The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince William and Prince Harry

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Aristocracy

Duke of Marmalade - your are right. Oops!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe it's just me but I don't think that just cause he's second in line he shouldn't get a big wedding,bearing in mind for me I'm talking about if the wedding takes place in the next few years. Again it's just me, but then again I'm a bit bias cause I've always pictured William having a big wedding.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Maybe it's just me but I don't think that just cause he's second in line he shouldn't get a big wedding,bearing in mind for me I'm talking about if the wedding takes place in the next few years. Again it's just me, but then again I'm a bit bias cause I've always pictured William having a big wedding.

Totally agree - lets recall 1986 when Prince Andrew married i mean it wasnt exactly low-key and he was 4th inline to the throne - he had Westmintser Abbey. Also 1960 when Princess Margaret married in the Abbey as well

Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Royal Highness

Eventhough Prince Andrew was 4th in line, he was the second adult male. William was barely old enough to pull of page duty and Harry was too young to attend the church part. Also, there were a lot more interest in Andrew because of his service during the Falkland War as well as player image.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

But I don`t get what Andrew being the second adult male has to do with why he got a fairly large service. Not sure alot about the Falkland war so I can`t really comment on that.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

With Andrew being the second son, there was the possibility that he might be regent to a very young King William if Prince Charles didn't succeed his mother. Also, he became the Duke of York upon his marriage, which is a grand old Royal title. Perhaps Edward would have had a grander wedding had it not been for the divorces of the 90s and his and Sophie's own desire for a smaller wedding. Even Anne, who had virtually no chance of becoming monarch, had a grand wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
But I don`t get what Andrew being the second adult male has to do with why he got a fairly large service. Not sure alot about the Falkland war so I can`t really comment on that.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh, I kinda get it so Andrew would have sorta assisted William had he been King at that time when he was still young, I'm just trying to figure out what regent is that's the only part I'm confused by.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Royal Highness

If Prince Charles had succeeded the throne and then died or incapacitated before William turned 18, a regent would have been appointed as a guardian because the presumptive King William would have been a minor.

It's similar to any guardianship required for minors to inherit in any ordinary situation.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Oh I understand now thank you^
Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Serene Highness

So that just reinforces the idea that if Andrew, as possible regent for a future king, got a very large pomp and circumstance wedding, William as a future king would definitely get one, IMO.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think we can judge William/Kate by how they are in public. I'm sure he was trained to act in a dignified manner. Plus given how so much of his life is in front of the cameras maybe there are some things that William would like to keep private.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
Plus given how so much of his life is in front of the cameras maybe there are some things that William would like to keep private.
I agree. I'd add one thing, though: I think it's more than his own experience with the media and photographers that have made William cherish privacy so much. I'm sure that the fiery and divisive collapse of his parents' marriage in front of the entire world, along with the media's constant spotlight on his mother, also shaped his relationship with the press.

That's part of the reason that I think William will take his sweet time letting the world into his private relationship with Kate. The two are feeling some media heat now, but it's nothing compared to the firestorm that will come at the pair of them once they announce their engagement and essentially make their private lives public property.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Royal Highness

My take is if they do get married, it will be a low key affair similar to Charles and Camilla's wedding. I think St George's Chapel will be a great location, it limits the size of the crowd and less of the travel to the castle, and better control of media coverage. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a private service a la Princess Royal's second marriage, and pass out an official photo or two later. That way, there will be an added PR coup of how the monarchy, being sensible and sensitive to the economy, has saved public funding from an extravagent wedding.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
So that just reinforces the idea that if Andrew, as possible regent for a future king, got a very large pomp and circumstance wedding, William as a future king would definitely get one, IMO.
One reason for the large weddings could be that Anne and Andrew were the children of the monarch. Margaret was the sister which is a closer-in-blood relationship to the Queen than William who is the grandchild.

I think its been awhile since a royal grandchild had a wedding. Edward VII, George V, and George V all died before their grandchildren were old enough to marry.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
One reason for the large weddings could be that Anne and Andrew were the children of the monarch. Margaret was the sister which is a closer-in-blood relationship to the Queen than William who is the grandchild.

I think its been awhile since a royal grandchild had a wedding. Edward VII, George V, and George V all died before their grandchildren were old enough to marry.

But even the Weddings of the Duke of Kent and his sister Alexandra where large affairs too in the early 60's.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 09-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, William is the monarch's grandchild but, barring any tragic occurances, he is going to be the monarch himself someday. IMO that puts him in a decidedly different category of importance than just plain grandchild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post

Old 09-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Yes, William is the monarch's grandchild but, barring any tragic occurances, he is going to be the monarch himself someday. IMO that puts him in a decidedly different category of importance than just plain grandchild.
I agree with you kimebear. I'm just thinking that its been a long time since the grandchild/eventual heir of a monarch has been married in the grandparent's lifetime and so the Royal Family may have more leeway in how they interpret the need for the wedding's size.

They could interpret it as William being the eventual heir and needing a large wedding. Or they could interpret it as William being the eventual heir but not right now and deem a smaller wedding is more appropriate.

At any rate, I don't think they're going to allow William to elope and I think the wedding of any size will have to have the dignity and pomp of a royal wedding even if they decide to cut down on the grandeur.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness

not to get off track but we saw what happens when a couple is forced to "sell" their nuptials in order to pull off a wedding grand enough for a royal and look how far he is down the line of succession he is. i'm sure williams wedding will be as grand or more than his fathers first.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But even the Weddings of the Duke of Kent and his sister Alexandra where large affairs too in the early 60's.
On the other hand, the wedding of Prince Richard of Gloucester wasn't, although I'm not sure he'd have been allowed to get away with that quiet country wedding if he'd been the heir to the dukedom at the time. But then the Gloucesters have always been more low-key than the Kents.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

It will be interesting to see how a royal wedding might be handled should William and Kate get married while the world economy is still in the pits. I can definitely understand those who say that it might send the wrong signal to have a major show of pomp and glamour when so many are struggling, but it also seems like a royal wedding of the magnitude that I think William's will be might be able to stimulate the British economy somewhat. Tourism, souvenirs, world attention, etc.

Maybe the Queen and Prince Philip's wedding might be a good model to follow? They had a grand London wedding, but it was toned down somewhat because Britain was still strugging in the aftermath of WWII. I know some criticized Elizabeth's dress, but overall, I've never read reports that the wedding as a whole was criticized because of the economic climate.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press