The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:51 PM
Courtier

The world has confirmed a recession! Does not mean that people with more money then they know what to do with will not spend it. No matter where they live. IMO

Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalone3 View Post
Edward's wedding was a small affair because he not directly in line to the throne,while William is second in line and will someday be king.So a big production is in order.A big splashy wedding is what royals do best.
Lots of things have changed for the royals since the days of big splashy weddings, though. Three divorces of senior royals, more intrusive media, more openness about their finances, etc. As the world of royalty changes (and scales back, to some extent, as people are less and less willing to pay for things like security for minor royals), the days of the Charles-and-Di-style wedding may just be over. Especially now that the world's economies are in crisis.

Plus, I don't know, William seems less grand over all than his father. He might balk at the idea of the humongous St. Paul's and all wedding.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 01-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Royal Highness

Can't wait for Karagiosis' new prophecy
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Courtier

What ever happened to Karagiosis he vanished after his two weeks was up!! Maybe he had the wrong royal couple?????
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Courtier

I think Karagiosis may have been right with part of the prediction only he had the wrong couple as you say Lady Ann.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

It has been my understanding that Karagiosis has been banned. So new predictions will not appear.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 01-27-2009, 04:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
---- snipped --- He might balk at the idea of the humongous St. Paul's and all wedding.
I don't think he will have a great deal of say in the matter! They could of course just pop up to Gretna!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Lots of things have changed for the royals since the days of big splashy weddings, though. Three divorces of senior royals, more intrusive media, more openness about their finances, etc. As the world of royalty changes (and scales back, to some extent, as people are less and less willing to pay for things like security for minor royals), the days of the Charles-and-Di-style wedding may just be over. Especially now that the world's economies are in crisis.

Plus, I don't know, William seems less grand over all than his father. He might balk at the idea of the humongous St. Paul's and all wedding.
I tend to agree with you that William does appear a lot less formal than his father, and times have changed since the wedding of C&D. That said, I do think William will have a big wedding, and it will be of the equivalent stature as a state event. I don't think the economic environment will necessarily delay a wedding, but may make it relatively (in the context!) a smaller affair - the celebrations may be restricted to the day itself, and perhaps the wedding only takes place at the Abbey -thereby restricting the route of the ceremonial procession, and hence the security costs.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I don't think the economic environment will necessarily delay a wedding, but may make it relatively (in the context!) a smaller affair - the celebrations may be restricted to the day itself, and perhaps the wedding only takes place at the Abbey -thereby restricting the route of the ceremonial procession, and hence the security costs.
Much like Princess Elizabeth's in fact!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Much like Princess Elizabeth's in fact!
Quite right.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I don't think he will have a great deal of say in the matter! They could of course just pop up to Gretna!
Good lord, can you imagine the explosion here if that happened?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Good lord, can you imagine the explosion here if that happened?
Gretna Green? Is it still possible to marry there?And if so - would it bother somebody that much?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Courtier

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Gretna Green? Is it still possible to marry there?And if so - would it bother somebody that much?
Found this link:

Gretna Green Weddings

A friend of mine got married there a number of years ago when we were all in Sheffield for Branagh's "Richard III." We made it a destination wedding, much fun was had by all.

I think a Gretna Green wedding would be perfectly in line with situation. Would actually be a heckuva lot more "romantic" than millions of television viewers dissecting every utterance and gesture. And I doubt with the current mood of the country that it would be a boost to the BRF to have a big splashy thing.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Serene Highness

From Times online

Kate Middleton: man-pleaser

For the record I don't believe that horse allergy story but I find the analysis spot on regardless.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator

quote from the above Times online link: We want bright and feisty, a fresh perspective, a sense of humour.

I don't mean to be trite or unkind, but wasn't that Sarah Ferguson's initial popular appeal? Princess Anne's "feisty" attitude in the 70s and 80s didn't win her press approval either. Diana's "feisty" attitude to the Royal Family wasn't exactly a bonus in the long term.

I understand the point they are making, but it may be best if the era of "Princess Superstars" is not repeated for a while, and future Windsor brides remain in the supporting cast.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
---- snipped ----- future Windsor brides remain in the supporting cast.
Where they are supposed to be!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
quote from the above Times online link: We want bright and feisty, a fresh perspective, a sense of humour.

I don't mean to be trite or unkind, but wasn't that Sarah Ferguson's initial popular appeal? Princess Anne's "feisty" attitude in the 70s and 80s didn't win her press approval either. Diana's "feisty" attitude to the Royal Family wasn't exactly a bonus in the long term.
Sarah lacked class and self-control, Anne laked tact and kindness, Diana lacked intelligence and emotional maturity, which is why is all three cases feisty turned into a flaw.
Quote:
I understand the point they are making, but it may be best if the era of "Princess Superstars" is not repeated for a while, and future Windsor brides remain in the supporting cast.
I don't completely agree.

Future Windsor brides will have to understand that they are public servants and relinquish any personal ambition and vanity, but they can't be dull or vapid, that would hurt the monarchy more that them beeing overexposed. Already the general public is becoming more and more indifferent to the Monarchy, especially the younger generation. There is the need to inject some heavy dose of charisma and dignity to get people connected again with the institution.

A good matrix for the perfect royal bride would be Jackie Kennedy (a woman of another era, I understand, but so is the idea of Monarchy): brilliant, cultured, charismatic, witty, charming (beauty isn't very important as long as you have charm), socially graceful and more importantly, utterly devoted to her husband's political career and public role. Grace Kelly was the same.
Both these women were the star in their marriage but because they understood their role perfectly and were women of very high caliber, they turned into their husband's biggest asset rather than into a rival or a burden.

Do you know the expression 'behind a great man there is always a great woman'?
William needs his own great woman, especially since himself is painfully bland. He needs a woman who bring out the best in him and pushes him up, not some limp doormat who offer no challenge nor substance and just serves to highlight his most vapid side, imo.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
A good matrix for the perfect royal bride would be Jackie Kennedy.
We each have different ideals but JackieO would not be top of everyones list. Nor would Grace Kelly (known as a sex kitten). IMO

Face Value, the Politics of Beauty ... - Google Book Search
Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
From Times online

Kate Middleton: man-pleaser

For the record I don't believe that horse allergy story but I find the analysis spot on regardless.
I don't think we have any idea what makes these two tick and why they are happy with each other. We have no idea how Catherine makes William happy and how William makes Catherine happy - in case it is that way at all. And I don't think we have a right to. I personally am glad if these two are happy together.

But - believing in the idea of a gentleman protecting his Lady love, I think it is about time William does a bit more to protect Catherine from the world/media. If she gives him that special something, he should give her something in return. But then: if she is happy, then it should be okay.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
We each have different ideals but JackieO would not be top of everyones list. Nor would Grace Kelly (known as a sex kitten). IMO
Oh I know about Grace being the village bicycle and a professional mistress during her time in Hollywood. It's pretty irrelevant to me though when judging her as a royal consort. I am surprised you who hold her youthful promiscuity against her considering your love of Camilla who was just as bad.
As far as Jackie O, could you develop how you though she was lacking as a first lady?
Regardless if these two ladies irk you just ignore their names and just consider the qualities I enumerated, as this was my ultimate point.This book seems really fascinating (thank you for the link) but Google won't let me read it. Do I have to register somewhere?

Closed Thread