William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that finds it weird that the article would claim that William was shocked of the picture of Kate on the floor, she was skating, she fell and was caught laughing and then got up, nothing shocking about that IMO the press chose to make a big deal out of it, the exact same thing has happened to my friends many times, and because of the theme to fundraiser that's why she was wearing that type of outfit I don't think I've ever seen her walk out of the house like that. That's one of the main things that caught my attention in the article wouldn't he be more shocked with the picture of her on the cell while driving (if that was the case we never really found out)

I agree, ghost_night ... I wonder if these stories about William's negative reaction to the pictures from the roller disco are a way for the press to try to validate their own incredibly negative stories about the event. But, then, I tend not to believe most articles that claim to have knowledge of William's reaction to any private matter, just because he's so wary of the press (and probably very guarded around any reporters as a result).

I don´t think it was her falling over that upset anyone, it is the fact that any "wannabe" royal would put herself in that position, in a skimpy little outfit to attract attention. She did attract attention but not quite the way she had planned it. Can you imagine Princess Diana doing this, do you remember the fuss when someone took a photo of her on an exercise machine in a gym. Perhaps he didn´t mind, perhaps the romance is going strong but in a more guarded manner, no one knows and probably no journalist knows either, so it is a wait and see situation.

If they're really planning to marry but not for several years yet, then it may be worth their getting engaged and making public their plans not to marry for a while, just so that Kate's actions are seen to be appropriate for the situation everybody knows she's in as opposed to the situation she knows she's in but everybody else is in the dark about and wondering what she's playing at.

I don't think that's a clever or suitable solution to the problem. What status would this mean for Kate? She would be seen as a royal when in fact she's not and her actions would be seen as service to the country what they in fact are not. And what if William (or Kate) find out in their inbetween "engaged but not married" period, that could well last over several years, that marriage is finally not on the cards? It will leave both of them standing out in the rain as morons with a broken engagement and a long-term harm to the monarchy. For me it's either hop or top, all (an engagement with an announced marriage date within the next year) or nothing (what we see now) and Kate is either royal or not. There is no inbetween. A "long term fiancee" with an aimed wedding date in years to come is neither fish nor flesh.

The more I look at the situation the more I am sure that one day Kate will suffer the same fate as countless girls before her who were linked to a royal for many years, supposed to become their brides but time (or public opinion with time) proved to be a killer. Just naming all these long-term girlfriends like Catherine Knudsen (Haakon), Emily Breemer (WA), Eva Sannum (Felipe) or Katja Storckholm (Fred). All long-term relationships but losing out on the big price that finally went to a fresh girl who was given the "serious" label from the beginning. My guess is that Kate will be added to that list and in years to come, when William is in his mid thirties and a grown up, he will present the girl who finally is "the one" for life - and will make her his wife without any hesitation.

. . . . . For me it's either hop or top, all (an engagement with an announced marriage date within the next year) or nothing (what we see now) and Kate is either royal or not. There is no inbetween. A "long term fiancee" with an aimed wedding date in years to come is neither fish nor flesh.
To paraphrase Tom Selleck's line in Three Men and a Baby, "It's time to fish or cut bait"! And I wholeheartedly agree. :D

duke of marmalde said:
. . . . . . and in years to come, when William is in his mid thirties and a grown up, he will present the girl who finally is "the one" for life - and will make her his wife without any hesitation.
Grown up? Good grief! A man can drink, vote, and fight for his country at 20, but is not considered "grown-up" until his mid thirties. . . Hells Bells! :bang:

He is 26. And he is not grown-up now?

grown-up = mature. There have been quite a few events demonstrating William's immaturity quite clearly, as well in professional life ("helicopter gate", see below) as in private life (not showing any sign of serious commitment towards his long-term girlfriend).

Prince William's training flights cost UK taxpayer £86,000 - Europe, World - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

I am not blaming William for not "being ready", he is not the first 26 year old who isn't and won't be the last. I have no doubts he will grow into both his professional life and his private life, however, whilst there are no time restrictions regarding his professional life, at least not before his father becomes King, there could well be time restrictions for his private life, although not for him, but for Kate. I believe Kate Middleton is one of those royal girlfriends who are around at the right place but at the wrong time. William can easily wait another 10 years but Kate can't - I doubt their relationship will survive many more years in the waiting loop.

Maturity is a relative term. And it is also not something to "achieve". No one comes to a point of maturity. It's more of a process than a destination.

I don´t think it was her falling over that upset anyone, it is the fact that any "wannabe" royal would put herself in that position, in a skimpy little outfit to attract attention. She did attract attention but not quite the way she had planned it. Can you imagine Princess Diana doing this, do you remember the fuss when someone took a photo of her on an exercise machine in a gym. Perhaps he didn´t mind, perhaps the romance is going strong but in a more guarded manner, no one knows and probably no journalist knows either, so it is a wait and see situation.

Maybe it's me but I don't think she wore that outfit for attention. Wasn't the theme disco or something I can't remember. I've seen much skimpier outfits, maybe that's why I don't see what was wrong with the outfit, or maybe I'm just really weird.

I agree, ghost_night ... I wonder if these stories about William's negative reaction to the pictures from the roller disco are a way for the press to try to validate their own incredibly negative stories about the event. But, then, I tend not to believe most articles that claim to have knowledge of William's reaction to any private matter, just because he's so wary of the press (and probably very guarded around any reporters as a result).
That's true, I doubt William would just openly reveal his thoughts to just anyone. I guess I'm sorta contradicting myself cause I believed the story about his brother saying he was in love, but maybe I only said that cause I really wanted to believe it, sorry I kinda sidetracked there and brought in a whole different topic but I just remembered my comment about that topic.

