The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
And isn't a war torn country in a recession? And who said Britian was in a recession?

None the less, hopefully by the time that Wills marries, the state of the economy will be better, rather than worse.
are you saying that the uk is NOT suffering the same economic downturn/recession that north america is suffering right now? has the price of a tank of gas decreased in the uk? are people not being laid off their jobs? has the price of food not increased in the uk???? wow....what the heck am i doing in north america if the economy is so great in the uk!

the point, which you missed, is that at the time of HM's wedding, the city of london in particular was ready for a celebration to help lift the spirits of people that had suffered the devestating bombing by the germans.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Royal Highness

didn't sophie stay there prior to being married to edward?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
didn't sophie stay there prior to being married to edward?
Do you mean Buckingham Palace? Yes she did.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Commoner

I hope we do see a big wedding, but I'm most concerned about SECURITY and TERRORISM. Are they going to have to wear bullet proof vests under their wedding clothes? Are the subways going to have to be shut down? Are the buildings going to have to have snipers on top of all of them? There aren't enough cops to cover the crowds along the route (even though I know Charles told them to stand further apart, as was mentioned in a previous post) and I know the footmen on the carriages were bodyguards. I know they had bomb sniffing dogs all over the place before Charles and Diana's wedding, but can you imagine the logistics of security that would have to be dealt with NOW? I'm afraid there is a lot more to be worried about now than there was back in 1981. I hope that doesn't keep them from having a big, splashy wedding. I would love to feel that excitement again and see all of the preparations and watch the news coverage, etc.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I don't necessarily think the fears of terrorism are greater now than they were in 1981. Remember, only a few years before Charles and Diana married, Lord Mountbatten and several of his family members were murdered by the IRA. And a man fired shots (though I believe eventually they were found to be blanks) at the Queen at Trooping the Colour in June 1981.

I think there's certainly reason today to be concerned for safety during a large-scale celebration in any global city. I was living in London during the 2005 terrorist attacks, so I can attest that there are threats around every day, any time, any place in a city. But I think the concerns would be even more for the masses gathered than specifically for the bride and groom. And I'd hate to think that fear of something possibly happening would stop a royal couple from celebrating their wedding with the people.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

There probably isn't more to worry about now than in 1981 because the IRA was active in 1981 and it wasn't all that long since they'd blown up Lord Mountbatten. The royal family were known targets of theirs, and it was a very real concern back then. I think things have calmed down a lot on that front. I suppose it remains to be seen whether Islamic terrorists think there's any mileage in attacking the royal family, but if they want to do it, there are times when the royals are much easier targets.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They made a short mention on each of the terrestrial channels, not headlines just a mention on the day. Sky discussed it purely because the Mail was complaining about Hello getting the photo rights
I don't know about every where else but the coverage here was a bit more then I expected I guess since Autumn was canadian.I actually think it was headline news in atleast one Canadian news program One news program even called them "Canadian Royalty" and "Our new Canadian princess" I was like what? (I knew nothing about Peter before the wedding so that's why I was like what are they talking about)
Old 08-02-2008, 05:12 AM
Courtier

Interesting how other royal forums are saying today that William is NOT getting engaged anytime soon even 2010 seems doubtful and in fact is getting ready to dump Kate again which is what most of them want.

I am so disappointed in William if he lets her go. But let him move back into Clarence House I hope Kate does not wait for ever in vain she can do better than him.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:35 AM

I hope that Kate's being one-quarter Jewish does not create any religious or cultural differences/problems for them or their children.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:45 AM
Serene Highness

Kate was raised in and belongs to the Church of England. There will be no religious problems.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by baroness carole View Post
I hope that Kate's being one-quarter Jewish does not create any religious or cultural differences/problems for them or their children.
would that really make a differance if she is not practicing Judaism? Or is she actively practicing it? If she is i am way out if the loop
Old 08-03-2008, 03:27 AM

Kate's mother is half Jewish and grew up in a household with Jewish customs, beliefs, and values, which are part of her, and would be passed on to her children, even if Kate identifies with the Church of England. I know this from personal experience.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:36 AM
Aristocracy

The only religion a future wife of William is not "allowed" to have is Catholic. Anything else is (legally) not a problem. Of course their children would have to be brought up with the Anglican (?) faith.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Kate's mother is half Jewish and grew up in a household with Jewish customs, beliefs, and values, which are part of her, and would be passed on to her children, even if Kate identifies with the Church of England. I know this from personal experience.

If the Peerage, is anything to go by(see below), it doesn't seem Carole or Kate really grew up in household with Jewish customs etc. It looks to me like the Goldsmith's assimilated into England.

) Kate's parents, Michael Francis Middleton and Carole Elizabeth Goldsmith, married at Dorney Parish Church, Buckinghamshire, on 2 June 1980.
2) Her maternal grandparents, Ronald John James Goldsmith, a lorry driver, and Dorothy Harrison, daughter of Thomas Harrison, married at Holy Trinity Church, Southall, Middlesex, on 8 August 1953.
3) Kate's maternal great-grandparents, Stephen Charles Goldsmith, a general laborer, and Edith Eliza Chandler married at the Registrar's Office in Uxbridge, Middlesex, on 27 March 1909.
4) Her maternal great-great grandparents, John Goldsmith and Jane Dorset, married at St. Mary's Church, Paddington, London, on 18 September 1882.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Since when has Kate's mother been half Jewish. The press have been all over Kate's family history and I have never seen it mentioned anywhere. The only place it seems to come up is on certain royal forums.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
The only place it seems to come up is on certain royal forums.
As it has here, just a few hours ago . Maybe we were next on the list.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde View Post
If the Peerage, is anything to go by(see below), it doesn't seem Carole or Kate really grew up in household with Jewish customs etc. It looks to me like the Goldsmith's assimilated into England.

) Kate's parents, Michael Francis Middleton and Carole Elizabeth Goldsmith, married at Dorney Parish Church, Buckinghamshire, on 2 June 1980.
2) Her maternal grandparents, Ronald John James Goldsmith, a lorry driver, and Dorothy Harrison, daughter of Thomas Harrison, married at Holy Trinity Church, Southall, Middlesex, on 8 August 1953.
3) Kate's maternal great-grandparents, Stephen Charles Goldsmith, a general laborer, and Edith Eliza Chandler married at the Registrar's Office in Uxbridge, Middlesex, on 27 March 1909.
4) Her maternal great-great grandparents, John Goldsmith and Jane Dorset, married at St. Mary's Church, Paddington, London, on 18 September 1882.
By the sound of it the Jewish faith was left way behind in her family, but this information certainly puts and end to any talk about her being from an upper class family ,or even lower middle class.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
As it has here, just a few hours ago . Maybe we were next on the list.
Exactly Warren.

Hey mischief makers and Kate Haters: you're not fooling anyone.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

I object, I dont think that anyone can hate someone they dont know, but I think that it is perfectly legitimate for some people not want her to be their queen.
There is certainly nothing wrong with having either jewish ancestors or working class family. It would be nonsense to dislike (or was the word "hate" mentioned) a person because of these two factors, you would certainly have to hate a lot of strangers. I have a feeling there is more to it than this. Just this morning I read an article about her accepting free dresses, whether this was because they hate her, or even dislike her, I just dont know, but I read it as a criticism and that was the British Daily Mail.
Do you think they published this because they hate her?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

I thnk Luv2Cruise was referring to unsubtle message board whispering campaigns rather than what is appearing in the London tabloids.

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press