The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1021  
Old 09-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Jo of Palatine's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 3,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Jo, I would never want to see William and Kate in a romantic scene in public - just not done you know! I just can´t see the eye contact and body language of people in love, but I don´t think that because the public likes a royal wedding, or wouldn´t it be romantic to see the young couple married that they should go up the aisle.
It is all very well saying she would be a good wife for William, we just don´t know and I think the Queen, whose opinion he has been brought up to respect, and whose consent is necessary for any royal marriage is going to make all the difference.
It is a matter of wait and see but my opinion is that if he is not going to marry her it would be kinder to break it off now.
I see your point but I see the eye contact and the touching, especially on pictures when he is a bit tipsy and so is not as controlled as he is normally.
Okay, there were these pics when he seemed to be interested in other women but I have seen my first husband behave like that and he really loved me and nobody else but me and so it didn't hurt me, as I put it down to male instincts...

But if he loves Catherine or not depends I think if he is able to love at all - feel and give the kind of love women crave but not all men can deliver. i mean, William is a member of the cold-fishy clan Windsor and his mother - well, if she loved somebody at all for real, it was herself. So maybe William is not able to really feel a love that convinces you.

And I guess if he has found in Catherine the woman who is able to nurture him, then she will stick to him through better and worse. That is not everybody's romantic ideal but it's a constellation which is not very uncommon. There are women who strive on being the giver in a relationship and there are men who are prudent enough to recognise this characteristic and both together build sucessfully a family.

IMHO Camilla and Charles are a good example here - Camilla had to need a very good reason why she lived through years of public hostility when the chance was close to nil that she could "reap" a legitimate place at Charles' side. Still she was there for him, through better and worse, even though she could have had a lot of other chances after her divorce, for she has been of a good family, well-connected, had proven her reliability and always had that form of sex appeal that doesn't die with aging but is rather increasing. Still, she chose Charles and stick to him because I think in him she found the troubled soul she wanted to nurse and was rewarded by his love in return. If it was only for Charles, she needed never to have a moment's anguish about her looks, her style, herself. I think she dresses for him and because of his position, but for him she will be beauty incarnate because that's the beauty of his deepest love.

Back to William: the danger of such a "comfortable" relationship is always that the blaze of love strikes and one of the two falls for somebody else and acts on instinct, destroying all in the wake of this Amour Fou. Sorry, but I don't see this happening to William. He will never, ever compromise his position, family, the monarchy because he waits for an Amour Fou (Pre-marriage) or gives in after being married. Even if he is his parent's son.
__________________

__________________
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
  #1022  
Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Well one thing(and perhaps a lot more than this) I agree with you completely about is that Camilla really loves Prince Charles and will stick by him thick and thin, in fact she already has.
I am not so sure that the BRF are that coldfishy, I think that from a very early age they have been trained, or trained themselves not to show any emotion in public.
I also agree that Prince William will never compromise his position or the monarchy, and that is where my doubt begins about this romance.
__________________

__________________
  #1023  
Old 09-17-2008, 08:58 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
They don't have to put themselves on Kate's side; they could just point out (with or without the crocodile tears) how Kate is perceived by the royals as being less worthy of a proper ceremony than Diana. And I'm afraid that the recession will be another of those things where whatever they do is wrong - an elaborate wedding will be seen to be insulting toward the poor struggling people, but a low-key event will just be an excuse for the royals to insult Kate. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that on current forum the tabloids will find a way to attack both the royal family and Kate regardless of what they decide to do.
Yes, Elspeth, I suppose that's possible. I'm thinking though that the papers main form of attack is finding someone's side to take so they can build up some righteous indignation.

