The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
..... and some priceless advertising for party pieces with the most famous girlfriend in britain. not sinister but clever.
How is it advertising? You have to be already on the site to see the photograph, if you’re already on the site you are either there because you are already looking to buy or because you’re curious. If you’re there to buy then the photograph isn’t going to make a bit of difference either way, if you’re just looking around then you can see a nice photo of Kate but that’s not exactly going to help the Middletons bank balance.

[Edited for off-topic]

Old 02-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Yet because you don’t know exactly what it is she does there you want to dismiss her job there?
[edited reply to a deleted post]

I am cynical about Miss Middleton I admit it, and her whole family. They did manage to send her to a good school, that shows they are ambitious and had money to do it, good for them. Then the business took off and they moved to a better house, nothing wrong with that. They moved to a better house and now they have their daughter dating the heir to the British throne. When she was criticized for not working they found her a job, her brother was criticized and seems to have slipped out of sight, that was a good move.
I havenīt seen Pippa in the front row of any fashion show lately so perhaps she is keeping a lower profile now or the papers have lost interest in her, she didnīt seem to be very interesting.
I am sure there are many people who really admire the way this family has managed their lives, no doubt about it, they havenīt done badly at all.
I just know that I, my own opinion, do not want a Queen Party Pieces of England.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Royal Highness

Hopefully in the near future from the engagement news of Buckingham Palace is open. Prince William and Kate, I have a very worthy. I think I want to get people to Kate.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I just know that I, my own opinion, do not want a Queen Party Pieces of England.
I can understand your sentiment here, but I just want you and all others who are against Catherine as future queen to realise that this is not about a position, but about two people who will have to live and work together if possible for the rest of their lives. So perhaps William as a future husband looks for a completely different set of virtues than you as a potential subject of queen Catherine do. So perhaps the Royal family is not as stupid and easily blinded to the facts of who Catherine is and where she comes from as you obviously think. Only because Charles chose the wrong woman as he did not realise how she was in reality it must not be believed that they make the same fault twice. You might not like it but the way Catherine Middleton has lived her life these past months is very close to the way a future Royal bride should live. There is no need to amass a fortune herself and no need to bring academic merits -she should be nice, well-behaved and loving to William, supporting him in every endeavour while restrain from causing scandals by herself. It is old-fashioned, I agree, but in the end this is what William and his family obviously wants. And it is up to Catherine to decide if this is the life she likes to live or not. She is given a lot of time testing the waters IMHO - we'll see what's coming out of it.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
No problem, my observation is that I donīt want her as my Queen, with my luck I will probably get her, but then I will become an immediate Republican.
I think you are this already but worse still: you are not only someone who believes that the people are the true souverain but someone who believes that it's the right of the public to interfere in anything. Maybe you should remind yourself that there is something of a private sphere for all people - that even if there is freedom of information there is no freedom of incapacitation of someone on choosing his wife for him or discarding his chosen one.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I think you are this already but worse still: you are not only someone who believes that the people are the true souverain but someone who believes that it's the right of the public to interfere in anything. Maybe you should remind yourself that there is something of a private sphere for all people - that even if there is freedom of information there is no freedom of incapacitation of someone on choosing his wife for him or discarding his chosen one.
Well he hasnīt decided yet. If the BRF donīt want the public to interfere in their lives they should not rely on the publicīs money to finance their lifestyle. e.g. the two York princesses security, all the palaces the civil list, but on the contrary I think that the Queen does take notice of her people and their mood.
The making of a Queen is a State affair. The Royal family have many privileges and unfortunately for them this means paying a price.
With all due respect Jo, you have no idea what I believe so I wouldnīt go there, I just donīt think that Kate Middleton is a suitable future Queen of England - nothing more.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Commoner

Not sure where to post this, but I'll try here. :) This is a little heads up for you guys who are Wills and Kate fans.

Two of my favorite things are Royal Watching and Decorating, with an eye to 'Grand Houses'. One of my favorite blogs, COTE DE TEXAS just did a wonderful piece on Oliver Messel's houses on Mustique, including photos of Rocina where Wills and Kate stayed. If you are curious about the house this is a good chance to see some of the inside.

Oddly, she did a piece on safari camps in Africa recently too. When I saw those gorgeous setups my first thought was "That's why the Princes are always going there!"

Enjoy! And Happy Royal Watching!

:)
Old 02-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Majesty

When Kate started dating William, perhaps the Middletons should have done like the politicians do and put their business in a blind trust. But, honestly, anyone who William would have dated for this long would have had information about her parents' work put in the public sphere.

If the Middletons put a picture of ALL their employees on their website, would this stop the criticism?

Quote:
Well she definitely managed to be their pr agent and got their little firm onto most front pages of British papers which is definitely good for them and the family business.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
When Kate started dating William, perhaps the Middletons should have done like the politicians do and put their business in a blind trust. But, honestly, anyone who William would have dated for this long would have had information about her parents' work put in the public sphere.

If the Middletons put a picture of ALL their employees on their website, would this stop the criticism?
You mean put the photos of all eight (or thereabouts) of them?
It is a very small internet business which seems to be earning them all a very good living.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Yes, that's what I mean.

Quote:
You mean put the photos of all eight (or thereabouts) of them?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Yes, that's what I mean.
They are already there.... I donīt know for sure but I think Kate was added on just about the time there was the rumour that the Queen said she should have a job. (Actually I doubt the Queen said this but that is the story that went around, it was good timing though).
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
No problem, my observation is that I donīt want her as my Queen, with my luck I will probably get her, but then I will become an immediate Republican.
We seem to be seeing this "I will become an immediate republican" a lot these days from several people: if Charles and That Woman take the throne, if William takes the throne, if William marries Kate.

