William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is more likey tohave been a cup of tea at Windsor for the first meeting, and perhaps a relaxed lunch at another time.
Going completely off topic, do people think that the Queen and DoE ever visit Highgrove?

I have never heard of them visiting Highgrove, in one biography I read the Queen preferred to go to Princess Anne´s place to visit, at least when P. A´s children were young.

It is more likey tohave been a cup of tea at Windsor for the first meeting, and perhaps a relaxed lunch at another time.

I assume they would have at least shared a few words at William's passing out at Sandhurst, Peter Phillips's wedding, or Garter Day '08, and I'll bet their initial meeting probably went the way you suggest, muriel, something like an informal cup of tea with the family.

I do doubt that the two have met privately together, though. That seems like something that HM would only do when/if the two marry.

After watching the recent events of the past year concerning William and Kate, I highly doubt he ever intends to marry her.
He seems to have left for the RAF a single man and Kate is still very much a single woman.
I haven't seen too many people I've known ,live together for a few years then not live together and end up married.
Pr. William seems to be growing as Kate seems to not be doing much.

They've been dating for 7 years, just went on a romantic holiday and seemed quite happy, I feel like they will marry. If Prince William sees that Kate isn't the girl for him, then I think he would have separated her for good a while ago.

I think he did what he wanted to do. Spent time with her before he left, but no engagement and no proposal.
I can only go by her status that he left her in, she is girlfriend of a Prince, he may or may not marry her. I am of the opinion that her mother's reported words about a wedding never happening were quite honest and real.
She is still a girlfriend after all these years, I don't think she will ever go further than being William's girlfriend. Despite her family support and being invited to events and supposedly liked by William's family, he hasn't proposed. I don't believe he ever will. :nonono: :queen3:

I can´t help wondering if Kate will look at anyone else or that hope will keep her going into old age. Perhaps she gets enough satisfaction out of being the Prince´s girlfriend and being invited to all the places that the Prince goes to with the people surrounding the younger royals. I hope not, if this is really not going anywhere it is time for her to go back absolutely to being single.
It was said, way back, that when Diana was thought to be the ideal partner for Prince Charles he asked Camilla´s opinion..... I wonder if Kate´s opinion will be asked one day in the future. For her sake I hope not.

She is still a girlfriend after all these years, I don't think she will ever go further than being William's girlfriend. Despite her family support and being invited to events and supposedly liked by William's family, he hasn't proposed. I don't believe he ever will. :nonono: :queen3:

I am beginning to think Kate has no pride. It was fine for the first few years out of university, but it's getting too long now. I get the distinct feeling she is being used by William, and that she should get out now while the getting's good. Of course I might be wrong, and hope I am, but that is the way I am beginning to see her situation....and the fact I'm currently reading "Cupid and the King" - in particular the part about Charles II & Nell Gwynne - probably doesn't help.

Unless they are already unoffically engaged, I would like to see Kate gather together whatever pride she has left and get out and start doing something that will establish her as an intelligent and competent individiual in her own right, and someone William would be a fool to let slip through his fingers.

I can't see why the pressure on them to marry? They are very young, Will will only be 27 later this year, so what is the hurry? I don't know of many 27 year old British couples marrying these days.

Muriel is right about that:I'm one year older than William and Kate and believe me,no one's in a hurry to get married.Generally,marriage is not a goal among well-educated and independent people of our generation,simply because we are all aware of the fact that it doesn't last long.People like us always evolve and so do our feelings and emotions ;)

imo Marriage is the goal for Kate and her mother.

imo Marriage is the goal for Kate and her mother.

Why? Because if a commoner is involved with a royal, that commoner's mother must automatically be a social-climbing, scheming Machiavelli figure? I don't know that Carole has shown herself to be someone urging her daughter to marry a royal to advance the family, and I think that's what you're implying.

Obviously.:rolleyes::D;) Actually, I think that members of the RF are very, very wary of people who are "social climbers".

Why? Because if a commoner is involved with a royal, that commoner's mother must automatically be a social-climbing, scheming Machiavelli figure?

I would hope William would be savvy enough to know by now if Carole and Kate were like that. Surely he, of all people, would be incredibly sensitive to being used that way.

I think her mother wants marriage because just a few weeks ago in the press, she was talking to someone reportedly fretting about a marriage possibly not happening for Kate.
I don't think she'll get it though. Yes Kate wants marriage, it is William who is not in marriage mode yet, I believe.
In Kate I see a young woman who is about to become a former girlfriend, left behind, while he is growing up. He's dragging his feet with her for a reason.
I think he is keeping himself single for some reason.

I don't buy the press build up that it's a fairytale or big romance, it looks more like deep good friendship, comfort, an easy phone call, dithering,easy availability.

Why? Because if a commoner is involved with a royal, that commoner's mother must automatically be a social-climbing, scheming Machiavelli figure? I don't know that Carole has shown herself to be someone urging her daughter to marry a royal to advance the family, and I think that's what you're implying.

Actually this is usually the case but it is not often that a commoner of lower middle-class would even dream of becoming the Queen of England, usually the person has been quite satisfied to be the mistress of the royal involved, it has happened over and over again. In the time of Charles II, admittedly many years ago, there was even snobbishness among the mistresses of noble birth and common.
It is a a little difficult, I believe, in many cases for people from the US to actually understand how the relationship between royalty and the people works in Britain. Perhaps it will change in these modern times, but I don´t believe it is going to change that quickly unless it becomes a Republic
and if BRF does bring itself to the same level as their people then it will be a republic. If that is good or bad I really don´t know, some people feel more comfortable with tradition, I do, but then many don´t.
It was said about Christmas time that instead of Kate being THE girlfriend she is now regarded as A girlfriend, but so far no hawk-eyed journalist or photographer has managed to find another one.
In any case, in Britain at least, the royal always comes off best and untouched and Kate had a warning when it was said they broke up because Prince Charles allegedly said that if William had no intention of marrying Kate it would be better to break it off straight away instead of keeping her hoping.