If they decide to attack both the Royal Family and Kate, I think they'd have to find someone or something to act enraged about so that they can whip up public opinion. The Royal Family insulting Kate doesn't look like fertile ground for people to get enraged if public opinion is rather wishy-washy on both of them.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1024  
Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I really see the only possibel place to hold a weddding is Westminster Abbey - if you had it a St George's Chapel it would be compared to Peter Phillips and i mean no offence to him as he is a grandson of the Queen but William is a really important royal and public figure and they will want as many to see the happy couple in the streets and on the balcony as possible - having it at Windsor just doesnt allow this

William and Harry should have their wedding at Westminster Abbey followed by the traditional balcony appearance but the other grandchildren including Beatrice and Eugenie should have it at St Georges
I actually prefer St. George's Chapel over Westminster Abbey. The interior of the church has a good combination of grandeur and intimacy; whereas Westminster Abbey has more the grandeur than the intimacy. Also Westminster Abbey is in the middle of London with a bunch of high rises around and so the processions to Westminster Abbey lack a certain something. Whereas the processions to St. George's Chapel are breathtaking.

Westminster though does have more intimacy than St. Paul's. I thought St. Paul's was a very cold and uninviting place to have a wedding.

I think not having a balcony scene would definitely look like an insult to Kate. Only the people who only started to follow royals because of Diana would compare William and Kate on the balcony to Diana and Charles but those of us who followed royals before saw Anne and Mark Phillips on the balcony and saw archive footage of the Queen and Prince Philip on the balcony, as well as the Duke and Duchess of York (George VI and Queen Mother Elizabeth) so for a lot of people the balcony scenes are not just imprinted in our minds as a Charles and Diana thing.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1025  
Old 09-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
Surely the balcony appearances are a royal tradition. In fact I read that the balcony was built precisely for these royal occasions, so I doubt that it would be possible for any royal bride not to appear for the people to see and admire. I think there would be complaints from all quarters if they missed out on this tradition.
__________________
  #1026  
Old 09-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamrgt View Post
However, I would be really cautious with the source quoting Harry; I seriously doubt Harry would speak about his brother's love life, or indeed about any family member to a complete stranger in a bar. I just don't imagine that. Most probably, the story was invented to sell papers.
As for the camera... Well, no one has seen the pictures, so you can't really say what was on it.
ITA. I think it's highly unlikely that Harry would ever discuss his own or William's private life in such a reckless and public fashion.
__________________
Please give whatever you can to the DEC's Pakistan Floods Appeal. Millions of lives are at risk
http://www.dec.org.uk/index.html
  #1027  
Old 09-17-2008, 12:00 PM
avrilo's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mexico city, Mexico
Posts: 680
Will's Career Move A Relationship Killer?, Where Does Prince William's Decision To Become A Search And Rescue Pilot, Leave Kate Middleton? - CBS News

This aired today on CBS
__________________
  #1028  
Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Whereas the processions to St. George's Chapel are breathtaking
The problem with that is that there wouldn't be as many places for the public to watch. They'd have to throw the masses a bone and send everyone out into town at least once.

Personally, I prefer St. Paul's. It has the added benefit of allowing most of the guests to at least see a little bit of the ceremony, as opposed to St. George's and Westminster where it would be hidden away in the quire.
__________________
  #1029  
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Duchess's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: xx, Canada
Posts: 1,648
i think, regardless of the economic situation if and when there is a wedding, it will be a very big and grand affair. i don't think that people want to see a scaled back royal wedding - they want the festivities and the celebration to help them forget all the negative things that are happening. if it were scaled back HM would be accused of being cheap. of course there will be some that will complain about the expense but i think on the whole, people want a big elaborate wedding.
__________________
Duchess
  #1030  
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
ITA. I think it's highly unlikely that Harry would ever discuss his own or William's private life in such a reckless and public fashion.
It may have slipped, I've done it tons of times, but what's weirder is they don't name the lady's name. I really hate when they do that. Anyways back to William, I guess no one can really tell William's intentions and if he's really in love with Kate but I don't consider William stupid, so if he didn't love her I don't see why he'd be with her especially for so long.
__________________
  #1031  
Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Yes, Elspeth, I suppose that's possible. I'm thinking though that the papers main form of attack is finding someone's side to take so they can build up some righteous indignation.

