The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Royal Highness

Now who's using whom? If Anna Wintour encouraged Kate to work in NY, the assumption would be working for Vogue where Ms Wintour is the editor-in-chief. She's already been given the dubious credit for the Meryl Streep character in The Deveil Wears Prada. In the age of no publicity is bad publicity, having a prince's GF working on her magazine would generate tons of free p.r. for Vogue. After a couple month, the welcome mat would be pulled from under Kate.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I've lived on both sides of the Atlantic, so I feel like I have a pretty healthy grasp on the vagaries of the English class system and its prejudices. My comment wasn't about the unique issues of a commoner dating a royal, though -- it was about the presumption that any relationship between a royal and a commoner must be based on social angling and power hunger rather than love. I just reject the idea that the Middletons must be social climbers because their daughter's longtime boyfriend is an heir to the throne, and I also reject the idea that William would be able to be hoodwinked by these people for half a decade if that were the case (and I think it's not).

I know that you're one who would prefer the traditions of royalty to stay that way, Menarue, and that's totally fine. I'm just saying that I don't know that we can depict the relationship between William and Kate in the same terms that we would have depicted the same relationship even fifty years ago. We're in a post-Diana/Charles/Camilla world now when it comes to royal relationships, and most of the traditional mores of royal marriage don't work anymore.
excellent post. there are a lot of people that think that a person from an aristocratic or wealthy background couldn't possibly love a person from a lower class or financial means. to assume that the middleton's are social climbers is completely unfair. i think if that were the case william would have seen through it by now and the relationship would have ended ages ago.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakynthi View Post
... [snipped] I don't want to be the "bad guy" here,but seriously now,is there anyone on the forum that thinks Kate is gonna be a "career-girl"?
Joining "the bad boy club", I am inclined to think that Miss Middleton is more likely to pursue traditional roles assigned to women. Women, who wish to make careers, strive to find good places of employment and do not ask for flexible schedules to accommodate their special needs. It takes years to create a name in the fashion industry as well photography. She may get an initial boost due to her high-profile relationships. However ... Anne Leibovitz she is not. I also do not see her designing clothes. Has anyone got some proof of her artistic work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I tend to doubt it, too -- wasn't a US move rumored for Kate a year or so ago? Or am I remembering incorrectly?
If the report has got some grains of truth in it, I hope that Prince William let Miss Middleton go on with her life.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Actually this is usually the case but it is not often that a commoner of lower middle-class would even dream of becoming the Queen of England, usually the person has been quite satisfied to be the mistress of the royal involved, it has happened over and over again. In the time of Charles II, admittedly many years ago, there was even snobbishness among the mistresses of noble birth and common.
Things are different nowadays, though. Crown princes around the world are marrying commoners. In the thought-provoking article that Vanesa wrote for TRA, she pointed out that it isn't really just that girls from the middle class are looking to marry princes, but that these days princes, many of whom have mothers from the middle class (I know that doesn't apply to William, of course), are looking to marry girls from the middle class because in their tastes and cultural interests they're more middle class themselves.

Quote:
It is a a little difficult, I believe, in many cases for people from the US to actually understand how the relationship between royalty and the people works in Britain. Perhaps it will change in these modern times, but I donīt believe it is going to change that quickly unless it becomes a Republic
and if BRF does bring itself to the same level as their people then it will be a republic.
I'm not sure it's that quick a change. Throughout the 20th century there have been examples of British royals marrying non-royals, and in the second half of the century those non-royals have become more and more non-royal until you get to people like Antony Armstrong-Jones, Mark Phillips, and Sarah Ferguson, who have fairly tenuous links to the aristocracy, and then Sophie Rhys-Jones who is solidly middle class. Add to that the disaster of Charles's first marriage, along with the fact that William has been encouraged to mix with "ordinary" people and has tastes that are more in line with them than Charles's ever were, and it's not really surprising.

It does bring into play the thought that when royals are no different from the rest of us, there may be no good reason to continue to have them, but on the other hand it might make royalty more acceptable if it's seen to be more inclusive.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Majesty

I don't think that there anything more "ordinary" than to fall in love with a person that was met at university. It's certainly not like William met Kate at a singles' bar (on the one hand) or at a court function (on the other hand). He met an ordinary girl (in the best sense of the word) under very normal circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
William has been encouraged to mix with "ordinary" people and has tastes that are more in line with them than Charles's ever were, and it's not really surprising.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

William was encouraged to have a more normal university existence than Charles or the Duke of Windsor. It sounds as though Charles was encouraged to stick with some carefully chosen companions, and the Duke of Windsor was pretty much isolated altogether. From what I've read about Charles's time at Cambridge, it wasn't an environment where the future Princess of Wales would have come from unless she happened to be someone he also knew socially.

