The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

If he Loves her Lets give them a shot I Say weve had worst Royals out their!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Majesty

And don't forget those years of putting stamps into albums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
[

I once read that King George V´s biographer said that apart from the short time he had in the navy the rest of his life was spent shooting animals, so perhaps it is in the genes.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 PM

It may matter to Kate but for the rest of us I really can't see that it matters who William marries...actually I have a view that monarchies have outlived their relevance...that certainly seems to be a majority view amongst my friends.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise_aus View Post
It may matter to Kate but for the rest of us I really can't see that it matters who William marries...actually I have a view that monarchies have outlived their relevance...that certainly seems to be a majority view amongst my friends.

For Australia I agree but for Britain I am not so sure as the British monarchy is very well recognised as representing Britain all around the world.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
For Australia I agree but for Britain I am not so sure as the British monarchy is very well recognised as representing Britain all around the world.
You are right there. I notice that a lot of the posts about letting William marry whoever he likes, what does it matter, royalty is not relevant in these modern times, are from people who do not live in Britain. That is what I said before, it is hard from non-British people to understand what the BRF means to them. Right or wrong, it does mean a lot to most Britains as does tradition, perhaps it gives a false impression of unity and safety.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
On a brighter note, a Japanese Princess of Wales will do her best fulfilling her giri: take care of a house, rear children, and preserve face of families (her own family and that of her husband).
I personally doubt that such a marriage could be a happy one in the long term. A working one surely but IMHO the difference between the cultures, especially when it comes to the definition and rules of being Royal is too large.

Plus, as Al Bina said, we have no idea how this idea would be received by either Royal family. But I've seen that there are 4 older princesses than Mako and Kako, all of them on a way into the academic world. It will be interesting to see where they end up in life.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
You are right there. I notice that a lot of the posts about letting William marry whoever he likes, what does it matter, royalty is not relevant in these modern times, are from people who do not live in Britain. That is what I said before, it is hard from non-British people to understand what the BRF means to them. Right or wrong, it does mean a lot to most Britains as does tradition, perhaps it gives a false impression of unity and safety.
Of course the point about Australia was also relating to the fact that William, as things currently stand, will be our Head of State one day so his future bride does mean more here than it does in a country such as the US as his future bride would be the wife of our Head of State.

However, I do suspect that Australia will be a Republic long before William becomes King.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
You may think there is no relevance but it is up to debate. Philosophically a person may wonder why it was time and time again that the people from the different lands and regions accepted and welcomed the Monarchy as a valid and wholesome way of governing their way of life. For ages people were ruled by Kingdoms and although with the development of societies that pertain to facilitating a better way of governing and sharing acquired knowledge for the masses, a person can still wonder, theorize and speculate, why this devine Earth was let ruled, by the Creator, by Royals. It is a phenomena that still can baffle a person as to how they were given the right. They led and led upon time the people who overall gave their abiding and support. There is something majestical in all that and for that I pay interest to this Royal forum.

I think even amongst our ability to replace the Monarchy as the most viable form of ruling, where anyone can become the empowered ruler through democracy and people can choose more readily their fate through better organized means, still I think their is sentiment and affinity that holds value even to this day concerning the remaining Monarchies. I wish instead of letting the affinity slip away, we should harness it and think about enveloping it into all the countries that were ruled once by it. But that's just me. It really is debatable and philosophical.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
...actually I have a view that monarchies have outlived their relevance...that certainly seems to be a majority view amongst my friends.
I can't speak for Australians but I have to say that many youngsters here in the UK would agree with you, IMO.

In our 'I want' society, people want to see that they are getting something for their money. Many of the youngsters I come into contact with ask what they get out of it, they are not concerned with the Head of State or what that might entail. On the one hand they see a couple of rich kids becoming do nothing 'Officers' (normally said with the utmost derision) by others 'jobs for the nice but dim', who could get away with murder.

I think much of this has been caused by the spin doctors at Clarence House who would, it seems, rather prolong the story with a poorly thought out explanation, than admit he/she was a complete ass.

To this end, I think it is important who William and Harry finally marry and the 'tradition' was prince/princesses or aristocrats is missed by many, the danger of marrying from a lesser class could hasten their demise. Ask most people in the street who Miss Sophie R-J is/was and they don't know, ask most people who Lady Diana was and the majority immediately know.

If William changes girlfriend now, he will be called all manner of things for treating 'that poor girl like that'!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
To this end, I think it is important who William and Harry finally marry and the 'tradition' was prince/princesses or aristocrats is missed by many, the danger of marrying from a lesser class could hasten their demise.
Cause or symptom though?

I regret that I will not be around when the dust of time settles and historians and anthropologists/sociologists etc. are able to objectively analyse what has happened in this regard over the last 50 years, and is still happening.