If they decide to attack both the Royal Family and Kate, I think they'd have to find someone or something to act enraged about so that they can whip up public opinion. The Royal Family insulting Kate doesn't look like fertile ground for people to get enraged if public opinion is rather wishy-washy on both of them.
Poor, wronged, perfect Diana....
__________________
  #1032  
Old 09-17-2008, 11:06 PM
pinkie40's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 423
Westminster Abbey is gloomy. It's more of a tomb and funeral venue, imo, than glorious, roomy, bright St. Paul's. I also would like to add I get a good laugh reading about Kate's somewhat cheeky siblings. Nowhere near as naughty as Princess Margaret (imo) was so we are good to go in that department.
__________________
  #1033  
Old 09-18-2008, 02:33 AM
Menarue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cascais, Portugal
Posts: 2,155
I remember Princess Margaret being criticized for dancing the can can. Later on in life as a woman who had been married for some years she did have some scandal attached but I can´t remember anything about Princess Margaret as a young girl carrying on like, what you call Kate´s cheeky siblings, but other people may describe this behaviour as other than cheeky.
There is something else to remember, Princess Margaret was a royal princess, daughter of a king and a long line of royalty, she had that behind her whereas someone who is not of such an illustrious line may attract more attention especially when a member of their family is hoping to be accepted into the BRF.
__________________
  #1034  
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Poor, wronged, perfect Diana....
Well in that case, don't you think the papers would have much more to be enraged by if the Royals staged a lavish wedding for Kate?

They'd be more apt to compare every single detail to Diana's wedding which definitely was extravagant and point out that its not as good as Diana's and that the large wedding is just another way that the Royal Family is trying to push memory of Diana out of the picture and start fresh with a new, very different princess because from the very look of it, Kate, if she becomes princess, is going to be a very different princess than Diana.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1035  
Old 09-18-2008, 06:55 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Westminster Abbey is gloomy. It's more of a tomb and funeral venue, imo, than glorious, roomy, bright St. Paul's. I also would like to add I get a good laugh reading about Kate's somewhat cheeky siblings. Nowhere near as naughty as Princess Margaret (imo) was so we are good to go in that department.
I attended an evensong in Westminster Abbey and it was quite intimate and enchanting, no gloomy thoughts there. I still prefer St. George's Chapel though because its more light and airy.

St. Pauls is too cold and inhuman, its like being married in the Capitol's rotunda. Its more of a theatre than a church IMO and is built for spectacles. If the Royal Family want to stage a big show without any of the tender emotion that is evoked by the exchange of wedding vows, then they can.

I certainly hope, however, that when William gets married, he sees his wedding as more than just a really, big show with which to please the masses and that's what a wedding in St. Paul's reminds me of.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #1036  
Old 09-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Well in that case, don't you think the papers would have much more to be enraged by if the Royals staged a lavish wedding for Kate?

They'd be more apt to compare every single detail to Diana's wedding which definitely was extravagant and point out that its not as good as Diana's and that the large wedding is just another way that the Royal Family is trying to push memory of Diana out of the picture and start fresh with a new, very different princess because from the very look of it, Kate, if she becomes princess, is going to be a very different princess than Diana.
Well, you know some of these tabloids; they'll manage to do it regardless of the facts they're presented with. It depends whether they're just trying to make Kate look inferior to Diana or whether the idea is to have another swipe at the Queen and royalty in general. I think they'll have a bit of a job, though, unless they've been very successful in making people cynical in the meantime, because people do tend to like royal weddings.
__________________
  #1037  
Old 09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
mrsbugman's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, United States
Posts: 217
Well it would have to be grand because of who William is.
__________________
  #1038  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
Well it would have to be grand because of who William is.
At the moment he is only the second in line to the throne therefore a more "low key" wedding could be justified IMO. Of course there would be massive speculation by those who are disappointed, ie blaming the economy, Kate's social background etc. From the moment William becomes the CP I don't think anything could justify a low key wedding. A massive media event simply comes with William's then-status and the status of the BRF.
__________________
  #1039  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
ITA. I think it's highly unlikely that Harry would ever discuss his own or William's private life in such a reckless and public fashion.
Oh My, we are in perfect agreement again.
__________________
  #1040  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie40 View Post
Westminster Abbey is gloomy. It's more of a tomb and funeral venue, imo, than glorious, roomy, bright St. Paul's.
Perhaps one of the Welsh Cathedrals, as his father is Prince of Wales and this might be a title William will hold in the future!
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009 Warren Prince Harry and Prince William 2017 01-01-2010 11:18 AM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]