The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

As long as the fruits of their labour isn´t the crown of England I am ok.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Nobility

Pity for you then. I'm ok either way, since my well being doesn't depend on what these people do or don't do.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well it doesn´t for me either, it is just that I would find it very sad for yet another royal family to disappear into oblivion, it is mainly a love of history and tradition that gives me the interest, not the "love story" of the century for sure.
Living where I do I have seen the late King of Italy´s house turned into a luxury hotel, I have also seen what has happened to the other royal houses and the families who were living here.
A shame from my personal point of view.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
Pity for you then. I'm ok either way, since my well being doesn't depend on what these people do or don't do.
Hummm...I can't think of many people whose well being would depend on what these two do.

I think a wedding within the next 2-3 years would be unlikely. As gabby_windsor pointed out, too expensive. And I just can't see them settling down so soon. They don't seem ready, given the partying etc.

And as Lighthouse said, the role of the paparazzi may have something to do with this delay, although my personal opinion is that Kate would be better off once they're settled and married. The press might not be so crazy about her then because there is no need to speculate on their romance. Only need to speculate whether she's pregnant or not. But they seem to be doing that already anyway! I think once they become a 'boring old married couple', life will be easier for them because they will get less trouble from the press.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Majesty

That's what people thought would happen with Charles and Diana, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelight View Post
I think once they become a 'boring old married couple', life will be easier for them because they will get less trouble from the press.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Gentry

I have been out of here for a while so explain please what does "do a Viscount Linley mean?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Gentry

I have a question..

Is Kate Middleton really, truely, fuly a "commoner"? If so, and if she marries Prince Wiliam, and he succeeds to the throne, then she will be the first truely peasant Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland.

Elizabeth Woodville, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Katherine Howard, Katherine Parr, Anne Hyde, Elizabeth Bowles-Lyon, were all born into millionaire aristocratic fortunes, and almost all of them trace back to royal lineage. Although not consorts, Diana Spencer, Sarah Ferguson, Camilla Parker-Bowles and the present Countes of Wessex are also likewise aristocrately born and trace back to royal blood, even if only illegitimately.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness

Someone has mentioned that the BRF is not "liquid" in money,that's why a big-scale wedding would be out of the question.Can this be possible?Persuade me,please!
And by the way,Ireland is a free democratic country.Maybe you wanted to say something else,right Velasco?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Gentry

Another thing.

I've been living outside of the UK the last few years and I have been taken rather by surprise these last few days as I have google'd and wikipedia'd the royal house. I had heard of Charles-Camilla marriage, and of her becoming Duchess of Cornwall, and had also heard of Kate Middleton previously but never really taken it very seriously. I'm shocked at how quickly Charles and William have aged! And also shocked that this rather plain girl might one day become Queen-consort. Its amazing how things change in just a few years.

IMHO whomever William marries will have to be both beautiful, charismatic and extremely intelligent, be humble/sweet enough to endear the British public but savvy enough to "market" herself successful and play the press to her advantage. Inevitably, next Princess of Wales will be compared to Diana, or worse yet, what Diana could have been, as Queen-Consort. I really don't think Kate Middleton has what it takes to fill such big shoes. She is good looking, yes, but I don't know...can't put my finger on it...she just lacks something. The X-Factor, lol. She lacks charisma, I think, which the next Princess of Wales/Queen-Consort must have if the monarchy is to have any extended future. Prince William is quite boring and he needs an interesting wife, someone in the mold of his mother, of Grace Kelly, of Mrs Sarkozy. Someone beautiful, elegant, glamorous; who is an adored, trendsetting, A-list celebrity par excellence yet still as exalted and dignified as royalty should be.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakynthi View Post
Someone has mentioned that the BRF is not "liquid" in money,that's why a big-scale wedding would be out of the question.Can this be possible?Persuade me,please!
And by the way,Ireland is a free democratic country.Maybe you wanted to say something else,right Velasco?
Isn't the Queen still Queen of Ireland? Northern Ireland, at least?

Even if she isn't..all of the other Queen-consorts that I cited would have been Queen-Consort of Ireland anyways

As for money... I'm sure that between them Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, Prince Charles, and the Middletons (they're millionaires, right?) can pull enough money together to provide for a proper wedding from their own pockets. Anything the government put towards it would just be a bonus really. I mean, just the yearly incomes from Duchy of Lancaster and Cornwall mean Prince Charles must have a huge liquid income per annum, certainly enough for a marriage.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Aristocracy

Kate is a rich girl she isn't some poor working class woman. Her family are self made millionaires so she maybe common but she is not by no means poor.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Gentry

Thanks for that clarification.

