The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Nobility

To each his reach. Just those words sound low budget for a class of people who spend alot of time in the "drawing room."

Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Nobility

The Daily Star
Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Meet one’s parents

Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
Just because an engagement is announced 6 months prior to the ceremony does not preclude planning to have been undertaken long before then. Parts of William's wedding ceremony I'm sure were in place as Charles and Diana were picking out baby names. These people are I think are a step above some tacky wedding planner planning a ceremony for someone down the block six months out.
I was referring to the suggestion that there is January engagement and a June wedding. I don't think that's possible. It's a major security operation, very much unlike 1981 and the media involvement has quadrupled or so since then. Plus, and I am repeating myself, the country is not in a mood for a wedding. Britain is one of the most affected countries by recession and things are likely to get worse this or even next year. Today they are talking about new bailouts and that if they had had a crystal ball they wouldn't have applied for the Olympic Games that are already stretching finance or security to the limit. I stick with my opinion, a royal wedding at this stage does not give a popularity boost but will rather harm and as there is no urgency for William to get married at this stage anyway, the BRF will carefully listen to the public view.

btw I think this does belong into the musings thread, maybe a moderator is kind enough to shift
Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Nobility

I was commenting on the time frame between an engagement announcement for these two and their wedding day. I was not speculating on a 2009 wedding, which I in no way shape or form will occur. I am more of the mind that nothing will happen until William's training is complete in the next several years.

It can be the year 2309 when guests can be beamed into the church, I maintain that SOME of the plans for that ceremony whenever it occurs are in place. A royal wedding could exactly be something to gin up spirits, much like the Queen and Duke of Edinborough's wedding in 1947. No, this is not 1947, but hearts and national pride don't change be it 1947 or 3947.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
I was commenting on the time frame between an engagement announcement for these two and their wedding day. I was not speculating on a 2009 wedding, which I in no way shape or form will occur. I am more of the mind that nothing will happen until William's training is complete in the next several years.
completely agree

Quote:
It can be the year 2309 when guests can be beamed into the church, I maintain that SOME of the plans for that ceremony whenever it occurs are in place.
Also agree - but depending on how long William intends to wait guests won't be beamed into church anymore - by then there will be a virtual church and those who are still interested in the monarchy are welcome to be conferenced in.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
If they break up, fine, but I just don't see that on the cards now. Things long ago have gone way too far. If inviting her parents to Birkhall is true, it's just one more cog in the Queen's wedding carriage wheel.

And the day he gets married I'll be popping the cork, no matter what the bride's name is. Almost.
Soa re you saying it is too late to dump her! I hope not, look William will be gone for a few years, and if he realizes he does not want to marry her and save himself from a bad marriage, then I suggest he does. He hasn't proposed to her after all of these years, never even hinted at it. Oh yeah, I wouldn't really believe about the Scottish trip either.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
"The Daily Star"??? Not in my drawing room.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
So are you saying it is too late to dump her! I hope not, look William will be gone for a few years, and if he realizes he does not want to marry her and save himself from a bad marriage, then I suggest he does.
I have to admit to being curious, where is he going for a few years?
Old 01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
According to this post Prince William and Kate Middleton current events 7: November 2008 to October 2009 they were in Colchester on Dec 2nd not a day or two ago .

ETA: Sorry didn't see Luv2Cruise's post
This is PRECISELY why I rail against those sites. They have an agenda. I mean no offense to you, Amelia.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Let's settle down and watch as events unfold, if they do.
We've been through the "heightened engagement speculation fever" often enough to not get too carried away.
We'll all know the truth if an engagement is announced, and if it isn't, we'll get ready to open Part 2 of the Wills 'n Kate Engagement rumours and ramblings and repetitions thread.
Whichever event occurs first at least some of our members will be happy.

If we find ourselves the focus of unwanted attention from people who come here with the sole purpose of playing games, they'll be seen off as the last game-player was seen off.

Keep calm, keep cool, and enjoy the show, whatever it brings.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
He hasn't proposed to her after all of these years, never even hinted at it.
And you know this how???? Have you been there all along, sitting between them as they talked in their private moments??
Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Royal Highness

if it's true, then it's certainly interesting. isn't it significant when the royals meet with the parents?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
if it's true, then it's certainly interesting. isn't it significant when the royals meet with the parents?
I would think so. Big IF it's true. We were told Mrs. Middleton would be at the races at the Queen's invitation last year and no sign of her at the event. So again we're playing a guessing game with the press!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
If it were true it would be significant, but not as significant as if the Queen wanted to meet them and sent an invitation, but then this could come next.
I feel that Prince Charles is a doting father and would go along with any request his son made him and Camilla is always in agreement with her husband. Let us see if this leads to more than this.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Nobility

I'm not sure the Queen would attempt to meet with the Middletons before her grandson becomes publicly and officially engaged to Kate, at the earliest. They are not stupid. I would think they are full aware of what an invitation from the Queen to meet the Middletons before an engagement is announced would mean to the world, including my cat -- a de facto engagement announcement on its face -- and the resulting media circus nightmare it would create for all of them.

My sense is that William will continue to play this thing out as close to the vest as he possibly can. We know how much he ADORES press attention, after all. A low-key courtship with no outward displays of romantic affection, a low-key announcement. Boo William, BOO!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Point is that even the queen and prince Philip sometimes attend a house party at the weekends and it's quite easy for them to ask the host to invite somebody else discreetly if they so chose. Or have someone pick them up discreetly in Berkshire and drive them into Windsor Castle without anybody seeing them. So we have no idea really if the RF ever met the Middletons and how often. As I've said before, Windsor Castle is just a short drive from the Middleton's home and Catherine could have attended the "Princess school" for months without anyone realising it besides the inner circle. So these are no arguments for me, because even the Royals learned from their experiences with the paparazzi and there are many ways to get around the prying eyes of the "public".

But I believe firmly that the current time of financial crisis is a time which is to be compared to the post-war times, where people longed for hope and a bit of shared glory. I think in times like this politicians remember the old Roman times and settle for "panem and circensis" - offering help with the daily needs (panem = bread) and some sort of public entertainment show (circensis = games, circus) in order to keep their citizens from protesting. So I believe a Royal engagement and wedding would be a great thing from the politicians' POV and the "disappearance" of Catherine from public view would have given her time to make up her mind if she wants to become the center of such a show.

If she really is at Birkhall now, it could well be that she is given the last chance to make up her mind before their coming out as an engaged couple. IMHO, of course.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Nobility

I totally agree with you. Great post.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Hasn't Ms. Middleton made up her mind about the relationship by now? It is very unlikely for her and the Middletons to say no to a proposal. She is there for "the ring" as any woman similar to Ms. Middleton would do. All these mellifluous attempts to paint a meek image of Ms. Middleton are just lame.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Nobility

I'm quite sure her mind was made up about him before the first date. So now she cherishes her freedom because she knows what's in store the second they finish their engagement walkabout. She'll be the first woman to hone in on the man she wants and wait him out? Please. And if I'm not mistaken, William won't be proposing to the "Middletons," but to their daughter.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
But I believe firmly that the current time of financial crisis is a time which is to be compared to the post-war times, where people longed for hope and a bit of shared glory. I think in times like this politicians remember the old Roman times and settle for "panem and circensis" - offering help with the daily needs (panem = bread) and some sort of public entertainment show (circensis = games, circus) in order to keep their citizens from protesting. So I believe a Royal engagement and wedding would be a great thing from the politicians' POV and the "disappearance" of Catherine from public view would have given her time to make up her mind if she wants to become the center of such a show.
This is what I don't believe. Don't overestimate the Royals' importance these days. In 1947, people held the institution up high, with the icon Queen Elizabeth (consort) who had a bond to the nation (mainly due to the war and kind of a mysterium as the BRF hadn't been exposed by the media yet). These days people care about their jobs, their mortgage, their homes, raising cost of living. Reality. They couldn't care less about Prince William or a royal wedding as they are especially annoyed by the lifestyle of the young royal generation. They do respect HM (who doesn't) and Charles' profile is improving but not to the degree that people think he's essential. These days it's own needs first because people feel let down by institutions in general, the government, politicians etc who give the impression to care more about their power than about their people. These are the vibes I get from the UK, a royal wedding at this stage would only be used for polemic, what does it cost as the taxpayer has to pay a fair share of the bill, follwed by the inevitable question do we still need them? Maybe it was different if the couple in question were charming the nation, winning people over because of their personalities (sorry to mention it but Diana comes to my mind) but they don't. It's rather turning people off to see Prince William who loves nightclubs but hasn't done anything substantial yet to justify any trust in his abilities getting married to Miss Middleton who is seen as a workshy social climber.

If people are well off themselves, they don't bother too much about their royals spending money publicly. But if they are not, they do and the BRF has already understood, see Charles's 60th Birthday celebrations. As low key as possible but inevitable, he can't change his birthday. But to set up William's wedding deliberately in the worst economic climate post-war? Don't think that would be a clever move unless the BRF is looking for controversy.