William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if she isn't paying for the dresses, it's not any different than a lot of the relationships that celebrities here in America have with designers. Issa has gotten tons and tons of press from Kate being photographed in their clothes (especially the pink dress), and I'm sure that press is worth more in the end than the price of the dress itself. But I do remember reading that she paid for the dress, and I do think the Issa line is sold at Harrods, so I think it's entirely possible that she is paying for the clothing.

The Kate-haters (lol!) will try to throw anything just to see if it sticks. Considering how long she and William have been together, they haven't come up with much, have they?

But I do remember reading that she paid for the dress, and I do think the Issa line is sold at Harrods, so I think it's entirely possible that she is paying for the clothing.
That's what I thought about too when reading the bit about her receiving the dress and just loving it. Back in June when the question about who the designer of the dress was came up, it was established the it was Issa and that she had gotten it in Harrods: Kate Middleton Is A Fan Of London Label Issa | AHN | August 3, 2008

but this information certainly puts and end to any talk about her being from an upper class family ,or even lower middle class.
I don't remember any talk of her being upper class but Kate would be considered middle class.

It wouldn't surprise me some snob writers will discover an obscure but royal lineage in Kate if she does get engaged and marry William. Some people just can't stomach the idea of a future king marrying anyone less than aristocratic.

I don´t think it has anything to do with being snobbish, I think that an aristocrat has more chance of surviving, mind you that theory has fallen through with both Diana and Sarah, but I think that a girl from a working class background would find the going even tougher. In other countries it seems to have worked but we are talking about the UK, that has always been a bit different, whether people like it or not.
I have seen many a trumped up family tree, so if she does marry Prince William perhaps her tree will sprout something let us wait and see.

In my view, ISSA capitalizes on the current situation and invests into the future to a certain extent. The label gives a discount on its products to a particular client and expects ROI in the form of other young stylish ladies buying more of its products. Miss Middleton is "It" girl, isn't she? At the same time, it does not mean that Miss Middleton pay nothing for her ISSA dresses, she just gets a nice discount. It is called product positioning in the marketing. It is done by many other labels as well. There is no outcry, when actresses/actors, celebrities,or socialites do the same.

I first heard that Kate's mother was half -Jewish on a You Tube forum below a Kate video.

I am Protestant, 100% English, but my son is Jewish from hid Dad's side. Regardless of the name of the religion, or where they were married, or attended Church, there are still cultural beliefs and influences and ways of living that are passed down.

For example, even though my son is Jewish, he still eats food unique to my
English family tradition, he celebrates Christmas with a tree and Easter. My son asks me if I believe in God and what happens after a person dies. My point is that regardless of the religion, whether a person is married in a Church, or if they are members of a Church of England, family traditions and beliefs and ways of doing things are passed down from the non-Christian side. Even though I am not Jewish, I have a lot of influence over my son and my influence will have an impact on future generations.

If kate is getting clothes for free than shoudln;t she be favouring a British designer? Just my thoughts, though i cant believe the same lady whho apparently refused a first class upgrade would accept free clothes.

...though i cant believe the same lady whho apparently refused a first class upgrade would accept free clothes.

I agree, tommy. Kate seems to realize that she needs to be above board when it comes to situations where she could be criticized for taking advantage of her position as William's girlfriend. I'd be surprised if she agreed to wear free clothing, because she seems to know that the press manages to get a hold of anything that could even be mildly construed as controversial.

That's why I'm more inclined to believe the initial report that she bought the pink Issa dress from Harrods (thanks for the link, Amelia -- that's exactly the story I was thinking of!).

Even if Kate's family has retained some Jewish cultural traditions, she has been raised Anglican. And, as someone astutely pointed out, it wouldn't matter if she were a practicing Jew -- as long as she's not Catholic, William can marry her. (Even that rule is ridiculous these days; it's not as if we're living in the Stuart era, worrying about evil popery influencing the monarchy. But that's a gigantic topic for another thread, I'm sure.)

I imagine that if Kate's family does retain some traditions, it would only be an asset for her as a public figure. Cultural understanding and sensitivity is a great help in today's diverse global world.

I first heard that Kate's mother was half -Jewish on a You Tube forum below a Kate video.
First, I would not lend too much weight to information taken from a YouTube forum which is certainly even less reliable than Wikipedia. A surname's ethnic origin can go back many generations. My maiden name had an English origin that I can trace back in the male line to the 1700's in the US before it goes back to England. However, through marriage, more recent generations of my father's family were culturally Irish, Mohawk Indian & German and first generation Ukrainian on my mother's. Those are the cultures that I was exposed to growing up. Actually, I spoke primarily Ukrainian until I went to school even though my entire name was completely English in origin. So a Goldsmith family name does not necessarily indicate that Kate was raised with any kind of Jewish culture or traditions. If she was, then Ella Kay makes a very valid point. It can only add to her personality and understanding of different religions and customs. Desireable traits in a potential future queen.

I am Protestant, 100% English, but my son is Jewish from hid Dad's side. Regardless of the name of the religion, or where they were married, or attended Church, there are still cultural beliefs and influences and ways of living that are passed down.

For example, even though my son is Jewish, he still eats food unique to my
English family tradition, he celebrates Christmas with a tree and Easter. My son asks me if I believe in God and what happens after a person dies. My point is that regardless of the religion, whether a person is married in a Church, or if they are members of a Church of England, family traditions and beliefs and ways of doing things are passed down from the non-Christian side. Even though I am not Jewish, I have a lot of influence over my son and my influence will have an impact on future generations.

