The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

People thought that the Royal Family pushed ahead the wedding of Charles and Diana because the press was hounding her so badly. She did have to quit her job at the kindergarten although it was only 2 or 3 days a week.

I think in this case, they would not rush to get William married to Kate just because of the press.

But it will be interesting to see what if anything they will do regarding her press attention.

At some point, you have to wonder whether any woman would be willing to put up with the press scrutiny and intrusions that a girlfriend of William gets and so if he breaks up with Kate, its hard to imagine someone else being willing to take a chance on him, crown or no crown.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed. There seem to be enough people out there who "hate" her without even really knowing her that it seems possible that she might have received threats already from the lunatic fringe, let alone threats from domestic and foreign terrorists that police would be in a position to know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
The media wrote enough embarrassing and negative things about her that a mentally ill person might start to stalk her at any given moment or do even worse. Plus she might be appearing to be a much easier target for terrorists than any of the Royals.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Agreed. There seem to be enough people out there who "hate" her without even really knowing her that it seems possible that she might have received threats already from the lunatic fringe, let alone threats from domestic and foreign terrorists that police would be in a position to know about.
What on earth would be gained by threatening the girl friend of a member of the royal family? I do think this is an exaggeration. Also this "hate" business is an exaggeration, people who don´t know her from Adam or Eve can´t hate her. There are lots of people who don´t think she is a suitable candidate for Queen of England but that is a hugely different story that doesn´t mean they hate her it just means that they would like to continue to think of the royal family as being just that, royal, and although these days many royal families have members marrying commoners the British royal family has always seemed a little different. As Bagehot said "a family on the throne...brings down the pride of sovereignty to the level of petty life".
Old 09-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I don't know, Menarue ... there are some places on the 'net where some posters' hatred of Kate is pretty fervent. They really do discuss her and the Middleton family as if they knew them personally. I'd be unnerved if I were Kate.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Royal Highness

i don't think the ppo's are used to deter the photographers. they are there to protect the life of the principal and since having your picture taken is part and parcel of catherine's life at the moment, my guess would be that(if the story is true) there must have been some kind of threat.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I agree. However I do not think anyone has more protection that the Queen herself. Still, I remember her chasing after William at Sarah & Andrew's wedding. When their carriage was pulling away after the reception at Buckingham Palace. P William started to run after them and Queen in a hat and carrying her handbag ran after him like a mad woman. Her insticts told her to protect that little boy from harm. She did not stand still waiting for the body guards to do their job.
There is a fine line those who love will never go over for anyone's sake, much less their security detail.
Yeah, it was Sarah & Andrew's wedding but I don't think it was William, it was a pageboy.

But you're right, the Queen sure ran fast!
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Commoner

I believe William should marry Kate Middleton at his earliest convenience and that they should live at Buckingham Palace to continue the work of the Queen.

Perhpas Charles will not be King but you may hand it all over to William...............I hope I have not offended anyone but these are my current thoughts.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Yeah, it was Sarah & Andrew's wedding but I don't think it was William, it was a pageboy.

Wasn't William a pageboy in that wedding? Or was it a different one who made a break for it?

HM The Queen
Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

At first I thought it was a prince but later I read it was another pageboy. Pity I can't find the video on Youtube. Its quite cute.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

If you do find the video, ysbel, let us know -- it sounds adorable!

HM The Queen
Old 09-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post

I could swear it was William. I know we had to wake up too early in the US to watch the wedding but by then I had a few coffees.....Can anyone help?? I can never forget the Queen's reaction. It was so human, unlike the usual facade.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Nobility

It was William
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottestreasures View Post
It was William
Thank you Charlotte. Do you have a connection to a video of the scene?? It was funny and heartwarming at the same time.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Well it was just coincidence that when the subject of Prince Charles paying Camilla´s expenses was due to come up the wedding plans were made public straight after. OK I believe in coincidences.
I think he did exactly what he wanted to do and I think he did the right thing. Camilla definitely is the right person for him. Who said, by the way, he was paying for Camilla´s security from his private funds? What is being said now is that Prince William and Prince Charles will be paying for Kate Middleton´s security from private funds..... I thought that Camilla´s security was the same as Prince Charles´s I won´t argue about it as I am not sure, but that is what was said at the time.
> The accounts for the Duchy of Cornwall and the annual review of the Prince of Wales' household indicated that certain of the costs associated with CPB (as she was then) were met by the Duchy (i.e., the personal income of the PoW)
> Camilla's security now is the same as the PoW and has been since they were engaged. This is normal practice for members of the royal family, and is not funded by the Duchy of Cornwall but directly by the government
> "What is being said now is that Prince William and Prince Charles will be paying for Kate Middleton´s security from private funds" - lets be clear here that this is not an official statement of fact (or something highlighted in the annual review of the PoW's household), merely conjecture on the part of one newspaper or wherever the story may have originated. We don't know for a fact if Kate is going to get security at this stage and if so, who will pay for it.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Well it was just coincidence that when the subject of Prince Charles paying Camilla´s expenses was due to come up the wedding plans were made public straight after. OK I believe in coincidences.
I think he did exactly what he wanted to do and I think he did the right thing. Camilla definitely is the right person for him. Who said, by the way, he was paying for Camilla´s security from his private funds? What is being said now is that Prince William and Prince Charles will be paying for Kate Middleton´s security from private funds..... I thought that Camilla´s security was the same as Prince Charles´s I won´t argue about it as I am not sure, but that is what was said at the time.
Before they were married Charles paid for a husband and wife protection team for Camilla. His accounts from the Duchy of Cornwall are public and this expense was listed. Charles receives no money from the state, neither does William, they only have private funds. Before Camilla was a royal she was protected not by Protection Officers who are police officers paid by the state, but by retired police officers who worked as private protection agents.
There was no coincidence in relation to Charles and Camilla's timing of their marriage and criticism. Here's the relevant timeline.

