The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

If William and Kate were dating in the early 70s, when Charles and Camilla first started to do so, they wouldn't be acceptable to the royal family because Kate isn't from the 'right class' nor is she 'pure'.

Charles and Camilla weren't accepted in the 1970s because she wasn't high enough born and her ancestors are far more noble than Kate's. Camilla had a past with previous boyfriends known about and she was also available for Charles.

These same points can be made about Kate but times have changed and therefore no one seems to care that Kate and William are sleeping together and that she has already had other partners (don't remember where I heard that) or that her ancestry isn't royal (Diana, Sarah and Camilla are all descended from Charles II and thus have royal ancestry).

Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I completely agree with you. Times have changed if Camilla and Charles would have begun dating now, nobody would care about their past. Wel they would care of course because of Diana, but they wouldn't have the prejudice of Camilla's past, her family whihc you are right is more noble than Kates. If anything Kate gets treated so much better than Camilla nowadays. Yes she gets hounded by the press but she doesn't get it as bad as Camilla did. Especially as Camilla was counted as the faited mistresses for so long, didn't help that Diana was so popular. Kate has William, no worries about anything. And William is heir to throne yes, but second in line. He isn't like his father was in the 70's he was an heir to throne with a mistresses the people hated and a wife the people loved. I think it was worse for both Camilla and Charles.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
What about Easter?? And than we can have the next announcement on his birthday, and after that....
Announcing engagements must be a really good business for the press!
Exactly! Engagement announcements sell magazines, newspapers, get web traffic, etc. I would be very surprised if this news of an imminent engagement announcement is entirely true.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

At the time that Charles was dating Camilla, in the early 70s, Diana was not even a teenager far less a wife whose husband was cheating on her.

I wasn't referring to the press coverage Camilla received in the 90s after Diana decided to tell the world her version of events but I was comparing the way Charles and Camilla were unable to be together in the 70s, long before Diana was a blimp on the radar, when Charles was the world's most eligible bachelor.

I was comparing Charles in his 20s to William in his 20s and why Charles couldn't marry Camilla whereas William may marry Kate yet she doesn't meet the criteria necessary for Charles 30 years ago.

Camilla was not seen as an appropriate wife for the Prince of Wales, in the 1970s, by the powers that be due to her lack of breeding and past liasons yet Kate has even lower class breeding (I am not having a go at Kate but trying to make a comparison to the ladies concerned) and also has had past liasons but is seen as ok by the powers that be. Times have changed, and no always for the better, but in this case they have. William will be able to marry for love, unlike his father, who had to marry for duty and married the wrong woman as a result.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well it's still Easter here in the US and no annoucement of a break-up/engagement? Let's move the goal posts up further and go for the Queen's birthday.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 04-12-2009, 10:06 PM

I predict the engagement will come out of nowhere, much like Victoria and Daniel.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Kate's got a problem
Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Nobility

Ha. This makes me laugh. My sister-in-law, who is 28, also has her biological clock ticking and she'd like a child before she's 30. A lot of women are the same way, why should Kate be any different?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Majesty

Or like Edward and Sophie. I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonjapearl View Post
I predict the engagement will come out of nowhere, much like Victoria and Daniel.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Aristocracy

After seeing how Kate's press has become less than stellar, for a girlfriend "supposedly" leading to an engagement, I can't see where she is being "readied" or "groomed" for becoming William's fiancee. She still seems to be longtime girlfriend only.
Kate is depicted almost daily by the UK tabloid press, in a negative story. I don't honestly feel the Palace would have allowed such , if she was going to be Pr. William's future Queen Consort. Each new story about her is negative for the most part, she seems to be left out there on her own, when a negative press story arises, taking shelter (as well as supposedly working) in her parents home. Her mother one week seemed to try to defend herself,her family against the press in a roundabout way in the Telegraph a few months ago, that alone made me feel that Kate is on her own as far as her own "pr."

William also has not done what Pr. Edward did for Sophie during the dating process and asked the press to please leave her alone , in so many words. Yes ,Kate sells newspapers, so the press will write about her, but I don't see where anything is being done to bring her under the Palace protective fold, because her press has become so negative before she has even become his fiancee or bride.
Before Sophie married she was rumoured to be staying inside the Palace for a few days a week, for years before, getting acquainted with Palace life. No such thing has been done for Kate, from what I have seen.

I believe Kate may be a long time first serious girlfriend of the Prince in the end, as has happened for several other European Princes in the past.
William is 26 and dating her for at least six of those, still seems quite in University mode with her. University romances do not always lead to marriage and I don't see Pr. William having the maturity yet which makes me believe marriage is around the corner.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I don't know -- she's not getting glowing press exactly these days, but things do seemed to have calmed from the fever-pitch they reached last fall. I think she's done well to move to a place where she can be more protected.

I also doubt that the royal family cares as much about negative press as we might imagine they do. Because really, once you've lived through the Fergie and Diana days, surely this level of hoopla about jobs and roller discos and car phones must roll right off the shoulders.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 04-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I would guess the earliest we would likely know of an engagement is next February, and anything could happen between then and now. Maybe she'll do a Jane Wellesley and take off for more pleasant pastures.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

That's what I'm betting on, iowabelle -- February '10 engagement, June/July '10 wedding. It would correspond perfectly with the ending of his training, and they could start their married life as an RAF couple.

HM The Queen
Old 04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I don't know -- she's not getting glowing press exactly these days, but things do seemed to have calmed from the fever-pitch they reached last fall. I think she's done well to move to a place where she can be more protected.

I also doubt that the royal family cares as much about negative press as we might imagine they do. Because really, once you've lived through the Fergie and Diana days, surely this level of hoopla about jobs and roller discos and car phones must roll right off the shoulders.
I think they would care very much if the girl was going to be William's bride.
From year to year, I haven't believed any of the engagement hype surrounding her. From what I see she went home when the press got bad.
I think in the end she will be his first serious longtime girlfriend.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahMay View Post
After seeing how Kate's press has become less than stellar, for a girlfriend "supposedly" leading to an engagement, I can't see where she is being "readied" or "groomed" for becoming William's fiancee. She still seems to be longtime girlfriend only.
Kate is depicted almost daily by the UK tabloid press, in a negative story. I don't honestly feel the Palace would have allowed such , if she was going to be Pr. William's future Queen Consort. Each new story about her is negative for the most part, she seems to be left out there on her own, when a negative press story arises, taking shelter (as well as supposedly working) in her parents home. Her mother one week seemed to try to defend herself,her family against the press in a roundabout way in the Telegraph a few months ago, that alone made me feel that Kate is on her own as far as her own "pr."

William also has not done what Pr. Edward did for Sophie during the dating process and asked the press to please leave her alone , in so many words. Yes ,Kate sells newspapers, so the press will write about her, but I don't see where anything is being done to bring her under the Palace protective fold, because her press has become so negative before she has even become his fiancee or bride.
Before Sophie married she was rumoured to be staying inside the Palace for a few days a week, for years before, getting acquainted with Palace life. No such thing has been done for Kate, from what I have seen.

I believe Kate may be a long time first serious girlfriend of the Prince in the end, as has happened for several other European Princes in the past.
William is 26 and dating her for at least six of those, still seems quite in University mode with her. University romances do not always lead to marriage and I don't see Pr. William having the maturity yet which makes me believe marriage is around the corner.

William has most certainly asked the press to leave Kate alone as has the then PM Tony Blair. There have been formal and informal complaints to the PCC in the past as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I think they would care very much if the girl was going to be William's bride.
That may be so -- but I also have a feeling that their own assessment of her character and behavior would in the end be more important than what tabloids print about her in an effort to sell papers.

HM The Queen
Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Kate is depicted almost daily by the UK tabloid press, in a negative story.
If you have a look for yourself, you will find there is very little in the UK press that actually involves Kate Middleton.

We do have the 'lets link this story to a friend of a third cousin who once purchased a cup of tea in the same street' type story, which goes to prove there is no news about her.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
If you have a look for yourself, you will find there is very little in the UK press that actually involves Kate Middleton.
Correct, there are hardly any stories about Kate Middleton these days. Probably because the coverage reached a degree where people said "oh not again" and simply became tired of the topic, and the tabloids responded to that.

I believe it's a good thing that Kate is out of the media (not sure though whether she will remain the first serious girlfriend or finally become a fiancee) and if she continues to do so for some more time, months or even a year, and an engagement is what will finally come out of it, I think that she has a good chance to be seen as "fresh", with people quickly forgetting about the controversies of the past and a good chance to become "everybody's darling" (can you believe it ). Making headlines didn't do Kate any good ... but staying out of the limelight for some time can make all the difference in her case.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree the least said about her the better at this time. I do remember not that long ago that a friend of a friend (???) said that she was no longer "THE" girlfriend but "A" girlfriend, but as no other girlfriend seems to have appeared I really don´t know about that.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Courtier

Oh, now-now could you imagine the back lash on William if at this point she went from "THE" girlfriend to "A" girlfriend. That would say awful things about Miss Middleton, I don't believe she would put up with that... not for on second..Good lord I can see the head lines now " Prince William leads Kate on for years just to find new girlfriend for the next six years" lol