The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:07 AM
Commoner

£ 27,970.00
source: Justgiving - Day glo Midnight Roller Disco

Old 12-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Nobility

I have to agree with your assessment of Kate's mother. Complaining about why William hasn't proposed will not push him into making that decision. Also, I know the Middleton's have built a successful business, good for them. But I can't help wondering if they are going to take a hit financially in these harder times? Can they really afford to support their two daughters' carefree lifestyle. The same two daughters that have really done nothing post university?

Old 12-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgi View Post
Good result. Even though it is to be split in half it will come in handy for sure, both seem to be good causes so it was worthwhile.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
I just think she did it to get attention and she certainly did, if that is misconduct and then perhaps I do believe that. You can give the benefit of your doubt to anyone you please as so can I, in this case I am slightly dubious.
Dubious about her motives in "organizing a jolly"? Anyone who has ever been involved in charity work beyond baking cookies for the local advent bazaar knows that while people are willing to walk for miles if you offer them a profit in the end, they tend to stay where they are if they have to pay for walking. You'll find no majority of people (if you even find some) who pay anything for having nothing out of the bargain (even the cookie buyers get the cookies!). So to attract a fun loving young crowd and make them spend money you have to offer them fun on spending money. I bet if Catherine Middleton had sat down in a nunnery, on inviting her acquaintances to join her for a small charge for charity, she would sit there for ages and noone would turn up!
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Exactly. But that seems to make the assumption that people are not charitable unless they get something out of it for themselves. That is what made me dubious about this little caper in the first place.
The idea of Kate in her little skimpy sequin outfit sitting in a nunnery is a good one .
Old 12-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Ahh, the old 'confided to (unnamed) friends' story - again!
It always amuses me when Katie Nicholl and others like her use the "a close friend of the family tells me" line and others like it. It just seems a little bit of a contradiction to me, such close friends that the first thing they do when "whoever" confides in them is run to the press.

Quote:
But that seems to make the assumption that people are not charitable unless they get something out of it for themselves.
I think sadly Manarue that it seems that's the way things are headed. Speaking from my own experience, I find it so much easier to get people to buy tickets to a benefit night than to get them to make a simple donation. The fact that you are giving the money to help others doesn't seem to be enough anymore, people at least want a good night out for parting with it.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sad but true Amelia, I suppose "the end justifies the means" but it is rather sad.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I am interested to know how you know the group had the very best intentions at heart? Some people here think that it was used as an excuse for a jolly good time.
i think i understand where you're coming from now. it's great that you want to put another "twist" on this part of the discussion. most people see charitable events as "good" intentions so your twist of it being "dubious" is really rather interesting.

Quote:
How much was raised is of interest, I might change my opinion (I know that doesn“t matter) if they had given a decent amount to this charity, as they seem to have used the charity to get some publicity mainly for Kate to show how charitable she is.
Back to how much was raised was it published anywhere?
i'd say that almost 14 000 is fairly decent amount.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Mrs Middleton senior is just as pathetic as her daughter when it comes down to dealing with the media. Why don't they just shut up and get on with their life like any other private person - they always claim they are. If Kate had concentrated on a serious career in whatever business, like Chelsy, instead of publicly playing the waiting game for years, she and her family now wouldn't be in that image trap "pushy mother & I'd-do-anything-for-that-ring-even-make-a-fool-of-myself daughter".
I don't wholly agree, but I think there is some sense here, Duke. Carole Middleton should either learn to be careful who she confides in, or just learn to watch what she says around journalists who are gunning to put spin on her words. Or better, she should just keep her trap shut around the reporters, because in her case, no comment will always be the best policy. I never have a problem with Kate Middleton's silent, private mother. I mean, Michael Middleton has never been quoted in the press! Why can't Carole take a page from her husband?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Royal Highness

it's interesting, weren't we just discussing the other day how there'd been an invite to sandringham? this article says that there wasn't one this year.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Exactly. But that seems to make the assumption that people are not charitable unless they get something out of it for themselves. That is what made me dubious about this little caper in the first place.
That's the way it is. Or do you think a lot of those society ladies would attend a charity dinner if it wasn't for the gossip and the champagne to sweep away their boredom? Unfortunately there are only very few "Mother Teresa"'s in this world und even she was said to have liked her power over her fellow "sisters" a bit too much...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
it's interesting, weren't we just discussing the other day how there'd been an invite to sandringham? this article says that there wasn't one this year.
After all those years of reporting that there was one but was turned down (which probably wasn't the truth), this report could mean that this year there is one...
Old 12-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
I don't wholly agree, but I think there is some sense here, Duke. Carole Middleton should either learn to be careful who she confides in, or just learn to watch what she says around journalists who are gunning to put spin on her words. Or better, she should just keep her trap shut around the reporters, because in her case, no comment will always be the best policy. I never have a problem with Kate Middleton's silent, private mother. I mean, Michael Middleton has never been quoted in the press! Why can't Carole take a page from her husband?
This wouldn't be the first time that such statements are completely invented. Other than with the Mandrake-article which probably has a grain of truth in it, even though IMHO it's not a truthful report, this one is surely pure invention. Why should she speak about this to anybody? I doubt the Middletons have much confidantes left. And anyone knows that Catherine had already enrolled at St. Andrew's before it became known that William would be there. It was only reported after the application process had been finished, so there was no way to get into the university after it became known that William would be there. Slander that, so probably the same misinformation in the rest of the article.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:56 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I'd wager that the latest Nicholl article is mainly last week's Mandrake bit rehashed, not anything new about or from Carole. I don't buy that Nicholl has many reliable gossipy sources -- she's wrong too much of the time, and when she isn't, she's usually just parroting things we've already heard elsewhere. She's one of those gossip columnists that should be taken with a grain of salt always, whether she's saying things you do or don't want to hear, IMO.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 12-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
Yes and didn't Katie Nicholl say in a previous article that Kate had indeed been invited. I sometimes get the impression that the DM just publish whatever comes into their heads at the time and then completely forget about it later on.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
It just seems a little bit of a contradiction to me, such close friends that the first thing they do when "whoever" confides in them is run to the press.
To use the 'in' word of the moment - ABSOLUTELY.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio View Post
Reading your post would make one think that Carole Middleton was in the press ever so often. As far as I am aware, the Mandrake article is the only time she has been quoted in the press, and the circumstances surrounding that "interview" are suspect (see comments around the time for more information) So I wd suggest a little bit of thougtbefore criticising somebody wd not go amiss!
Old 12-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Nobility

Michael Middleton was quoted directly in the press denying reports that Kate and William were an item when she first became public knowledge. I could find his quote on the internet...something to the effect that 'while we are amused at the thought of my daughter marrying Prince William, they are only friends'. It was a very nice quote by a thoughtful father. He has not been directly quoted by attribution as far as I am aware since.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Serene Highness

But they really were just friends for a few years, right? Or maybe thats something we'll never really know.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness

well,for all those that were hoping for a christmas proposal i'm sorry for the disappointment.

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press