It was said about Christmas time that instead of Kate being THE girlfriend she is now regarded as A girlfriend, but so far no hawk-eyed journalist or photographer has managed to find another one.
In any case, in Britain at least, the royal always comes off best and untouched and Kate had a warning when it was said they broke up because Prince Charles allegedly said that if William had no intention of marrying Kate it would be better to break it off straight away instead of keeping her hoping.

I had a different impression. For me the holiday at Birkhall and William's stay overnight at Catherine's family home was a clear signal that she is THE girlfriend, though not officially the fiancée. I do believe I'm a quite modern mother but even I would not accept a girl's stay overnight if she wasn't the only one at that time in my son's life. On inviting someone to stay overnight in what is a family home despite the grandeur and staff is a clear sign that the family of both concerned accept them as a couple, married or not.

and I believe the media grasped that concept, too. Let's see how long it will take till they get nasty towards Catherine again. I have my suspicions that we'll see some "semi-official" pics or reports about them every three month to protect her till there is an announcement.

Probably Catherine is more like Camilla than one realises from the outside. She is happy to go about her life in a quiet, decent way, is there when William needs her and is content to be able to be with him when he is off duty. William OTOH must realise that due to who he is he has certain restriction when it comes to his love life. He can't be promiscuous, even if he felt like it, he must marry and choose a wife to support him and "the firm", he must stay out of scandals as best as he can (and he better be good!). Within these restriction there is no place for Amour Fou and forget the consequences. For I don't thin the British public would accept an abdication of William and just wal on with the next-in-line as they did in 1936. If William does not feel up to his position, then that's that for the monarchy - IMHO, of course. So why not settle for comfortable, friendly, good-looking Catherine (somewhere in the future) and make the best of life till then.

I guess Prince Charles' last advice is absolutely right-if he said that indeed.But what did his son do?Even spent the night at Kate's parents' house on her birthday...Conclusion:either William is to blame for his spoilt and immature behaviour towards that girl or he's still in love with her.In the last case,we should forget all about these friendships,telephones or availiabilities ;) But again,can anyone claim that he really knows what's going on between ANY couple? :rolleyes:

I had a different impression. .

I agree with you about being modern but not that modern and all that you said, but we have to remember that Prince Charles and Camilla are not an ordinary married couple and their life hasn´t followed convention.
Prince Charles had lots of girlfriends if we can believe some of the biographies we read, Camilla wasn´t the only one but she is the one he loved best and as we all know, they are now happily married.
If Kate had been invited by any other royals other than his father and his stepmother I would agree even more (if that is possible) and take this as a sign that they will get married. From what I have read Prince Charles is an indulgent father and I don´t think he would get on his moral high horse as far as saying it is wrong to sleep with your girlfriend in my house....
as always I will end this with --- I may be wrong.

It must be a slow news days. I highly doubt that Miss Middleton will move to New York.

Leave Party Pieces? Well no one can doubt that she has an eye for fashion. a bit old and formal for her age perhaps but it might just be the right move, if it is true.

Hmmm,that's odd :rolleyes: First of all,because there are rumours that Anna Wintour is no longer working for Vogue...In other words,she probably got fired ;) And how is Kate 100% sure that the paparazzi will leave her alone in NY? :whistling: Anyway,even if she finally goes there,I'm sure she will take some fresh air and some "new experiences",as she likes to call it,and within a year she'll be back to London.I don't want to be the "bad guy" here,but seriously now,is there anyone on the forum that thinks Kate is gonna be a "career-girl"? :nonono:

It is a a little difficult, I believe, in many cases for people from the US to actually understand how the relationship between royalty and the people works in Britain. Perhaps it will change in these modern times, but I don´t believe it is going to change that quickly unless it becomes a Republic and if BRF does bring itself to the same level as their people then it will be a republic. If that is good or bad I really don´t know, some people feel more comfortable with tradition, I do, but then many don´t.

I've lived on both sides of the Atlantic, so I feel like I have a pretty healthy grasp on the vagaries of the English class system and its prejudices. My comment wasn't about the unique issues of a commoner dating a royal, though -- it was about the presumption that any relationship between a royal and a commoner must be based on social angling and power hunger rather than love. I just reject the idea that the Middletons must be social climbers because their daughter's longtime boyfriend is an heir to the throne, and I also reject the idea that William would be able to be hoodwinked by these people for half a decade if that were the case (and I think it's not).

I know that you're one who would prefer the traditions of royalty to stay that way, Menarue, and that's totally fine. I'm just saying that I don't know that we can depict the relationship between William and Kate in the same terms that we would have depicted the same relationship even fifty years ago. We're in a post-Diana/Charles/Camilla world now when it comes to royal relationships, and most of the traditional mores of royal marriage don't work anymore.

It must be a slow news days. I highly doubt that Miss Middleton will move to New York.

I tend to doubt it, too -- wasn't a US move rumored for Kate a year or so ago? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Actually in our different ways I think we were saying the same thing Ella Kay :flowers:

There's been press reports of a move for her, for a job in the past, when the relationship doesn't bring forth an engagement. I doubt the NY story also, just as I doubt any engagement or marriage is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom