The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Nobility

I think Kate is endanger of getting osme really really bad PR by not working, i know we all keep going on about it, but at the end of the day Kate is 26 and had not had a proper job, given that the RF, like many others, try to be as "in touch" as possible this is truly a bad thing. How many other women her age dont work or havent had a job at some time or another?
I understand that there ma be issues with Kate working in a company, such as the Wessex Fake Shiekl affair etc but why cant Kate work for a charity or similar organistion? She has a good degree and is, it seems, a bright girl. Clearly she doesnt need a wage, so she could work for a charity with little problem about money.
I think the days of the British people accepting a Queen who has no snese of what having a real, normal, job is like, are over.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm probably the only one who thinks working for her parents is normal, I mean I do it (during the summer) but still, I mean if I want I can work for them or I can go find another job but to me if she works for her parents it's no big deal. Anyways back to William propsoing if he feels the time is right then he will do it. All I want and all I think we all want is for him to be happy I don`t want to see another Diana and Charles saga in a few years.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

I really feel that Kate´s trouble is that she wants to be free to do whatever William wants, go on holidays, go to parties etc etc and a job would interfere with this. In fact, I think she is trying really hard to get him and in the end it might go against it.
At the beginning of their courtship I felt that everyone was pleased but it is this Kate in waiting image that is beginning to annoy people. She did have a job for a short time but with the understanding that she could go off with William whenever she wanted to and the other staff were a bit put out. I can´t give any details of where it was as I have completely forgotten but I do remember reading this, probably in a tabloid so it may not be true and then more recently there was the story of her wanting a job as a photographer but with the time off when she needed it.
She is a very pretty girl, she is Prince William´s girlfriend, but so far she hasn´t shown herself to be the right stuff for a future Queen of England or at least I don´t think she has.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Majesty

What is the 'right' stuff for a future Queen?

To me the 'right' stuff is being in love with the person who will be King and not in love with the position. Having that person love you in return.

Being accepting of the fact that duty comes first and realising that your position upon marriage means a lifetime of public scrutiiny and public duty with really no actions off limits to the press and the public.

I have seen no evidence that Kate doesn't have the 'right' stuff.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I'm probably the only one who thinks working for her parents is normal, I mean I do it (during the summer) but still, I mean if I want I can work for them or I can go find another job but to me if she works for her parents it's no big deal.
I'm with you on this one. I think it's actually quite a good move on her part. If her parents are helping to support her current lifestyle, it's a good thing for her to help out by working at Party Pieces and pay them back even a little bit.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Royal Highness

i think it's wonderful that you work for your parents. i can't for the life of me see what the problem would be with it.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Isn't "working for your parents" the same as "working in the family business"? In a sense, William's doing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i think it's wonderful that you work for your parents. i can't for the life of me see what the problem would be with it.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Isn't "working for your parents" the same as "working in the family business"? In a sense, William's doing the same thing.
It really is sort of the same ... I've thought before that Kate's devotion to her family is probably one of the attractions for Prince William. Maybe working for her family is a good segue to eventually working for the family?

HM The Queen
Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I really feel that Kate´s trouble is that she wants to be free to do whatever William wants, go on holidays, go to parties etc etc and a job would interfere with this.
And you know this how?????
Old 08-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
What is the 'right' stuff for a future Queen?

To me the 'right' stuff is being in love with the person who will be King and not in love with the position. Having that person love you in return.

Being accepting of the fact that duty comes first and realising that your position upon marriage means a lifetime of public scrutiiny and public duty with really no actions off limits to the press and the public.

I have seen no evidence that Kate doesn't have the 'right' stuff.
Absolutely correct. And the Kate haters who while up on their high horses repeatedly foment this no-job/"right stuff" drivel, if Kate went out tomorrow and got a full-time job (working for her parents notwithstanding) and began to work for a charity, those same "right stuff" moaners would crucify her. It's not about Kate not working or Kate living off of her parents, it's ALWAYS been about Kate, ordinary, middle-class, any-girl, non-aristo, non-titled, non-surname hyphenated, non-blond, non-buxom Briton, who snared a prince on her personality and looks alone while at school with thousands of other young girls, all who I'm sure mercilessly threw themselves at William, to no avail, and some people will NEVER get over a real life fairytale of Kate now interacting with upper British society, moving behind palace gates, and one day walking beside William as he opens Parliament.

