The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
whether this also applies to kate we don't know. she has the "social climber" label attached to her more than anyone else. a comparison is rather pointless so i only mention the most striking difference, unlike silvia kate never had a career of her own but only spends her time sticking like superglue on her man - and she lives in 2009, not in 1972 what makes quite a difference regarding womens' career opportunities - what speaks volumes to me.
That "social climber"-label is something anybody will have to live with once he or she finds a Partner/spouse from a much higher social level. In a way Lady Diana Spencer was a social climber as well - anyone can be accussed of that if he or she is not a Royal by birth. As for catherine's career - well, she works in her parent's enterprise. Noone accuses Dr. med Holly Branson to be spending her time idle because she gave up her medical profession in order to join her father's company. Where's the difference? Again: we don't know enough about Catherine to be judging her in such a harsh way. There are "kids" who are idling away their time on "working" in their parent's enterprise and those who actually are preparing to take it over one day. As Pippa and James both have their own professions by now, that leaves Catherine....

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
whether this also applies to kate we don't know. she has the "social climber" label attached to her more than anyone else. a comparison is rather pointless so i only mention the most striking difference, unlike silvia kate never had a career of her own but only spends her time sticking like superglue on her man - and she lives in 2009, not in 1972 what makes quite a difference regarding womens' career opportunities - what speaks volumes to me.

to say that william is nice but friendly ... i don't know. imo he's one of the major actors in royalty around these days, and not in a positive way. he's certainly boring but again in a negative way - same goes for kate - it all goes in the direction "reluctant", "snobby" or "only living to own advantage", what keeps them both from winning a popularity contest. imo they are an outdated couple.
Give me an example of one person (from a non royal background) who could potentially be marrying into the royal family and not be accused of social climbing?

This was a term that certain section of the media started to use, as part of their negative campaign against Kate. Hardly surprising!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Give me an example of one person (from a non royal background) who could potentially be marrying into the royal family and not be accused of social climbing?

This was a term that certain section of the media started to use, as part of their negative campaign against Kate. Hardly surprising!
most women would be accused of a social climbing / attention seeking motivation who can provide such an "excellent" background for these allegations as kate does:

a) the length of her relationship with william - holding out as "waity katie" in combination with the visible lack of protection / commitment from william's side
b) kate's flashy appearances in london's nightlife with her new upper class friends - william's circle - who wouldn't even have a second look at her if she wasn't associated to him
c) probably the most important issue, the lack of an own career, at first visibly indulging in shopping, parties, vacations, then, after critizism getting the jigsaw job but quitting because the job wouldn't accommodate kate's (william's?) needs, then going back to shopping etc, more critizism, this time a bit harsher so the solution is doing an "alibi" job at her parent's company who don't hesitate to promote their business with kate's picture on the website - and all this because the big prize, william's ring, seems to be worth waiting for.

it's not just an invention of "certain parts of the media" - people simply don't buy the "discreet kate" image that some other parts of the media want to implement. this "going nowhere thing" has been going on for far too long now - and it's kate's image that is being harmed, not william's. so what does that tell us about the caring boyfriend's attitude and about kate's personality who keeps hanging on no matter what? nothing posivite i am afraid.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
a) the length of her relationship with william - holding out as "waity katie" in combination with the visible lack of protection / commitment from william's side
I had no idea that being in a steady relationship for 5-6 years was odd, uncommon or an indication of being a social climber. Thats what young people do these days, especially if you met at university. Most young people do not marry these days till they are in their late 20s or about 30, so I can't see anything odd here.

As regards the "visible lack of protection / commitment from william's side", what other than an engagement would you expect? She has been with him at the key times of his life, increasingly in very public fora (Sandhurt passing out, getting his RAF wings, Garter ceremony). They cannot live together full time becuase of his commitment with the armed forces, but clearly spend a lot of his free time together.

Quote:
b) kate's flashy appearances in london's nightlife with her new upper class friends - william's circle - who wouldn't even have a second look at her if she wasn't associated to him
If you have been together at university, a lot of his friends are also likley to be her friends (often referred to as "their" friends ). As regards his other friends, in time, they have clearly become her friends as well. Its not that she has been completely surrouned by his friends only. She is often seen out wth her sister as well.... but then some people claim that Pippa is a social climber also because she sometimes goes out with her sister and his boyfriend.

