The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #461  
Old 07-06-2008, 05:46 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Making cute babies and smiling is not exactly what millions of women worldwide cannot accomplish.........
The detractors of Crown Princess Masako of Japan would disagree with you. She is looked down on specifically for failing to do just this. If and when they become engaged, it will be with the blessing of HM. If Kate is good enough for the queen, maybe she should be given the benefit of the doubt.
__________________

__________________
  #462  
Old 07-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I don't think so. In terms of the british media I don't think that Kate is anywhere near to "being slaughtered" by the tabloids as some posters seem to believe. Because of what she does (being around in paparazzi-friendly areas such as clubs, concerts or events) she is getting the same coverage as other people who are to be found in the same areas, A or B-Vips. My conclusion has always been that if she doesn't like it, she should stay away. It seems that Kate's decision is more and more to go where photographers are around, fair enough, but that brings along some coverage that is beyond her control and people (and posters) should be allowed to draw their own conclusion from what they see and read about Kate on that basis.
The paparazzi hang around any of the 'IN' places, where would you expect a rich young woman to go, the local pub or is she supposed to stay in all the time. She doesn't go where they are, they go where she is likely to be!
Quote:
Well, I am certainly not jealous, it's simply my opinion and by the way, I don't consider myself a "Kate-Basher" for that reason. It's a nasty word, and given I (and probably most other posters) don't know anything about the person Kate or any other royal discussed on this board and I have never taken this or any other exchange of opinion to a personal level. Being critical of and issue and bashing somebody should not be lumped together.
Yes bashing could be considered a nasty word, but so is the constant unfounded criticism that she is not living her life how 'you' want her to.

The altering of facts that seems prevalent in the critics posts ie.
Quote:
"another new "career". Is it career number eight or nine, sorry, I lost track"
or
Quote:
"mark an end to Kate's WAG lifestyle. At the moment I don't see much difference between Kate and these footballer's wives, both enjoy to take on every freebie opportunity along the way"
All of it baseless, unless you have access to Catherines diary, thoughts, apartment and bank balance, but I suspect just like the mail it is far from the truth and very imaginative.
__________________

__________________
  #463  
Old 07-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Duchess's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: xx, Canada
Posts: 1,648
But just because she isn't representing anything now doesn't mean that she won't if/when she marries william. if/when she marries him, the doors will be thrown open to her and requests for her patronage will come spilling in and she will be able to choose the charities/causes that she feels she will best benefit from her patronage. she doesn't need to represent anything right now. she hasn't shown us anything...just because she hasn't spoken publicly on her ambitions and interests doesn't mean that she lacks them does it? diana didn't have great ambition or direction when she first came to the forefront either and look what she did for aids and the fight against land mines? and she had a great smile and made cute babies.
__________________
Duchess
  #464  
Old 07-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina View Post
I have enormous problems respecting people who judge others from what they read about them in the tabloids.
I have enormous problems respecting people who judge others from what they read on Message Boards.
__________________
Please give whatever you can to the DEC's Pakistan Floods Appeal. Millions of lives are at risk
http://www.dec.org.uk/index.html
  #465  
Old 07-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The paparazzi hang around any of the 'IN' places, where would you expect a rich young woman to go, the local pub or is she supposed to stay in all the time. She doesn't go where they are, they go where she is likely to be!
If you go to places like Mahiki and Boujis then don't complain about the photographers who snap your photo when you are leaving. I avoid both places like the plague because they're filled with wannabes and WAGs. Clearly that's an environment Kate enjoys being in.

