William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that William and Kate will be sort of "marketed" by the royal family as very much a package deal if/when they marry. No one wants to see another spouse eclipse a royal, I have a feeling. Plus, the public already have a major interest in and affection for William, so they'd surely want to see him along with his wife.

I suppose I am just more curiouss to hear her, since we know a lot about him from years of interviews. I guess we'll fine out soon, or not, how they will handle her PR. :cool:

They tend to answer one or two selected questions, I don't recall any of the UK couples giving normal interviews
Charles and Diana gave a sit down television interview in a garden room/pagoda at Buckingham Palace on the eve of their wedding with two journalists.

Charles and Diana gave a sit down television interview in a garden room/pagoda at Buckingham Palace on the eve of their wedding with two journalists.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of! That's the interview where Diana talked about wanting to be a good wife and taking cooking lessons, isn't it?

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of! That's the interview where Diana talked about wanting to be a good wife and taking cooking lessons, isn't it?

Was this the same one when Charles' did the famous quote "whatever love means"? I recall Diana wearing something in royal blue.

Was this the same one when Charles' did the famous quote "whatever love means"? I recall Diana wearing something in royal blue.
That was immediately after the announcement of their engagement where they did the same interview for the BBC, which was then repeated on all the other stations.

The exact words said have been skewed over the years, as I am sure you will know, (Whatever 'in love' means). As with most of these interviews, the interviewer is advised what questions are acceptable, which was why the pair of them were 'caught out' when the silly love question was asked.
Charles 'amazed' by Lady Di's yes | UK news | The Guardian
THE Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer ended months of media speculation on February 24, 1981, by announcing that they would marry. - Liverpool Echo.co.uk
Ella Kay said:
I can't find any article covering this interview where Diana talks about taking cookery lessons, (which she had of course already done), perhaps you may be able to find a link.:flowers:
------------------------
However, this is still the William & Catherine guessing thread and having read some of the comments on forums they might just elope!

That was immediately after the announcement of their engagement where they did the same interview for the BBC, which was then repeated on all the other stations.

The exact words said have been skewed over the years, as I am sure you will know, (Whatever 'in love' means). As with most of these interviews, the interviewer is advised what questions are acceptable, which was why the pair of them were 'caught out' when the silly love question was asked.
Charles 'amazed' by Lady Di's yes | UK news | The Guardian
THE Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer ended months of media speculation on February 24, 1981, by announcing that they would marry. - Liverpool Echo.co.uk

Thank you Skydragon :flowers: It might be off topic but I'd like to add the pictures of that day as at least for me this whole thing is so strongly associated with Diana's royal blue outfit.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/S...lqt8ifr5az0SBx8agD-OOA82LmPVv8PdVVdoiEEAAA.#1

I wonder if there will be a similar appearance / same location for William and whoever.

Thank you Skydragon :flowers: It might be off topic but I'd like to add the pictures of that day as at least for me this whole thing is so strongly associated with Diana's royal blue outfit.
I wonder if there will be a similar appearance / same location for William and whoever.
I had a look around for the transcript of the interview, but can't, as yet find one. :flowers:I recall thinking she should get that fringe seen to!:D

I have strong hopes for an engagement between William and Catherine, but my main hope/wish, is that whoever they marry they truly love them!:flowers:

Edward and Sophie also gave an interview. It's included on the wedding DVD.

Those images bring back memories. How different Diana looked, she didn´t look sophisticated at all (well, she wasn´t at that time). Kate Middleton has established a sophisticated look already in anticipation.
In the book by Lady Colin Cambell (I think) it said that Diana had a tray of engagement rings sent for her to choose and she chose the most expensive one which by luck looked very much like her mother´s. Exciting business that for any girl, I wonder if Prince William´s chosen will get a similar tray.

I don't think any of the interviews could, in the remotest sense be considered 'normal' interviews. These occasions are very rarely 'off the cuff'. As we have heard from the interviewers themselves, (wasn't one stopped after she pursued Charles & Camilla to ask a few more questions?), they are given/told a list of acceptable questions, this would have been even stricter back in 1981. :flowers:

Diana looked so "coy" back then, after so many years it is strange to see her as a young engaged girl before the wedding. How she changed! Lovely voice. Prince Charles looking so young too.

She really did change so much as she grew older (grew up, really -- it's hard to believe sometimes how very young she was when she married).

So, anyway, do we think that W&K would do a similar interview should they get engaged? I would imagine that this kind of tightly controlled press piece would be William's preference. But I wonder if it would be the BBC this time or another network.

Here we go - it was re-aired as a part of the BBC's wedding coverage:
Thanks for that Ella Kay, she said she had already taken lessons for cookery which is probably why I don't recall her saying she would take cookery lessons. She would of course have known that her days of doing the cooking were over. :flowers:
So, anyway, do we think that W&K would do a similar interview should they get engaged? I would imagine that this kind of tightly controlled press piece would be William's preference. But I wonder if it would be the BBC this time or another network.
If and when, I think it would be expected of them, although I think the controls put in place will be greater - they wouldn't want a 'whatever in love is' moment! The BBC might not get the exclusive this time.

