The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Well, my mom always said that you expect couples in love to at least look at each other once in awhile even if they're both shy.

Mom was struck at the engagement interviews of Charles and Diana by how little Diana actually looked at Charles whereas he was looking at her a lot. During the wedding she didn't seem to look at him a lot either and one of her biggest most radiant smiles came when she was halfway down the aisle and Mom said, she's still not looking at him, she's looking at the congregation.

I don't know how much William and Kate look at each other in public but if they can't do that, I'd be worried about them. It's natural for couples to steal little looks at each other even when they are in public.

I thought I was the only one who noticed those things about Diana and Charles during the early days - from engagement to marriage.

To me she didn't seem like someone in love with the man by her side at all. He seemed far more taken with her than she was with him.

Then I saw a lot of sadness in his eyes on his wedding day - I suspect because he realised that she was in love with his position and title rather than with the man who held them whereas she was all smiley because she believed she had secured the fairytale catch that her step-grandmother wrote about all the time - you know how they live happily ever after after the wedding.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

If you read Ingrid Seward´s book "The Queen & Di" she says that Prince Charles was very worried by Diana´s behaviour, she had been very erratic and he was very puzzled by her and her mood swings. She was almost calling everything off then the next moment she was all smiles.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Here are a couple of news articles that include pictures of the pair looking at each other:

Pop Sugar
The Telegraph (second photo in slideshow)
And even the Daily Mail! (The second photo is especially good, I think.)

And this one isn't the two looking at each other, but I'd say there's a great deal of affection in the included photo: Faded Youth Blog: A Royal Ceremony

I think their lack of overt public displays of affection really is a symptom of William's apparent reserve and his obvious disdain for being photographed while not on "company time," as it were.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Am I the only one who thought it was Diana who kept looking at Charles throughout the wedding..anyways not the point, very good eye Ella Kay those are great pictures of the couple looking at each other.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
If you have digital TV, then you can get SKY news, you do not need a freeview box. As Analog has already been switched off in many places, by the time of an engagement interview (if there is one), digital will rule and Sky will be in the running. After all, I don't think the beeb has been fully forgiven for the secret interview it did air!
I'd forgotten about the switchover and the possible effect it might have.

I do hope they don't do any interviews with Sky though, it's such poor quality journalism.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

will todays announcement that William is to train for 18months with the RAF rescue service and then serve with that division for up to 3 years have an impact on an engagement?

Old 09-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Heir Apparent

It certainly seems to make the possiblity of any sort of wedding in the near future obsolete.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
It certainly seems to make the possiblity of any sort of wedding in the near future obsolete.
Why? He just needs time to be measured for whatever uniform he will wear at the wedding and time off for the honeymoon.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Well there would be a lot of preparation for any sort of ceremony, public announcements would need to be made etc.

His wedding will probably be quite large, whenever it happens and events like that take a certain degree of planning. Moreover, practically speaking I think it highly unlikely he would get married and then disappear for his RAF duties.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

It shows that William is not anywhere near a committment yet. I wonder if Kate will / wants to survive another couple of years as Waity Katie, dangling along between parties and part time jobs. I get more and more the feeling that William is either not interested in or scared off getting married and that he has the potential to become the next Prince Albert (hopefully without some kids along the way), remaining a bachelor until his late fourties or even fifties. He's probably still disgusted by that fake sugary and romantic image that surrounded the marriage of his parents and has decided to avoid such a scenario for himself.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It shows that William is not anywhere near a committment yet. I wonder if Kate will / wants to survive another couple of years as Waity Katie, dangling along between parties and part time jobs. I get more and more the feeling that William is either not interested in or scared off getting married and that he has the potential to become the next Prince Albert (hopefully without some kids along the way), remaining a bachelor until his late fourties or even fifties. He's probably still disgusted by that fake sugary and romantic image that surrounded the marriage of his parents and has decided to avoid such a scenario for himself.
I don't know. Here in Germany the SAR-pilots are stationedat their base and do their shifts while apart from that have their family life. None of the SAR-pilots have to remain a bachelor and they don't have to live at their base but could have a normal house, normal family and normal life scheme with leisure times as well as duty times. Why should Catherine not marry William and go on to live with hime in a house close to his base? Princess Elizabeth did that as well when her husband was stationed on Malta. So there could be a Royal wedding in the not so far future, but afterwards the young couple don't embark on a couple of trips as the young Royal superstars but retire to an AIr Force base as a young officer and his wife. Okay, protected by extra security but still a young flight officer and his wife. Plus dog and cats and sometime in the future kids.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I don't know. Here in Germany the SAR-pilots are stationedat their base and do their shifts while apart from that have their family life. None of the SAR-pilots have to remain a bachelor and they don't have to live at their base but could have a normal house, normal family and normal life scheme with leisure times as well as duty times. Why should Catherine not marry William and go on to live with him in a house close to his base?
It is the same here, SAR personnel are at certain bases, with a variety of houses available to any married couples, many now within the confines/security of the actual base, as opposed to just outside. They could of course get a high security hireing anywhere within a reasonable distance of the base. Serving in any of the arms of the services does not stop anyone getting married. He at least, will not be flying into any conflict zones, well at the moment.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that spending their early marriage on/near a military base would be a good idea. There wouldn't be photographers allowed close to their home in that case, and they could have a reasonably private life. Some people won't like the lack of paparazzi photos, but there would still be photos available of them on official engagements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
IWhy should Catherine not marry William and go on to live with hime in a house close to his base? Princess Elizabeth did that as well when her husband was stationed on Malta. So there could be a Royal wedding in the not so far future, but afterwards the young couple don't embark on a couple of trips as the young Royal superstars but retire to an AIr Force base as a young officer and his wife. Okay, protected by extra security but still a young flight officer and his wife. Plus dog and cats and sometime in the future kids.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

In theory it sounds like a good idea but I doubt it would be working. It's almost 2009 and not 1949 any longer. As soons as William gets married, people and the media want to have their "grip" on the couple, performing duties, producing babies. There is no way William gets married and lives for the next years as Officer Wales in a barack, with his wife by his side, leading the life of an army wife. Sorry, it sounds romantic but I don't think it's feasible. If this was Harry's choice, no problem, but not William. He is the one who should put an emphasis on duty, at least as soons as he gets married. Other than that I think it's a good decision to do something more "in depth" rather than the recent "pro-forma-stints".
Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

I have to agree with Duke - the scenario sounds good only in theory. Which means that William is not ready to settle down yet. Which means Catherine has some really unpleasant times ahead, even if it is not her fault at all.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, I don't want any of them to feel rushed so if we have to wait another year then I suppose that's ok.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

He'll be doing his duty. What could be more patriotic than rescuing his countrymen-and-women who are in danger of losing their lives? This is dangerous work. While Prince Charles is still heir to the throne, William isn't and so doesn't need to assume those responsibilities before his time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
In theory it sounds like a good idea but I doubt it would be working. It's almost 2009 and not 1949 any longer. As soons as William gets married, people and the media want to have their "grip" on the couple, performing duties, producing babies. There is no way William gets married and lives for the next years as Officer Wales in a barack, with his wife by his side, leading the life of an army wife. Sorry, it sounds romantic but I don't think it's feasible. If this was Harry's choice, no problem, but not William. He is the one who should put an emphasis on duty, at least as soons as he gets married. Other than that I think it's a good decision to do something more "in depth" rather than the recent "pro-forma-stints".
Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Majesty

This announcement to me says loud and clear that William isn't committed to marriage at this stage.

Like his father before him, I think he will complete his commitment to the military (another 5 years if my Maths is correct - 18 months training plus 3- 3.5 years service = 4.5 to 5 years) before getting married.

As others have said once married the press will be wanting photos and the public will want to see the young couple doing duties together.

All of the above is my opinion of course with no inside knowledge or ideas at all.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

or he may surprise everyone and marry Kate before hes out of the Service. JMHO
Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that an engagement announcement will come when we're least expecting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
or he may surprise everyone and marry Kate before hes out of the Service. JMHO

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press