So basically, she's rich - but she's still a peasant. A daughter of the bourgeousie. Doing quite well for herself, the first bourgouise Queen of England
Old 11-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velasco View Post
Isn't the Queen still Queen of Ireland? Northern Ireland, at least?
Even if she isn't..all of the other Queen-consorts that I cited would have been Queen-Consort of Ireland anyways
I have written and deleted this post so many times because I dont want to start an argument on politics but please remember that Northern Ireland is regarded by many Irish as being under an occuping hostile military force. Yes the Queen is still its head of state and god save the peace process long may it continue. But Ireland does not have a queen/king and has not for many years. OK I think thats my least political draft so I will post it and please I dont want to drag this thread into a political debate that has been ongoing for several hundred years at this point with no clear winner just lots and lots of losers on both sides.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Gentry

Oh sorry - didn't realise it was such a big deal.

I wasn't attempting to involve politics in the matter, it just came out naturally to say Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland, since most English kings and their consorts have used those three royal styles over the last centuries, plus France (or what's left of English-held France, namely the Channel Islands) and in more recent times India.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Majesty

He went out with Susannah Constantine for years, then broke up with her (or she with him) and seemed to get engaged to Serena Stanhope not long after that. Serena Stanhope is the grand-daughter of the Earl of Harrington, and so I think that some are hoping that William and Kate will end and William will find a nice aristocratic girl. If not, at least that he'll find someone besides Kate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy81 View Post
I have been out of here for a while so explain please what does "do a Viscount Linley mean?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velasco View Post
Another thing.

I've been living outside of the UK the last few years and I have been taken rather by surprise these last few days as I have google'd and wikipedia'd the royal house. I had heard of Charles-Camilla marriage, and of her becoming Duchess of Cornwall, and had also heard of Kate Middleton previously but never really taken it very seriously. I'm shocked at how quickly Charles and William have aged! And also shocked that this rather plain girl might one day become Queen-consort. Its amazing how things change in just a few years.

IMHO whomever William marries will have to be both beautiful, charismatic and extremely intelligent, be humble/sweet enough to endear the British public but savvy enough to "market" herself successful and play the press to her advantage. Inevitably, next Princess of Wales will be compared to Diana, or worse yet, what Diana could have been, as Queen-Consort. I really don't think Kate Middleton has what it takes to fill such big shoes. She is good looking, yes, but I don't know...can't put my finger on it...she just lacks something. The X-Factor, lol. She lacks charisma, I think, which the next Princess of Wales/Queen-Consort must have if the monarchy is to have any extended future. Prince William is quite boring and he needs an interesting wife, someone in the mold of his mother, of Grace Kelly, of Mrs Sarkozy. Someone beautiful, elegant, glamorous; who is an adored, trendsetting, A-list celebrity par excellence yet still as exalted and dignified as royalty should be.

As the last person to use the Princess of Wales title had all those things and nearly destroyed the House of Windsor I suspect William will go for boring and safe rather than charismatic and dangerous.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelight View Post
Hummm...I can't think of many people whose well being would depend on what these two do.
Are you kidding? There are websites out there where young girls and sadly women do nothing but stick pins in Kate Middleton dolls all day long. And that's putting it mildly. You don't see it here in blatant and appalling forms because the mods won't allow it. God love them.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As the last person to use the Princess of Wales title had all those things and nearly destroyed the House of Windsor I suspect William will go for boring and safe rather than charismatic and dangerous.
William strikes me as a person who has been clamoring for stability his whole life, and I'm sure his choice of a partner will reflect that desire to have a calm and uncomplicated personal life. That, in turn, could only benefit an institution like the monarchy, which is often served well by stable and calm people, I think.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 PM
Majesty

I agree. Sometimes what might appear to be "boring" is actually "stable and calm." So many exciting, glamourous people have ended up in bad ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
William strikes me as a person who has been clamoring for stability his whole life, and I'm sure his choice of a partner will reflect that desire to have a calm and uncomplicated personal life. That, in turn, could only benefit an institution like the monarchy, which is often served well by stable and calm people, I think.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Nobility

I get that impression of him as well. And Kate's family is close knit from all that we can tell, with two parents who appear to work well together and have a stable, loving relationship. A very nurturing family, something I would think is probably appealing, reassuring to William.

Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press