The BBC might not get the exclusive this time.

uuuhhh what szenario are you thinking of skydragon :ohmy:

If the Beeb doesn't get it who should? For those who can't afford pay TV there is Channel 4, maybe a go-live during Big Brother? All others can choose between E! Entertainment or The History Channel, with a highlight summary on Sky News.

Oh my gosh please let's have those oldfashioned royal correspondents from the BBC and let them ask some modern society questions like have you done internet chatting when you were dating or did William propose in person or via email?

uuuhhh what szenario are you thinking of skydragon :ohmy:

If the Beeb doesn't get it who should? For those who can't afford pay TV there is Channel 4, maybe a go-live during Big Brother? All others can choose between E! Entertainment or The History Channel, with a highlight summary on Sky News.

Oh my gosh please let's have those oldfashioned royal correspondents from the BBC and let them ask some modern society questions like have you done internet chatting when you were dating or did William propose in person or via email?
With Freeview, the choice is there for them to make. Sky news (a free channel) got Harry's 21st interview, ITV, STV, Channel 4 & 5, Grampian, the list is endless.

I understand Tom Bradbury at the BBC knows William personally. I think a couple we can be sure won't get an exclusive - Richard Kay & Katie Nicholl(s).

Perhaps we should have a thread with suggested questions such as - 'Do you love one another', 'are you happy together'! :D

I'd be surprised if anybody other than the BBC were given the exclusive. After all, as inconceiveable as it seems these days not everyone has Sky, cable or a Freeview box.

I'd be surprised if anybody other than the BBC were given the exclusive. After all, as inconceiveable as it seems these days not everyone has Sky, cable or a Freeview box.
If you have digital TV, then you can get SKY news, you do not need a freeview box. As Analog has already been switched off in many places, by the time of an engagement interview (if there is one), digital will rule and Sky will be in the running. After all, I don't think the beeb has been fully forgiven for the secret interview it did air!:flowers:

See here's my thing too the whole why doesn't he show more affection, while I would perfer to see them being more touchy I know alot of people who just aren't very touchy with each other doesn't mean they don't love each other, or maybe William is just the type of guy that doesn't like showing his feelings to the whole world again doesn't mean they aren't in love, but I do get why people don't like the fact they're very reserved. Again we barely really know the couple apart from what we see in pictures.

Thank-you so much for this link, Ella Kay! I'd never seen the entire interview and so was very pleased to look at it. It's bitter-sweet, of course, because both Charles and Diana were young and appeared to be sincere--Charles looking forward to having Diana's company during his appearances, and Diana wanting to be a "good wife." :flowers:
Here we go - it was re-aired as a part of the BBC's wedding coverage:

And also Andrew and Sarah. The one from Edward and Sophie was even broadcasted on german TV in 1999.

honestly when i look at miss kate and prince william, i don't see a couple in love...i mean i know prince william has requirements like getting married and his wife producing an heir but still...can't we have a royal couple who looks in love?

I guess I'm just not sure what you think a couple needs to do to "look in love," MissSimone. The two of them appear together at public events, go on holidays together, have been seen with each other's families, and have been photographed kissing and touching. What must they do to really seem like they're in love? :ermm:

I think looking "in love" is very subjective...

I suppose it is subjective but when you see a couple in love you usually notice, they haven´t eyes for anyone else and have a certain look about them. Prince William and Kate do not have the body language either. No one could doubt that the Queen was head over heels in love with Prince Philip, even now so many years later looking just at photographs you can see it. Remember the look on Alexandra Manly´s face at her wedding, the marriage didn´t last but that look was one of unmistakeable love.

I suppose it is subjective but when you see a couple in love you usually notice, they haven´t eyes for anyone else and have a certain look about them.
Oh dear, most of the couples I know are in trouble then! :whistling:

Oh dear, most of the couples I know are in trouble then! :whistling:

Sky I am talking about when they are dating or just married, even just on their wedding day:wub:.
NOT just before they marry or even the day after. :whistling:

william comes across as very reserved and not given to public displays of affection...he seems to take after his father this way, and completely unlike his mother who was very tactile but who knows what he's like in private.

Well, my mom always said that you expect couples in love to at least look at each other once in awhile even if they're both shy.

Mom was struck at the engagement interviews of Charles and Diana by how little Diana actually looked at Charles whereas he was looking at her a lot. During the wedding she didn't seem to look at him a lot either and one of her biggest most radiant smiles came when she was halfway down the aisle and Mom said, she's still not looking at him, she's looking at the congregation.

I don't know how much William and Kate look at each other in public but if they can't do that, I'd be worried about them. It's natural for couples to steal little looks at each other even when they are in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom