The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Kimetha
Does parliament document with minutes everything that takes place in parliament? If so, is there a place where one can check what was discussed on a certain day, so about William & Kate that the public can read? The US Congress has such a place.
Hansard (Debate)

Have fun, and let us all know if you find something good.

ETA: House of Commons Select Committee on Culture, Media and Sport took evidence on 6 March 2007 in respect of its inquiry into Self-regulation of the Press.

The evidence given has not been posted yet, but it should be very soon because evidence taken on 5th March is already there. This is where it should be: The House of Commons - Culture, Media and Sport Reports

Old 03-08-2007, 01:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
Hansard (Debate)

Have fun, and let us all know if you find something good.

ETA: House of Commons Select Committee on Culture, Media and Sport took evidence on 6 March 2007 in respect of its inquiry into Self-regulation of the Press.

The evidence given has not been posted yet, but it should be very soon because evidence taken on 5th March is already there. This is where it should be: The House of Commons - Culture, Media and Sport Reports

I haven't found the info on the marriage yet, but I did find this little tidbit from January 29, 2007:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parliament
Mr. Caborn: It is a devolved matter, but I hope that Scotland will join the water polo team that will compete in the 2012 Olympics. I hope that we will have an excellent water polo team for 2012. If Prince William wants to play, we are more than likely to recruit him as well. We are now investing in the Great Britain water polo team so that, hopefully, they can go to Beijing in 2008, and so that we will definitely have a first class team for 2012. I hope that some of the Scots will be in that team.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 AM
Courtier

I'm not sure where else to put this.

If William and Kate get married and no children come from the marriage (miscarriage, stillborn, viral infertility, whatever...), does anyone think a divorce will happen (whether by choice or mandate) so William could marry a different (more) fertile female?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suonymona

If William and Kate get married and no children come from the marriage (miscarriage, stillborn, viral infertility, whatever...), does anyone think a divorce will happen (whether by choice or mandate) so William could marry a different (more) fertile female?
LOL! The poor prince is not yet engaged and already somebody thinks about his divorce and second marriage.... Well, like father, like son or what`?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Courtier

Given all the other what-if scenarios that populate this board, it was bound to come up!

Because if Wills can be matched with Princess Victoria of Sweden...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Wow, and I thought I was a pessimist! Here they are not even engaged and we're discussing their divorce.

Medical science being as advanced as it is, I think that scenario is not an option as Kate and William will know the answers before they wed. And if, perchance William (horror of horrors), is unable to father children, well .... thats why they like to have a spare!

(Gender not specified and thus we have Her Majesty!!!!!)
Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Given all the other what-if scenarios that populate this board, it was bound to come up!

Because if Wills can be matched with Princess Victoria of Sweden...
That match would never happen because both are heirs to their thrones. There'd be issues of which kids will suceed what thrones, etc. However I'd like to see him with Princess Madeliene of Sweden (and Prince Harry with charlotte Casiraghi).
Old 03-09-2007, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Before we get too far off track with Princess Madeleine and Ms Casiraghi, we have a thread which hasn't proved very popular of late: Preferred wives for William and Harry, which is a mere 54 pages long.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Provided the "Get a job, Kate" story is true it's pretty obvious that QE II and Prince Philip are concerned about the reputation or what people think of the future heir of the throne and his possible future wife. And they are right: if you go out on the streets and ask people about their opinion about Kate Middleton 95% will possibly say that they don't care much about her and that all they have heard about her so far is (whilst waiting for Wills to finally pop the question) about Kate enjoying herself (party, shopping, vacation). QE II will have understood that she comes across in public as boring, lazy, without any ambition (apart from snatching a prince in the long term) and that given she doesn't stand for anything people can't possibly figure out what on earth would qualify her to become the future queen of their country. On the other hand it suits because I believe more and more people are asking themselves what on earth would qualify William to become the future king of their country one day. Not the most favourable conditions to ensure the continuance of the monarchy, actually.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh goody! No-one's beaten me to the draw. I must be the only Australian member who was (a) watching Desperate Housewives tonight, and (b) paid attention to the "New Idea" ad that aired during that show.