If your son is Jewish through his father's side, he isn't Jewish, at least as far as most forms of Judaism are concerned - unless he's converted, that is. Ditto for Carole Middleton if she's supposed to be Jewish on account of her maiden name (Goldsmith) since that means her Jewish ancestors (if any) would be on her father's side.

Who is a Jew?

A Jew is any person whose mother was a Jew or any person who has gone through the formal process of conversion to Judaism.

Judaism 101: Who Is a Jew?

Wording from the Law of Return:

4B. For the purposes of this Law, "Jew" means a person who was born of a Jewish mother or has become converted to Judaism and who is not a member of another religion."

http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA/MFAArchive/1950_1959/Law+of+Return+5710-1950.htm

Quite apart from which, if a Jew converts to Christianity, s/he is Christian. So I really don't see any problems here as far as Kate being a CofE communicant. Not that it would be a problem if she were a practising Jew, but apparently some people seem to think it would be.

:previous: Nothing like a little little of that most uncommon of commodities . . . . "common sense" to shine a light on all this class/religious obfuscation. :whistling:

That's why I'm more inclined to believe the initial report that she bought the pink Issa dress from Harrods (thanks for the link, Amelia -- that's exactly the story I was thinking of!).
More than likely she purchased the dress at Harvey Nicholls, who also do the range. It just wouldn't be as newsworthy though! :D

I don't remember any talk of her being upper class but Kate would be considered middle class.
Middle class now, but as her ancestors were a lorry driver and a labourer, they were just working class.:flowers: More than this lable, she appears to be the woman William loves and that can break down all class barriers!

That's true for her mothers side, something the DM went into in great detail but what about her father's side. I believe he comes from a middle class family. There never seems to be anything said about her father.

If Kate actually pays for her clothes- where does an unemployed 26year old get that kind of money for designer labels ? Do her parents have to foot the bill for everything ? If her parents are paying for everything, apartment,clothes,food,spending money what does that say about Kate---who just may end up a Queen---she has strange ethics.

If Kate actually pays for her clothes- where does an unemployed 26year old get that kind of money for designer labels ? Do her parents have to foot the bill for everything ? If her parents are paying for everything, apartment,clothes,food,spending money what does that say about Kate---who just may end up a Queen---she has strange ethics.
As far as we now know, Catherine is in employment, but even if she wasn't, as with the daughter of any affluent family, she will receive a handsome allowance and yes, her accommodation and utilities would also be paid for. I can't really see why anyone has a problem with this. If she was claiming Jobseekers Allowance or one of the other benefits from the UK taxpayer, that would be a different matter entirely, but her parents can spend their hard earned money any way they see fit!

More than this label, she appears to be the woman William loves and that can break down all class barriers!

ITA, Skydragon! Sometimes I think the fact that William loves her -- the most important thing of all -- gets lost in everyone else's opinions and ideas. Who cares what class or religion or whatever else she is ... William loves her regardless. :flowers:

Kate and I are close in age, and I know that if my parents were as wealthy as the Middletons are, my mother would be hopping at the chance to get to shop with me for fancy evening gowns. I know lots of people would criticize such a statement, but I don't see any problem with wealthy parents choosing to share some of their riches with their children.

The reason most people, (yes parents are also people), work or invest, is to ensure they have enough money to live comfortably and to give their children every advantage they can or even perhaps that they never had. If that includes a flat/apartment/house, sizable allowance, that is their choice. Every parent likes to look after their children, don't they? What else are you going to do with it all, you can't take it with you when you die!

Isn't it also possible that William pays for some of her dresses at least for those she wears to events they attend together? He does get 500.000 Pounds allowances from his mother's estate after all. I'm sure he can affort a dress or two for his girlfriend.

Isn't it also possible that William pays for some of her dresses at least for those she wears to events they attend together? He does get 500.000 Pounds allowances from his mother's estate after all. I'm sure he can affort a dress or two for his girlfriend.

Gosh in my view this would be totally innapropriate no matter what his income!

Gosh in my view this would be totally innapropriate no matter what his income!
I agree, it would be inappropriate and the press would certainly have picked up on that! :eek:

Why should it be inappropriate? :unsure: If he can invite her on holidays on his expense and buy her gifts why not buy her a dress or two? It's his private money. He can do with it as he pleases.

Why should it be inappropriate? :unsure: If he can invite her on holidays on his expense and buy her gifts why not buy her a dress or two? It's his private money. He can do with it as he pleases.
I suppose it is something that is not done. Once they are engaged, it will not be such a social taboo. Holidays and gifts are seen as acceptable, even underwear, but never dresses or outerwear.:flowers:

I must be getting old.............:ohmy: I cannot understand how a young lady, especially someone who is after the big fish, could ever allow herself to accept "a dress or two" from a beau.
There are some lines that should not get crossed. Accepting clothes because one is invited on vacation or at a party is a major faux pas and hopefully Kate will avoid stepping into that trap.

I suppose it is something that is not done. Once they are engaged, it will not be such a social taboo. Holidays and gifts are seen as acceptable, even underwear, but never dresses or outerwear.:flowers:
I tend to disagree. I think it's been done. One of the reasons cited for William's father's second marriage was the question of expenses he was covering. I even read that he paid for her dental work before they married, which was quite evident in the wedding photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom