The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think they'll get married at St. Paul's, personally. As for whether it will be a large or small wedding, if they get married after Charles is King, it'll be massive. If they get married before Charles is King, it'll be massive. Prince William is not a minor royal in the BRF. This is the future King of England. I can't imagine anything less than what his parents had.

I can understand however, how some people don't think they should have a huge wedding because they'd be the ones footing the bill for it. However, how many times do weddings of that scale happen? Not often, I would venture to guess. I'm not British though, so perhaps my opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 07-30-2008, 04:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I don't think I'll be disappointed; I don't really personally have anything at stake here, as I'm not British and don't have to pay for the monarchy. I'm just speculating that I believe British taxpayers might be more willing to pay for a wedding of this nature than they would be willing to pay for other royal expenses.
A very unscientific poll amongst the people I met up with yesterday, (most of whom celebrated the big event when Charles & Diana married), and their 'children', out of the 40+ people there, only 3 were in favour of the expense of a big wedding. They did however agree that the tourists would probably flock to London to see it, (by tourist, that is anyone who does not normally reside in London). They also all agreed that 'everyone' would complain about the cost.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Nobility

Use the wedding wisely

The thing is, we don't have our royal families in order for them to be private. Their function is to be out on the stage for us all to se them. I think people would be massively disappointed, if William did not have a huge knees-up of a wedding. Having said that, he could use the occasion to do some good as well. How about making sure that all the attending guests come away from the event with a neutral carbon foot print? Or asking for donations to charities instead of presents?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Gentry

As long as the wedding is paid for personally by Charles or the Queen with minimal cost to the public, there should absolutely be a huge fantastic wedding.

Plus, when William does eventually marry, the economy will hopefully be in better shape, then people won't really be able to complain.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
As long as the wedding is paid for personally by Charles or the Queen with minimal cost to the public, there should absolutely be a huge fantastic wedding.
It would be interesting to know exactly how much of the cost of these fabulous weddings is paid for by the family and how much is paid for by the people. I suppose we can't know those things about the '81 wedding or the '86 wedding, because the Queen's finances weren't made public yet, were they? Can we ever know how these costs are covered? I wonder if the numbers for state weddings and funerals are crunched and publicized separately.

It's entirely possible that personal money, like the Duchy of Cornwall income, could be used to pay for a chunk of the wedding, I suppose.

Regardless, I think people will still want to see a big fat royal wedding for William, no matter who pays for it.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Nobility

I'm not sure about Britain, but I heard that in Sweden they asked for public funds (to be diverted from the family's earnings) for a possible wedding, so my guess would be that it is paid for by the people, though at the expense of the family, as they would loose some of their previous income. (Or that's how I understand it.) I suspect that any other tax-funded monarchy would be similar.

Personally I don't care about the taxes for the monarchy. No one would much give a damn about my country without people like the Queen, Prince William, etc, so I really don't care, and I hope there is a HUGE wedding no matter what.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Serene Highness

I find the topic of the state of the economy impacting a royal wedding disturbing. When the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were married, Britain had just come out of the war and the country was essentially bankrupt. It was even still necessary for the bride to save ration coupons for her dress. Yet they managed to have a state wedding with all the trimmings. Yes the wedding will cost money, but the wedding will also make money. The wedding will need clothes, food, photography, transportation, security, lodging, flowers, jewelry, all generating sales and income tax. This is not even including the millions of pounds worth of plates, mugs, spoons, T-shirts and tea towels of memorabilia that will be sold before, during and after. Forgive me, but if we are talking about a depressed economy, a royal wedding is the mother lode of all economic stimuli.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Royal Highness

there's a big difference though between coming out of war where your city has been virtually devestated by bombing as they were when HM and the Doe were married, and marrying during a recession.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
there's a big difference though between coming out of war where your city has been virtually devestated by bombing as they were when HM and the Doe were married, and marrying during a recession.

Okay. How so?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

And isn't a war torn country in a recession? And who said Britian was in a recession?

None the less, hopefully by the time that Wills marries, the state of the economy will be better, rather than worse.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
I find the topic of the state of the economy impacting a royal wedding disturbing...
I think time and attitudes towards the monarchy have changed since HM & Philip married, even since Charles & Diana.

Yes the wedding will make money, for the government and some people, (mainly London based), but it will be all taxpayers expected to allow their money to be used. We have failing schools, a failing NHS, a struggling military, failing transport, failing government pension scheme, sky high fuel (petrol, diesel, home heating oil, coal, electricity, gas) and negative equity for many poor souls, fuel poverty for many more. They may not like to use the word recession but that is the only word that fits. Many have been used to good times and will, IMO, be most upset at using their money to fund the wedding of the son to the heir. Williams father and grandparents could probably buy and sell everyone without blinking.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Courtier

I think the days have past of televising a wedding worldwide and making it such an over the top event like Diana & Charles went through. I can see a photospread in Hello and some live coverage on the news though...
Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

We do get news coverage of the royal family, especially William and Kate, in America, though. They're in gossip magazines, and William's on the cover of People fairly frequently. I don't know about worldwide coverage, but I do think that people in America would want to watch it live. Even Sophie and Edward's wedding was live on television here.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I think time and attitudes towards the monarchy have changed since HM & Philip married, even since Charles & Diana.

Yes the wedding will make money, for the government and some people, (mainly London based), but it will be all taxpayers expected to allow their money to be used. We have failing schools, a failing NHS, a struggling military, failing transport, failing government pension scheme, sky high fuel (petrol, diesel, home heating oil, coal, electricity, gas) and negative equity for many poor souls, fuel poverty for many more. They may not like to use the word recession but that is the only word that fits. Many have been used to good times and will, IMO, be most upset at using their money to fund the wedding of the son to the heir. Williams father and grandparents could probably buy and sell everyone without blinking.
I definitely agree that time and attitudes towards the monarchy have changed, and not for the better IMHO which I find very sad. Maybe because the history of my own country is so very new in comparison to the rest of the world that I just can't see throwing away a millenium of royal tradition and history. Where is the national pride? Would you really see your future king married austerely in front of the rest of the world leaders? Times are tough in many countries right now, but sometimes that best salve for troubled pockets is to be able to see your home country in a positive worldwide spotlight and actually celebrating something for a change. I said it earlier, and at the risk of sounding a bore, I'll repeat myself. The less attention the subjects of a monarchy give it, the quicker it will fade away. You mentioned earlier that tourists came to Britain to see the historic sites, not the royal family. Probably true on its face, but that attraction will start to wane when there is no more living history to go along with the historic sites. The UK is also fortunate enough to have a monarch as a non-partisan ambassador to present a good will positive face to the world. Would you prefer to just have your Prime Minister being the only one that represents you? Trust me, when the entire world despises your Head of State, it's hard to keep your head up when you travel internationally.

According to recent statistics, the UK has over 60 million in population. Even if a royal wedding reached the wildly exaggerated and completely unbelieveable cost of 60 million pounds, that is still only 1 pound per resident. If the majority of the UK were to begrudge William 1 pound per person as a wedding gift, then it should be no wonder if he decides that it is not worth his life's dedication to be their sovereign. As you said, his father and grandparents could buy and sell everyone, so it is not as if he needs the civil list.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't know about anywhere else but here for us seems like they are very intrested in William and Kate so if he chooses to marry Kate many channels here will want to see the wedding, I mean everytime a little rumour of a ring comes up it's all over the news here. I remember ctv I think cancelled normal programming just to show Concert for Diana and her memorial service (I know not really the same thing) but I know for sure here they still love the royal family, I mean all they talked about was William and Harry throughout the whole thing I was kinda tired of it I'm like we get the point! but then again I'm not complaining. They even dedicated parts of the news hour program to Peter and Autumn and lets face it they're no William and Harry so I can't imagine what they'd do if it was William's wedding.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I definitely agree that time and attitudes towards the monarchy have changed...
I agree with your observations. The wedding would most certainly stimulate the nation's economy. Not only in the most obvious short-term capacity, but in the long-term as well since it would revive/refresh interest in the monarchy. I wish I had an exact figure to quote, but I recall reading that travel to GB increased quite a bit in the years after Charles and Diana married.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Majesty

I believe that there should be a public, televised wedding when William marries. It needn't be as extravagant as Charles and Diana's wedding, because William isn't the Prince of Wales; but I think that Royal Weddings are important to give people a sense of community and something to look forward to.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Where is the national pride? Would you really see your future king married austerely in front of the rest of the world leaders?
Well, I don't believe many have a sense of national pride. In the US, I noticed that most of you have your flag in the front garden or on the porch, here we do not even fly the union jack on public buildings. If a council does fly the flag, someone will complain, threaten a lawsuit because it is not pc and might offend someone! The other problem is that so many aren't interested in Kings or Queens that might happen goodness how many years down the road. It will depend, IMO, on whether the economy is steadying or even recovering slightly. If there is no recovery on the horizon, I think the British will do what they do best.... complain, enjoy the festivities and then complain some more! You mention the population of 60+ million, don't forget many of them are not taxpayers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost night View Post
They even dedicated parts of the news hour program to Peter and Autumn
They made a short mention on each of the terrestrial channels, not headlines just a mention on the day. Sky discussed it purely because the Mail was complaining about Hello getting the photo rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I believe that there should be a public, televised wedding when William marries. It needn't be as extravagant as Charles and Diana's wedding, because William isn't the Prince of Wales; but I think that Royal Weddings are important to give people a sense of community and something to look forward to.
'We' don't do a sense of community here.
--------------------
I don't mind what type of wedding he eventually has, it's always a good excuse for a new hat and frock!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Okay. How so?

i'm not sure if you've ever seen the pictures and heard the stories about what the city was like after the germans bombed it. people needed something to celebrate to help them forget the horrors of war.

this is a recession not a bombing....lavish shows of wealth might be offensive to a lot people. layoff's, gov't cutbacks, mortgage foreclosures are not the same as a devastating bombing of your hometown. isn't that why HM and the DoE chose to forego a large anniversary celebration????? i'm not saying that IF this wedding happens, or whenever william marries, there won't be a huge celebration but i think the economic situation in the UK will definitely determine the scale and grandeur of the event.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
well unless the world news has been wrong, the uk is in the same economic state as north america...recession, downturn in the economy...call it whatever you like. my point was that HM's wedding came at a time when the people of britain could use a celebration.
Charles and Diana's too, I believe. Wasn't there rioting taking place in certain parts of the country?

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press