William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So far however there is no indication at all that anyone in the BRF is opposed to William marrying Kate. She's neither divorced nor Catholic - so no problem there. The only problem some seem to have is their own idea that a royal bride has to be of aristocratic background or "breeding" - a notion the BRF does not seem to share itself - certainly not after their last "suitable" aristo virgin turned out to be the worst nightmare the Windsors ever experienced. I have yet to see anything to indicate that HM or anyone else would meddle with William's decision about marriage. If he decides he wants to marry Kate, I do not see the Queen saying "no" to it. Clearly if they didn't want him to possibly marry a "commoner" he wouldn't have been dating several before Kate and would not have had a very public relationship with her for so long.
I agree, and I honestly believe that it is a small number of the middle class that are opposed to Kate.
-----snipped---His father was described as a 'good bloke' by some of his school mates when he attended school here in the 60s
Good bloke here is normally used by drinking pals from the office or building site, along with good mate etc. Chap is the one that seems to be used by the upper middle and upper classes. Whichever, it is not as far as I know an insult.:flowers:

I respectfully point out that "bloke" was used by his school mates who knew him not by a person who didn´t.
You wouldn´t say "hey Lillibet" to the Queen but perhaps her husband would. Bloke in itself is not an insult just IMHO disrespectful for a subject to use when referring to a member of the royal family. But "bloke" away if you want to, it is up to you.

I respectfully point out that "bloke" was used by his school mates who knew him not by a person who didn´t.
You wouldn´t say "hey Lillibet" to the Queen but perhaps her husband would. Bloke in itself is not an insult just IMHO disrespectful for a subject to use when referring to a member of the royal family. But "bloke" away if you want to, it is up to you.

I found that one should not argue with native speakers about the way they use colloquial expressions. They normally know a lot more than even the best-educated foreigner. :flowers:

Aussies most certainly would use the term 'bloke' to describe many members of the Royal family (and yes some would call out 'Lilibet' to the Queen - one of our top cricketers actually asked her for her autograph and eventually got it to - some five or so years after first being introduced to her and Philip and saying 'g'day' not 'How are you ma'am'. The royals are fully aware of Australians language and understand that these informal, colloquial, terms are actually positive and terms that are meant to show their acceptance amongst us.

I think that this topic tends to get people riled up because some of the arguments against Kate marrying William sound like classism. That perhaps might not be what people mean, but that's what it sounds like. :ermm:

And I suggest you don't...

However, there's no reason for this thread to descend into attacks by members on other members who disagree with them. It should be possible to disagree about the thread topic without getting personal.

:flowers:It seems reading over old threads there is a trend of distaste for the girlfriends/boyfriends and suspicion of the same and their motives, lots of are they good enough much as there is initially in many families when a sibling or child looks like settling down. Is it that we think of the RFs as extensions of our own?? :rolleyes:Maybe they are stronger than we think. This seems to go to oohhs and ahhs at an engagement and downright gushing and adoration at the wedding followed by a honeymoon period then constructive criticism followed by speculation, praise, condemnation and apathy dependent on the occasion/other current news to divert interest. This also seems to happen in the press. Should Miss Middleton flash an engagement ring tomorrow and trail a 25 ft train into the church next week there would be nothing but WOW comments for a while. I have a lot more respect for her and for William for not giving in to the pressure.:D

We have an upcoming article that Vanesa has written for the TRF articles site which makes pretty much this exact argument. We're hoping to publish it sometime in the next couple of weeks. It seems to be quite topical, because I'm seeing these concerns being expressed in several forums.

Not to drag the thread off topic or anything:whistling:, but this article is now published, and is available here:

Commoners in Royal Houses

If anyone would like to talk about the article after reading it, you can do that here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f196/commoners-in-royal-houses-18655.html

It is still more cost effective to protect a royal family than it is to protect Presidents/exPresidents upcoming presidents and their familys. Give me the monarchy where the power is constrained by protocol and tradiition but is there and can be used if it is needed. Case in point Australia 1975 What could the Governer General do but sack (fire) the Parliament and call an election. The desicion resting with the people of the country. Democracy. Spare me please the inflated egos that need a hail to the chief played when they stand up (no offence intended to US citizens online, our cultures require different things from our heads of state). Please give me someone with a decent education who knows how to act in public/interact with other heads of state and if necessary and only if necessary will intervene in the running of my country.

