The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggymay View Post
Chelsey has become involved in Harry's support for the soldiers at war, and helped raise money for them as well, so can't see why Kate can't do the same. Also, they've got William busy next year getting involved in work to prepare him for kingship roles. How on earth can he fit in charitable ventures if he's busy elsewhere. Kate could be of real help here. Even in the publicity part of the charity, esp if overseas, like travelling over there and taking pictures that cover the beneficaries of that charity, afterall photography is her thing.
What I meant by "behind-the-scenes" was that Kate could certainly do some charity work in the way that Chelsy has -- in a less public role than William or Harry have with their charitable interests. Kate's already worked with them that way in the past; she helped coordinate the Concert for Diana, if I remember correctly. But I'd also argue that William doesn't have a pet charity yet the way that Harry does with Sentebale -- maybe next year, when we see his royal work increase, he'll take on a bigger role with one organization. But Kate won't be able to work with charities the way that William does until she becomes a royal herself.

I imagine that, because someone somewhere is waiting to criticize everything Kate does, if she were to take on a noticeable role working for a charity, they'd accuse her of playing princess.

Quote:
It would show initiative and prove herself as a person in her own right, which she really needs to do, because when I'm wandering around different forums and sites, the image and support she gets on this site is not as widespread as you think.
I'm perfectly aware of the negative internet cult that has sprung up around Kate, but I'll still argue that the posters on those sites and the tabloid journalists who write negative stories do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the public as a whole. I won't argue that I think everyone likes or should like Kate, but I'm loathe to consider the nasty and totally uncalled for barbs written by some on the internet and in the tabloids about Kate as representative of a public mood.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Majesty

Right. It's rather sexist, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
Just what you said -- the power to decide the course of her relationship. How do we know that it's not Kate telling William that she wants to wait before they get engaged? People always assume it's the other way around, I think because of how the media portrays their relationship, with the whole "Waity Katie" business and all of the tabloid interviews with "royal sources" and "close friends."

Old 08-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

It really is, Mermaid. I'm not sure she is the one delaying an engagement, but it could be her or both of them, not necessarily William all by himself.

My pet theory about the reason that they've not gotten engaged yet (besides still being pretty young) is that they're not ready to start having children and being parents yet. I'd expect the Firm would want them -- to be medieval about it -- to "produce an heir" not long after getting married. Perhaps Kate isn't ready to be a mother yet, and that's part of the reason they've not announced an engagement.

HM The Queen
Old 08-13-2008, 02:21 AM
Courtier

My opinion is the Firm could be waiting for William to complete all his basic training in the various Armed Forces so that once he marries he can focus completely on his marriage and working full time for the Firm doing royal engagements etc.

Stellad
Old 08-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Courtier

Perhaps, an engagement shall be announced after Prince William completes his work experience next year with the Diplomatic Corps.

It would be nice if his wedding was before the Olympics in London in 2012.

Cheers,
Emeralds and Opals
Old 08-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
How do we know that it's not Kate telling William that she wants to wait before they get engaged? People always assume it's the other way around, I think because of how the media portrays their relationship, with the whole "Waity Katie" business and all of the tabloid interviews with "royal sources" and "close friends."
I agree with that. Many seem to forget that nothing we believe to know about William and Kate is for certain. All the stories about their relationship and feelings for each other etc. are nothing but tabloid fodder. Of course it is possible that William withholds a possible wedding, but it is just as possible that Kate is reluctant to marry into the Royal Family. After all a wedding between these two is more than just a public declaration of their love for each other, it'll change their whole life. As long as Kate is "just" the girlfriend she can vanish for a week or two at her parent's house and escape her crazy "public persona". As a royal she wouldn't have that opportunity anymore.

Quote:
Chelsey has become involved in Harry's support for the soldiers at war, and helped raise money for them as well, so can't see why Kate can't do the same.
Excuse my ignorance but how has Chelsy helped with Harry's charity?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeralds and Opals View Post
Perhaps, an engagement shall be announced after Prince William completes his work experience next year with the Diplomatic Corps.

