010, and then he'll begin his full-time SAR job. I think they'll marry in that interim and then move together to live as a married couple on whatever military base William's posted to.

I think the wedding will be quite a bit smaller than '81 -- but I wonder if a slightly scaled-down '86 isn't actually something more like what we'll see. A wedding at Westminster Abbey means the drive back to Buckingham Palace would be much shorter and would require less security. The Abbey is more than grand enough for the wedding of the second-in-line to the throne, but it's not as massive as St. Paul's. They could economize in little ways along the way -- with the opulence of the dress, the music, the flowers, etc.

Anyway, that's what I see reflected in my magical crystal ball. I think 2010 will be like 2004 -- a double royal-wedding summer.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 05-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Majesty

You may very well be right but I don't think the RF would like to have Kate launched on her life as a royal wife while her husband couldn't support her.

That is a major reason why I don't see him marrying before he has finished with the SAR. They would be able to start full-time royal duties together rather than have her start them alone. Once married it would be expected that she would be a full-time royal from day 1 and having him by her side at first would be expected.

We will, of course, have to wait and see.

Another factor against a 2010 wedding is the fact that the government must go to the polls no later than 3rd June 2010. It is completely inconceivable that the British RF would have a major marriage being planned etc during the lead up to an election as it would/could become an election issue. With William not really available due to training until about then I don't see an engagement before the middle of next year but he would only have a short window before going off on duty.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
You may very well be right but I don't think the RF would like to have Kate launched on her life as a royal wife while her husband couldn't support her.

That is a major reason why I don't see him marrying before he has finished with the SAR. They would be able to start full-time royal duties together rather than have her start them alone. Once married it would be expected that she would be a full-time royal from day 1 and having him by her side at first would be expected.
I wonder if they wouldn't start off with a similar schedule to the one he has now -- only making joint appearances. They might be able to ease her into the royal life that way, starting them off as a pair initially and then slowly moving her into more scheduled duties on her own. As a military couple, they might be able to put off full-blown royal-dom for a while, depending on how much money they're getting from the taxpayers.

The election is going to be an interesting little wrinkle in all of this, though -- we haven't seen a royal wedding in an election year, for the very reasons you pointed out, I'm sure.

HM The Queen
Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Actually I think that whole easing her into royal life thing sounds really good. I'm kinda thinking the whole one day your a normal citizen and then the next minute wham your a royal way of life isn't working from what I've seen, I think it's too much of a change too quickly for one person to handle. I just hope we don't go down the oh Kate will be getting all the attention and William will become jealous way of life that's another one of my fears for them if they get married, but I don't really know if William is the jealous type so I guess I can't comment there.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I wonder if they wouldn't start off with a similar schedule to the one he has now -- only making joint appearances. They might be able to ease her into the royal life that way, starting them off as a pair initially and then slowly moving her into more scheduled duties on her own. As a military couple, they might be able to put off full-blown royal-dom for a while, depending on how much money they're getting from the taxpayers.

The election is going to be an interesting little wrinkle in all of this, though -- we haven't seen a royal wedding in an election year, for the very reasons you pointed out, I'm sure.

William won't get anything from the taxpayers, other than expenses.

He will be supported from the Duchy of Cornwall estate which is to provide for the heir and his family so Charles, just as he does now, will continue to support his sons. William does, of course, have his own income from Diana's estate.

I really don't see the British public settling for a royal wedding and then not having them on full time royal duties.

I really do think that is what will happen - finish SAR service, marry, start full time duties with occasional breaks for the birth of a couple of children and that will be that for the rest of their lives (or until Britain becomes sick of the entire royal family and becomes a republic, which I do see happening but not just yet).
Old 05-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Courtier

Ella Kay have you seen this maybe your dates will be right after all lol ....I hope so ..
Prince William Wants To Marry Girlfriend Kate Middleton Next Year | AHN | May 19, 2009
Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Theydid look very relaxed together on that last outing. I wondered at the time whether there had been a definite decision made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
Ella Kay have you seen this maybe your dates will be right after all lol ....I hope so ..
Prince William Wants To Marry Girlfriend Kate Middleton Next Year | AHN | May 19, 2009
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ann View Post
Hee ... if that's the case, maybe I should start a side job as a celebrity psychic!

HM The Queen
Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm sure that some "psychics" have done that with few qualifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
Hee ... if that's the case, maybe I should start a side job as a celebrity psychic!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Courtier

Hello Magazine .. Article ... Wedding Next Year!

Hello! magazine
Hello Magazine ... The Buzz is there will be a Wedding Next Year.
Full Interview gives further details.