The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
Yes, for "ordinary" couples but the scale of a wedding of an heir to the throne can hardly be downsized to a degree that the public would find acceptable in economic recession, I guess. Several hundred foreign dignitaries would have to be invited and hosted etc probably for millions of pounds. An engagement ring would have to be representative and hence be rather expensive, too, the same goes for the dress. Some of the rack piece for some hundred pounds surely doesn't do for a future Queen. It's not like William could marry with 100 people in Balmoral on HM's private expense. So I DO see the argument that this would not be good times to plan such a party.
There are royal weddings, and there are royal weddings - the key thing is that each wedding can be tailored to the specific circumstances. I hate to put it like this, but the cost of the dress and ring are hardly material in this context!

That said, just on the subject of the ring, even if the cost of the ring became an issue, I am sure the odd trinket could be found in the royal vaults that could do the job. Foeign dignitiaries do not need to be accomodated - they typically make their own arrangements and tend to stay at the embassy / high commission of their country.

Wedding expenses are typically bourn by HM. Celebrtions can be limited, but thats hardly the point. And I know that times have changed, but the wedding of the Edinburgh's was actually one ofthe ways the government was keen to lift the national mood after WW2!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

About the ring, Prince Charles gave Camilla a "little" old ring that had belonged to his grandmother......I wonder what his grandmother would have thought of that. She may have been pleased, and then again she may not have been. Nice ring though.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Wedding expenses are typically bourn by HM. Celebrtions can be limited, but thats hardly the point. And I know that times have changed, but the wedding of the Edinburgh's was actually one ofthe ways the government was keen to lift the national mood after WW2!
I can see both sides of the argument - an extravagant wedding in tough economic times could make the royals seem out of touch with the people, and that's the last thing they need right now, but a royal wedding could also be a major coup for the tourism industry in Britain (and probably other parts of the economy, too). There would be wedding souvenirs, books, videos, all sorts of merchandise, plus the boost for businesses like hotels, restaurants, and others that would cater to people coming to London to see the occasion.

I don't know. I'd hope that, if/when they decide to get married, they'll just go ahead with it and tailor the occasion to fit with the economic mood.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Majesty

Quite right.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
...but a royal wedding could also be a major coup for the tourism industry in Britain (and probably other parts of the economy, too). There would be wedding souvenirs, books, videos, all sorts of merchandise, plus the boost for businesses like hotels, restaurants, and others that would cater to people coming to London to see the occasion.
at least one member of the brf won't share your view. philip certainly won't be amused - for him tourism is just "national prostitution", remember
Old 11-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
at least one member of the brf won't share your view. philip certainly won't be amused - for him tourism is just "national prostitution", remember
.... but even philip is pragmatic enough to accept a degree of national prostitution from time to time! He may complain, but at least the tourists allow him to stand in his study and have somebody to laugh at, without venturing far!
Old 11-27-2008, 01:01 PM

I appreciate the idea for William's wedding to be a scaled down version of a royal wedding. I used to say I'd like to see him have something like Peter's or Edward's wedding but people here said I must be crazy since he is the heir to the heir to the throne. What would be not "crazy," a "scaled down" or "the works" style ceremony in Westminster Abbey? I will be happy with whatever kind of ceremony CH/BP deems appropriate, for William, for the bride, and for the "times." I am actually more curious to read more thoughts on it from other posters as well as the lurkers out there who might be too shy to unmask themselves.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Nobility

Well, I'm a lurker, so I'll be the first to venture a thought...

As press-shy as William appears to be, I almost think he would prefer a scaled-down wedding rather than something fabulously elaborate and excessively expensive. It would seem to suit the relationship he has with Kate if it were a low-key affair, as intimate as is possible for the second in line to the throne.

Not that I necessarily expect to see an engagement announcement too soon. I used to think that before William signed up for the SAR training, but now, I lean towards agreeing with those who expect a wedding in the summer of 2010 at the earliest. But, there is that bit with Sophie losing her patronages, which could go to a new member of the BRF should there be one in the offing.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

There are two young Royals who have just told the whole world via TV that they want to be "hands-on"-charity worker, espeically when it comes to children. About time the queen takes them by their own words. You know, the old method: if someone is running wild, it's because they're too idle. So keep them occupied.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Majesty

So who is running wild?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Glad to see you delurking, Sunnystar.

I think you have a good point about William: he may be happier with a scaled down wedding. I also think that a less lavish event might be more appropriate for today, and not just because of the economic conditions. Attitudes to the monarchy have changed over the last 27 years since Charles' first wedding, and I don't think there would be anywhere near the interest there was then, with all the street parties, etc. And there is also the fact that the fairytale element has gone, permanently I think. Everyone now knows that heirs to the Crown - and their brother and their sister - can get divorced and remarry, so it might not be forever after, and I think that will make a considerable difference.

I don't think that any member of the RF's personal plans, such as the wish to get married, should be postponed because of economic circumstances; if they want to get married, they should get married. I agree with others who have said they should tailor the occasion to meet the economic mood.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Have these two be seen together in the last few weeks? I may have missed some outings but I wonder. Last photos I have seen of WIlliam were during the bike race but none since. Help?
Old 11-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Nobility

William won't be getting maried probably until he is in his thirties. I think people have a long time to prepare, which is good. It will be after all of the troubles and it will be big and fun.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Aristocracy

William and Kate have not been photographed together since they attended a friend's wedidng in Austria 5 September. I think William was last pictured at the Buckingham Palace party for his father's birthday November 13. Kate has not been photographed since October 14 when the pictures of her allegedly driving while on the phone were taken.
There was gossip that they spend a hunting weekend in Birkhall in late October/early November and there were reports that she attended Charles' birthday party in Highrove November 15.
Reportedly William has been on a mission in the Caribbean with the SBS for 10 days starting November 17 - so he should be back by now.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Isana. I am glad I am up to date with their comings and goings. I guess we have to wait for the Christmas holidays to see if anything new develops.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

I doubt that either William or Harry could get away with a small scale wedding. Zara yes, but William and Harry no.

I think William will marry in his 30's and i'm not sure Kate will be around by then.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Thank you Isana. I am glad I am up to date with their comings and goings. I guess we have to wait for the Christmas holidays to see if anything new develops.
After Christmas she's on her own for a few years.
Haven't heard the old Sandringham story lately, pity.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Aristocracy

The annual Sandringham story was already posted in July this year apparently for lack of other stories. Kate politely declined the invitation to spend Christmas with her family - as usual.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
I doubt that either William or Harry could get away with a small scale wedding. Zara yes, but William and Harry no.

I think William will marry in his 30's and i'm not sure Kate will be around by then.
I agree Kezza, I want William to have a big wedding, if he marries a good girl. Why should the other royal familes have large up-scale weddings but not Britain.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:47 PM

Wink

I've been wondering something. I'm just trying it on for size. Maybe there's been a deal between the media and ???? Leave Kate alone until........ XYZ and then you'll have something.

It's not fact, not speculation, not a matter to debate with me on. It's just a little game of fill in the blanks and let me see if a) most think I'm crazy, b) some people wanna go HMMM, or c) all think I'm nuttier than squirrel poo

Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press