It would be nice if his wedding was before the Olympics in London in 2012.

Cheers,
Emeralds and Opals
Assuming Will & Kate plan to marry, they need to work through the dates carefully. 2010 will be an election year, and I doubt if HM would like to have a wedding very close to an election so as not to take the focus away. So my guess is either no later than autumn 2009, or late summer / autumn 2010 afer the elections
Old 08-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
Excuse my ignorance but how has Chelsy helped with Harry's charity?
I posted a link to an article in Harry and Chelsy current events 2: May 2008 page 3. on 7/4/2008 - post #56.
Chelsy was said to be organising a series of nightclub evenings to raise money for the armed forces.

Also a photo of Chelsy [can't find now], which was posted onto this forum, showed her wearing a wrist band which someone here said represented either a charity ? re the soldiers injured from current wars or was one of Harry's other charities.

The other reason I like the idea of Kate getting involved in charities, even by just showing support for them, would earn her praise. It's something you can do which doesn't have set hours, and wouldn't reduce the time she got to spend with William whenever he gets time off. Getting stuck into helping with the events of organisations that are already set up, afterall she did get involved for a while with that boat race and got good media coverage and respect. Pity it wasn't able to be followed through.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
She doesn't really have a relationship with the public right now. The media has latched on to her and has published photos and stories about her, but so far, the only way Kate has entered the public eye is by choosing to date a royal prince.
I disagree. I think Kate very much has a relationship with the British public. I don't think she particularily enjoys it, but it's there!

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to judge her until they are engaged and she starts participating in the public world of royalty. Right now she's a private citizen, albeit one who gets lots of scrutiny that she hasn't asked for, IMO.
How can we not judge her! We live in a 24/7 news cycle and Kate is out and about. She is like Madonna: Everything she does, says, eats, discards etc. etc. is news!

Quote:
And while there is a faction within the media and on the internet that chooses to speak in a negative and sometimes demeaning manner about her, I'm not sure those voices represent the "public" as a whole.
I think Kate could get rid of much of the unfavourable press by getting a job!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Majesty

If she gets a high-profile job in her field i.e. curating a museum or something, the place will be besieged by paps and gawkers and others will say that she got the job only because of her connections. If she gets an entry-level job, she'll be accused of just filling in time and getting the job to look busy (because she doesn't need the money). If she works or studies without publicity, then it's assumed that she doesn't do anything. From what I've seen of Kate, I can't imagine the girl sitting around all day watching t.v. and eating chocolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
I disagree. I think Kate very much has a relationship with the British public. I don't think she particularily enjoys it, but it's there!

How can we not judge her! We live in a 24/7 news cycle and Kate is out and about. She is like Madonna: Everything she does, says, eats, discards etc. etc. is news!

I think Kate could get rid of much of the unfavourable press by getting a job!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Majesty

This is quite possible. Once they got married, or even engaged, people would be talking babies.

Quote:
My pet theory about the reason that they've not gotten engaged yet (besides still being pretty young) is that they're not ready to start having children and being parents yet. I'd expect the Firm would want them -- to be medieval about it -- to "produce an heir" not long after getting married. Perhaps Kate isn't ready to be a mother yet, and that's part of the reason they've not announced an engagement.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She is not like Madonna or any other public person because she doesn't get to answer back. She has no spokesperson, no officials to tell her side of things. When we are judging Kate we do so only with the information that media have decided to show us and never with anything from her side.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
If she gets a high-profile job in her field i.e. curating a museum or something, the place will be besieged by paps and gawkers and others will say that she got the job only because of her connections. If she gets an entry-level job, she'll be accused of just filling in time and getting the job to look busy (because she doesn't need the money). If she works or studies without publicity, then it's assumed that she doesn't do anything. From what I've seen of Kate, I can't imagine the girl sitting around all day watching t.v. and eating chocolate.
It is for her OWN sake, I think she should get a job! Becoming a royal is an uphill struggle as it is, Denmark's Crown Princess Mary came with an impressive CV and yet she is having problems - so imagine what it will be like for Kate to enter royal life without the confidence and self-esteem you get from having had a job? All these commoners, who marry princes, have to bring something fresh to the table in order for the monarchies to stay in tune with the times - and if all Kate can bring is an "Access all Areas" passport from London's trendy nightclubs, then she and the British monarchy - in MY opinion - will be in dire straits.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
She is not like Madonna or any other public person because she doesn't get to answer back. She has no spokesperson, no officials to tell her side of things. When we are judging Kate we do so only with the information that media have decided to show us and never with anything from her side.
She can tell us by showing us a good example. Living off your parents' money and your boyfriend's position plus shooting the odd photo for mum's and dad's catalogue is not a good example - in MY opinion.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
I agree with this completely. I've often wondered how hard it must be for Kate and her family to sit back and take the negative, spiteful things written about them without replying. But that ability to sort of turn the other cheek to the media is something that will be an incredible asset to Kate if she and William do get married.