I thought the point of monarchy was that it's a system that's greater than the particular individuals involved, and that it isn't a popularity contest like so many elections. By the very nature of things, a hereditary system is going to come up with some better and some worse monarchs, and some of them are going to marry more or less suitable spouses. The British monarchy has survived some pretty worthless monarchs and consorts in the past and has given us some pretty good ones.

Why is this case any worse than Edward II, Richard II, Isabella of France, or Caroline of Brunswick?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Majesty

That's how I've understood monarchy as well. But as the personalities of the Royal Family are seen more and more as celebrities (by their own fault or not), the institution of monarchy becomes seen more and more as a consumer option; i.e. if you don't like the product, shop around until you find something better. (If you don't like Tom Cruise, don't go to see his movies. If you don't like Prince Charles or Prince William, become a republican.) I think that if the British Monarchy fails, it won't be because the institution has failed to do its job; it will fail because it's been trivialized to death. I hope that the day never comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I thought the point of monarchy was that it's a system that's greater than the particular individuals involved, and that it isn't a popularity contest like so many elections.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

"Trivialised to death" thatīs really good, I like it.
Many years past when the monarchy was absolute the people more or less accepted that the good came with the bad. Actually I donīt think the common people even knew much about the monarchs as people. They saw the results of their rule but not the actual monarch as a person. The consorts were usually foreign princesses picked for their dowries (part of Catherine Braganzaīs dowry was paid in sugar) and these women were considered suitable because of this dowry and the royal blood that would continue the bloodline of the particular House that was ruling at the time.
Nowadays the people are more aware of where their money goes and to whom, I believe that when the "so called girl next door" marries the heir to the throne then people will start to question the reason they are holding these people in such awe and funding their expensive life style hence the mention of republic.
Besides in this particular case I think both Prince William and Kate are boring people and together they just might send all Britain to sleep so all might be well, no one will notice what they are doing or how much they are spending or anything else about them, they may just live happily ever after boring each other and of course occasionally shooting at animals for fun.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:00 PM
Majesty

Menarue,
You have made great points in posts #2763 and 2776. Indeed, people held more respect for monarchy as an societal institution by seeing "the results of the rule but not the actual monarch as a person". I find the definition of monarchy in Bouvier Law Dictionary (1914) accurate. "A monarchy is the government which is ruled (really or theoretically) by one person, who is wholly set apart from all other members of the state's (called his subjects)". The current trend of celebretising royalty has done serious harm by making the line, which sets King/Prince apart from the rest, very thin. There is no mystique surrounding a royal romance and charming subjects to give their full support to their institution as well as no dowry of a strategic nature Ms.Middleton could bring.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Nowadays the people are more aware of where their money goes and to whom, I believe that when the "so called girl next door" marries the heir to the throne then people will start to question the reason they are holding these people in such awe and funding their expensive life style hence the mention of republic.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm no expert on the complicated relationship between the monarchy and taxpayer money, but the people aren't really "funding their expensive lifestyle," are they? I thought that public money was used to fund the civil list, which only The Queen and Prince Philip benefit from, and that most everyone else gets public money from the privy purse, which is paid back. And on top of that, royals like William are funded by the Duchy of Cornwall, so they're not actually being funded by taxpayers at all, right?

I was just under the impression that things like vacations, houses, clothes, etc. -- those "expensive lifestyle" bits -- were coming from their own pockets, not yours.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 02-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Majesty

The official residences are kept up by the state; i.e. Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle. I read that the last Princess of Wales had a clothing allowance for official overseas visits, but I don't know whether that also extends to other members of the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
Don't get me wrong here, I'm no expert on the complicated relationship between the monarchy and taxpayer money, but the people aren't really "funding their expensive lifestyle," are they? I thought that public money was used to fund the civil list, which only The Queen and Prince Philip benefit from, and that most everyone else gets public money from the privy purse, which is paid back. And on top of that, royals like William are funded by the Duchy of Cornwall, so they're not actually being funded by taxpayers at all, right?

I was just under the impression that things like vacations, houses, clothes, etc. -- those "expensive lifestyle" bits -- were coming from their own pockets, not yours.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The official residences are kept up by the state; i.e. Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle. I read that the last Princess of Wales had a clothing allowance for official overseas visits, but I don't know whether that also extends to other members of the family.
Any royal on an official overseas visit receives a generous clothing allowance as do their Ladies in Waiting.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Any royal on an official overseas visit receives a generous clothing allowance as do their Ladies in Waiting.
So that would be, as you say, specifically for visits where they will be photographed as representatives of the British nation, I would assume. That makes sense -- it's about looking sharp to create a good impression about the UK, not about personal extravagance.

I'd sort of put official residences in the same category, especially if they're open to the public. Those places are as much a part of the heritage of Britain as they are personal houses, and they're also money-makers as tourist draws. I suppose the royals are more like caretakers in that respect than homeowners. It's not like any of them could sell Clarence House to fund a ridiculous tiara habit or anything.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Majesty

Money-makers as tourist draws is a somewhat flawed assumption. I do not think that tourists visit the UK with a sole intention to meet a member of the Royal family. Winter Palace in Russia, Versailles in France, or Forbidden City in China attract tourists as much as the Buckingham Palace does.