The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Aristocracy

Why should working for her parents not be regarded productive?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Perhaps some like myself would like to see a more productive young lady who may have a royal future ahead of her, apply herself more for the good of others, regardless of what happens in the end.
Would you be prepared to live your life in the way some strangers on an internet forum dictate?

IF she marries William, the rest of her life will be based on what the Royal Family requires of her, why should she 'apply herself for the good of others', when these 'others' will write her off in an instant if William and she break up?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
Why should working for her parents not be regarded productive?
It could be considered productive if she did work for them......Does she??
Old 09-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Aristocracy

So Hello magazine says.
Quote:
In this week's issue, number 1037, HELLO! reveals Prince William's 26-year-old love has been working full-time at her parents' multimillion-pound business Party Pieces for several months.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Would you be prepared to live your life in the way some strangers on an internet forum dictate?

IF she marries William, the rest of her life will be based on what the Royal Family requires of her, why should she 'apply herself for the good of others', when these 'others' will write her off in an instant if William and she break up?
There are so many words being thrown around it is getting ridiculous......Hate, jealousy, dictate.......etc.....We are having a discussion about a 26 year old lady who could be close to the throne. We are free to disagree without really investing strong feelings. (Personal opinion) I said it before, if she is happy doing whatever it is she is doing and the potential in laws have no problem, so be it.
However being a public figure and showing no distress when the papparazzis are clicking away, I believe she gives us the right to discuss her and state our opinions positive or negative like we do with all the royals.
If she becomes one at the end or not is not within our control and we will find someone else to discuss..
Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
So Hello magazine says.
May I ask how come Hello magazine knows what is going on within the walls of a privately held company? One owned by the family of the person we are discussing?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Aristocracy

You would have to ask them. They quote "friends" but then the press always does though I guess Hello is more reliable than most which of course doesn't mean that what they write has to be accurate. There were pictures of her at Party Pieces from back in July. How do you know that Kate isn't productive?

I guess at least one has to be honest and admit that there is no proof what Kate does 24/7 either way. Some say she works for her parents other papers write she's shopping, vacationing and partying (though she wasn't photographed doing such very often this year). So any statement on her productivity is nothing but speculation or hear-say.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
There are so many words being thrown around it is getting ridiculous......Hate, jealousy, dictate.......etc.....We are having a discussion about a 26 year old lady who could be close to the throne. We are free to disagree without really investing strong feelings. (Personal opinion) I said it before, if she is happy doing whatever it is she is doing and the potential in laws have no problem, so be it.
However being a public figure and showing no distress when the papparazzis are clicking away, I believe she gives us the right to discuss her and state our opinions positive or negative like we do with all the royals.
If she becomes one at the end or not is not within our control and we will find someone else to discuss..
That is how many of the posts come across, jealousy and dislike, if not hatred for a young woman nobody on here, (or other forums and media outlets), knows. Because nobody knows anything about her or what she is doing with her time, it seems to bring out the worst in some people.

Yes dictate is the right word to use, IMO, because that is what many seem to be trying to do. If this young woman is happy and healthy, not claiming state benefits and in love with/loved by her beau, then why is it so hard to wish her well. Why must she live her life the same way that millions do, but wish they didn't? Would she approve of the lifestyles of many of those who post on forums such as this, would she even care?

What an awful thought, that if she shows her distress at being pursued or photographed, people would find her more acceptable, when all she is doing is presenting the ubiquitous stiff upper lip, that was/is synonymous with the British!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Royal Highness

coming from a family that has some financial comfort - since we all have differing opinions on whether or not she's wealthy - working or not working/part time or full time is an option that many people would love to have. why is it that people find it such a bad thing if she chooses not to work? it doesn't make her less worthy, or less interesting, or less capable than if she was working. it just makes her unemployed.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Commoner

Quote:
is\However being a public figure and showing no distress when the papparazzis are clicking away, I believe she gives us the right to discuss her and state our opinions positive or negative like we do with all the royals.
You are trying to tell me that because she smiles there is no distress. Maybe she smiles because she is a lovely young lady with great manners and it always easier to smile than look miserable all the time. It certainly looks better than been sulky and having a cigarette in your mouth because youre distressed. You also mentioned been productive .What is your definition of productive ? Maybe it is trolling the internet trashing someone who hasn't even utter a word.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

< ed: Warren > I like this royal message board more than any other I've visited on the internet. I think there's an emphasis here on allowing people to express opinions but also on keeping the entire discussion civil and measured. Although it happens sometimes, I see far less of the "you like Kate so you must be ________" or "you dislike Kate so you must be _______" nonsense here than I do at other websites, and I'm glad of that.

