The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

^Me too to be honest with you, I just get this feeling one day I'll wake up be having a bad day or w/e go online and boom there will be the announcement, I have this gut feeling that it's going to be well hidden.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Exactly. Everything will go all quiet on the Wills and Kate front, and then "BANG"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
^Me too to be honest with you, I just get this feeling one day I'll wake up be having a bad day or w/e go online and boom there will be the announcement, I have this gut feeling that it's going to be well hidden.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I know Charles tried to keep it pretty well hidden but these 2 seem to be alot better at keeping things hidden compared to Charles and Diana. I'm sure I'll scream out of joy if it happens while I'm at school hah the teachers will think I've lost it haha I don't know why but the one question I have in the back of my mind is will it have the same hoopla his parents wedding did.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I know Charles tried to keep it pretty well hidden but these 2 seem to be alot better at keeping things hidden compared to Charles and Diana. I'm sure I'll scream out of joy if it happens while I'm at school hah the teachers will think I've lost it haha I don't know why but the one question I have in the back of my mind is will it have the same hoopla his parents wedding did.

I don't think it will have the same hoopla if the present Queen is alive as William is only the 2nd in line.

I also think that the RF don't want those sorts of big weddings again seeing as how those of Charles, Andrew and Anne all failed.

I wouldn't be surprised if he got married at St George's rather than in London (I hope not but I wouldn't be surprised).

It certainly won't have any of that false 'fairytale' mush.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think the fact past marriages have failed would have anything to do with them not wanting such a big wedding, actually I feel William would be more of the one saying no I want a private wedding rather then anyone else. I don't know but didn't Andrew and Fergie too have a pretty large wedding, seemed like a very exciting atmosphere from what I've seen even though he wasn't heir to the throne, so I don't see why William's wouldn't have the same hoopla but I wonder more if the public will how can I describe this cling onto William and Kate (if she's the one he marries) the way they did with Charles and Diana as a couple. I think the fact the public felt sorta attached to Charles and Diana is why they got that sort of reaction from the public. Again I wasn't born in the 80's , I didn't eperience any of it all I can say is from what I've seen and heard so forgive me if I'm mistaken in anything I've just said.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think they're going to have to be a bit careful here, though, because I'm sure they don't want it to look as though Kate's getting second-tier treatment because of her middle-class origins.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:31 AM
Heir Apparent

My sense here is that the announcement in relation to William's future career within the SAR does not in any way indicate that Will is not ready to commit to Kate as yet. I do think it is perfectly possible for them to marry in due course (and certainly within the time frame of Will's involvement with the SAR) and lead a semi-private life for the inital few years. They would still do a few engagements a year, and Kate could take on certain charity roles, but they would certainly not be "full time" working royals like Charles & Camilla are. In time, Kate could be seen supporting the Queen and perhaps Camilla carry out their engagements. They may or may not choose to live on the base Wills is stationed at - that is a decision that will be taken on the basis of the housing stock and security constraints at the relevat SAR base.

As regards the size, scale and location of Williams potential wedding, I think it will be a large wedding, with all the appropriate foreign guests etc. However, I think it is likely to be at St George's rather than London, and if it has to be London, it will be at Westminister Abbey. I don't think St Pauls will be in the running at all, as there would be too many comparisons to the wedding of Charles & Diana. St George's and Windsor are large enough to accomodate the wedding and reception.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I think they're going to have to be a bit careful here, though, because I'm sure they don't want it to look as though Kate's getting second-tier treatment because of her middle-class origins.
Elspeth - I this day and age, do you really think most people in the UK are worried about Kate's "middle class" origins?
Old 09-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
This announcement to me says loud and clear that William isn't committed to marriage at this stage.

Like his father before him, I think he will complete his commitment to the military (another 5 years if my Maths is correct - 18 months training plus 3- 3.5 years service = 4.5 to 5 years) before getting married.

As others have said once married the press will be wanting photos and the public will want to see the young couple doing duties together.

All of the above is my opinion of course with no inside knowledge or ideas at all.
Unfortunately, as they will be well aware, Catherines' biological time bomb is ticking. In another 5 years any pregnancy will be prone to many more problems, including conceiving in the first place.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I think the fact the public felt sorta attached to Charles and Diana is why they got that sort of reaction from the public. Again I wasn't born in the 80's , I didn't eperience any of it all I can say is from what I've seen and heard so forgive me if I'm mistaken in anything I've just said.
Most people were I think 'attached' because they had waited for many years to see who their Prince married. The reaction would have been the same no matter who he chose as his bride.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Unfortunately, as they will be well aware, Catherines' biological time bomb is ticking. In another 5 years any pregnancy will be prone to many more problems, including conceiving in the first place.
You're right, it doesn't make sense to meet your future wife at university and then to wait till she's 30, especially if having children is such a necessity for the heir of the Heir to the throne. Charles faced the problem that all eligible ladies of his acquiantance in due couse either got married or decided against marriage, so he got older and older and in a way had to resort to a much younger wife. But William already seems to have chosen considering the amount of young ladies he must have so far met so I don't see any reason why he should wait as long as his father did.

