The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isana View Post
It's exactly the down-side of a monarchy that you don't get to chose you head-of-state and not his/her consort either. It's Will's choice and I fear that she makes him happy is all that matters.
At the end of the day in democracy you don't have influence either over the consort ... some head-of-state divorce, some remarry, some do this more than once ... don't want to mention any names, but it happens pretty often.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principessa Cano View Post
Whomever William marries isn't just going to be his wife, she'll be a representative of Britain and the Commonwealth. That she makes him happy, unfortunately, isn't enough.
I think the fact that they love one another and hopefully make one another happy will be enough. We saw what happens when the principle characters marry for 'the good of the dynasty'. Catherine is clearly intelligent and that is also one of the most important considerations when talking about a partner to the head of state, someone representing the UK.

Not everyone approved of Diana as wife to the hardworking Prince of Wales. She was seen as a spoiled aristocrat, who lived in one of the best parts of London and played at working, first as a cleaner for her sisters friends, then as a very part time child care assistant, (a couple of days a week), to wealthy families who sent their children to an expensive nursery. She had nothing in common with 'ordinary' people and yet managed to make her mark.

Nothing Catherine can do in the 'real' world can prepare her for life in the royal family, or would you want your head of state working for Walmart? What do people think she can learn from working as a cleaner or child care assistant. What can she learn from working as an AA in a large company, how to file, work a computer keyboard? If she was seen to be in paid employment, what good would it do, she won't have to work out her finances, she won't have to pay utilities, struggle to pay any of her expenses, so what do people expect her to 'learn'?

That, IMO, fuels some of the apparently jealous comments about a young woman nobody knows anything about!

Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Nobility

As usual you've said it well, Skydragon and you too, Isana.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Commoner

Well, my thoughts are if they are to become engaged, that perhaps they will have a better chance for happiness than the Prince's parents did. I only wish them the best, regardless of whom they marry.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Well said Skydragon! And ya I do think they'll be better off then Charles and Diana only because I beleive the fact they've been together longer and know each other better will help them in the long run.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Nobility

I think Kate is well aware that the throne is entitlement to many responsibilities. Along the way she must confront choices that will enable her to prepare herself to lead. Imagining becoming a future Queen must be other worldly and a fantasy that can inspire us to take liking to their creative livelihood. Rather than expecting a fulfillment of stature I think she should worry very little and follow maybe a path that satisfies her own personal interests. I'm sure she can be inundated with suggestions as to who to be and in time we will see a more understanding Crown Princess to be. So enjoy I'd say.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Ya see that's my thing too she should be who she wants to be, I just know the minute that ring goes on her finger thre's going to be comparison to Diana galore and she really shouldn't listen to that she should be herself and not try to be someone else.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Royal Highness

I think Catherine with Prince William's love will be able to be true to herself. She will be a "princess" in her own way, not like Diana, Princess of Wales.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Heir Apparent

^Exactly and that's the only thing I expect from her, to be true to herself
Old 07-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Nobility

Who has a "career" in their teenaged years??? She DID hold the odd jobs and worked on a sailboat and as a server at a bar while in college. She also did some modeling. There are scores of privileged kids who have done absolutely ZILCH during college years. A 50-year old professional who has steadily worked in one profession, over the years has been promoted to successively more challenging and substantive positions within that profession and/OR over the years has built a SUCCESSFUL business has a career. A 19-year old college co-ed has a job. There is a difference. Kate going out and securing some entry-level position to silence her "critics" would not impress me. At all. Nor them. They tore her apart when she went to work at Jigsaw just because it was arranged and part-time. Anyone who thinks that all jobs are secured by merit alone, or that at this point in her life Kate Middleton would get a job on merit alone are in for a rude awakening. It truly is not all about what you know or how well you perform.

So absolutely, the Kate is lazy thing is just a way to continue to bash by young girls who would trade places with her in a nano-second and do without argument exactly as her boyfriend's royal advisers tell her. And would do it with a larger hat and without half the class and dignity as Kate Middleton. I know that like I know the sun will rise tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Courtier

^^Kate hasn't been a teenager for a long while...and although her parents make a good amount of money, she is no heiress sitting on a 100 million trust fund. They worked for their fortune...I can understand that it may hard for her to find the right place of employment because the media will be up her butt and she has to worry about privacy. But other than that, it's hard to defend her on this issue.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
I can understand that it may hard for her to find the right place of employment because the media will be up her butt and she has to worry about privacy. But other than that, it's hard to defend her on this issue.
Exactly and I am getting so tired of anybody expressing even the slightest critizism on the Kate-not-working issue being accused of jealousy or bashing. And regarding finding the right place of employment, it wouldn't be a problem at all. Daniel Westling does it and many other members of royal families, eg the dutch princes, are able to make their own living too. It's not a question of not being able to but not wanting to.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

The difference between other royal families is the difference between the press intrusion and laws governing them here.

You say you are getting tired of the Catherine bashers being accused of jealousy but what else can it be. None of you put your reasons, none of you have given any reason as to why working in a shop or office would make any difference to her ability to be the wife of the heirs son.

We have already ruled out the need to 'earn' money to pay her bills, we have ruled out the 'meeting' different people.

Just because someone works in an office, shop, school etc does not equip them for life, let alone life as wife to a prince. Many of the people on here probably work or attend school but it doesn't automatically make them 'nice' people or consort material.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Cruise View Post
There are scores of privileged kids who have done absolutely ZILCH during college years..
One of mine is a prime example. She has never had to go out and earn her money, that is what my grandparents and parents invested their money for. Even those now in paid employment did not have to work at part time jobs to see them through university and yes they and other lucky friends were envied and bitched about!

Those that say they would continue with the daily slog of work because 'they' don't want to thought lazy, are kidding themselves. Ask anyone who hasn't had to work for a living if they feel 'deprived', I certainly don't.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Serene Highness

We don't know why Kate does not have a job or what she does with the other 99% of her time when she is not being photographed. We also don't know how well a royal consort will do with the "job" until they have it. There have been mixed results regardless of their backgrounds and lives prior to becoming royalty.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
The difference between other royal families is the difference between the press intrusion and laws governing them here.
I don't think so. In terms of the british media I don't think that Kate is anywhere near to "being slaughtered" by the tabloids as some posters seem to believe. Because of what she does (being around in paparazzi-friendly areas such as clubs, concerts or events) she is getting the same coverage as other people who are to be found in the same areas, A or B-Vips. My conclusion has always been that if she doesn't like it, she should stay away. It seems that Kate's decision is more and more to go where photographers are around, fair enough, but that brings along some coverage that is beyond her control and people (and posters) should be allowed to draw their own conclusion from what they see and read about Kate on that basis.

Quote:
You say you are getting tired of the Catherine bashers being accused of jealousy but what else can it be.
Well, I am certainly not jealous, it's simply my opinion and by the way, I don't consider myself a "Kate-Basher" for that reason. It's a nasty word, and given I (and probably most other posters) don't know anything about the person Kate or any other royal discussed on this board and I have never taken this or any other exchange of opinion to a personal level. Being critical of and issue and bashing somebody should not be lumped together.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Royal Highness

why is it such a bad thing if she chooses not to work? a previous poster said that she's not sitting on a million pound trust fund but her parents have obviously made enough money to be able to provide her a life where work is optional....that's not a bad thing...it doesn't make her lazy, or selfish, it doesn't change the fact that she's college educated. i don't understand why some people find it such an awful thing that she's not holding down a 9-5? can someone explain?

Why does she have to stand for anything? she's not going to be making life changing decisions for anyone if/when she does become consort. perhaps she does stand for something....she hasn't spoken out about what her hopes and passions are. just because it's the 21st centure doesn't mean that she has to be out there, with a career and lots of outside interests. all the rights and freedoms she enjoys as a citizen of the UK allow her to enjoy a life of doing nothing if she so chooses. she's not relying on the government to pay for her to enjoy the lifestyle she leads. just because people think that she should be working doesn't mean it's the right way for her to live life.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Royal Highness

Ms Middleton is currently doing art photography. I think she has decided on an art career, so I do not think she is doing nothing at the moment. She is working as an art photographer.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is the difference in thinking between someone like me and someone like you. These ladies if and when they become royals they need to be able to represent something more than playing "dress up" and attend sports events and parties. Royalty's splendour is fading fast because some believe that all one has to do is get a prince to fall in love and THEN come up with a couple of pet projects and all is going to be picture perfect.
Kate has been showing that she has no direction, no ambition no interest in doing anything for HERSELF.........How is she going to convince anyone that she will do anything for the BRF? Making cute babies and smiling is not exactly what millions of women worldwide cannot accomplish.........
Old 07-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
......Kate has been showing that she has no direction, no ambition no interest in doing anything for HERSELF..........
How? By not following the same path you did when you left university? Did you ever stop to think that maybe Kate knows exactly what direction her life is going in and that unlike you she actually knows where her relationship is headed in the next few years. Did you ever think that maybe her life is going in exactly the direction she wants it to? That she has a plan for her life and is following it.

People are so ready to judge who and what Kate is using so very little information. Maybe Kate works for her parents, maybe she doesn't. Maybe she sits on her backside watching TV all day or maybe she works hard in her families business, no one knows. You can't say that Kate doesn't anymore than I can say she does, the fact of the matter is what Kate does with her time is unknown and people really need to accept that.

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press