I often wonder what goes through the Queen's head when "God Save the Queen" is played. Perhaps she thinks of her father and grandfather, given that she must have heard it played for them often.:flowers:

It is still more cost effective to protect a royal family than it is to protect Presidents/exPresidents upcoming presidents and their familys. Give me the monarchy where the power is constrained by protocol and tradiition but is there and can be used if it is needed. Case in point Australia 1975 What could the Governer General do but sack (fire) the Parliament and call an election. The desicion resting with the people of the country. Democracy. Spare me please the inflated egos that need a hail to the chief played when they stand up (no offence intended to US citizens online, our cultures require different things from our heads of state). Please give me someone with a decent education who knows how to act in public/interact with other heads of state and if necessary and only if necessary will intervene in the running of my country.

Kate and William

I certainly hope that Kate's relationship with William does not end up like that of Viscount Linley's with Susannah Constantine. After years of dating, they broke up and he married Serena.

first william being william marriage is not going to happan soon.william marry kate may never happan. do they even have anything in common or does kate just pertends. i think will marry an american.

^Ya exactly I totally agree I mean for example, my grandparents never made out in public, held hands or what not but they've been together since the day they met and they're still going strong now.

As I heard someone say many years ago there are more comfortable places to do these things. :whistling:

As I heard someone say many years ago there are more comfortable places to do these things. :whistling:
..... in the waiting room, that is her life (as some might say!) :ROFLMAO:

There is an article about them in the american november Vanity Fair. ;)

I feel bad for Kate no matter what she does it is wrong NO charty bad girl, Charty: it is not good eoungh(to have fun at a charty. In the press she is a Diana want to be. Out of the press she is hidding from something. Working part time. full time oh is she really working what ever

Personally, I think that an engagement is too soon. I would have liked it if Kate establishes her own career first and be an accomplished woman like the other European princessess before agreeing to a marriage. That way she get to know herself better and be able to be a better princess once the time comes.

Clearly it's not happening soon anyway, speculating about Will and Kate bores me. Same with CP Victoria and Daniel too. LOL, maybe it's all long-term couples!

Clearly it's not happening soon anyway, speculating about Will and Kate bores me. Same with CP Victoria and Daniel too. LOL, maybe it's all long-term couples!

Did anyone in fact thought an engagement might be announced before Charles has celebrated his 60.th birthday in style? of course there was no engagement forthcoming this year! But we've yet to see christmas...

It might be a surprise at Prince Charles´s 60th, to take away the protaganism from the party boy!!! I bet!!

Well I only mentioned that because I've heard alot of people complain that they aren't affectionate with each other.

I had the thought that there might be an engagement after Charles' celebrations but before Christmas. :flowers:

Did anyone in fact thought an engagement might be announced before Charles has celebrated his 60.th birthday in style? of course there was no engagement forthcoming this year! But we've yet to see christmas...

It could happen in that window, but I'm more inclined to think that if they do get engaged, we won't have an announcement until after William's finished his SAR training.

That Nicholl article - goodness, aren't these tabloid people always supposed to have insider sources? Can't they come up with anything new to write?

I have doubts about this story, because first off, its Katie Nicholls, she's a tabloid writer. Second, I find it hard to believe that anyone would take a backseat to anything, especially when it comes to a relationship. All she does is wait and wait. No wonder why she is called "Waity Katie". And if she's supposed to hate that nickname, then she better wisen up and realize that this relationship - I believe - is going nowhere.

I'm really starting to find these two now-not-so-young people very boring.

William hasn't shown anything in his personality or character to make me interested in him. He seems self-conscious and just bland. If they do have a secret long-term commitment but they're not going to get engaged till William's finished his training, then I think Kate should go and do something useful and appropriate for a future Princess of Wales and ultimately Queen, like getting a job with a disaster relief fund or the Red Cross or something. Or even just doing a master's degree. Something to occupy her for that period other than working in Mum & Dad's business. I think she should be showing the world something of her commitment to making a contribution to the community or at least improving herself with her future obligations in mind. And if they don't have long term plans, she should cut him loose and get on with life. She's been waiting around at his beck and call too long now. They're both dull and boring, IMO.

While I agree with what you're saying about the secret long-term commitment, she's running the risk of being criticised for acting above her station if she goes out and does "future-princess-appropriate" stuff and for trying to put pressure on William or show the Queen how good a princess she'd be or whatever the tabloids can come up with.

If they're really planning to marry but not for several years yet, then it may be worth their getting engaged and making public their plans not to marry for a while, just so that Kate's actions are seen to be appropriate for the situation everybody knows she's in as opposed to the situation she knows she's in but everybody else is in the dark about and wondering what she's playing at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom