The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Prince Harry and Prince William

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear View Post
Thank you, windsorgirl.

So Kate has been invited for Christmas...again...
Didn't The DM say back in July that she had turned the Queen down again this year

Old 12-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Idea
Royal courtiers are believed to be hurryingly drafting up secret plans for a wedding
That's their job, is it not? It would be irresponsible of them not to have plans drawn up for anything even a little likely.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Organising a charity event for many people makes them feel good without having to put in much money themselves, they are there to make everyone else donate..... then perhaps I am wrong. There is nothing like getting other people to spend their money for a good cause, and she must have been feeling a bit sensitive about the criticism she was getting and as she knows royals are expected to do charity work voila!
There are many valuable ways to contribute to a charity besides giving money. I don't understand what precisely was Kate's part, but if she organized the event, that's a very important part. The events don't organize themselves. But even if she didn't actually do much leg work in organizing it....so if she uses her name recognition to get people together in awareness and financial support for a charity, that's a good contribution by itself. That's pretty much all Diana ever did. Do you think Diana gave her own money to charities? Think again. But Diana surely got a lot of people to take notice and put up money for the causes she cared about, and that was what made her a powerful force!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiea View Post

I mentioned this story in post #1874 after reading it last week but this week New Idea has nothing at all about the royals (I couldn't find anything in any of the Australian mags except for a photo of Camilla doing something this week.)
Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
And I won't blame her for paparazzi who are trying their best to take pictures from unflattering angles.
I don't think what makes that shot bad is the angle, or even the bra peep.
It's more like a combination of many things: the tacky lining of the coat, the skimpiness of the dress (barely mid-thigh, only a few inches below her crotch) coupled with high boots (mini + high boots is always a vulgar combo), the loud color of the dress and the very cheap-looking fabric, the studded bag and, imo, the rather haggard face... all that is very Pretty Woman (the Julia Roberts version, before the make-over).
The only reason she gets away with that really trashy outfit is the boyishness of her body. On a womanly figure, it would have looked downright crass.
Quote:
This is the first time she's been photographed out at a London club since August, if I remember correctly. Twice in four months! What a party animal!
I agree. I don't have a problem with that outing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
New Idea occasionally gets it right (breaking -- irresponsibly -- the story of Harry's service in Afghanistan, for one), but I'm not sure I'd put much stock in this one. Could be that something like this is in the works, but these kinds of "imminent engagement" stories are published all the time.
I think you are giving the publication too much credit. The only reason they had access to this information is because it was literally an open secret as part of a deal between CH and the media. They didn't actually found out the info through their top notch investigative journalists, it was handed to them.
As for the article, I attempted to read it but it was so full of absurd speculation presented as facts that I gave up. Had it been a negative article, it would have been totally trashed already.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Nobility

To say the least we know they are still together. Our musings and speculations can now reside safely on the side of romanticism. They are together and if that last article has any inclination, a wedding is to take place. I do wonder about the source to this rumour. But since I am a Kate and William fan I take it wholeheartedly. Whatever develops in the house of Windsor I'm sure they are to determine their quest for now as a duo. I personally don't think the wait is without merit. Many friendships are better with time. For now we have hope that they will be. I'm glad for them. Hope they have a nice Christmas day.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Depending on the type of event, organizing something for charity is quite a bit of work. In our area, a lady organized a silent auction and dessert buffet to dig a well in Peru so that the people would have fresh water. Even though it was a small event by some standards, I have no doubt that the lady did a lot of work in organizing it. These events don't happen without an intelligent person putting in a lot of hours. I expect that this lady took time away from running her own business, and thereby doing without some income, in order to get support for a cause she believed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarue View Post
Organising a charity event for many people makes them feel good without having to put in much money themselves, they are there to make everyone else donate..... then perhaps I am wrong. There is nothing like getting other people to spend their money for a good cause, and she must have been feeling a bit sensitive about the criticism she was getting and as she knows royals are expected to do charity work voila!
Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Serene Highness

I really feel badly that so many of our members cannot remember that the roller disco, which Kate helped to organize, was held to raise money for Tom's Ward. This is a charity in honor of her friend, Thomas Waley-Cohen, who died of bone cancer at the very young age of twenty. The money raised was used to help create an oncology unit at the Oxford Children's Hospital in his name. Tom was a member of the Peerage and the disco was not the only high profile event held to help this cause.

STING AND VETTRIANO HELP AUCTION FOR TRAGIC STUDENT - StingUs - News on The Police, Sting, Steward Copeland and Andy Summers

Pharmacy Choice - Pharmaceutical News - Cycling: Cyclists raise pounds 25,000 for hospital - December 19, 2008

Personally, I may feel a little more strongly than most about this glaring omission from the discussion about the event as I am a cancer survivor myself but, honestly, I think a bit too much attention was given to what Kate wore and how often she lost her footing as opposed to emphasizing what she was trying to raise money for. However, you can't blame Kate for that. It is the "Enquiring Minds Want to Know" mentality that is to blame. People would rather read an article about her that infers embarrassment because of an awkward photo than do something compassionate like paying attention to the cause itself. The sad part is, if she had done this low key, it would have been completely unworthy of any news coverage at all. Because of the "scandal" involved, a few more people know about it now.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
Courtier

Idreal I think one needs a "My Fair Lady' makeover here if one is ever to become a true royal 'one'
Old 12-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Heir Apparent

In my opinion--and I've said it before--Kate has done nothing to earn the kind of bashing that she gets. No matter what she does, there are those who have to find fault with her.

I remember one princess who back in the 80s said, "I think there's entirely too much attention paid to my clothes."

I say give credit where credit is due: Kate voluntarily took part in this important fundraising effort and took part in it with a smile. She didn't pout when she fell down, and she served tables as well.

Congratulations on being a survivor, Kimebear.

Quote:
I think a bit too much attention was given to what Kate wore and how often she lost her footing as opposed to emphasizing what she was trying to raise money for. However, you can't blame Kate for that. It is the "Enquiring Minds Want to Know" mentality that is to blame. People would rather read an article about her that infers embarrassment because of an awkward photo than do something compassionate like paying attention to the cause itself. The sad part is, if she had done this low key, it would have been completely unworthy of any news coverage at all. Because of the "scandal" involved, a few more people know about it now.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Firstly what was said about Kate I am sure had nothing to do with the good cause that the money was being raised for. She is in the public eye because of her friendship with the Prince and she wore a skimpy outfit, she fell down legs akimbo so you can´t blame photographers for earning their money.
She was criticized for not doing charity work, to me that is ridiculous, she is not royal yet and royalty are expected to "earn their keep" by supporting good causes. Kate could have helped in many ways, if the idea was for her to attract attention to this money raising event well she did. If it were little Miss Brown in the same outfit no one would have known about it.
Fair to her or not I have the feeling that Kate wanted to be seen to be raising money, and if it raised money that is good I won´t argue with that,
but perhaps she could do it in another way when she is royal she can act royal but it may be better for her to keep the low profile she has in the last few months as most of her "good intentions" seem to backfire on her.
By the way does anyone know exactly how much money was raised for this particular cause by this particular event?
Unfortunately it is quite often all show and little cash.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Serene Highness

First, I would like to join Mermaid in congratulating you for surviving your ordeal.
Quote:
Personally, I may feel a little more strongly than most about this glaring omission from the discussion about the event as I am a cancer survivor myself but, honestly, I think a bit too much attention was given to what Kate wore and how often she lost her footing as opposed to emphasizing what she was trying to raise money for.
But how could you expect anything else?
The format of the event was all wrong: do you really expect any self-respecting journalist to write up a serious article about the very tragic story of this boy and the serious issue of Cancer alongside pictures of youth having raucous fun looking like extras in Saturday Night Fever?
This kind of event will never be picked up by serious journalists, because these are the most shallow ways of approaching serious issues. It will only be covered by gossip mongerers, where the attention will focus (unsurprisingly) on the gossip and the fluff and not on the cause.