Everyone will no doubt remember "New Idea" was the Aussie mag. that, in January, very naughtily spilled the beans on Harry's deployment in Afghanistan. Okey dokey, well then, their credentials are well and truly established as being in the know, right!

Well........*drum roll*...... tonight their ad. told us that "Wills" has finally proposed to Kate. And here it is in writing to prove it:
This week in New Idea - New Idea

So now you all know.

Don't get too excited.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Not the most favourable conditions to ensure the continuance of the monarchy, actually.
Come on, the queen is longer around than the journalists inventing such stories these days, so she at least knows how fast these stories will be forgotten if William actually proposes, marries Catherine in a very Royal wedding and produces kids with her while they are both smiling and working for the public, which is not sooo hard a job if you like to travel, learn new thing and meet nice people - that's what I'Ve done as a travel journalist for year and it wasn't that hard, even though it could be exhausting at times.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Provided the "Get a job, Kate" story is true it's pretty obvious that QE II and Prince Philip are concerned about the reputation or what people think of the future heir of the throne and his possible future wife.
But we know it is unlikely to be true, so nothing is obvious!
Quote:
And they are right: if you go out on the streets and ask people about their opinion about Kate Middleton 95% will possibly say that they don't care much about her and that all they have heard about her so far is (whilst waiting for Wills to finally pop the question) about Kate enjoying herself (party, shopping, vacation).
Do you have any statistics to back up your claim, using the same math as you appear to be applying, I believe 95% of the people asked would suggest the person asking the question 'get's a life'. Those that do answer would probably say they don't know that much about her and/or leave the girl alone. There is of course a small percentage of people who would quote the articles they have read in the Mail, telling us that 2-4 holidays a year is unusual and shopping every couple of weeks is 'strange', when for 100,000's of UK citizens it is normal practice. My own daughter is off on holiday for the third time this year and yes she has also spent virtually every weekend shopping, oh and she has been to a couple of nightclubs - shame on her!
Quote:
QE II will have understood that she comes across in public as boring, lazy, without any ambition (apart from snatching a prince in the long term) and that given she doesn't stand for anything people can't possibly figure out what on earth would qualify her to become the future queen of their country.
What exactly do you want her to 'stand for'? The things that might excite you enough to call her a 'worthy candidate' for wife to the heir to the heir, might not impress the other 99.99% of the population.

I would imagine HM just realises from being told of comments on threads such as this, that some people misunderstand what is required of a wife to a prince, namely that it is the opinion of the prince that matters and you can't take a degree course in how to be a future monarch. Which is as well seeing that HM was not required to work to show her mettle and look how well she has managed!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

I couldn't agree more Skydragon.

95% of the country
Old 06-03-2008, 03:18 AM
Commoner

"Imminent Engagement"

I have a question...how credible is the New Idea? I mean they were correct about Harry but what of other stories? Surely one story doesn't make a magazine always truthful. I believe the only way we will find out is when Clarence House announces, or Prince William and Cathrine show up one day in front of people flashing that ring and telling everyone about the date and the wedding preperations....well not THAT dramatic but I dont' know about you guys but I'm waiting for an OFFICIAL announcement...straight from the horse's mouth..

