The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I can understand why William would probably have a big wedding but I personally would like to see him and his bride (whoever she may be) get married in St. George's. It is such a beautiful church, there's something so very romantic about its architecture, but I guess it will St. Paul's or Westminster Abbey.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Serene Highness

I don't imagine that St. George's could accomodate the number of people that protocol would require them to invite, unfortunately.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Royal Highness

i think you're right about it being westminster or st. pauls. they're the only two places big enough not only to accommodate the guests but the media as well and the city would be able to handle crowds that would gather to see the procession to and from the wedding.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't like the idea of those 2 churches cause St. Paul's seems like all the wedding done there are doomed and Westminster Abbey reminds me of his mother's funeral but I do realize those are the only 2 that really hold everyone who will be invited. I know this sounds pathetic but I've already thought out what I may like the dress to look like.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I don't like the idea of those 2 churches cause St. Paul's seems like all the wedding done there are doomed and Westminster Abbey reminds me of his mother's funeral but I do realize those are the only 2 that really hold everyone who will be invited.
I'm really hoping for Westminster Abbey. I know it must hold memories of funerals for William -- not only Diana's but also the Queen Mother's -- but it really feels like the church of the royal family and the nation in London. It's likely William will be crowned in the Abbey, and it's held many happy occasions before (like his grandparents' and great-grandparents' wedding, for example). Sad as they are, funerals are just a part of the life of a church, and Westminster Abbey is no exception.

St. Paul's is majestic and grand, but I just don't know if a repeat of the famous wedding and carriage ride of 1981 is a good idea...

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Yeah, I do realize that funerals are part of life but Diana's especially for me was just traumatic I mean as we all know young age had 2 young boys come to think of it I had never thought about the fact the Queen Mother's funeral was held there. As for weddings glad to hear his grandparents were married there hopefully the good luck will continue since the Duke and Queen have been happily married for so long. So if that's the case I wouldn't mind Westminster Abbey. St. Paul's like I said I think that church is bad luck when it comes to weddings. My biggest fear is that it won't get the attention from the public that Charles and Diana did cause really that's the thing I'm most excited about since we really haven't seen that much excitement in a while.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Serene Highness

Kate Middleton wishing for a summer wedding

London, July 27 : Kate Middleton, it seems, can't stay way from Prince William for too long, for the stunner is poised to set a wedding date with the royal sometime in summer.

Kate Middleton wishing for a summer wedding @ NewKerala.Com News, India
Old 07-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Commoner

I am a little confused on this debate between Westminster and St. Paul's for William and Kate's possible future wedding? May be a tad off subject , but why has everyone seemed to have nixed St.Paul's immediately? So his parents were married there, other than that what is so wrong? I know that marriage was lets say not so well put together.... but that does not take away that it is a stunning church and for that brief moment in time the whole world was captivated and in love with the whole scene playing out. I know I would rather watch them get married there knowing how the last marriage ended, then watching them in Westminster thinking about Diana's funeral. I know the both churches have been there forever, and have seen many tragedies and happy endings, but the last few years they have both become know for a handful of things, the biggest being Diana's funeral at Westminster(for me anyway). Besides William and Kate are not Charles and Diana.

I really don't know why i care so much I guess i just wanted to put it out there. Sorry it is off the MAIN subject..
Old 07-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Aristocracy

I think it will be St Paul's and I don't have a problem with that. The reason I think it will be St Paul's is that Westminster Abbey just hasn't got the capacity for a wedding the size of Williams - which is why Charles had St Pauls in the first place.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 AM
Courtier

Does William really need to have a big wedding? I can understand why Charles did, he is the heir but couldn't William a smaller, but larger than normal, wedding somewhere like St. George's? Do the British people want a large Royal wedding?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Does William really need to have a big wedding? I can understand why Charles did, he is the heir but couldn't William a smaller, but larger than normal, wedding somewhere like St. George's? Do the British people want a large Royal wedding?
I think it has to do with the number of people who would expect to be invited to the wedding of a future king: heads of state, British dignitaries, tons and tons of people. I don't think that William is at his leisure to choose to have a smaller wedding. His wedding's going to be a state occasion no matter what. Edward and Sophie didn't have to have the super-huge wedding, because Edward isn't expected to inherit -- he's too far down the line of succession. But William is expected to be king someday, like his father, so he's going to need to have the whole shebang.

And the British people certainly will want it, I think (and people around the globe). Most of them love William, and I think his wedding has the potential to be an even bigger phenomenon than his parents' was.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

For me the reason why I said no to St. Paul's is due to me reading an article printed in Hello Magazine talked about how it's cursed when it comes to weddings bla bla kinda freaked me out, I'm a little paranoid when it comes to those things, but I'd rather William do St. Paul's and remember how happy his parents the whole world were for a split second rather then remember walking behind his mother and great grandmother's coffin at Westminster Abbey. I was watching Charles and Diana's wedding on youtube and I couldn't beleive how many people from around the world were invited. I think William is quite liked around the world and especially of lately here there has been great press intrest on a possible upcoming wedding so I can't imagine how it will be like when it actually happens so I'm pretty sure the world would like to see a grand wedding for him, plus he is future king...maybe not for a while but still.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Aristocracy

I suppose there are pros and cons to both St Paul's and Westminster Abbey because of the memories they hold and/or the potential comparisons to be made. But if I had to guess, I'd put my money on W.A. as I believe William will want to avoid any comparisons to his parents' wedding. Besides, it wouldn't exactly be a reminder some members of the RF would be thrilled with.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Gentry

Does it have to be St. Pauls OR Westminster Abbey? Would there there an alternate location large enough to accomodate a wedding as large as William's? That way, there is not bad memories or comparisons to his parents.

I am sure however it will be one of those.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Nobility

^I heard that Kate prefered St. Pauls, she thought Westminster was too "dreary" or something, and William would probably not want his wedding in the same place as his mother's funeral (ie Westminster). I place my bet on St. Pauls.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky View Post
Does it have to be St. Pauls OR Westminster Abbey? Would there there an alternate location large enough to accomodate a wedding as large as William's? That way, there is not bad memories or comparisons to his parents...
Well, since he will be king, I don't know of any other options. St George's is much smaller and I doubt it would be a popular choice with the public. Not that that should dictate it, but it is a factor for someone in William's position.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Gentry

Where was it said that Kate preferred St. Paul's? I'd be surprised if she had said anything in public even remotely wedding related.

Canterbury Cathedral is beautiful:

Canterbury Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Nobility

no, it was what a "friend" said, so not completely relieable, but I still think taht William might not like the memories in Westminster

Yes, Canterbury is lovely, but I doubt it would be taken out of London, wouldn't it?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think they'd take it out of London. I don't think any other places have the capacity for as many people as would flood the area.

For various reasons, I think they have to go with Westminster or St. Paul's. I'd prefer St. Paul's myself (mainly because of the steps leading to the door), but I wouldn't mind Westminster Abbey so long as they don't put that hideous canopy outside like they did for Andrew and Sarah.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Few other cathedrals in UK which they can probably choose

List of cathedrals in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press