The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Nobility

I meant your actions reflect your personality. Not you are your actions. Why would you repeatedly do something that you do not even like?
She wasn't pulled over, but it was looked at by the police. It's illegal to talk on your phone while driving, with no exceptions to Miss MIddleton.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Serene Highness

Poor William! If talking on a cell phone while driving excludes you from being his girlfriend, that leaves out almost everyone I see on the road every day.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Kate has already proven to be discrete and loyal and, perhaps, those are qualities he is unwilling to cast aside for the unknown.
That was exactly my point and the reason why I think William will stick out with her even if she isn't his great love.
I also agree with the rest of your post, even though you seem to think you are arguing the opposite point? It seems to me we both agree William doesn't have the luxury of looking around for 'True Love' like the rest of us, and has limited prospects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
I meant your actions reflect your personality. Not you are your actions. Why would you repeatedly do something that you do not even like?
She wasn't pulled over, but it was looked at by the police. It's illegal to talk on your phone while driving, with no exceptions to Miss MIddleton.
C'mon! I am not a fan of the girl but this controversy is absurd. Talking on your phone while driving shows carelessness and a momentary lapse in judgment. Hardly enough to draws any kind of conclusion on someone's character. Kate was caught in flagrante of being a human being as we all are at least once a day, no?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Serene Highness

Lol. I was arguing the point that you don't have to have fairy tale story book love to love someone. I don't see William as "settling" for Kate if she brings enough positive qualities that he admires to the table. Maybe the simple truth is that they are comfortable with each other and have been for several years. That's not a bad thing in speaking of the long term and many successful marriages are based on this, even those not in the public eye that makes every little thing so much harder.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
But doesn't one's activities and what they do, in the way and manner thay handle things show a lot about who they are? I have always learned your actions reflect on you as a whole.
yes correct. the british public get their royal info mainly about the tabloids - pictures, very little text. unfortunately for kate, we have mainly seen stuff like clubbing, vacation, hello-cover with the failed sisterhood project, roller disco or most recently, the hello-cover with pippa - not exactly how people would define "discretion". because of the power of pictures and the resulting gossip, the fact of Kate not speaking - something that should work in favour for her - is basically being neutralized. people see something once or twice, the image sticks and it's almost impossible to get rid of an impression that might be completely wrong, especially if the person involved doesn't comment. pippa now publicly making her way into social circles will even worsen the fun loving social climber image that is in people's minds when thinking of kate.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Let me play devil's advocate: One really wonders why the media on scavenging facebook etc. only find pics of parties? There must be a market for pics showing the "unknown" Kate. Maybe we don't get this article because no such positive pics exist. No Catherine with her best friend's baby, no Catherine with cute little dogs, no Catherine out enjoying a nice walk and talking over the fence with her jolly old neighbor... Normal things. Things people can connect with.

so far we had a serious of claims by the Mail and others that William "does not like" Catherine to be in the media followed by her complete retirement from London, Shopping, Clubs etc. (which is William's world, BTW). Maybe it's true that William does not want to marry her yet, that he put her on the backburner but still she hopes, doing all she can to not worsen her situation through media reports.

Maybe William is even his mother's son on assigning blame to others. Like it's better to berate Catherine for her bad media than to accept that there's a reason for his own bad media. I don't know. But seeing his mother as I do, I wouldn't put it past her son to be a bit of a bully.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think that the royals are just used to getting their own way. They probably don´t even notice this as they have been like that from the day they were born. It is a bit like the child who had a heart operation and his mother asked him how he felt and he told her that the pain had gone. She was very surprised and said that he had never told her he had a pain and the answer was that he hadn´t known until it had gone.
Sad.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Let me play devil's advocate: One really wonders why the media on scavenging facebook etc. only find pics of parties? There must be a market for pics showing the "unknown" Kate. Maybe we don't get this article because no such positive pics exist. No Catherine with her best friend's baby, no Catherine with cute little dogs, no Catherine out enjoying a nice walk and talking over the fence with her jolly old neighbor... Normal things. Things people can connect with
It's a good point. I think that if Kate marries William there will be endless opportunities to see a more "real" Kate. Like Mary Donaldson, when she was only a royal girlfriend, all you saw was her riding her bike, walking down streets, carrying shopping bags, getting in and out of cars. Sometimes you saw her and Fred at friends' weddings, but again, it was just them leaving the church, getting in and out of the car, so nothing really "real" or substantial that gives you an idea as to character. But now, we see lots of warm and fuzzy things about Princess Mary: motherhood, compassion, generosity.
Quote:
so far we had a serious of claims by the Mail and others that William "does not like" Catherine to be in the media followed by her complete retirement from London, Shopping, Clubs etc. (which is William's world, BTW). Maybe it's true that William does not want to marry her yet, that he put her on the backburner but still she hopes, doing all she can to not worsen her situation through media reports.

Maybe William is even his mother's son on assigning blame to others. Like it's better to berate Catherine for her bad media than to accept that there's a reason for his own bad media. I don't know. But seeing his mother as I do, I wouldn't put it past her son to be a bit of a bully.
I see Diana as a manipulator. I believe she felt weak and insecure, so she manipulated people to feel powerful, strong, bigger than life. William seems spoiled, as we can expect, but I have not seen evidence of a manipulative character in him. He comes across as being confident in himself, even overly so, to the point of bullheadedness. I feel sure he dominates the relationship with Kate. His way or the highway. He just expects to be the dominant person in any friendship because he always has been. People expect him to set the terms of the relationship. That's the "royal" way, I guess.

Menarue, you alluded to that idea with your post, I think.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Majesty

These days, the "image" is all-important. But if Kate did speak publicly, she would get torn to shreds about that as well. People seem to either have a good feeling about this young woman, or they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
yes correct. the british public get their royal info mainly about the tabloids - pictures, very little text. unfortunately for kate, we have mainly seen stuff like clubbing, vacation, hello-cover with the failed sisterhood project, roller disco or most recently, the hello-cover with pippa - not exactly how people would define "discretion". because of the power of pictures and the resulting gossip, the fact of Kate not speaking - something that should work in favour for her - is basically being neutralized. people see something once or twice, the image sticks and it's almost impossible to get rid of an impression that might be completely wrong, especially if the person involved doesn't comment.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Let me play devil's advocate: One really wonders why the media on scavenging facebook etc. only find pics of parties? There must be a market for pics showing the "unknown" Kate. Maybe we don't get this article because no such positive pics exist. No Catherine with her best friend's baby, no Catherine with cute little dogs, no Catherine out enjoying a nice walk and talking over the fence with her jolly old neighbor... Normal things. Things people can connect with.
Jo, let me play advocate right back at you. I have a Facebook and a MySpace account (even though I'm pushing 40 and my day to day life is usually as dull as dishwater ). The only pictures you will find are of my friends and parties that we have held. I post them so that everyone who attended can enjoy them and relive the fun bits. My friends know what I look like with their babies and with my dogs and doing other normal things. The only things someone who does not know me will see if they look at my photos is that I have a jolly group of friends and that I look like Medusa when I sing karaoke. Definitely both true, but certainly such a small part of me as a whole person.

As far as Kate's "retirement", we haven't really seen any of William in the clubs lately either so perhaps they have retired together for calmer waters.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Nobility

William's busy doing good things though, and working. Kate's probably filing her nails.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

I've never seen a picture of Kate filing her nails. Do you have the link to it?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
That was exactly my point and the reason why I think William will stick out with her even if she isn't his great love.
Thats the impression I've always gotten. I think he loves her but isn't in love with her. But he thinks its too late to start all over again; meet the right one and know he can trust them and court for a few years before marrying. Too time consuming! Thats just my opinion. Totally guessing of course.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Nobility

I very much disagree. PW knos that many of his relatives found their future spouse later than his age now, for example his cousin Peter Phillips, his uncle Edward, even the Duke of Windsor, although he is not a great example. William isn't stuck to Kate anymore, all of the fun went out. They don't have an everlasting relationship.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I very much disagree. PW knos that many of his relatives found their future spouse later than his age now, for example his cousin Peter Phillips, his uncle Edward, even the Duke of Windsor, although he is not a great example. William isn't stuck to Kate anymore, all of the fun went out. They don't have an everlasting relationship.

To counter that he knows that his father found his true love at a young age and then didn't marry her, which lead to all sorts of unhappiness. His paternal grandmother made up her mind at 13 when his paternal grandfather was 18 (I am not suggesting that Philip recipricated that love at 18 but he was committed by 26 - William's current age).

The example of his immediate male ancestors is that by 26 they knew the love of their life - one married her and has been happy, the other didn't and has been through hell and back to get her.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Nobility

Well. William apparently didn't meet the love of his life at eighteen.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinacg View Post
Thats the impression I've always gotten. I think he loves her but isn't in love with her. But he thinks its too late to start all over again; meet the right one and know he can trust them and court for a few years before marrying. Too time consuming! Thats just my opinion. Totally guessing of course.
I never thought about it or put it in words but this is pretty much how I feel about him and Kate also. Maybe it means they will be a good team when married and share a connection that enables them to work well together for the monarchy. I think maybe this is something like what George V and Mary had, but I can't know, obviously, and I have read accounts that suggest they were very deeply in love. Yet they also had a very practical union and deep respect for each other and higher purposes.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Nobility

I don't think Kate would be very good for the monarchy. that might make the feelings even worse, that could eventually bring it down.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Majesty

I'm curious. Why exactly do you think she'd be "bad for the monarchy"?

Quote:
I don't think Kate would be very good for the monarchy. that might make the feelings even worse, that could eventually bring it down.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

What feelings might those be exactly?

Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press