In November 2004, Charles and Camilla were both invited to a large society wedding between Lady Tamara Grosvenor ( daughter of UK's richess landlord the Duke of Westminster) and Edward van Cutsem ( Charles's godson) Also due to be present were the Queen and the DoE. Since QEII and the DoE were going to be present, guests would be seated according to protocol which meant that Charles and Camilla wouldn't be able to sit together. This incident pushed Charles into deciding he and Camilla should be married and got his staff to sort through the various issues. Hence the statements, "will be known as the Duchess of Cornwall' "is intended to be called the Princess Consort" Christmas 2004 he discussed getting married with his sons, they gave his support. Over New Year 2005 the official engagement photo was taken at Birkhall ( later used on postage stamps) QEII gave Charles historic ring belonging to QM for engagement ring.The engagement announcement was planned for Valentines Day 2005 and wedding in April.
Mid January 2005 came the newspaper stories about what Charles was spending on Camilla ( all private income, none came from the government) When the stories appeared the wedding preparations had already begun, Charles and Camilla were privately engaged. Their official announcement was advanced by a week as the media found out and were going to publish so they got in first and made the announcement.
The criticism stories had no bearing on Charles's decision to marry Camilla, that decision had already been made and plans were already advanced when those stories appeared.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

I didn´t say he decided to marry because of the newspaper stories and pressure about his expenses, I said that he decided to advance his announcement of his plans in face of the growing criticism, and that is what he did.
I believe that it was the publication of the Duchy of Cornwall expenses that drew attention to the fact that he was spending a lot of money on his not yet wife.
It may be of no one´s business but his own how he spends his private funds but in times when people are having to tighten their belts it is bound to draw attention if vast amounts are being spent. Now that Camilla, and I am very glad about this, is his wife he can spend as much money he likes on her and no one will say a word.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I didn´t say he decided to marry because of the newspaper stories and pressure about his expenses, I said that he decided to advance his announcement of his plans in face of the growing criticism, and that is what he did.
I believe that it was the publication of the Duchy of Cornwall expenses that drew attention to the fact that he was spending a lot of money on his not yet wife.
It may be of no one´s business but his own how he spends his private funds but in times when people are having to tighten their belts it is bound to draw attention if vast amounts are being spent. Now that Camilla, and I am very glad about this, is his wife he can spend as much money he likes on her and no one will say a word.
I think both Charlotte1 and I have pointed out (in our respective, independent opinions!) that the wedding was not advanced because of press criticism about expenses - the immediate impetus was reported to have been the Westmninister wedding!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
But he didn't! The criticism was in January, the engagement announcement was planned for Valentine's Day. Since the engagement photo was taken over New Year's then the plans were well advanced before there was any newspaper criticism. The only thing that changed was that a tabloid got hold of the information about the engagement a week before Valentine's Day and was going to publish in their next edition. Charles and Camilla that night were hosting a Princes Trust fund raiser at Windsor Castle so the engagement was announced then and there. Camilla already had the ring. The criticism ( which wasn't growing) only lasted an edition of the newspapers, by the time the engagement was announced it had already become old news, early February papers had no critical news of Charles's expenditure in relation to Camilla.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am sorry but I wish you would read what I said. He announced it before he had planned, because of growing criticism. What I said had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with his plans to marry Camilla, he probably had these from ages ago, and like any other royal event it was planned long before. What he did in face of criticism, and the invitations to the Duke of Westminster Wedding although not voiced was one too, was give out the announcement before schedule.....nothing more.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I am sorry but I wish you would read what I said. He announced it before he had planned, because of growing criticism. What I said had nothing, absolutely nothing to do with his plans to marry Camilla, he probably had these from ages ago, and like any other royal event it was planned long before. What he did in face of criticism, and the invitations to the Duke of Westminster Wedding although not voiced was one too, was give out the announcement before schedule.....nothing more.
Please reread what I have written, the criticism about how much money Charles was spending on Camilla was in the newspapers in January 2005, the wedding plans were put into place November 2004! Check the newspaper archives of the British papers. There was no criticism of how much money he was spending in relation to Camilla earlier in 2004, again check the newspaper archives.
Charles was not forced to announce his wedding plans early because of criticism, he had already put them into place before the criticism appeared in the public arena.

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press