The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Royal Highness

A Merry Christmas For Kate & The 'Pushy Middletons'? Interesting article about Kate and where she will be for Christmas.
The Royalist - A Merry Christmas For Kate & The 'Pushy Middletons'?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well if she was talking loud enough to be eavesdropped by someone she didn´t know about an intimate subject like that well that would make her too naive to be believed.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I don't know, Empress. If the relationship is about to end, then the interview can set Kate up in a sympathetic position of breaking off with William because of the public pressures to her family rather than having Kate perceived as being dumped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post

If that was the point of the interview, then it is even worse because then she is doing exactly what she pretends to abhor: PR.
Hey, if my daughter was getting ready for a very public breakup and a nasty press afterwards, I would feel no guilt in using some preventive PR to protect my daughter even if I had to lie to do it. Its the maternal instinct, I can find no fault in Carole Middleton's statement if these are her motives. People can say what they want about her family, but in the event of a breakup, Kate needs all the support she can get, and if her mother is trying to soften the blow by distracting people with another potential cause for a breakup, I say more power to her. If I were in Kate's position, I'd love my mother to pieces for doing the same.

Quote:
Well this time she had a problem with keeping her mouth shut, it would have been much better to keep a dignified silence.
A dignified silence wouldn't help if Kate and William were actually breaking up. You notice that she didn't point fingers at the Royal Family; only the press and the public scrutiny. Its a very safe complaint to make if Kate and William are breaking up and Kate is not expecting to stay in the limelight, it doesn't hurt the Royal Family and in the long run, it won't hurt the Kate and the Middletons if they intend to lead normal non-public lives from now on.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that the only people who should openly comment on any relationship, let alone one that is quite high profile, are either the people who are in the relationship themselves, or those that have been hired to do that job specifically.

In this case, it would be better if Mrs Middleton supported her daughter quietly rather than eking out press coverage from whatever might be happening. Having a family member with a big mouth, whether commenting directly on the relationship, the relationships effect on her (which no one really cares about), or the periphery of the relationship, can do no good in my mind.

Personally I would rather have people who are supportive in private and not in public. You certainly don't see other members of the Royal Families of Europe's girlfriends or boyfriends family members opening up to the press. And if they do, they quickly find themselves out of favor.

No, I don't think that I would classify this as support in any way shape or form. If she hates all of the attention so much why is she speaking to a journalist?

Both Kate and her family knew what they were getting into when she started dating one of the most eligible bachelors in the world. And if they did not know then, they certainly knew long ago.

It certainly does not hurt the Royal Family, I suppose, although we will never know, but I would imagine that they are very wary of press grubbing people after the whole Diana fiasco. But I can see no gain in it either.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Nobility

But why is there a need for Mrs. Middleton to speak to the press? her daughter hasn't been hounded by the press recently. We don't know where she is, she could have died and we didn't know it! There was no absolute need for her to have a new reputation to make it worse than what it is now, of speaking to the press. If she were trying to boost business that would be fine, but speaking about family on personal terms is not something that would make the royal family happy, especially the Queen.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
talking loud enough to be eavesdropped by someone she didn´t know about an intimate subject like that
Intimate subject? That she doesn't like the press attention and James writes articles and started his own business? Your definition of intimate must be totally opposite to mine.

Quote:
I think that the only people who should openly comment on any relationship, let alone one that is quite high profile, are either the people who are in the relationship themselves, or those that have been hired to do that job specifically.
Where did Carole comment on the relationship? Did I miss something? The only quotes of Carole I could find are these three neither of which mentions Kate in any significant manner let alone William:

Quote:
"I'm not a celebrity and don't want to be one. Celebrities have minders and PR people. I don't want a PR person and wouldn't want to have to pay to employ one. I haven't asked for all this."
Quote:
"I'm concerned about my business; that's my focus," she said. "I don't want the attention to detract from that. I'm also worried for my family: I have three children – not just Catherine."
Quote:
"James is very good with it all," says his mother. "He writes articles and has business projects which he wants to talk about, but then it's difficult when everything else is going on around him and people don't just want to know about his projects."
Is there another article on the subject with more quotes in it?
Old 12-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
Personally I would rather have people who are supportive in private and not in public.
Me too, Empress, although that is mainly if Kate intends to stay in the public eye. If so, her mother's better off supporting her by keeping her mouth shut. If Kate is getting out of the relationship and needs to start over post-William, that is another situation entirely and if that is the case, I think her mother's interview is quite supportive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
It certainly does not hurt the Royal Family, I suppose, although we will never know, but I would imagine that they are very wary of press grubbing people after the whole Diana fiasco. But I can see no gain in it either.
The gain for Kate is that if the public finds out soon that they have broken up, attention will be pointed to her mother's interview and the fact that her family was complaining about the press attention. It would deflect the press' attention from other reasons that would be more harmful to Kate's reputation.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Not for me. I would prefer, if it were me, to just let the press attention die a natural death. This will just make it more intrusive. At least that is my experience with journalists. It might deflect very briefly, but not enough to warrant making the interview in the first place I think.

