The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'm putting in a punt for the Abbey. It's been the location of some sad moments, but it's also the coronation church, and I think it would be lovely to see the couple married in the church where they will one day likely be crowned.

Plus, it's the place where William's grandparents were married on both sides of his family (well, sort of -- I can't remember if Frances and Johnnie were married in the Abbey proper or over at St. Margaret's). There's such a grand sense of history in that church, and I think it's a gorgeous location for a wedding.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Nobility

I think this is more likely

List of churches in London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Gentry

I was checking some of those out as well randomlyKeira. I think the problem with many of those would be size.

My vote is for Westminster Abbey, it's most traditional. (not like I get a vote, but it's fun to speculate anyway!)
Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Heir Apparent

I heard William wants St. George's Chapel, but I doubt that will hold the amount of people that will most likely be invited to the wedding.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

The number of people who will be invited will depend on the location.

The number of people who believe they should be invited to the wedding of the second in line to the throne is a different matter.

I think, after the failed marriages and the big weddings, that smaller occasions are on the cards.

A lot of people are also questioning the cost of the monarchy so a large splash on a wedding might be seen as overkill in these more anti-spending money on the monarchy times.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
A lot of people are also questioning the cost of the monarchy so a large splash on a wedding might be seen as overkill in these more anti-spending money on the monarchy times.
But I do think that a big royal wedding for Princess Diana's son is something that the people will want and will be willing to pay for. I'd even venture to say that it would be expected.

HM The Queen
Old 07-29-2008, 05:14 AM
Nobility

^I agree. People would be insulted to have a small St. Georges wedding, I feel. Weddings are realy the only time that the people of the country are able to feel complete elation for the monarchy, in all it's grandure. Having a small wedding would throw many into fury.

There is the possibility of a legal ceremony at Windsor, and a large religious thing in London I suppose. Many other royal couples have done this in diffrent countries.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Nobility

I hoping for a big wedding for william and i also hope that it will be next year! I can always hope right!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlyKeira View Post
^I agree. People would be insulted to have a small St. Georges wedding, I feel. Weddings are realy the only time that the people of the country are able to feel complete elation for the monarchy, in all it's grandure. Having a small wedding would throw many into fury.

There is the possibility of a legal ceremony at Windsor, and a large religious thing in London I suppose. Many other royal couples have done this in diffrent countries.
They can't do the legal bit at Windsor, as was the case with Charles and Camilla, as that would mean opening Windsor up to the general public for weddings for a particular period of time.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress View Post
They can't do the legal bit at Windsor, as was the case with Charles and Camilla, as that would mean opening Windsor up to the general public for weddings for a particular period of time.
But they won't have to, because for them as first time bride and groom a Church wedding is no problem and sufficient under British law, as I just learned.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Considering the relationship between the monarchy and the Church of England, I don't see any alternative to a CofE wedding unless William decides to take his title "of Wales" seriously and get married in the largest church in Wales. Not that I think that's remotely likely.

I don't see any advantage to a register office wedding followed by a church blessing; it isn't as though either of them is prohibited from being married in church for any reason, and if they're going to use a church, they might as well get married in it. Something tells me that Southwark Cathedral probably won't be in the running either, which pretty much leaves Westminster Abbey and St Paul's as the alternatives. My money would be on Westminster Abbey since it's the traditional location for royal weddings these days.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
But I do think that a big royal wedding for Princess Diana's son is something that the people will want and will be willing to pay for. I'd even venture to say that it would be expected.
I think you might be disappointed, many will question why 'we' are expected to pay vast amounts for a wedding, no matter who his parents are.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Didn't Charles pick St. Paul's because the seating capacity was larger?

I'm betting William's will be a monster-sized wedding.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

It was also because of the music.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm betting William's will be a monster-sized wedding.
Monster-sized wedding cost monster-sized amounts of money. If William gets married in the next few years, with the way things are in the UK at the moment, I wonder if people are going to have a problem paying for a large wedding for him when they are having to cut-down on things for themselves?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Serene Highness

The economy is certainly not at its best these days but it is not as if the heir to the throne gets married every year. A sure fire way to damage the monarchy would be to act as if it is not that important anymore. A lot of people want the pomp and circumstance that a royal wedding brings whether they will admit it out loud or not.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Courtier

Prince Charles picked St. Pauls because his Uncle's mass was held at WA and Diana was not crazy about WA because her parents were married there and she believed it was bad luck.... even the police told PC that they could not put enough men form the castle to St. Pauls his response was stand further apart ....both William's parents did not care for the Abbey for their own reasons and now William has his own. My money is on St. Pauls
Old 07-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I think you might be disappointed, many will question why 'we' are expected to pay vast amounts for a wedding, no matter who his parents are.
I don't think I'll be disappointed; I don't really personally have anything at stake here, as I'm not British and don't have to pay for the monarchy. I'm just speculating that I believe British taxpayers might be more willing to pay for a wedding of this nature than they would be willing to pay for other royal expenses.

In lots of ways, these weddings are as much festivals for the people as they are celebrations for the royal family. I think, based on the past reactions of lots of the people in Britain to these kinds of events, using their pence to pay for a royal wedding might be more palatable than using it to pay for Andrew's jetting around the world or other recently questioned expenses. But again, that's just my observation.

HM The Queen
Old 07-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Commoner

I agree, I am not British, but i do think it would be easier for me if I were, to have to pay for a grand state wedding, than things like vacations and first class seats. I think people expect it to though, William is popular so why wouldn't everyone, or atleast almost everyone, want a grand state wedding to celebrate. Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Royal Highness

i think you're absolutely right ella. not to get this discussion off track but look at how people reacted to peter and autumn's decision to sell their wedding photos to a magazine. people were going crazy because they assumed that no one in the RF would pony up with the money to pay for a large public display...and they aren't even prinipal players in the big scheme of things. if william's wedding isn't done on a grand scale then imagine what the public will have to say.

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press