The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
I don't think Kate would be very good for the monarchy. that might make the feelings even worse, that could eventually bring it down.
Could you please elaborate why you think that Kate wouldn't be very good for the monarchy?

Just curious.

Personally I don't enough about her to make a judgement. This is what I do know:

She went to a good school and a very good university, where she graduated with a solid degree.
She comes from a solid middle class family.
She enjoys going to parties and getting drunk.
She has a boyfriend.
She doesn't seem to have a full time job outside of her parents' business.

That is the sum total of my knowledge and so I don't think I can make a judgement as there just isn't enough there for me (but I accept that some people can make a judgement on that amount of knowledge).

Old 11-22-2008, 04:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

I would like to add the little that I know to Iluvbertie´s list

She went to a good school and university but she has never used her degree.
Her family is nouveau riche and have just entered the middle class fairly recently.
She enjoys parties and getting drunk.
She has a boyfriend.
She doesn´t seem to have a full time job outside her parents´business so can have a great many holidays in expensive places.
She wears Issy often
She seems to wait about a lot.
Her brother and sister like to take advantage of the fame their sister´s boyfriend has given her.
She doesn´t fall over very gracefully.
She looks good in hats, which is an enormous asset if you want to be royal.
She has a very good figure.
She loves boots.
She seems to giggle a lot.
She is 27?
She has been invited to important social occasions because of her boyfriend.
Her mother made the social solecism of chewing gum at at Sandhurst with the Queen present
She is credited with taking photographs for her family´s on line party pieces business.
She complained of pap harassment which brought back memories of Princess Diana.

That is all I can think of the moment. If anyone can add to the list I would be interested, but only things we actually know about her.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Which 20-something doesn't? To be fair one should add that she isn't out and about often though (see below).

Quote:
Her family is nouveau riche and have just entered the middle class fairly recently.
I am not sure whether this is true. It may be right for Carole but Kate's father from what I read comes from a very well established middleclass family with quite some influence in the Leeds area.

Quote:
Her brother and sister like to take advantage of the fame their sister´s boyfriend has given her.
I guess this one is debatable unless you count going to society parties as "taking advantage" of fame - though I am not sure what that "advantage" would be. Both Pippa and James have been raked over the coals by the British press so I guess they paid their price.

Quote:
That's hilarious! I'd love to see someone fall gracefully!

Maybe we could add

She was hardly seen out and about this year and has not been pictured for over a month now.

She seems to be very close to her family members.

She has an incredible ability to keep her head up and smile no matter what the press throws her way - also rather useful for a royal, I guess.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
I guess this one is debatable unless you count going to society parties as "taking advantage" of fame - though I am not sure what that "advantage" would be. Both Pippa and James have been raked over the coals by the British press so I guess they paid their price.
I suppose the advantage is the cachet from being Kate's sibling. It can get you in somewhere. But I agree with you, there is nothing unusual about this because most people in the metropolitan culture use some kind of cachet to "go places." If anyone is going to "call" Pippa and James on "taking advantage" of a connection, such person ought to take a look closer to home, not only at the self, but at the people around the self. Everyone might not play the networking game, but if you live in a metropolitan place, you would be hard pressed to find someone who does not do it to some extent. "My cousin knows someone who can get you in the door at such and such company," or "My friend can help us get passes to this very exclusive club," I mean who does not do this ever in their lives?

The thing is, with people in shoes like Pippa's or James', sometimes it is the club owners, the PR people who go out and market these kinds of people, connected to famous people, and of course Pippa and James, like others in similar positions, would be tempted. I mean, who would not be tempted to play the game? They are young and want to be social and have a good time. I don't see any crime in that.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
She went to a good school and university but she has never used her degree.
She has a boyfriend.
She doesn´t seem to have a full time job outside her parents´business so can have a great many holidays in expensive places.
She wears Issy often
She seems to wait about a lot.
She looks good in hats, which is an enormous asset if you want to be royal.
She has a very good figure.
She loves boots.
She seems to giggle a lot.
She is 27?
She has been invited to important social occasions because of her boyfriend.
Her mother made the social solecism of chewing gum at at Sandhurst with the Queen present
She is credited with taking photographs for her family´s on line party pieces business.
She complained of pap harassment which brought back memories of Princess Diana.
Her first car in London was a navy blue Volkswagen Golf.
Now she drives an (white?) Audi (A4?) that the media claimed she bought at a discount.
She is supposed to be among the "Neo Sloane" crowd.
It has often been reported she lives off King's Road, probably in Oakley St, in Chelsea. She likes to shop in King's Road.
She is reportedly the one who convinced William to stay in St Andrews and change his major.
She played field hockey at Marlborough College.
The Topshop dress she wore on her 2007 birthday sold out.
She likes to attend the Cheltenham race meetings.
She also attends the annual Boodles Boxing Ball.
She has been to at least 3 different Swiss skiing resorts (Klosters, Zermatt, and Verbier) and goes at least once a year, usually in April. People say she is "always on holiday" but it seems to me an exageration: a skiing holiday and summer seaside holidays are not unusual, especially for her social crowd.
She likes to fly on EasyJet.
She had a lesson in stalking deer at Balmoral.
She watched the Knights of the garter leave St George's Chapel, Windsor from the royal tent.
She attended Peter Phillips' marriage to Autumn Kelly where she laughed a lot with Prince Harry and Chelsy Davy. It was suggested in the press that she was William's proxy.
She attended Lady Rose Gilman's wedding.
She is said to have attended the celebrations for the Prince of Wales turning 60 though, unlike Chelsy, was not photographed arriving or leaving.
She occasionally rides the bus in London. A pic of her riding the bus in 2005 compelled her father to seek legal advice, and in 2007 (during the "breakup") she was photographed waiting for a bus.
Her supposed resume: Part-time gig at Jigsaw for one? year; helps her parents' business on an as-needed? basis (photographer of products, supposedly)
Interests: Maybe art history since that is what her degree is in, photography, and we have seen at least two evidences that she loves Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (her Sandhurst outfit, and also it was the subject of her dissertation).

That's all I can do for now, guys. This is fun and interesting idea, thanks to Iluvbertie and MEnarue.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

She spoke on her cell phone whilst driving at least once.
Her backyard is used for airforce training.
She refused an invitation to have Christmas with the Queen (???)
She modeled underwear at University
She carries heavy boxes for her parents wearing high heeled shoes.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:39 PM

She got a parking ticket by her house in London at least once, and literally grinned and bore it.
She shops at Marks and Spencer.
She buys her groceries at Tesco.
She likes Miss Sixty jeans. (her $200 jeans)
In March 2007, the Daily Mail painted her as "freebie Kate" with her gifted bags from Burberry & Melissa del Bono, and of course the infamous "discount Audi."
She also likes bags from Longchamps, Michael Kors, and Meli Melo
She favors her pair of Chanel sunglasses.
In 2004, she modeled for Really Wild Things @ the game fair @ Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire. She wore their clothes in a shoot with the palace as the backdrop.
The Daily Mirror paid for a story from a former employer of Kate: he said she worked for him as a "barmaid" for one summer during her university years.
Her parents' legal representatives are the firm Harbottle & Lewis, who apparently also represent the Wales family. The family lawyers have filed many complaints with the Press Complaints Commission about Kate being "harassed."
The media tries often to turn Kate into a real "Fashion icon," always putting her name in Best-dressed lists. But some fashion writers strongly disagree with the notion that she is a "fashion icon." One such person is Suzy Menkes, who says Kate certainly has "potential," but still has a long way to go before reaching true iconic heights.
It has been suggested by snarky people that Kate leaches off William's social circle to constitute her own set.
The friendship between the Robinsons (who own Jigsaw) and the Middletons was exagerated. Belle Robinson told the Evening Standard that she hardly knew Kate before she started working at Jigsaw. Mrs Robinson also said Kate wanted a job that would not interfere with her "high profile" romantic relationship, an interesting suggestion that Kate intends to work her jobs around the relationship rather than the more normal reverse.
We can say for certain: Kate is very privileged!!!! She can work when she can make time away from her boyfriend! Don't most people "make time for the boyfriend" when they don't have to work?!! This girl's life cracks me up.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I see the making of a best seller here.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think Kate brings anything to William's plate except press and party outings. She is not inspiring imo. She went to University, but what has she done since except gain noteriety as the girl waiting for William and for the past year, negative press.

I have always had a bad vibe on Kate and her mother.
As far as William not being able to break up with her, of course he can, ask Prince Fred of Denmark, ask Pr. Felipe, ask Pr. Carl of Sweden, he just dumped his girlfriend of nine years. I have never felt that Kate would make it to the alter with William. Despite the press pushing , I have never believed he would marry her.

Who knows if she is still a serious girlfriend they have not been spotted anywhere together since that summer wedding in Austria. The Charles birthday stories are stories without proof, even if she did go, it indicates she is his girlfriend or is still good friends with her, but not much else really.

It's odd we saw photos of Chelsy arriving at Clarence House the night of one of, Charles parties but not one sign of Kate since the Day Glo Roller Disco outing and the traffic phone photo.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Serene Highness

So I guess when Kate is photographed, she is clamoring for the papparazzi spotlight, but when she lays low, she is in royal disgrace?

Have I missed anything?
Old 11-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Aristocracy

To be honest, I see a lot of the girlfriends of young princes (William, Harry, Andrea, Pierre) be criticized at the smallest things and be deemed "not good enough or suitable" when really, what if William isn't good enough or suitable to Kate? I don't think she or he feel like he's the catch in the relationship and it's unfair to criticize Kate when William himself has done some fairly questionable behavior.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Courtier

Not many pics of Kate out and about lately. Maybe the big announcement is coming soon.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaiya View Post
To be honest, I see a lot of the girlfriends of young princes (William, Harry, Andrea, Pierre) be criticized at the smallest things and be deemed "not good enough or suitable" when really, what if William isn't good enough or suitable to Kate? I don't think she or he feel like he's the catch in the relationship and it's unfair to criticize Kate when William himself has done some fairly questionable behavior.
I am afraid you have it completely wrong Shaiya. William is going to be King of England, is not that a catch for any social climbing girl, you couldn´t go higher than that.
Kate has nothing to qualify her for the "position" of Queen of England except she looks good in photographs and for some reason so many middle and lower middle-class girls have identified with her. Cinderella all over again. I think that this is all very well in story books but in real life it is almost impossible. I admit it has happened - but so far in Britain it hasn´t.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Commoner

Unhappy Kate will be Queen

I completely disagree with you. Firstly, Danish Royals have, in recent times married 'commoners' from abroad, eg: Princess Mary who was an ordinary Australian woman. What about Autumn Kelly ??? She was a Canadian BMW promotional girl when she met the Queen's eldest Grandson. While Princess Di had blue blood and made an excellent Princess, from the Royals perspective a lesson has been learnt that what might seem a good match on paper was not a good 'love match' for Prince Charles and ended in divorce and drama for the Royal family. I think the Royal family have learnt their lessons and I believe that Miss Middleton has the ticket... upper-middle class she might be but she has a St Andrew's Education, dresses like a Sloan, comes from a good family albeit a middle class one and is always emotionally controlled and composed when it counts (media/press.) At the end of the day, Prince William loves her and she has endured a break up, University, military training, time apart, scrutiny by the media and the test of longevity (5 years.) Sorry girls, Prince William will never be a bachelor.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Commoner

Oh and lets face it, in this day and age even aristocratic girls have cobwebs where as Kate has none. If it were any other 20 something girl then the media would have so much more dirt on them - one night stands, ex boyfriends dishing dirt, drunken nights vommiting in a gutter, family cobwebs - with Kate this isn't so and the best they can do is a few party photos of her brother dressed as a tranny - in this day and age that's pretty tame.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAlicia View Post
I completely disagree with you. Firstly, Danish Royals have, in recent times married 'commoners' from abroad, eg: Princess Mary who was an ordinary Australian woman. What about Autumn Kelly ??? She was a Canadian BMW promotional girl when she met the Queen's eldest Grandson.years.)
Well I couldn´t disagree with you more. She is not upper middle class, lower middle class is more like it. Autumn Kelly doesn´t count, her husband is not going to be King of England. The Danes and other Nordic peoples are far more easy going than the British....and by the way who told you that William loves her? Just because she has been hanging round waiting for 5 years doesn´t mean he is going to marry her. He is going to be King of England and I am sure he is going to think very carefully before he commits himself to making any young lady the future Queen of England, and will listen to the Queen and his family before he makes any decision. All the wishful thinking in the world by the "romantic" young soap opera followers will not have any effect on the outcome of this story. Royals are royals, if he finds she is not suitable duty will come first, and although I feel very sorry for Miss Middleton if this happens she will be back to selling party pieces. I really wish that she would find a life for herself instead of living on hope.
The Duke of Windsor had a mistress, Mrs Dudley Ward for 15 years and told the telephonist not to put her through any more , that is the way he broke with her. He had no intention of marrying her but I am just pointing out that 15 years is much longer than 5.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 AM

Question The "bestseller" continues....

What we know about Kate..... She.............

divided her gap year: some in Florence to study art, some in Chile

attended ?Holly Branson's ?birthday bash in South Africa

was @ the center of a debate about "did she or didn't she" go to Seychelles with Prince William for a August/september 2007 holiday

is on PETA's naughty list for unabashedly wearing fur stuffs, i.e. her Russian style hat

attended Hugh van Cutsem's wedding in 2005

attended the wedding of Laura Parker Bowles (Lopes) in ?2006

Invited to join Laura PB & The Duchess of Cornwall in the royal suite at the Cheltenham race meeting, shortly before Laura's marriage (can't remember if the Prince of Wales was also there)
Old 11-23-2008, 10:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I am afraid you have it completely wrong Shaiya. William is going to be King of England, is not that a catch for any social climbing girl, you couldn´t go higher than that.
Kate has nothing to qualify her for the "position" of Queen of England except she looks good in photographs and for some reason so many middle and lower middle-class girls have identified with her. Cinderella all over again. I think that this is all very well in story books but in real life it is almost impossible. I admit it has happened - but so far in Britain it hasn´t.
I'm sorry but just because William will one day be King of England does not mean he can make a good husband or a woman happy!
And what exactly in your mind qualifies someone as a consort? She has been out of the press for ages so who knows what she has been up to? She has never blabbed to the media. And just because she is pictured coming out of nightclubs etc so what? Is she supposed to stop having a life just so the press can't take her photograph?
No commoners have married a monarch in Britain perhaps but the country needs to move with the times. Kate can empathise with those who havn't been born with a silver spoon.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Go on Crm you write to the Queen and tell her what you think. She will be very happy to have your views I am sure.
I have no doubts about Prince William so it is not use asking me if I think he, because he is King, won´t make a good husband or a woman happy..... I am worried about Kate Middleton, for me she is just not the kind of person who would make a good Queen of England, she would probably be a very good wife for someone, just I don´t think she is the right person to be Queen, and unluckily for her, whoever becomes William´s wife will be, God willing, the Queen of England.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Go on Crm you write to the Queen and tell her what you think. She will be very happy to have your views I am sure.
I have no doubts about Prince William so it is not use asking me if I think he, because he is King, won´t make a good husband or a woman happy..... I am worried about Kate Middleton, for me she is just not the kind of person who would make a good Queen of England, she would probably be a very good wife for someone, just I don´t think she is the right person to be Queen, and unluckily for her, whoever becomes William´s wife will be, God willing, the Queen of England.
Menarue I don't understand why I should right to the Queen when I am merely issuing my opinion on a forum! And if you read my post correctly you will see I was the one saying that being a King doesn't constitute being a good husband/catch, not asking you why you though William was a catch.
What I did want to know is why you think Kate could not be Queen. You seem so sure of William and against Kate even though I'm pretty sure you don't know either of them. I'm just curious as to what led you to the opinion that Kate would not make a good Queen

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press