Serious publications certainly write a lot about Cancer (just do a 'Cancer' research on the Guardian or the Times), so the party and its goal wasn't ignored by serious journalists because they think the public will find it boring, or is too shallow to care about real issues. It was ignored because it was a party.
Quote:
However, you can't blame Kate for that. It is the "Enquiring Minds Want to Know" mentality that is to blame. People would rather read an article about her that infers embarrassment because of an awkward photo than do something compassionate like paying attention to the cause itself.
I think you are under-estimating the intelligence of the public. People are not dumb.
When it comes to the reading of the news, your brains attune to the level of what we are reading. I don't read articles about Angelina Jolie's pregnancies with the same attention and seriousness I read about Obama's cabinet picks.
People's brain will tend to switch off when reading an article about a party, you can't blame the public either.
Quote:
The sad part is, if she had done this low key, it would have been completely unworthy of any news coverage at all.
I have given examples of very high-profiles charity outings where journalist where present and who got the point across because there were no distraction. If you present things in a format that makes it possible for journalists to write about it with a straight face, you will get serious coverage.

At this point however, Kate isn't a royal so it isn't her place to do high profile charity projects. But if she wants to involve herself, nothing prevents her to do more low-key projects, at a community level, like thousands of anonymous people do. It won't get worldwide coverage, but who cares? Certainly not the people she will be helping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
No matter what she does, there are those who have to find fault with her
I feel this is at least partly directed to me, because I have been the most critical.
I will just say I have cited ways she could do charity that would not get a pip from me, only praise.
And so it can't be said I never have a good thing to say about the girl, the Party Pieces initiative that will bring Party Kits to hospitals children this Christmas is certainly the kind of charity work I can only praise, as it will bring real relief to real people with minimal fuss.

And those who are bored to tears by my rants, I promise this is the last one I'll do on that subject.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Idriel don´t stop, what you said was all very good sense. Cancer is too serious a subject to be lost in a column in a gossip magazine because a bunch of society kids decide to have a party with the excuse that it is to raise money for it. The good deed was lost in sequins and spills and giggles which is a shame.
Of course you feel keenly Kime, but do you really think Kate did the cause any favour by this exhibition? Congratulations for your cure, good for you, and all other cancer survivors. My husband caught his in time this year.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Excellent post, Idriel.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Indeed an excellent post, Idriel.
It's nice to read comments based upon common sense here - they don't equal rants at all but more a voice of reason.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

It's incredible how sanctimonious strangers can get based on bias and gossips.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel View Post
First, I would like to join Mermaid in congratulating you for surviving your ordeal. But how could you expect anything else?
The format of the event was all wrong: do you really expect any self-respecting journalist to write up a serious article about the very tragic story of this boy and the serious issue of Cancer alongside pictures of youth having raucous fun looking like extras in Saturday Night Fever?
This kind of event will never be picked up by serious journalists, because these are the most shallow ways of approaching serious issues. It will only be covered by gossip mongerers, where the attention will focus (unsurprisingly) on the gossip and the fluff and not on the cause....

well i really have to say you're way off base here. many of the most successful fundraising events in most places are fun and joyous events nowadays. look at elton john's annual aids fundraiser? it's a glitzy, celebrity studded affair. in the city where i live, we have an annual breast cancer fundraiser here and it's designed to show people a good time. i'm afraid though that you won't be happy with any of it. it's called "titz and glitz" and people are encouraged to wear weird "breast" themed outfits or costumes. it's one of the biggest fundraising events in the city and all the papers and news shows in the area cover it. not all fundraisers have to be somber, funeral like events. people are more likely to open their purses if they're having a good time. would rather that these events all took place in darkened rooms with sad music playing and everyone wearing black?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Courtier

rumors of pregnancy and being invited to christams by the royals??? i just might explode with excitement!!!
serious question though: why does kate always take the taxi (the one with the yellow handles is a taxi, right?) while out partying and why not her own car?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_1 View Post
rumors of pregnancy and being invited to christams by the royals??? i just might explode with excitement!!!
serious question though: why does kate always take the taxi (the one with the yellow handles is a taxi, right?) while out partying and why not her own car?
if you've ever been in london, it's not hard to understand why a taxi is her mode of transportation at least for a night out. traffic is crazy and parking is probably equally so. not to mention that at least when taking a taxi, drinking and driving isn't going to be an issue.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Courtier

no ive never been to london, thanks for explaining!! so does william too take a taxi? isnt that a security issue?

Tags
engagement, kate middleton, prince william, relationships, speculation, tabloid press