Quote:
so the solution is doing an "alibi" job at her parent's company
There is absolutely no information in the public domain as to whether it s a reql jb or an "alibi" job - unless you want to believe it is an alibi job.

Quote:
this "going nowhere thing" has been going on for far too long now - and it's kate's image that is being harmed, not william's.
So since when is it that the Court of the Daily Mail decide what is acceptable in a arelationship and what is not, as opposed to the couple themselves forming a view?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Nobility

snipping to just the pertinent part...

Quote:
promote their business with kate's picture on the website
Do you know how many companies, especially smaller, family-owned ones, similar in size to Party Pieces, put pictures of their employees on their company website or use group shots of their whole staff in newspaper advertising?

I work for a regional distributor of a couple major HVAC brands in the US, processing dealer advertising claims among other things. I review their advertising on a weekly (sometimes daily, depending on the time of year) basis. You would be surprised how many of these smaller, yet highly successful, companies use pictures of their family on their websites, in their print advertising, or even read the voiceovers themselves for TV and radio commercials.

It's one of those things that makes a company seem more accessible, normal, "just like everyone else", personable, friendly, family-oriented. I find it hardly something worth condemning, that her parents would put her photo, as an employee, up on their website. They are certainly not the first, nor will they be the last.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Courtier

I not sure I even understand how having Kate photograph on the site even promote their business. No doubt the constant mentioning of her parents business when writing about Kate by the press has helped raise it’s profile hugely but a photo that you won’t see unless you are already on the site (and therefore already looking to buy), I’m not sure how that helps. They sell inexpensive party supplies, I don’t think telling your child’s party guests that the paper cup that they are using was bought from Prince William’s girlfriends parents company is going to impress them much. People buy them because they are having a party and need them.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
I not sure I even understand how having Kate photograph on the site even promote their business. No doubt the constant mentioning of her parents business when writing about Kate by the press has helped raise it’s profile hugely but a photo that you won’t see unless you are already on the site (and therefore already looking to buy), I’m not sure how that helps.
i am. it's killing two birds with one stone - when it became clear that kate was actually doing something after the jigsaw job the name party pieces was all over place, getting everyone's attention and not only the attention of people who were about to plan their kids' birthday. many people will have looked up the site to see what the company is all about. putting a picture of kate / mentioning her services on the site is handy for both parties - for kate it screams "see, i do have a job" and for the middletons it screams "yes, here is the proof, this is where kate works, have a closer look". for me "discreet" is something else.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Courtier

See I still don’t agree, if like you said people read about the company in the press and looked up the site then that has nothing to do with Kate’s photo. A thousand curious people can look up the site an hour but if they don’t buy anything then that is not going to help support the Middletons. Like I said they are inexpensive party supplies, people are not going to buy them if they don’t need them simply because of Kate’s connection (or if they do then their issues are beyond the Middletons control).

As for Kate proving she works there, well what do you want from her exactly. You have said in post after post that she should do something with her life, that she should have a job/career. Well this is what she is doing with her life, this is her career. When it was unknown what she was doing after Jigsaw she was run into the ground, so this comes out and yet that is wrong too.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
for me "discreet" is something else.
In the end it will depend on how William and his family judge her discretion among other things. If Catherine really is such a schemer, she surely asked for the advice of William's aides before she let her parents use her picture that way.So I guess the BRF does not share your sentiment.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Majesty

Quote:
i am. it's killing two birds with one stone - when it became clear that kate was actually doing something after the jigsaw job the name party pieces was all over place, getting everyone's attention and not only the attention of people who were about to plan their kids' birthday.
The name Party Pieces was all over the place long before the world found out that Kate worked there. It was all over the place from the time that the world discovered that William had a girlfriend, and press snooped around to find out what her parents did.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
putting a picture of kate / mentioning her services on the site is handy for both parties
IMO, that does not read very well!
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
IMO, that does not read very well!
Well I understand this perfectly.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
snipping to just the pertinent part...
Do you know how many companies, especially smaller, family-owned ones, similar in size to Party Pieces, put pictures of their employees on their company website or use group shots of their whole staff in newspaper advertising?