Jealousy, snobbery, and caste are very much alive. THOSE are Kate's only "problems."
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
And you know this how?????
Well she didn´t tell me personally but it was recently in a newspaper, an old boss and a prospective boss found this a drawback. Actually it was the other employees in the first case and the actual prospective employer in the second. In the first case the employees complained that they had to do all the work and cover for her.
I didn´t keep the links as this young lady doesn´t interest me enough to keep a scrap book but I did see and read this, probably a tabloid as they seem to be the most interested in her doings.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Serene Highness

The bottom line is the fact that we will not know whether or not Kate is fit to be a royal until she becomes one. Until she gets the chance to prove herself in the actual postion, we won't see if she is an unmitigated disaster or if she rises to the occasion.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
The bottom line is the fact that we will not know whether or not Kate is fit to be a royal until she becomes one. Until she gets the chance to prove herself in the actual postion, we won't see if she is an unmitigated disaster or if she rises to the occasion.
I agree wholeheartedly with what you say Kime but with just a couple of changes. Substitute the first two "untils" with "if" .
She has been with Prince William for some time now and I can´t but feel that it would be a personal tragedy for her if nothing comes of this, the press and all this talk as if everything is cut and dried is not helping the girl one bit. She is the Prince´s special friend, let them get on with their friendship without this endless talk about marriage and being Queen etc. Many Princes have had many girlfriends, not all of these have ended up their Queens or consorts. I believe Kate and her family are aiming high, and in my personal opinion perhaps just too high, but time will tell.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

That's true, Menarue. Without the ring, it is by no means a done deal. I was speculating on the result should she make it up the aisle.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
Jealousy, snobbery, and caste are very much alive. THOSE are Kate's only "problems."
It seems to be those of the same or lower social class of Catherine that complain the loudest, IMO.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
It seems to be those of the same or lower social class of Catherine that complain the loudest, IMO.

Well not exactly. This is a blanket statement that may not apply to some of us who find that another commoner in a royal family is one too many..........
Old 08-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Well not exactly. This is a blanket statement that may not apply to some of us who find that another commoner in a royal family is one too many..........
Unless some of you are royalty yourselves, the comment remains true.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Unless some of you are royalty yourselves, the comment remains true.
Unless Kate became royalty or even an aristocrat while I was asleep you are absolutely correct.
However if we assume Kate is still the daughter of the Middletons with a fortune of say about $5,000,000 then the statemet for some of us is absolutely wrong. Enough said.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Unless Kate became royalty or even an aristocrat while I was asleep you are absolutely correct.
However if we assume Kate is still the daughter of the Middletons with a fortune of say about $5,000,000 then the statemet for some of us is absolutely wrong. Enough said.
As you will know, unless you were born or married into the upper class, it really doesn't matter how much money you may have, you are still not royalty or upper class. Which puts many in the same or lower social class as Catherine.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Well she didn´t tell me personally but it was recently in a newspaper, an old boss and a prospective boss found this a drawback. Actually it was the other employees in the first case and the actual prospective employer in the second. In the first case the employees complained that they had to do all the work and cover for her.
I paged back through the archives of my blog to see if I could find the links to the articles you're talking about. I assume the first article you're referring to is the Evening Standard interview with Belle Robinson, Kate's old boss at Jigsaw. If so, no employees complained; in fact, the only potentially negative statement was this one from Robinson: "She genuinely wanted a job but she needed an element of flexibility to continue the relationship with a very high-profile man and a life that she can't dictate." I'd say this interview is pretty reliable -- the words are coming straight from Robinson (albeit perhaps framed by the reporter).

As for the second you're referring to, I think it may be the ridiculous Mail piece written by Richard Kay and Co. that tried to be an "expose" of the Middleton sibs. Here's the vague reference to a photographer refusing to hire Kate:

Quote:
For her part, Kate has been trying to reinvent herself as a photographer, helping out at her parents' firm by taking pictures for their website of the cakes James has iced. Believing that her relationship with Prince William was bound to help, she has been canvassing top studio photographers with a view to being taken on as a trainee. Surprisingly, the Royal Family's huge influence cannot be made to stretch this far.

'One important photographer was listening well enough until she explained she wanted to do a four-day week and would have to be given leave whenever William was in town,' reports a close figure. 'He sent her away with a flea in her ear.'
The entire article is a mash-up of various tabloid "stories" about Kate over the past months, including a retread of the "Queen wants Kate to work" story that's been published and refuted and published again in the Mail alone. I tend to think that Kay and his fellow writers here are working from Robinson's quote and skewing it. There's no direct source quoted here, and the prospective employer (if there ever really was one) isn't named.

HM The Queen
Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press