IMHO William will settle into a career of his own, his father will celebrate his birthday and enter the age of an elder statesman with his future queen by his side and when all is going smoothly, William will marry Catherine and they will try to start their family immediately. If Catherine is of a similar mould than Crown Princesses Mary, Mette-Marit and Maxima she will want to be a hands-on mother and not flying through society anyway for the children's first years, so it would make sense to semi-retire to the life of an army-wife a bit apart from London while leaving the representation to the lady who is actually the next queen by law. It's not as if Britain needed a young Crown Princess now as desperately as other monarchies and the Britain of the 1980ties needed one, so why should Catherine and William not enjoy a bit of the life Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip were having (and having fun with) before Elizabeth became queen at such a young age.

I think the queen and Charles are the first ones to wish that for William and his wife, after all they both know what it means to be so close to the throne and certainly wish William that he should be spared for a bit more time.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it's about time these two make known their intentions.

I don't see his career as an excuse, myself. It's widely known what he wishes to do in this regard and his constitutional studies are a certainty.

I also don't think 'waiting' as long as his father necessarily the right choice to make. His got the woman, they've dated for some time (a certain hiatus "excused") and she's invited to most 'Wales' related events anyway. Also, was she not in Germany with William for a wedding this past week?

I say cut the crap and give the las a ring, get hicthed, acquire a dukedom and let the masses rejoice...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think the decision of marrying is not only up to Prince William. The Queen will have a lot to do with this as she did with Prince Charles. This is not just a "love story" this is the BRF and it is not that simple. In my opinion (which doesn´t count for anything but I have one) she is not the right person for future Queen, but everyone thought that Diana was, so choosing is certainly not easy for a future King.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

May I enquire as to why you feel she may not be the right person?

I know a little about her, but don't pay the younger royals (or their entourage) much attention as I think they're more socialites with titles. Or so they act.

Truth be told, I just want a wedding...

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Most people were I think 'attached' because they had waited for many years to see who their Prince married. The reaction would have been the same no matter who he chose as his bride.
Ah I see I had no clue about that
Old 09-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Elspeth - I this day and age, do you really think most people in the UK are worried about Kate's "middle class" origins?
I don't think it'll matter to a lot of people, but there are a couple of potential pitfalls that I can foresee. One is that there are still quite a few people around who are ready to compare just about anything with Diana and find it inferior by comparison, so a low-key wedding will be a great excuse to claim that the royals are trying to keep Kate in the background because she's not as good as Diana (or, alternatively, that they're trying to keep her in the background so that the wicked evil Camilla gets centre stage since that's the only way she'll ever get it and all that creative stuff). The other is that the tabloid press will be very quick to jump on any perceived slight to Kate and make mountains out of any little molehills because controversy sells newspapers - especially if there really is an anti-monarchy campaign underfoot at any of these tabloids.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I really see the only possible place to hold a weddding is Westminster Abbey - if you had it a St George's Chapel it would be compared to Peter Phillips and i mean no offence to him as he is a grandson of the Queen but William is a really important royal and public figure and they will want as many to see the happy couple in the streets and on the balcony as possible - having it at Windsor just doesnt allow this

William and Harry should have their wedding at Westminster Abbey followed by the traditional balcony appearance but the other grandchildren including Beatrice and Eugenie should have it at St Georges

Old 09-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
May I enquire as to why you feel she may not be the right person?

I know a little about her, but don't pay the younger royals (or their entourage) much attention as I think they're more socialites with titles. Or so they act.

Truth be told, I just want a wedding...
I just think that she won´t fit in with the royal family. It was difficult for Diana who lived in close proximity with them but still found it impossible to adjust. I really think William would be better with someone of his own circle also I don´t think he is in love (whatever that means) his body language tells me that he is quite happy to have a pretty girl to show off to his friends also to have someone who seems to be willing to put her own life on hold to be available for him.
That said I have to admit that she reminds me of someone I knew (in fact she is almost her double) who I disliked intensely.....
Old 09-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that Kate is a very level-headed person. At least, that's my impression of her so far. A person who can get along with people and has good relationships within his/her family has it over someone who might have better "breeding" but is less stable emotionally. I thought a lot of Diana and still enjoy looking at her pictures and so on, but I don't think that she was ready for a life in the public eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I just think that she won´t fit in with the royal family. It was difficult for Diana who lived in close proximity with them but still found it impossible to adjust.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
I think it's about time these two make known their intentions.

I don't see his career as an excuse, myself. It's widely known what he wishes to do in this regard and his constitutional studies are a certainty.
Well said Madame. I think his having a new "career" is the perfect time to get married.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royal
I say cut the crap and give the las a ring, get hicthed, acquire a dukedom and let the masses rejoice...
Absolutely! Throw the masses a bone and then go off to SAR training. Wife to be seen and involved in the odd charity when not looking after "the Kids! Live "on Base" to gain maximum protection from the paparazzi. Every angle's a winner and minimizes interference from the Buck House Grey Men (or did the Queen and Charles get shot of them after the Diana debacle?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
As regards the size, scale and location of Williams potential wedding, I think it will be a large wedding, with all the appropriate foreign guests etc. . . . . . . .
Thus throwing the masses a very large bone indeed!

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press