William and Kate's relationship is a controversial topic for many, and it's inevitable that some of us are going to disagree. But I appreciate how careful the vast majority of the posters on this board are to respect boundaries even while discussing touchy subjects.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think the Hello story about Kate working 9-5 is probably a carefully planted "PR" story - so well done Clarence House PR machine! Assuming Kate has actually been working with her parents for a while, it is good that this is being clarified - and hopefully that will put a stop to all the gossip about how she spends her time - not that it was anybody's business. Hopefuly this well give the DMail something to think about - and perhaps think about how they might "update" their smear campaign!

Coming down to the hours she actually works, I don't think the press will ever get the full story. In practice, given that it is a small family business, I suspect she works as long as she needs to get the job done - and on some days it will be more, and on others, less - and I am sure they all muck in!

It would be interesting to see if she were to marry William, and if she were to take an interest in the Royal collection - providing a link with her degree... only time will tell!
I agree it was probably an effort by some media-skilled people either around her or William to get some positive press about her "career."

I've worked for my parent's business, so I know what it means to work for your parents. It's not exactly the most strenuous position in the world, unless your parents run a farm or some other hard labored business. If I were in that position, I would do the same thing. I mean working for your parents while waiting for the inevitable engagement is smart. Afterall why start something serious when you just have to give it up anyway?

I just hope this engagement is inevitable for her sake, and not in her mind. Hopefully she knows something we do not...
Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Majesty

She does seem to have a focus in her life: William.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
It doesn't touch the actual problem, the lack of focus in her life and that's - thanks for pointing out Kezza - Kate's problem and not caused by the paparazzis or implications of dating a prince.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Could we please tone down this exchange of accusations? I think we're all aware that there's a range of feelings and a range of motivations on both sides of this issue, and it isn't very productive to start getting into "you must be saying that because you're ignorant or jealous" or "I know someone in a similar situation and she isn't behaving like Kate so therefore there's something wrong with Kate." Attempts at mind-reading and the deployment of inductive reasoning run wild are really not helpful. If everyone could please take a deep breath and cool down, it would be much appreciated.

We've removed a few of the most personal of the posts. If this sort of thing keeps up, you can expect to see the mods back here with the pruning shears at the ready.

Elspeth
for the British Royals mod team
Old 09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think the Hello thing will help Kate at all, because it doesn't change what people think about her either way.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezza View Post
I don't think the Hello thing will help Kate at all, because it doesn't change what people think about her either way.
Exactly, most of us think she's perfectly fine, despite the TRASH that is written about her by sleazy tabloid HACKS and the online hater/stalkers.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Closing to clean up. Sigh...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

It's mystifying how a woman we know so little about and who has barely said a word in public manages to stir up such intense passions.
Whatever the reason, it's in everyones' interest that discussions - and disagreements - are conducted in a reasoned and civil manner.

Quite a few offensive posts have been removed and the thread is being reopened in the expectation that members will express themselves without resorting to personal invective.

thanks,
Warren
Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Talking

Designers at Birchcroft China are so convinced Kate Middleton will become a permanent addition to the Royal household they are producing the ornaments.

Kate Middleton feature's on thimble set - Telegraph
Old 09-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Majesty

Mystifying indeed. I certainly don't understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
It's mystifying how a woman we know so little about and who has barely said a word in public manages to stir up such intense passions.
Whatever the reason, it's in everyones' interest that discussions - and disagreements - are conducted in a reasoned and civil manner.

Quite a few offensive posts have been removed and the thread is being reopened in the expectation that members will express themselves without resorting to personal invective.

thanks,
Warren

Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press