The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Royal Highness

I must admit, everytime I log onto TRF, I am hoping, really hoping to see an anouncement of their engagment

Old 09-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

as am I Auntie. wonder if he will end up with her after all?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I just think that she wonīt fit in with the royal family.
Fair enough...

Quote:
That said I have to admit that she reminds me of someone I knew (in fact she is almost her double) who I disliked intensely
Now that's unfortunate, M...haha. What a thorn in one's side.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I must admit, everytime I log onto TRF, I am hoping, really hoping to see an anouncement of their engagment
I'm exactly like that too!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I don't think it'll matter to a lot of people, but there are a couple of potential pitfalls that I can foresee. One is that there are still quite a few people around who are ready to compare just about anything with Diana and find it inferior by comparison, so a low-key wedding will be a great excuse to claim that the royals are trying to keep Kate in the background because she's not as good as Diana (or, alternatively, that they're trying to keep her in the background so that the wicked evil Camilla gets centre stage since that's the only way she'll ever get it and all that creative stuff). The other is that the tabloid press will be very quick to jump on any perceived slight to Kate and make mountains out of any little molehills because controversy sells newspapers - especially if there really is an anti-monarchy campaign underfoot at any of these tabloids.
I wonder how the tabloids will be able with a straight face to protest offense at any slight of Kate when they've been so critical of her lately. I know that tabloids have never been one to let the truth get in the way of selling papers but if they suddenly look like they're in Kate's corner, they might look suspicious.

The main argument I see against a big wedding in the near future would be the fact that the rest of the economy (and indeed the world) looks like its heading into a recession. An over-the-top gala wedding could give the impression of excess waste and disdain for the real economic troubles of others when everyone else is tightening their belts.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 09-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Nobility

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I think it's about time these two make known their intentions.

I don't see his career as an excuse, myself. It's widely known what he wishes to do in this regard and his constitutional studies are a certainty.

I also don't think 'waiting' as long as his father necessarily the right choice to make. His got the woman, they've dated for some time (a certain hiatus "excused") and she's invited to most 'Wales' related events anyway. Also, was she not in Germany with William for a wedding this past week?

I say cut the crap and give the las a ring, get hicthed, acquire a dukedom and let the masses rejoice...
PlEASE LET them warm each others feet a while longer simply dating an heir brings so many expectations, being engaged to one, more, and marrying one god forbid places the weight of a nation on your shoulders. Leave the poor beggars in peace in this regard to make their own decixions
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

They don't have to put themselves on Kate's side; they could just point out (with or without the crocodile tears) how Kate is perceived by the royals as being less worthy of a proper ceremony than Diana. And I'm afraid that the recession will be another of those things where whatever they do is wrong - an elaborate wedding will be seen to be insulting toward the poor struggling people, but a low-key event will just be an excuse for the royals to insult Kate. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that on current forum the tabloids will find a way to attack both the royal family and Kate regardless of what they decide to do.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
william comes across as very reserved and not given to public displays of affection...he seems to take after his father this way, and completely unlike his mother who was very tactile but who knows what he's like in private.
With you on that IMO he is well insipid and cold but I am sure in real life he must be different.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
They don't have to put themselves on Kate's side; they could just point out (with or without the crocodile tears) how Kate is perceived by the royals as being less worthy of a proper ceremony than Diana. And I'm afraid that the recession will be another of those things where whatever they do is wrong - an elaborate wedding will be seen to be insulting toward the poor struggling people, but a low-key event will just be an excuse for the royals to insult Kate. I hope I'm wrong, but I think that on current forum the tabloids will find a way to attack both the royal family and Kate regardless of what they decide to do.
Im afraid I have to agree with you Elspeth
Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbear View Post
Leave the poor beggars in peace in this regard to make their own decixions
Certainly.

