The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is the question, is it all settled? If they are going to get engaged it will probably be announced near Christmas, if it is off will they say anything or just let the whole business fade away, because if Kate isn´t William´s girlfriend or fiancee or whatever she will be of no interest to newspapers or paps.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Majesty

I don't think so; not yet. We'll just have to wait and see. ]

Old 11-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

We´ll all have to be Waity Katies in fact.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Gentry

Who knows he may do as Prince Albert of Monaco, Not get married until later in life......
Old 11-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Majesty

Good thing that I'm in no rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
We´ll all have to be Waity Katies in fact.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Nobility

If they get married it won't be within the next few years. I don't think William wants to get married now. I don't think he even wants to marry Kate.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Good thing that I'm in no rush.
Give us all time to buy some really stunning outfits to wear to the wedding!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

This thread is being re-opened with the hope that we can be more on topic and less hostile. This is a reminder to posters to please respect the other posters opinions whether you agree with them or not.

Since there has been no real mention of Kate in the press of late, the temptation to over-speculate has run wild. Could we please try to keep this in check?

Also, please remember that this thread is for William and Kate so posts about Chelsy have been removed.

For the second time, you are reminded that this is not a thread about William and Jecca or William and any other girlfriend. These posts will be deleted.

kimebear
For the British Forum Moderators
Old 11-20-2008, 04:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
But it was always going to be like that for William...
Very well said. I think the choice was never going to be an easy one for somebody in William's position.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
If they get married it won't be within the next few years. I don't think William wants to get married now. I don't think he even wants to marry Kate.
Thats certainly a thought. I would love to hear your reaons for for your thinking on the topic.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
Exactly my thoughts! Why would he commit to the RAF for years if marriage was on his agenda? I might be wrong but from the moment William gets married the public and media will be on his back asking for a) children and b) the couple being engaged in royal duties. If William referred to his RAF stint as "being engaged in royal duties" this would mean for Kate having to live separate lives, with him being a soldier and her pursuing her own agenda and bring up kids (= the reality for many army wives) - I don't see this as a feasible solution.

No, I agree with blondie, the RAF stint means he's off the marriage market for the next 7 years and I especially agree with the second point, that he doesn't even want to marry Kate. The RAF engagement is handy for him as an excuse not having to commit and it is very unlikely that Waity Katy is still around in 7 years from now. At some point she will have to move on with her life, with or without William. As I said before, William can still marry in 10-15 years from now, no problem, and I believe that's exactly what he has in mind for his own future.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Exactly my thoughts! Why would he commit to the RAF for years if marriage was on his agenda? I might be wrong but from the moment William gets married the public and media will be on his back asking for a) children and b) the couple being engaged in royal duties. If William referred to his RAF stint as "being engaged in royal duties" this would mean for Kate having to live separate lives, with him being a soldier and her pursuing her own agenda and bring up kids (= the reality for many army wives) - I don't see this as a feasible solution.

No, I agree with blondie, the RAF stint means he's off the marriage market for the next 7 years and I especially agree with the second point, that he doesn't even want to marry Kate. The RAF engagement is handy for him as an excuse not having to commit and it is very unlikely that Waity Katy is still around in 7 years from now. At some point she will have to move on with her life, with or without William. As I said before, William can still marry in 10-15 years from now, no problem, and I believe that's exactly what he has in mind for his own future.
William's decision to commit to the SAR for the next few years is, IMO, based on a sense of duty to serve a longer time in the armed forces than the 2.5 years he had done so, and to perhaps, delay entering full time royal duties. There may have also been an element of strategic thinking involved here, in allowing brand Camilla to get a little better established before Will himself entered full time royal duties. Looking at his fathers life as King in waiting, it must be clear that Will needs to have a few causes close to hs heart that he can spend the next few decades pursuing, before he gets the top job himself. It takes a while to get your thinking developed so that you can identify what you feel passionately about, before you start to pursue it.

In relation to the topic of marriage, since when did marriage and a career in the forces become mutually exclusive? If anything, it is the perfect way for her to gently ease into royal life. There will no doubt be pressure from the press and public for them to have children fairly early in their marriage, and I am sure Kate (or whoever Will eventually marries) can manage being eased into royal life, bringing up children and being a forces wife in parallel. I don't think they will need to live apart for any length of time - not sure where he is going to be posted, but its probably going to be someplace in the UK itself and she can live in suitable accomodation near there. At that stage, they will pursue different "day jobs", but they will not be the first to day so. Most active royal couples follow completely different diaries for most of the week in any case.

Delaying marriage till his 40s is not a decision that somebody in Wills' position is going to take likely, and is certainly not one for which he is likely to get much support from his father or grand parents, or the royal household for that matter!
Old 11-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
William's decision to commit to the SAR for the next few years is, IMO, based on a sense of duty to serve a longer time in the armed forces than the 2.5 years he had done so, and to perhaps, delay entering full time royal duties. . . . .
Since both his grandmother and his father are still working "full time" for the firm I think this move makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
In relation to the topic of marriage, since when did marriage and a career in the forces become mutually exclusive?
It's a great way to ease into married "royal" life and still actually have a life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
Delaying marriage till his 40s is not a decision that somebody in Wills' position is going to take likely, and is certainly not one for which he is likely to get much support from his father or grand parents, or the royal household for that matter!
I can just see it now . . . . William puts marriage on the back burner until his 40's . . . . and everyone will be beying for a young, fertile bride! Deja vu anyone?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Aristocracy

Can I remind people of the situation Sarah Ferguson found herself in when she married Andrew while he was still very much in the Navy. She hardly got to see Andrew and she was forced to live away from Andrew and get on with raising the two girls and doing her duties as a member of the Royal Family. I agree with Duke Of Marmalade if Kate was to marry William she will be very much expected to do the samething as Sarah had to do. I cannot see either of them being able to live the quiet life out on some air base for the next few years as a married couple, and just suddenly come out of the air base with a couple of kids and the world finding out about them having children for the first time.

I think William has made it very clear he wants to have a career before marriage. I think Kate should move on IMO because I get the feeling this waiting around for him is for nothing. I think the more aristo ladies have been keeping clear of William until he is ready to start looking for a woman that he is ready to settle down with.

I don't think he has met the one yet. Prince Charles said in his recent interview that he hopes his two sons get into gardening when they finally met that special someone.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
In relation to the topic of marriage, since when did marriage and a career in the forces become mutually exclusive? ... can manage being eased into royal life, bringing up children and being a forces wife in parallel. I don't think they will need to live apart for any length of time - not sure where he is going to be posted, but its probably going to be someplace in the UK itself and she can live in suitable accomodation near there.
i would wholeheartly agree if we were talking about Harry. no way such an arrangement would be possible for william and his future wife, especially not if her name is kate with the media history she's bringing along. IMO if william marries he'll be full time into duties, same goes for his wife and kids will be on the agenda from day one. at least for me his commitment towards the RAF clearly shows that doesn't want to find himself in such a scenario for the next years.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
Can I remind people of the situation Sarah Ferguson found herself in when she married Andrew while he was still very much in the Navy...
The situation with Andrew and Sarah was quite different. Andrew was a helicopter pilot in the navy, and was often away for very extended periods on naval exercises, by the very nature of naval exercises. The role at the SAR is not likely to involve Wills being away for a majority of the time. I will not say much more on this as I do not know the SAR environment very well.

The other point of difference is that Wills, as the future King, will only see limited service and will really not expected to serve on the front line. That too, will impact the type of postings he gets. This was not a constraint for Andrew, and he saw active service in the Falklands conflict (albeit before he was married to Sarah).

Kate (if she is the one) will be required to carry out royal engagements from the beginning, and bring up any children they may have - thats just life, and thats what most working women do. She may be fortunate enough to tailor her engagements so that she does not have to be away from Wills or their children for any length of time. Lets not forget that even after joining the RAF, Wills will continue to carry out a certain number of public engagements a year, just as he has in recen years. No doubt his wife's diary will be structured to allow them to do joint engagements in those times.

Going back to Andrew and Sarah, Andrew being away was certainly not the only factor in the break down of their marriage.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
i would wholeheartly agree if we were talking about Harry. no way such an arrangement would be possible for william and his future wife, especially not if her name is kate with the media history she's bringing along. IMO if william marries he'll be full time into duties, same goes for his wife and kids will be on the agenda from day one. at least for me his commitment towards the RAF clearly shows that doesn't want to find himself in such a scenario for the next years.
I am still struggling to see the link you are suggesting between Wills marrying and entering royal duties full time. He will continue to do a certain number of public engagements a year, and Kate will work full time. I fully agree there will be a lot of media attention, and children will have to be on the agenda fairly early on - which I think is anther reason Wills wants to delay getting married. Most people these days at age 26 are just not ready to start thinking about having children.

As regards Kate's relationship with the media, my opinion is that the negative stories in the last 6-12 months are really because there is very little the press has on her. They have sold their share of newspapers initially telling the world how lovely she is. That story has run its course and they have found little else to talk about since. They have probably not been able to get much more from her friends and the larger Middleton clan, so in a bid to sell more newspapers, they have been forced to go negative on Kate. If she marries Wills, they will retreat for some time, and then wait on judgement on her performance as a working royal.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

You know I have a sneaking suspicion that following the very public breakdown of his parents' marriage William may simply never marry.

I think, unless he really finds 'the one', who may be Kate or not, then he shouldn't be pressured by the public and the press to marry just because he is expected to do so. His father was, to a large extent, and we all know how that worked out.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
Can I remind people of the situation Sarah Ferguson found herself in when she married Andrew while he was still very much in the Navy. She hardly got to see Andrew and she was forced to live away from Andrew and get on with raising the two girls and doing her duties as a member of the Royal Family.
Shock, horror, RAF spouses are allowed to live on base or in a private hiring. As he will be a member of Search and Rescue, he will have a choice of 5 bases and it is unlikely he will be away more than the helicopter has fuel for.
Quote:
I cannot see either of them being able to live the quiet life out on some air base for the next few years as a married couple, and just suddenly come out of the air base with a couple of kids and the world finding out about them having children for the first time.
They are allowed off the base for an hour or two each week! I really can't see your point, members of the RAF have 'normal' lives on and off base, they are not prisoners.
Quote:
I think William has made it very clear he wants to have a career before marriage. I think Kate should move on IMO because I get the feeling this waiting around for him is for nothing. I think the more aristo ladies have been keeping clear of William until he is ready to start looking for a woman that he is ready to settle down with.
I think the more aristocratic ladies have better things to do with their lives than sit around hoping William will notice them sooner or later!
Quote:
I don't think he has met the one yet. Prince Charles said in his recent interview that he hopes his two sons get into gardening when they finally met that special someone.
He did, well I'll wish him the best of luck there then, I thought he expressed the hope that they would become involved in the Princes Trust.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The situation with Andrew and Sarah was quite different...
The point I was making is that she will be put under the same sort of pressure that Sarah was under and what you have said is pretty much what I meant.

Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press