also all this talk about the soon-to-be engagement is really getting boring...pretty soon when it truly is time the media gets the information correct...it might not have a major major impact on the public and it might be a boy-who-cried-wolf syndrome...but on the other hand now that i think of it... of course when Will does get engaged of course everyone will be hysterical and start shouting from the roof tops...."FINALLY!!!! HE'S ENGAGED...AFTER ALL THIS TIME..."
Old 06-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
What exactly do you want her to 'stand for'?
I know we disagree here skydragon
It's 2008 and I would expect a 26 year old girl to be more settled, not job-hopping around (if at all) but following a career, showing commitment for something apart from partying, shopping, vacation (at least this is what we see her doing). If you look around, be it Maxima, Letizia, Mathilde or any other commoner who finally married into royalty has a professional background and therefore "stands" for something. It helps to be taken seriously or accepted. I am repeating myself but Kate is only being recognised as a member of this fun & fooling around society without much professional direction in life but I have to admit that this somehow fits the attitude of the Princes they have recently demonstrated more than necessary when pulling off their various army stunts (misuse for stag night, practising landing in Kate's garden etc etc).
Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Nobility

Duke,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Maxima, Letizie, Mathilde, Mary,etc. have an established career prior to meeting/dating their future husbands? Therefore avoiding press mania while attempting to secure their 1st fulltime paid position. Meanwhile the insatiable public was introduced to Kate/Catherine prior to graduation from St Andrews. How would you like to have a pack of hyenas sniffing out your every move, every job interview --maybe he'll be working for so-and-so or well that firm didn't want to offer employment.
Look what happened when Catherine was working for Jigsaw. See Kate walking from flat to car, see Kate getting into car, see Kate driving to work, see the press almost causing an accident because of their insane bahavior.
If she had a fulltime position, the press could/would accuse her of taking a job away from someone (nameless, of course) who really needed the job. Catherine is in a no win situation and personally I believe she is handling the situation with great aplomb.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

You have a point here but I don't agree that it's either following a career or dating a prince and that there can't be both. Chelsy chose to continue her studies in Leeds despite paparazzi, Daniel Westling continues to do his fitness business despite paparazzi, those are two examples in similar situations that just come to my mind. There is no way that Kate is forced into fooling around instead of building up her own life by the media or public. She could work and have a career as anyone else if only she wanted. Maybe she's one of those girls who are pretty sure to snatch a rich boy anyway so no need to focus on making an own living, if he doesn't turn out to be Prince William there are plenty of other choices, I am sure Kate will have met lots of footballers already in the clubs she frequently visits.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
It's 2008 and I would expect a 26 year old girl to be more settled, not job-hopping around (if at all) but following a career, showing commitment for something apart from partying, shopping, vacation (at least this is what we see her doing).
I think that more and more people are now using their twenties to enjoy themselves, to be free and do things that will be unavailable to them when they marry and start to have families. I am only a year older than Kate and out of my friends there is only myself and two others that are what you would called settled in our careers. I'm settled as I have a child and can't hop between jobs and with the others one is still studying and the other is teaching. I have one friend who every time I talk to him is either looking for a new job or just starting one, I have three who just decided to up and travel around the world, I have a friend who just spent the last 9 years studying medicine, and lots of their parents money, who has just decided that medicine is not for them and is now currently unemployed and I have one friend who has just spent the last few years working (part-time) for her parents in their shop because she has absolutely no idea what she wants to do with her life. The way I look at it is if you are young, have no commitments or dependents then go and have fun while you can because it won't last forever.

Quote:
Chelsy chose to continue her studies in Leeds despite paparazzi
I don't think that there is the same interest in Chelsy, by the media or by the public, as there is in Kate. For the last few years the media has been pushing for an engagement between William and Kate, Harry's relationship has really taken a back seat and until William and Kate either end it for good it is unlikely to change (unless of course Harry surprises us with an engagement). Once the press get William and Kate married off they will start on Harry and Chelsy.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
... she comes across in public as boring, lazy, without any ambition (apart from snatching a prince in the long term) .
Quote:
Maybe she's one of those girls who are pretty sure to snatch a rich boy anyway
[my bolding]
Choice of words is always interesting (and sometimes revealing), especially so when they are loaded or used in a pejorative sense.
Is there some reason for the repeated use of the term 'snatch' when discussing Kate Middleton, as opposed to say the neutral 'meet' or 'wed' or 'marry'?
Who is she "snatching" William from?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:47 AM

His ego perhaps?

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press