The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Majesty

Right. Forgot about that engagement entirely. That engagement was a suprise one. We thought that it would happen eventually, but it was taking so long. Sound familiar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Edward and Sophie's engagement was announced on January 6th. Depending on what time of day it was announced, it was still during liturgical Christmastide.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Nobility

Doesn't William go away in January though for a few years?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I guess if January 6 comes and goes without an announcement there is always Valentine's day.........
Old 12-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

We know that he'll be committed to a job in the military for several more years, but it doesn't mean that he's "going away" -- reports say he'll be stationed in Shropshire as an SAR pilot.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 12-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
´Don´t be unfair Muriel, as a taxpayer you know that the royal family costs absolutely nothing more to the British citizen than an old fashioned farthing, sous, tikkie, etc.penny, cent..... per annum.
......and a wedding probably even less.....
A country that can afford to pay for large country estates as weekend retreats for both Queen and Prime Minister (whose residence at Downing Street 10 is nearly as large as Buckingham Palace but whose living quarters have been redecorated each time a new PM-family moved in), such a country can easily manage the wedding of the heir direct of the Heir Apparent, I'd say.

We are always talking about the taxpayers and the cost of the RF - noone ever mentioned that Sarkozy when he became president of France decided that he needed much more money for travels abroards, that the Elysée Palace needed to be redecorated etc. But then Sarkozy actually rules and reigns in France...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
We know that he'll be committed to a job in the military for several more years, but it doesn't mean that he's "going away" -- reports say he'll be stationed in Shropshire as an SAR pilot.
The training part of it is done at the Wales base looking at the official website. But I have read he will be at shropshire also for a bit.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Downing Street is almost as big as Buckingham Palace? The last I heard it had two bedrooms, in fact the Blair had to change with Brown when he was next door because his house had three bedrooms. Buckingham Palace I think has a few more rooms than that.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Nobility

I don't believe that, considering the White House doesn't even compare to Buckingham Palace.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
A country that can afford to pay for large country estates as weekend retreats for both Queen and Prime Minister (whose residence at Downing Street 10 is nearly as large as Buckingham Palace but whose living quarters have been redecorated each time a new PM-family moved in), such a country can easily manage the wedding of the heir direct of the Heir Apparent, I'd say.

We are always talking about the taxpayers and the cost of the RF - noone ever mentioned that Sarkozy when he became president of France decided that he needed much more money for travels abroards, that the Elysée Palace needed to be redecorated etc. But then Sarkozy actually rules and reigns in France...
10 Downing Street is nowhere near as big as Buckingham Palace. BP is a couple of city blocks in size and takes me about an hour to walk around the outside of the grounds.

The full length of Downing Street and the block in which it was, in 1980 when you could walk down the street, about a 2 minute walk with the block about 10 minutes to walk around and there are a number of houses in the block.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
10 Downing Street is nowhere near as big as Buckingham Palace. BP is a couple of city blocks in size and takes me about an hour to walk around the outside of the grounds.

The full length of Downing Street and the block in which it was, in 1980 when you could walk down the street, about a 2 minute walk with the block about 10 minutes to walk around and there are a number of houses in the block.

Have a look.

10 Downing Street in London ** landmark guide at 123 London
Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Yes, but all the other houses in Downing Street belong to Nr. 10 the same way the office wings belong to Buckingham Palace. They house different offices of different ministers, but they all are in use by the government. They are interconnected and have wings in the back. Plus BP has a lot of reception rooms while the reception rooms of the government are in other parts of Whitehall. Here's a quite interesting page with a lot of information about Downing Street, its history and the space that is covered by it:
Survey of London: volume 14 - St Margaret, Westminster, part III: Whitehall II | British History Online

Downing Street has no large park attached to it, thus it is a shorter walk around.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

It is like one big office building with some reception rooms but that still doesn´t change the fact that they have two bedrooms in one residence and three in the other. The offices may be many, but the private quarters are small.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Downing Street is almost as big as Buckingham Palace? The last I heard it had two bedrooms, in fact the Blair had to change with Brown when he was next door because his house had three bedrooms. Buckingham Palace I think has a few more rooms than that.
Are you serious? 10 Downing actually only has two bedrooms?

Weird............ I'm not saying the PM has to live in something like BP but I would have guessed his official residence had more than 2 bedrooms. I mean, there's a lot of room for in between 2 bedrooms, and BP!!!!

Jo, I was fascinated by your explanation of 10 Downing. I never knew all of that stuff. I always wonder if the legend is true, that BP, St James, KP, Westminster, and Downing St are connected by underground tunnels.

Anyway, I'm sorry to reply on a topic that is so far off thread topic. But that is very cool information!!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Rumors are floating around the blogosphere that Kate was seen out at an English National Ballet performance of The Sleeping Beauty recently (the source is apparently the ever-reliable Daily Express, but the column isn't online).

Could she be emerging? Heck, I'd come out of hiding to see the ENB do Tchaikovsky. The Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorites!

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 12-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Are you serious? 10 Downing actually only has two bedrooms?
Something like that. Tony Blair and his family switched houses with Gordon Brown for a while (The Blairs moved to #11, the Browns to #10) so they could have more room for their family.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Something like that. Tony Blair and his family switched houses with Gordon Brown for a while (The Blairs moved to #11, the Browns to #10) so they could have more room for their family.
I wondered about that!! Seriously, when I read that from menarue, I was like, where the heck did all those Blair kids sleep?!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I believe that Prime Ministers of England are not supposed to "breed" .
Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Aristocracy

Kate and William sighting at Sandringham.

Kate aims high as she joins bearded Wills, Harry and mystery blonde on royal shoot | Mail Online

The pics are not clear, but it looks like they are still friends at least. But are they still romantically linked though?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Nobility

Beats me. Guess we'll see how the training goes. I think the beard stole the show!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
Kate and William sighting at Sandringham.

Kate aims high as she joins bearded Wills, Harry and mystery blonde on royal shoot | Mail Online

The pics are not clear, but it looks like they are still friends at least. But are they still romantically linked though?

As we have heard nothing to the contrary I would say yes.

Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press