I work for a regional distributor of a couple major HVAC brands in the US, processing dealer advertising claims among other things. I review their advertising on a weekly (sometimes daily, depending on the time of year) basis. You would be surprised how many of these smaller, yet highly successful, companies use pictures of their family on their websites, in their print advertising, or even read the voiceovers themselves for TV and radio commercials.

It's one of those things that makes a company seem more accessible, normal, "just like everyone else", personable, friendly, family-oriented. I find it hardly something worth condemning, that her parents would put her photo, as an employee, up on their website. They are certainly not the first, nor will they be the last.
I'm waiting for a response to this. Of course I'm not holding my breath. Nothing like reason to shut down ridiculous assertions. Good for you Sunnystar.

Kate and William are now quietly going about their lives. No Kate photos in the press, which is GREAT, so those who continue to hurl nasty accusations at her with no proof, no pictures, and certainly no reason all while whining because there are no pictures or news about her look more and more ridiculous by the second, if that's possible. She's quietly going about her life and work, and some still can't move on. Scoreboard, Kate.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
I'm waiting for a response to this. Of course I'm not holding my breath. Nothing like reason to shut down ridiculous assertions. Good for you Sunnystar.
I wonder how many of those companies Sunnystar has mentioned have someone like the girlfriend of the grandson of the Queen of England to put on their pages, if they did I bet it would be considered very good business to put her picture there and say that she was working for them. I am sure that a small family business like the Middleton´s would be sure to use the photo, but please don´t ever call them discreet, there is nothing discreet about this, it is just good business.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Nobility

WHO CARES!!!!!!! The point is these companies ALREADY POST PICTURES ON THEIR SITES, FAMOUS OR NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What possible difference does it make in life if the Middletons put their daughter's photo on their website? She works there, she is not a leper!!! How can this possibly be interpreted as some sinister motive by the Middletons??!!! It is a SMALL, FAMILY RUN BUSINESS. Pictures of family and a key employee are/were on the site!!!! BIG......DEAL!!!!!!

THESE NON-STOP ACCUSATIONS ARE INSANE!!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
What possible difference does it make in life if the Middletons put their daughter's photo on their website?
is this a serious question? if kate and her family are so discreet, then why not work there in a discreet manner? the picture on the website covers two things: kate's proof of work and some priceless advertising for party pieces with the most famous girlfriend in britain. not sinister but clever.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
is this a serious question? if kate and her family are so discreet, then why not work there in a discreet manner? the picture on the website covers two things: kate's proof of work and some priceless advertising for party pieces with the most famous girlfriend in britain. not sinister but clever.
When people are buying party supplies for a child's party, they tend to go to places that offer the nicest or the cheapest source they can find. A lot has been said that this is blatantly cashing in on the relationship between Wills & Kate, but I think that all this will lead to is perhaops, more people visitng the site, but not necessarily buying. People will still by from where they can get the nicest / cheapest product. Its hardly the equivalent of a Prada handbag, IMO!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If they had taken out a two pager or a slot on prime time TV to advertise their business, with a photo just of Kate, you might have cause to complain. Most small businesses put pictures of their employees up and unless they then put "KATE IS DATING PRINCE WILLIAM" under the photo, then yes they are discreet. Have we seen any mention on Party Pieces website who Kate dates or anything about her private life? No. Why should they lock her away in a cupboard, hide her in the background, she is to them doing a valuable job and they are, proud of their daughter, as most parents are!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
It is true that lots of people go there just to look and don´t actually buy but from the various descriptions of them as millionaires, very rich etc etc they don´t seem to be doing that badly with their paper cups, hats and things.
One will not know how well they do or they do not. The press commentary on this cannot be relied upon. If some journalist was feeling energetic, they could look up the Companies House filings made by Party Pieces (they are a matter of public record) to see how much profit the group made in any given year .... but that will not necessaruily give a truely accurate picture as it will not set out how much the family may have taken out as salaries, expenses etc etc.

That said, the key point I wanted to make was that if they are wealthy, it is because they have worked hard to build up their business to this point - and not because of whom their daughter is dating!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Well we have their word for it that she works there and actually does something, in this they are so discreet that we don´t know much about what she actually does. Takes photos? Poses with the staff?
don't forget carrying paperboxes in the backyard with staff

Closed Thread