Of course, it was somewhat easier for William since he wasn't the heir, but I'm not sure how much difference that would have made in practice.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that everyone has very good points but I just want to remind you that Anthony Armstrong-Jones was close to the aristocracy because of his mother and did mix in those circles. Mark Philips did too, but mainly because of his being an Army Officer and, of course, horses. Sarah Ferguson is a distant cousin of the royal family as is Sophie. They definitely didnīt have as far to climb as Miss Middleton or her family would have to.
I agree that Britain is changing, no doubt the royal family will change. They have already lost that "mystique" that they used to have only a generation or two ago, we saw how the Queen was bullied by the people in the case of Diana.
No doubt Britain is changing and it depends on your point of view whether you think it is for good or for bad.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Majesty

Not that it really matters in my mind, but I don't think Sophie's background could really be called middle class. So in terms of "They definitely didnīt have as far to climb as Miss Middleton or her family would have to", I don't think that is probably quite right.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think that everyone has very good points but I just want to remind you that Anthony Armstrong-Jones was close to the aristocracy because of his mother and did mix in those circles. Mark Philips did too, but mainly because of his being an Army Officer and, of course, horses. Sarah Ferguson is a distant cousin of the royal family as is Sophie. They definitely didnīt have as far to climb as Miss Middleton or her family would have to.

Yes, but that's part of the point - the change has been gradual over time. It was considered quite bold when George V and the government decided that his children, including his heir, could marry daughters of the nobility rather than foreign royals (even though one of Queen Victoria's daughters had already married into the Scottish nobility). We've seen the pool of potential royal spouses get gradually larger and larger, to encompass daughters of the gentry rather than the nobility (Sarah Ferguson and Katharine Worsley), upper-class but not really aristocratic men (Armstrong-Jones and Mark Phillips), and then genuinely middle-class brides (Sophie Rhys-Jones, whose relationship to the royals is pretty much academic if you look at her immediate family, and I suppose Birgitte van Deurs would also be in this category). This gradual move from German princesses to the daughter of a salesman who just happens to be a cousin n times removed from her husband will probably make it more acceptable for someone like Kate to join the royal family without it causing a great deal of questioning about what happens to the royals when their spouses are from perfectly ordinary backgrounds. It may be less traumatic than in countries where non-royal spouses more or less resulted in royals having to give up their royalness and become Count of This or That, and now you've got realtors and TV anchors becoming crown princesses just a generation or two later.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I don't think that there anything more "ordinary" than to fall in love with a person that was met at university. It's certainly not like William met Kate at a singles' bar (on the one hand) or at a court function (on the other hand). He met an ordinary girl (in the best sense of the word) under very normal circumstances.
Apart from anything else, who would have him? Most aristocratic families would not subject their daughters to the inevitable scrutiny of the media and public, IMO. There don't seem to be that many foreign princesses to choose from (religion, age, interests).

So if not the daughter of a millionaire, who it would appear loves him enough to endure all that, who would want a relationship with him? Take away the Prince title and what have you got.... a balding 20 something, from a dysfunctional family, (hundreds of those about)!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Apart from anything else, who would have him? Most aristocratic families would not subject their daughters to the inevitable scrutiny of the media and public, IMO. There don't seem to be that many foreign princesses to choose from (religion, age, interests).

So if not the daughter of a millionaire, who it would appear loves him enough to endure all that, who would want a relationship with him? Take away the Prince title and what have you got.... a balding 20 something, from a dysfunctional family, (hundreds of those about)!
Well put!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
. . . . . who would want a relationship with him? Take away the Prince title and what have you got.... a balding 20 something, from a dysfunctional family, (hundreds of those about)!
Ouch! Don't you think that's a little harsh? I mean, well, err . . . . there's always the money, right?
On second thoughts, no! Smack on on target yet again Sky.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

[

I agree so we may get a Queen Kate after all if you put it that way, but in the meantime what about the BRF?
I once read that King George Vīs biographer said that apart from the short time he had in the navy the rest of his life was spent shooting animals, so perhaps it is in the genes.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Although cruely candid, you are absolutely correct. There are foreign Princesses. However, religion and interests may undermine prospects of the union.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Especially since the British royals don't seem to spend a lot of time around the other European royal families.

Mind you, Princess Akiko of Mikasa is the same age as William and is studying at Oxford at the moment.

I wonder how the British public would react to a Japanese Princess of Wales.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think it would be wonderful, but of course we need to know a bit more about the Princess other than the fact that she is Japanese.
But I agree with Sky, he isnīt that much of a match these days.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Majesty

A possibility of having an exotic Princess has been discussed in the thread "Preferred Wives for William and Harry". As far as I have understood, the British Royal family is unlikely to mix their European blood with the non-European one. At the same time, it would be fair to assume that the Japanese Imperial family is unlikely to squander their divine blood by having a gaijin son-in-law. On a brighter note, a Japanese Princess of Wales will do her best fulfilling her giri: take care of a house, rear children, and preserve face of families (her own family and that of her husband).
Old 01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I think it would be wonderful, but of course we need to know a bit more about the Princess other than the fact that she is Japanese.
But I agree with Sky, he isnīt that much of a match these days.
If William is not much of a catch, why is Waity katie still waiting, and why is her self promoting mother wasting her time?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Royal Highness

He's not much of a catch? Come on,ladies!!There are millions of girls fascinated even by the Harry Potter actor or by those new Jonas Brothers... William looks like a God compared to them.
I mean,after all,we live in a crazy world,don't we?
Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I think there was a lot more William-mania about ten years ago, not long after Diana's death, when Wills was still a fresh-faced teen with a full head of hair. Now that he's an adult, and the Diana fascination seems to be starting to fade away, and he's started to really look like a Windsor, he's really less of a heartthrob.

But I think Skydragon's right, in her humorous take on things: he's obviously found someone to love who is willing to endure the press attention, the incredibly weird family situation, and everything that goes with it. Good for him, I say.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Closed Thread