With a tap on the rear and an egg timer set...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Serene Highness

Let me just to post wild guess about Kate and P. William. They are in long term relationship, that's true. But Kate, although quite passable as potential queen IMO, and even accepted by royal family, appeared in William's life when he is not ready to get married. The relationship may end at some point, and when William is ready to get married (some years later from now), we will learn about new woman out of the blue and this lady out of the blue will became future bride.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

It certainly could happen that way, Lakshmi. None of us knows for sure what William's feelings are about commitment and marriage at this point in his life. But I do think it's significant that he and Kate have been together for several years at this point, and that he is close to the Middleton family and has incorporated Kate into his own family events. I'm not sure that either of them would invest themselves so seriously in a relationship if marriage wasn't the eventual goal, but I suppose we'll all find out when they're ready to let us know.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that people really, really liked Diana for herself--or at least what we knew of her. There was tremendous build-up about her in the press, and so she seemed to be just perfect for the role of Princess of Wales. She had qualities that other girlfriends didn't have as well. There seemed to be such an innocence and vulnerability to her, and she was very friendly and "down to earth" with people. Although she was of an aristocratic family, she seemed to be very much a "girl next door." At least, that's what it seemed like. So people would have been pleased with anyone who Charles married, but a lot of people went absolutely ga-ga over Diana and made a huge emotional investment in the wedding and the marriage. That's why the failure of the marriage was so devastating to those of us who were there when it began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Ah I see I had no clue about that
Old 09-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I'm exactly like that too!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I think that people really, really liked Diana for herself--or at least what we knew of her. There was tremendous build-up about her in the press, and so she seemed to be just perfect for the role of Princess of Wales. She had qualities that other girlfriends didn't have as well. There seemed to be such an innocence and vulnerability to her, and she was very friendly and "down to earth" with people. Although she was of an aristocratic family, she seemed to be very much a "girl next door." At least, that's what it seemed like. So people would have been pleased with anyone who Charles married, but a lot of people went absolutely ga-ga over Diana and made a huge emotional investment in the wedding and the marriage. That's why the failure of the marriage was so devastating to those of us who were there when it began.
Ya that's true too definitly, I've heard that from many people as well.

I wanted to add I think especially in the begining if William marries Kate she will be compared to Diana, I'm sure of it, I know we now know alot more about her then we did at the time of her death but I honestly beleive most of us (with a couple of exceptions) still really much love her and miss her and I think it's going to be weird to the public esppecially to see someone else step into her shoes if that's how you want to put it but I hope Kate doesn't fall under that I have to be Diana mind, because she doesn't from everything I know about her she seems like a great girl, as long as she's herself I think people will come to accept her I just think people right now may be a little narrow minded( not people here just in general) becasue we know so little about her. Sorry just wanted to add that I just finished watching a tribute video on Diana and hit me how much I wanted to mention this since I don't know if I had said so before hand but just can't remember.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:33 AM
Heir Apparent

One should maybe listen to one who's "in the know" before judging that Willaim doesn't love Catherine enough...

"(Harry) was really short about (his father), didn't say much about him. But he was saying how his brother's in love."

My, my, the Royals and their surroundings are getting talkative. For me the fact that Harry talked about William's feelings in public is very telling. Plus we know from the description of the stolen pics of William and Catherine that they were very cuddly and in love. So William probably is another Windsor-man. Have we ever seen very romantic scenes between Philip and the queen in public? Or of Edward and Sophie?

William is a burnt child when it comes to the media: he must have seen his mother crying about articles, heard her plotting with the media and seen how it ended. He has been infomred about the inquest and I believe we can agree that he probably listened very intensively. For he has two reasons: he wants to know what really happened to his mother and he wants to find out how to protect his own love from his mother's fate. Just remember: when the media started really harrassing Catherine he must have know that it was their closeness, her closeness to Prince William of Wales, which caused this harrassment. I dare say that if he suffers from anguish due to his mother's death, this scenario was bound to trigger them. So the "split" happened while she appeared in public surrounded and in a way protected by his friends... Strange, if it was a real split. But it helped.

While he tries his best since then not to do anything that might start any kind of frenzy again, he and his family seem to support Catherine and give her a kind of "official" status. So it's her who attends the Royal weddings alone, while the weddings they attend together are very low-key affairs. Parallelly Catherine quits London and moves back home. He goes on a family holiday with her in Mustique where private pictures are taken showing them very much in love. But if these pictures hadn't been stolen, nobody would know about them except the family.

I believe this is a very serious relationship and will lead to marriage once the time is right. I doubt they will wait much longer - why do that? but at the moment Charles' big day is approaching so of course there is no engagement possible till the celebrations are over. After that, we'll see if we get to see a 2009 or 2010 wedding.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Jo, I would never want to see William and Kate in a romantic scene in public - just not done you know! I just canīt see the eye contact and body language of people in love, but I donīt think that because the public likes a royal wedding, or wouldnīt it be romantic to see the young couple married that they should go up the aisle.
It is all very well saying she would be a good wife for William, we just donīt know and I think the Queen, whose opinion he has been brought up to respect, and whose consent is necessary for any royal marriage is going to make all the difference.
It is a matter of wait and see but my opinion is that if he is not going to marry her it would be kinder to break it off now.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
I really see the only possibel place to hold a weddding is Westminster Abbey - if you had it a St George's Chapel it would be compared to Peter Phillips and i mean no offence to him as he is a grandson of the Queen but William is a really important royal and public figure and they will want as many to see the happy couple in the streets and on the balcony as possible - having it at Windsor just doesnt allow this

William and Harry should have their wedding at Westminster Abbey followed by the traditional balcony appearance but the other grandchildren including Beatrice and Eugenie should have it at St Georges
I see your point re the balcony appearance. That said, would they want to be compared so obviously to Charles & Diana? Its difficult to forget that image of C&D kissing on the balcony of Buck House.

I am less keen on your Peter Phillips analogy. St G is an important venue for the royal family. I am sure a route for the royal procession to take around Windsor can be arranged, allowing members ofthe public to get a good look at the couple. Its also not remote, so members of the public will easily be able to reach Windsor town centre.

As regards Beatrice and Eugenie, my own preference would be forthem tomarry at Sandringham or some place like that-however, I thin they will end up at St G!!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I see your point re the balcony appearance. That said, would they want to be compared so obviously to Charles & Diana? Its difficult to forget that image of C&D kissing on the balcony of Buck House.
Eh, I think it's a tradition that is more significant than the couples who have participated in it, if that makes sense. Charles and Di kissed on that balcony, but so did Philip and Elizabeth, and that's not a bad marital example to follow.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
One should maybe listen to one who's "in the know" before judging that Willaim doesn't love Catherine enough...

"(Harry) was really short about (his father), didn't say much about him. But he was saying how his brother's in love."

My, my, the Royals and their surroundings are getting talkative. For me the fact that Harry talked about William's feelings in public is very telling. Plus we know from the description of the stolen pics of William and Catherine that they were very cuddly and in love. So William probably is another Windsor-man. Have we ever seen very romantic scenes between Philip and the queen in public? Or of Edward and Sophie?

William is a burnt child when it comes to the media: he must have seen his mother crying about articles, heard her plotting with the media and seen how it ended. He has been infomred about the inquest and I believe we can agree that he probably listened very intensively. For he has two reasons: he wants to know what really happened to his mother and he wants to find out how to protect his own love from his mother's fate. Just remember: when the media started really harrassing Catherine he must have know that it was their closeness, her closeness to Prince William of Wales, which caused this harrassment. I dare say that if he suffers from anguish due to his mother's death, this scenario was bound to trigger them. So the "split" happened while she appeared in public surrounded and in a way protected by his friends... Strange, if it was a real split. But it helped.

While he tries his best since then not to do anything that might start any kind of frenzy again, he and his family seem to support Catherine and give her a kind of "official" status. So it's her who attends the Royal weddings alone, while the weddings they attend together are very low-key affairs. Parallelly Catherine quits London and moves back home. He goes on a family holiday with her in Mustique where private pictures are taken showing them very much in love. But if these pictures hadn't been stolen, nobody would know about them except the family.

I believe this is a very serious relationship and will lead to marriage once the time is right. I doubt they will wait much longer - why do that? but at the moment Charles' big day is approaching so of course there is no engagement possible till the celebrations are over. After that, we'll see if we get to see a 2009 or 2010 wedding.
I have to agree with most you had said Jo of Palatine. There are a lot of people who are unfomfortable displaying their emotions in public, especially 'real' public like in case of William and Catherine.
However, I would be really cautious with the source quoting Harry; I seriously doubt Harry would speak about his brother's love life, or indeed about any family member to a complete stranger in a bar. I just don't imagine that. Most probably, the story was invented to sell papers.
As for the camera... Well, no one has seen the pictures, so you can't really say what was on it.

I completely agree on one point; lack of pictures of William and Catherine kissing, hugging or otherwise displaying their feelings doesn't mean they are not actually deeply committed to each other.

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press