If they are indeed breaking up, then I think that it would be in Kates best interest if she, and those around her just quietly went away and did not say anything. By opening herself up, Mrs Middleton has opened herself up to further intrusiveness, which will only increase if anything, one way or the other happens.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
Intimate subject? That she doesn't like the press attention and James writes articles and started his own business? Your definition of intimate must be totally opposite to mine.

Where did Carole comment on the relationship? Did I miss something? The only quotes of Carole I could find are these three neither of which mentions Kate in any significant manner let alone William:

Is there another article on the subject with more quotes in it?
Most people know how to read between the lines even those reading newspapers.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Aristocracy

OK, I see, you blame Carole Middleton for "saying" what you read into her quotes...
Old 12-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
If the relationship is about to end, then the interview can set Kate up in a sympathetic position of breaking off with William because of the public pressures to her family rather than having Kate perceived as being dumped.
That would be a naive try, nothing more. In case there is a break up and Carole tries to make people believe that it's all down to public pressure the only thing people will think is "why didn't the Middletons stay out of the kitchen if they couldn't stand the heat?".

In case there is a split without any further comment people will think that Waity Katie was being dumped anyway and go "Well done, Wills"; it doesn't really matter what the Middleton camp will have to say or even if Kate came up with a most credible tell-it-all-story, "Why I dumped Wills", people will still think that Wills sent her the return ticket, not the other way around. Kate has been in that I'll-do-anything-for-that-ring-on-my-finger drawer for much too long. Sorry but in this case the public will be on the Royal side even though many think William is a dimwit. The tenor will be "Lucky Wills escaped by the skin of his teeth, but now it's new game, new luck!".
Old 12-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Commoner

... !!

I subscribe to the point of view that no one is obligated to make any sort of public statement... but I thought I could add, as it might be useful to keep in mind, that so long as the nature of the former acquaintanceship of Prince William and Miss Middleton remains uncertain, many individuals will continue to benefit from this public uncertainty.

However this term (of uncertainty) has nearly expired...

I suppose I'm only mentioning this now out of the frustration that I and others feel and thought I'd take my chances by posting it.

-Karagiosis
Old 12-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Majesty

I am disappointed to learn that Mrs. Middleton decided to give an interview. Her interview may backfire by creative interpretations and analysis of every word she uttered.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
OK, I see, you blame Carole Middleton for "saying" what you read into her quotes...
I said "most" people, there are always slower/duller exceptions.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I said "most" people, there are always slower/duller exceptions.
Would it not be more appropriate to say some read between the lines and others don't. Maybe less offensive than calling people slow or dull.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

No, I meant it, some people are not so quick reading between the lines, others are dull, of course I was not mentioning anyone in particular.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Aristocracy

I guess I am the execption to the rule. I think Catherine and William are bound to have talked about all of this getting/not getting married thing. I don't understand this idea of "lifetime dating". But if they wanted to get married surely they would have. I would hope the palace is not stopping them for some reason. Catherine could become a military wife. Lots of couples do it. It seems to me one or the other doesn't want to get married at this time (I have an opinion as to who it is). And it seems to be ok with the other. I hope neither is stringing the other along as that is not fair to either one or them. But it seems that they have been a couple long enough to talk about the serious things in life, so I would think if it were important to one or the other they would have married or broken up for good. This is only my opiniom anyway.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

While I know people have strong feelings on both sides of this particular issue, it'd be nice if everyone participated in this thread in a spirit of cooperation and consideration for other participants' feelings, especially since this is an issue where we aren't privy to the facts (at least most of them) and people will be drawing different conclusions from the information we do have.

Thanks!

Elspeth
British Royals moderator
Old 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I agree, mrsbugman. They may just not be ready to get married yet. They're not even thirty. Just because lots of us on the 'net are ready to see a royal wedding doesn't mean that they feel ready yet for that level of commitment. Lots of people date for years before getting married - it's not really that abnormal.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 12-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Nobility

They might have dated some years, but others they might have been friends and the press took it way out of whack. If you love someone and you know tahtt they are the one, why wait seven years. That's what gives me the idea that William does not intend on marrying Kate. There has been no sign William wants to marry her, of course she wants to marry him though! He wants to play the field more you can tell he isn't devoted to anybody.

Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press