London is one of the most exciting cities in the world, there are dozens of places in the city with more atmosphere than most of the places Kate chooses to frequent. Most of them are not "dives" either.
__________________
Please give whatever you can to the DEC's Pakistan Floods Appeal. Millions of lives are at risk
http://www.dec.org.uk/index.html
  #466  
Old 07-06-2008, 08:27 PM
kimebear's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Albany, United States
Posts: 1,382
Unfortunately, I think the problem here may be that wherever Kate goes, that is where the papparazzi will go. The circle that she travels in are followed wherever they go, so to say that she goes to the popular places in search of attention may not be completely accurate. I'm inclined to believe that if next week she and William starting making the "Little Pub Under the Stairs" their haunt, soon after you would be reading how "Little Pub Under the Stairs" is London's new hotspot.
__________________
  #467  
Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Mermaid1962's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NearTheCoast, Canada
Posts: 5,189
Some of it's probably envy, but I think that it's also because we've been conditioned to think that a young woman has to have a career in order to be a worthwhile person--even a young woman who doesn't need to work. If this were a generation or two ago, I don't think that Kate would be getting nearly the criticism that she's getting now for seemingly being a lady of leisure. Plus, we've seen so many shots of Diana and Sarah being harassed by the press on their way to and from work before they were engaged to their respective princes, that that is what some expect. In matter of fact, we honestly have no idea what Kate does with her days except when there are pictures taken of her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
i don't understand why some people find it such an awful thing that she's not holding down a 9-5? can someone explain?
__________________
  #468  
Old 07-07-2008, 04:36 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Catherine goes where her friends go, that is the most normal thing in the world. There are other places in London, but as Bouji's & Mahiki are still favoured by Catherines social class, it would be pointless going elsewhere. If they all suddenly went elsewhere, that very fact would move the media as well.
__________________
  #469  
Old 07-07-2008, 04:37 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Annapolis, United States
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Some of it's probably envy, but I think that it's also because we've been conditioned to think that a young woman has to have a career in order to be a worthwhile person--even a young woman who doesn't need to work.
One should never be conditioned to think a certain way. It's fascist. I am old enough to remember when it was frowned upon and women were criticized FOR daring to work outside of the home. I see we have come full circle. Now this young woman is being criticized for exercising her right to live her life as she and her parents see fit. If she works in her parents' business who is anyone to criticize that. Her situation I am sure has been discussed to death and the issue has been resolved by those who rightfully have a say. And I for one am glad that she basically thumbs her noses at all who criticize her because she does not bend to the will of a fickle few who will criticize her regardless of what she does with her life. The point of the women's movement was to free women to make choices about how they decide to live their lives, it was not about and is not about condemning those who chose not to have a serious career.

Secondly, I am unaware that Kate should have to report what she does with her time. For now she is a private citizen and is certainly within her right to live her life as she pleases without the approval of anyone posting on the internet about it.

Third, a person's worth definitely is NOT determined by whether or not they have a career or earn a paycheck. Otherwise career prostitutes and hustlers are paragons of work ethic.
__________________
  #470  
Old 07-07-2008, 04:40 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
the constant unfounded criticism that she is not living her life how 'you' want her to.

All of it baseless, unless you have access to Catherines diary, thoughts, apartment and bank balance, but I suspect just like the mail it is far from the truth and very imaginative.
As anyone else on this forum I don't have access to Kate's diary etc as stated above but why does this make only my opinion "baseless" or "unfounded" and not other opinions, especially those who approve of Kate's lifestyle? Unless there are facts the basis for everyone's opinion can only be what is being written or printed in the papers and this makes your conclusions as founded or unfounded as mine.
__________________
  #471  
Old 07-07-2008, 07:15 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
IMO, because you have stated that "another new "career". Is it career number eight or nine, sorry, I lost track", again "enjoy to take on every freebie opportunity along the way", where are the facts or articles to support this view, even the media has found no evidence of her taking freebies, nor any facts surrounding her career. One job that we know about, is the time at Jigsaw which became untenable after a work colleague started trying to make money out of the association with tales to the media, they could have sacked him, but that too would have been something to lay at Catherine's feet. They also tried to suggest she had got a deal with the purchase of her car, so did I, but it doesn't make it a freebie, just good bargaining skills. We have seen nothing in the media to suggest that Catherine has actually pursued anything other than a career as a photographer, there were suggestions, none of which backed or followed up in subsequent articles, that she had her own mail order company that failed.