I thought that the outfit was quite decent, actually. She didn't show her midriff or any cleavage, and she had some sort of hose on under the shorts. It was supposed to be a roller-disco, afterall.:flowers:

I thought that the outfit was quite decent, actually. She didn't show her midriff or any cleavage, and she had some sort of hose on under the shorts. It was supposed to be a roller-disco, afterall.:flowers:

Very true. I wondered why in the world some internet posters were going gleefully on about Kate "exposing" herself in those photos - she was obviously wearing tights or hose under her shorts, judging by the sheen on her legs in some of the pictures. It was a silly outfit, but it wasn't indecent.

Stories of Kate and Wills are getting funnier and funnier.

Now they're saying the two had a pregnancy scare:

Wills and Kate's baby shock!

If there's any truth to the story, I'm sure it was scare many couples go through.

So in other words, the tabloids are starting to have trouble scaring up rumours about the two? :whistling:

I have always been a Kate fan the idea that a plain Jane could equal all that we commoners could dream of. But lately it seems to have lost the luster of hope for (me anyway). {profanity deleted - Elspeth} this may show my lower level grade. but come on 6 years is just a bit much. No reason what so ever he could not make her and RAF wife... I guess it all comes down to how bad does she want the crown... and that is how long she will wait .

She could still easily end up an ex girlfriend but I for one am beginning to hope not. She has been discretion personified since day one and I think she is being attacked because all the praise is used up. We still know so little about her really and I cant see that changing. She may get sick of the public attitude but then maybe Wills in private is worth it. He really cant be as insipid as he looks to me or he wouldnt have any friends at all.

She may get sick of the public attitude but then maybe Wills in private is worth it. He really cant be as insipid as he looks to me or he wouldnt have any friends at all.

:lol::lol: Maybe he is and they are all insipid too.

I don't believe the nonsense about William being upset because of the roller skating pictures. She just fell. If he is upset that she fell on skates, maybe he is insipid.

Ironic considering that they weren't supposed to have seen each other for several weeks.:rolleyes:

:lol: It's a miracle - immaculate conception!

Maybe it's me but I don't think she wore that outfit for attention. Wasn't the theme disco or something I can't remember. I've seen much skimpier outfits, maybe that's why I don't see what was wrong with the outfit, or maybe I'm just really weird.

Of course you are not weird. It was a disco, she was dressed to kill at a disco. Now what would be weird is to imagine, the Queen, Princess Anne, Sophie Wessex, even Zara Philips, Autumn Kelly, Princess Alexandra dressed like that and sprawled...

Perhaps the problem was that Prince William didn´t want her to go to the disco in the first place. I think that when she wants his attention her way of dressing gets a bit "skimpy".

Quite right in that none of these people took part in a 1980s themed charity roller skating event. More often than not, people are complaining that Kate is very conservatively dressed. On the one occassion that she did wear something slightly racier (but not in any way distasteful or inappropriate for the event) the anti-Kate brigade suddenly change their argument around 180 degrees, and start to complain about her clothes. :bang: Are people forgetting it was meant to be fun, in a slightly tongue in cheek manner?

Whilst I do maintain that the charity event was not a mistake on Kate's part at all, each of the people mentioned above (other than the Queen) has had her share of faux pas over the years: Princess Anne for taking part in Its a Royal Knockout, topless shots of Sophie taken when she worked for a London radio station that emerged after her engagement to Edward (not to mention the fake sheikh!), Zara Philips and Autumn Kelly and their magazine deals......

I agree a long term engagement is not appopriate in the context of senior members of the royal family. I think it is difficult to tell where the relationship is headed as we have few facts to hand - just a load of speculation on behalf of various sections of the media.

That said, my view is that the couple will probably marry when Will completes his SAR training. Assuming the training starts in Jan 2009 and the training lasts till summer 2010, expect a wedding around then. If this timetable were to hold, expect an engagement announcement around christmas 2009. This timetable would allow them to then be able to have a few years of early married life before he enters full time royal duties. It would also give Clarence House a little more time to futher establish "brand Camilla." And all things considered, it is probably best that Kate bide the next year or so keeping a relatively low profile and working for her parents.

Nobody said they were going to get married guys, don't get your under-wear in a wad before anything happens. They are just dating.

You never know with couples these days. Anyway, I would say there is a HUGE possibility that they could easily be getting married in the future either near or far. They have been together for a very long time.

Yeah the problem is, one of them doesn't want to commit to the relationship, they are very uncertain. They have broken up four times, and it really doesn't matter how long you are together because people change, Prince Carl Philip and his girlfriend split after 9 years.

^Very true. I didn't know it about CP and Emma. But you have a good point there.

Here is another possibility though. I do not remember ever seeing this possibility tried on for size around here.

What if the "waiting" is not really the decision of William and Kate? Maybe there are reasons we don't know of now, but that will be clear in the future, in retrospect, reasons to delay the marriage until next year, or in two years, whatever. The reasons are probably something inside the royal family that we can't perceive. They plan things out a year or two in advance, right? Well, they have much to juggle and coordinate, and there are things much bigger than William and Kate that would take a higher priority. Who knows? In short, this whole, "will they or won't they" debate could be something over even their heads. The whole show is only about William and Kate outside the palace walls, haha. I doubt the Queen and her private secretariat are spending much time thinking about it.

It's certainly hard to "know" the ins and outs of the relationship and definitely impossible to predict any future development. Other than they may marry or they may not, there's really not much one can say.
Neither William nor Kate have ever said anything on the subject themselves so the sole basis for information is the tabloid press which loves to exxagerate things and is often unreliable. So neither of us knows how much in love they are or how often they broke up etc. It's like trying to figure out a puzzle with 1000 pieces when you only have 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom