The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
if catherine's working with her folks then it's great but the 10 am to 7:30 is no big deal...most people work that every day....or longer!
Working hours here tend to be 9 to 5 or the equivalent. 48 hours is the maximum allowed per week by law, unless you sign an opt out.
Working hours and time off : Directgov - Employment

Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Nobility

Could Kate Middleton's father get a title, if William and Kate Marry?

Could Michael Middleton get a title (an Earl, Viscount, Lord, Marquess, etc..) if William and Kate marry? I know that her father doesnt come from nobility. but could the queen or King Charles, depending on when the wedding happens, give Michael a title. I dont know if they can do that. considering she is the first commoner in long, long while to possibly get this chance.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Majesty

He could receive a title, but I don't expect him to.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do you mean she's the first commoner to get the chance to be queen? I'm not sure I understand the last statement.

I don't see why the Queen (if William marries before she dies) or his father would grant her father a title. What has he done to deserve being elevated to a peer aside from fathering someone who may be the future Queen of England?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Nobility

first commoner in a long time to marry a heir to the british throne
Old 07-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Majesty

Strictly speaking, not true. Both Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon(the future Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother) and Lady Diana Spencer were commoners, but they were born noblewomen, aristocrats.

Miss Middleton will be the first non-aristo commoner to marry the heir to the Throne if she in fact does.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm about to go a bit off topic but I promise it's related to Kate and William. I was searching for something related to Prince William and I came across an article about it on a royal forum and I've honestly never seen such criticism in my life. They have no respect for Prince William or Kate for him they think he's out of touch and for her they awful very mean nicnames. Anyways something that caught my eye was their conversation about the relationship and I have this to say if he wasn't in love with her or what not he wouldn't have kept her for so long William is not stupid no one is forcing him to be with Kate so that leads me to beleive he truly does want to be with her. Anyways sorry about my rant. Anyways a few days ago I found this article and although it is quite old I thought they brought up some good points about their potential future or atleast some things which have gone through my mind in the past. Royal Anecdotes Dangers for Prince William and Kate Middleton
Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Nobility

I apologize if this is off topic Warren. I think all of this stuff is quite fascinating. I suppose William would be the one to grant Kate's father a title, if anyone. I know of another royalty website where this question would be answered absolutely correctly, but I don't think it is proper for me to cite to it on the open board.

I found this -- not sure about the site, but:

"Titles in the English Peerage (and less)"
"A commoner is someone without a title. Thus you can be at the top of the aristocracy, as the Queen Mother grew up, but still be considered a commoner if you (or your father) have not yet been granted a title.
All of us here in America are not merely commoners—we are baseborn, as was William Shakespeare. That is, we’re the bottom of the food chain in the English class system. But we don’t care."
Choose an English Peeerage Title

This rings true, especially in regards to the Queen Mother and Princess Alice, who were derisively referred to by Prince Philip's cousin Princess Marina, I've read, as those "common little Scottish girls."

I'm BASEBORN!!! LMAO
Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Majesty

"Baseborn" was used as well in birth records to refer to an illegitimate birth. I came across this when doing some genealogical research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
I'm BASEBORN!!! LMAO
Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Aristocracy

I know that the situation is slightly different as Kate is will be the future Queen if they married, but I don't think Sarah, Duchess of York's father received a title on her marriage and he was friend of PoW.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
I know that the situation is slightly different as Kate is will be the future Queen if they married, but I don't think Sarah, Duchess of York's father received a title on her marriage and he was friend of PoW.
He wasn't exactly a friend, he was Charles' polo manager for a good few years, 20 or so IIRC.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
"Baseborn" was used as well in birth records to refer to an illegitimate birth. I came across this when doing some genealogical research.
My natural parents were married when I was born and remained happily so until my father died nearly 10 years ago.

But as far as English/British society are concerned, I'm Baseborn!!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Working hours here tend to be 9 to 5 or the equivalent. 48 hours is the maximum allowed per week by law, unless you sign an opt out.
Working hours and time off : Directgov - Employment
skydragon, you need to learn to read between the lines. working from 9 to 5 happens in other parts of the world as well. however, there are a lot of people that must work around those hours to accommodate certain events, appointments, etc so working around those hours is NOT uncommon. in a perfect world, people would their 8 hours and go home but in the REAL world there a thousands of people that work well beyond the normal working day. perhaps since you don't hold a job outside the home you weren't aware of this so i've just done you a great service by letting you in on it.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

No you haven't, I am well aware that people in different industries work different hours. I may never have been in paid employment as such, but I'm afraid the presumption that I do not have a 'job outside the home', is just that, a presumption and an incorrect one at that. Among other things, as an employer, I need to know the different rules and regulations, reading between the lines simply wouldn't wash in a court of law.

The farm workers or labourers we employ don't work 9 till 5, our cook doesn't work 9 till 5, our grooms and many more of our household staff work a variety of hours. The fact remains that if they are asked, on a regular basis to work above 48 hours per week, they have to sign an opt out.

However, the point made was about, guess what.... Catherine and as I presume she holds a 'normal' type job, the ordinary old 40 hour week would apply.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonohrina1987 View Post
I've read on a newspaper that William'll ask to Kate to married him the next year but I don't believe them. but is it true?
people have been speculating about this for ages now sonohrina...it would be great if we could answer you one way or the other. the only people that can decide are catherine and william so we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Majesty

I didn't mean to imply otherwise, Luv2Cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
My natural parents were married when I was born and remained happily so until my father died nearly 10 years ago.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Right so here's my question. Say they do get married will William be wearing the same outfit his father did when he married his mother or is that an option of what you want to wear.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Commoner

What's with the random attacks on people's personal lives ? :( It's enough that we get snippy about someone who will never read this site (i.e. K. Middleton) but it's getting a little hostile in here.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Right so here's my question. Say they do get married will William be wearing the same outfit his father did when he married his mother or is that an option of what you want to wear.
William most likely will wear his military uniform like his father, grandfather and Uncle Andrew. Edward wore a suit, but his wedding was (fairly) low key for a son of a monarch. Also, his military activity was significantly less than the other men. I'm hoping to see a big royal wedding with all the trimmings for William. After all, he is a future king!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks, yes I do hope we see a very big wedding for William, he seems to be low key but just once I want something big and extravagant from him, I mean like you said he is future king so they shouldn't spare any cost on this one.

Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press