I tend to think that the movement towards Royalty choosing their mates from a larger pool is part of a natural change in society, part of the institution adapting to keep itself relevant and acceptable and ensuring its role continues. I doubt that an institution that insisted on marrying other royals or, in a pinch, an aristocrat, would really have the people's support today, and they need that support to survive.

But I could be wrong.

Quote:
Ask most people in the street who Miss Sophie R-J is/was and they don't know, ask most people who Lady Diana was and the majority immediately know.
But would they know who Lady Diana was if she hadn't married The Prince of Wales?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
... To this end, I think it is important who William and Harry finally marry and the 'tradition' was prince/princesses or aristocrats is missed by many, the danger of marrying from a lesser class could hasten their demise. Ask most people in the street who Miss Sophie R-J is/was and they don't know, ask most people who Lady Diana was and the majority immediately know. ... [snipped and my bolding]
You are absolutely right once again. Although there is no urgent need to forge alliances between states through the marriage of Princes and Princesses, there are traditions to be respected and observed. Complete neglect of these traditions will hasten the demise of the nobility/royalty.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Actually in England at least at the time of Prince Charles´s engagement, everyone knew of the Spencer family, Lady Diana would have been immediately recognized as a member of that family even if not physically recognized, they are an old aristocratic family closely related to the Churchills, who have been part of British history for so long that everyone who is a "native" knows who they are. Although I did hear someone with a British passport say, at the time, she must be a daughter of the Spencer from Marks & Spencer´s store people.
I think this whole "courtship" has been handled very badly, by Clarence House, the Press everyone. If he marries Kate Middleton I think they will be a very uninteresting couple, no substance, and the republic will be well on its way. If he doesn´t, after all this brouhaha he is going to be considered a cad, but he is royal, he will get away with it, if anyone is left crying it is going to be Kate.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Actually in England at least at the time of Prince Charles´s engagement, everyone knew of the Spencer family, Lady Diana would have been immediately recognized as a member of that family even if not physically recognized, they are an old aristocratic family closely related to the Churchills, who have been part of British history for so long that everyone who is a "native" knows who they are. Although I did hear someone with a British passport say, at the time, she must be a daughter of the Spencer from Marks & Spencer´s store people.
I think this whole "courtship" has been handled very badly, by Clarence House, the Press everyone. If he marries Kate Middleton I think they will be a very uninteresting couple, no substance, and the republic will be well on its way. If he doesn´t, after all this brouhaha he is going to be considered a cad, but he is royal, he will get away with it, if anyone is left crying it is going to be Kate.
so whats your point?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

But would they know who Lady Diana was if she hadn't married The Prince of Wales?
I was answering this post.....
Old 01-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Even if they didn't know of them or their connection to our past, the LADY title ensured she stood out from the common people (Hoi Polloi). People don't seem to have any idea who Miss (or was it Ms) R-J was, had she been Lady Sophie whatever, it would have been different, instantly recognised by most people, IMO. The deference shown to anyone with a title exists even in todays society, especially in the small towns and villages, and when dealing with call centres!
Quote:
I have to agree on the whole, but I am not sure I want an interesting couple, purely a Royal couple, without any histrionics or dramas, a couple who remember they are not characters in a soap opera!.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

How true Sky, I hope I am not misquoting but isn´t it a Chinese blessing "May you live in uninteresting times"....?
I have seen it written exactly the opposite but I rather like the version above.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:39 AM
Gentry

I'm thinking that William and Kate will announce their engagement sometime in February. I think the royals will want the international hoopla over the USA's new President Barak Obama to settle down in the press a bit, as well as the Israel stuff, so it doesn't overshadow a royal engagement announcement.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
How true Sky, I hope I am not misquoting but isn´t it a Chinese blessing "May you live in uninteresting times"....?
I have seen it written exactly the opposite but I rather like the version above.
I think it is part of a Chinese curse, although nobody has been able to show any provenance for it. "May you live in interesting times, May you come to the attention of those in Authority, May you find what you are looking for". I too prefer your version!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbrides1 View Post
I'm thinking that William and Kate will announce their engagement sometime in February. I think the royals will want the international hoopla over the USA's new President Barak Obama to settle down in the press a bit, as well as the Israel stuff, so it doesn't overshadow a royal engagement announcement.
With all due respect to our friends from across the pond, IMO the election of a US president (an event that occurs on schedule, every 4 years) is not really going to materially impact the timing of an announcement of the type by BP. The announcement will be made when the couple is ready to make it, though I have no doubt that BP will take into account certain domestic matters, including, for example, elections in the UK.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I want an interesting couple, purely a Royal couple, without any histrionics or dramas, a couple who remember they are not characters in a soap opera!.
Yes, PLEASE!

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Closed Thread