To me that makes the claims in your post, baseless & unfounded.
__________________
  #472  
Old 07-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 80
I don't think that it's "awful" that she doesn't work. Heck, I'd love to live a life of leisure and I certainly would take advantage if my parents were wealthy. The difference is Kate is a public person (weather she likes it or not) and most likely will be serving the British public very soon. It would be better if she held down a 9-5 job because it would put her in "touch" with the common person, IMHO. That way, when she is a royal patron of whatever charity or when she is visiting local towns and farms, doing ribbon-cuttings, etc, she will be able to identify with the people.
__________________
  #473  
Old 07-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Al_bina's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 5,648
It is rather amusing to read an exchange of opinions. Well... in my humble opinion ... Mr. and Mrs. Middleton finance the hunt of their daughters for royal or blue-blooded men. Given the historical perspective on the whole situation, there is nothing wrong with it. I am just curious to see whether or not Ms. Middleton and her sister succeed in this hunt.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things" Amanda, "Point of No Return"
  #474  
Old 07-07-2008, 01:41 PM
ZaJa's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York , United States
Posts: 121
How old is Catherine or "Kate"? I can say as a 27 year old it's no walk in the park looking for work and finding steady employment. And I have a college education. I'd cut her some slack in the job finding department. It's something everyone deals with at one point or another.
__________________
  #475  
Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Odette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 2,481
Diana married at 19 and although as she herself put it she was as thick as a plank, she still showed at a young age that she loved children and got herself a couple of jobs . Everyone remembers her holding that child outside the school . All we will remember of Kate is coming in and out of clubs and sitting on the folding chairs watching polo games. This is the difference. It matters not if she goes earn a shilling, if she is so sure she is the next Queen of England she has to work to cultivate a persona that she is worthy of that position.
__________________
  #476  
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Odette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaJa View Post
How old is Catherine or "Kate"? I can say as a 27 year old it's no walk in the park looking for work and finding steady employment. And I have a college education. I'd cut her some slack in the job finding department. It's something everyone deals with at one point or another.
I understand your point but do you think she would apply for a job somewhere and they' say.......Don't call us we will call you because you are 27 and times are difficult?
PR for a non profit would be a good place for her to start or whatever that would make her look like anything other than a party girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
The detractors of Crown Princess Masako of Japan would disagree with you. She is looked down on specifically for failing to do just this. If and when they become engaged, it will be with the blessing of HM. If Kate is good enough for the queen, maybe she should be given the benefit of the doubt.
Crown Princess Masako is a lovely lady very well educated who proved her worth way before she became a member of the Imperial Family. She gave birth to a lovely child and it was the Imperial household that broke her spirit.
In any European Royal Court things would have been much different.
__________________
  #477  
Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,943
Diana took an easy option job working a couple of days a week in an exclusive nursery. Where does working in a nursery show from an early age that she loved children, it only showed that she couldn't relate to adults, IMO.

It causes me great amusement that some of you who work or go to school think the only worthwhile people are those that have to work, whilst the enlightened ones realise that it is the person, not whether they are in paid employment.

For those of you concerned about the odd picture taken in the evening showing her out enjoying herself, (which is why most youngsters work), or at the occasional weekend Polo match, when again, most are out enjoying themselves - I suggest you look at the Current Events page 11 post 204, which show Catherine after a 10 till 7.30 day, working for her parents!
__________________
  #478  
Old 07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,786
Very well said Skydragon I was actually just about to post those pictures here. Random and getting way ahead of myself but am I the only one super excited at just the thought of William getting married lol I think it's the whole wedding portion that's getting me so excited you know what will the bride wear, where are they going to do, will they get the same reception as Charles and Diana did etc I'm scared to death though of pictuing their married life I think that is due to what happened with his parents only it's just always been my fear hopefully we won't go down that road again anyways they're not even engaged but still for me the thought of it all is pretty exciting and nerve wrecking too. Again really random and really to soon to start thinking about it but I really wanted to let out my sudden excitement so sorry about that lol
__________________
  #479  
Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Duchess's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: xx, Canada
Posts: 1,648
part time babysitting and cleaning at the age of 19 doesn't show any ambition, which is what people say catherine is lacking. you can't determine whether or not she's worthy of the position simply because she's not employed. diana's "employment" didn't make her worthy of the position. catherine has never said she's sure she's going to be the next queen of england so why should cultivate a persona? if/when she does become queen consort, she'll have ample time to cultivate.

totally agree with you on the first part Binky however catherine is a common person so she pretty in touch and can easily identify with them as far as that goes.
__________________
Duchess
  #480  
Old 07-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Odette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 2,481
The point I was trying to make is that Diana although she never graduated college she loved children and she tried to get employment being involved with children. She was an affectionate mother. In the position she found herself in, no one expected her to split the atom or find cure for cancer but everyone knew she had a soft spot in her heart for children. That helped her become the patron of a lot of associations and endeared her to a lot of people.
In contrast with Kate who seems to be wandering about waiting for whatever she is destined to become.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009 Warren Prince Harry and Prince William 2017 01-01-2010 11:18 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympics ottoman picture of the month poland pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess claire princess letizia princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden visit wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]