HM The Queen
Old 08-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Majesty

Kate has dignity and discretion, and that's something that no amount of employment or life experience can teach.

Quote:
I agree with this completely. I've often wondered how hard it must be for Kate and her family to sit back and take the negative, spiteful things written about them without replying. But that ability to sort of turn the other cheek to the media is something that will be an incredible asset to Kate if she and William do get married.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
- ...so imagine what it will be like for Kate to enter royal life without the confidence and self-esteem you get from having had a job?

are you saying that someone that doesn't work outside the home doesn't have confidence and self esteem? i understand what you're saying but since, and i'm only assuming here so please don't take offence, that since since we've never heard from her we don't know whether she lacks confidence or self esteem. i would say that she's got lots of self confidence or she wouldn't be in the position she's in...self esteem on the other hand is an entirely different matter and the best job in the world can't give you that.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
are you saying that someone that doesn't work outside the home doesn't have confidence and self esteem? i understand what you're saying but since, and i'm only assuming here so please don't take offence, that since since we've never heard from her we don't know whether she lacks confidence or self esteem. i would say that she's got lots of self confidence or she wouldn't be in the position she's in...self esteem on the other hand is an entirely different matter and the best job in the world can't give you that.
Absolutely not. Having been a homemaker myself for 10 years, I know exactly how fulfilling it is to raise your children and look after your family. There is no better feeling that tucking a happy, tired child up in bed at night after a long day. What I am saying, however, is that someone in Kate's position could do with the confidence and selfesteem you gain from facing the challenges of a work life and dealing with them. Yes, she has a degree, but university life is still a sheltered existence. Showing up at a royal palace without that kind of "make up" you get from interacting with other people in sometimes stressfull situations and from solving problems, while multitasking, is in MY opinion not the best start for a princess. For Kate's sake - and for William's - she could find a job and stick with it for at least a year. It will do her a lot of good. and make her a better princess if and when the time comes!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Kate has dignity and discretion, and that's something that no amount of employment or life experience can teach.
It goes without sayint that Kate is discreet and dignified - otherwise she would not have made is as "far" as she has with Prince William. These assets can not be learned from having a job, I agree. But other very important skills,badly needed in a monarchy that wants to stay alive and well in our modern society, can definately be picked up. It will in MY opinion make her a much better princess !
Old 08-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Heir Apparent

I wonder why so many negative augurs are around when so far Catherine has not set a foot wrong in public. To claim that the monarchy is going to be in dire straits if certain Royals or potential future Royals do not do as some plain commoners think they should, people who don't even know them!, is really preposterous IMHO. There are a lot of people around whose professional interest is it that the monarchy should be as stable as possible - including the goverment of a monarchy whose duty is it to see that the situation stays stable.

Obviously these people don't think there is need as yet to interfere with Catherine and William's relationship, so I can't see that there is a real need or reason for badmouthing her.

It's Catherine's life, her decisions, her plans and her price to pay so far and I believe people should accept that and not trying to patronize her when in fact they have no idea where Catherine stands at the moment and which internal problems she faces. She has not yet asked for the public's help, so let her alone.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press