William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2005 - 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the most favourable conditions to ensure the continuance of the monarchy, actually.

Come on, the queen is longer around than the journalists inventing such stories these days, so she at least knows how fast these stories will be forgotten if William actually proposes, marries Catherine in a very Royal wedding and produces kids with her while they are both smiling and working for the public, which is not sooo hard a job if you like to travel, learn new thing and meet nice people - that's what I'Ve done as a travel journalist for year and it wasn't that hard, even though it could be exhausting at times.

Provided the "Get a job, Kate" story is true it's pretty obvious that QE II and Prince Philip are concerned about the reputation or what people think of the future heir of the throne and his possible future wife.
But we know it is unlikely to be true, so nothing is obvious!
And they are right: if you go out on the streets and ask people about their opinion about Kate Middleton 95% will possibly say that they don't care much about her and that all they have heard about her so far is (whilst waiting for Wills to finally pop the question) about Kate enjoying herself (party, shopping, vacation).
Do you have any statistics to back up your claim, using the same math as you appear to be applying, I believe 95% of the people asked would suggest the person asking the question 'get's a life'. Those that do answer would probably say they don't know that much about her and/or leave the girl alone. There is of course a small percentage of people who would quote the articles they have read in the Mail, telling us that 2-4 holidays a year is unusual and shopping every couple of weeks is 'strange', when for 100,000's of UK citizens it is normal practice. My own daughter is off on holiday for the third time this year and yes she has also spent virtually every weekend shopping, oh and she has been to a couple of nightclubs - shame on her!:rolleyes:
QE II will have understood that she comes across in public as boring, lazy, without any ambition (apart from snatching a prince in the long term) and that given she doesn't stand for anything people can't possibly figure out what on earth would qualify her to become the future queen of their country.
What exactly do you want her to 'stand for'? The things that might excite you enough to call her a 'worthy candidate' for wife to the heir to the heir, might not impress the other 99.99% of the population.

I would imagine HM just realises from being told of comments on threads such as this, that some people misunderstand what is required of a wife to a prince, namely that it is the opinion of the prince that matters and you can't take a degree course in how to be a future monarch. Which is as well seeing that HM was not required to work to show her mettle and look how well she has managed! :whistling:

"Imminent Engagement"

I have a question...how credible is the New Idea? I mean they were correct about Harry but what of other stories? Surely one story doesn't make a magazine always truthful. I believe the only way we will find out is when Clarence House announces, or Prince William and Cathrine show up one day in front of people flashing that ring and telling everyone about the date and the wedding preperations....well not THAT dramatic but I dont' know about you guys but I'm waiting for an OFFICIAL announcement...straight from the horse's mouth..

also all this talk about the soon-to-be engagement is really getting boring...pretty soon when it truly is time the media gets the information correct...it might not have a major major impact on the public and it might be a boy-who-cried-wolf syndrome...but on the other hand now that i think of it... of course when Will does get engaged of course everyone will be hysterical and start shouting from the roof tops...."FINALLY!!!! HE'S ENGAGED...AFTER ALL THIS TIME..."

:rolleyes:What exactly do you want her to 'stand for'?

I know we disagree here skydragon :flowers:
It's 2008 and I would expect a 26 year old girl to be more settled, not job-hopping around (if at all) but following a career, showing commitment for something apart from partying, shopping, vacation (at least this is what we see her doing). If you look around, be it Maxima, Letizia, Mathilde or any other commoner who finally married into royalty has a professional background and therefore "stands" for something. It helps to be taken seriously or accepted. I am repeating myself but Kate is only being recognised as a member of this fun & fooling around society without much professional direction in life but I have to admit that this somehow fits the attitude of the Princes they have recently demonstrated more than necessary when pulling off their various army stunts (misuse for stag night, practising landing in Kate's garden etc etc).

Duke,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Maxima, Letizie, Mathilde, Mary,etc. have an established career prior to meeting/dating their future husbands? Therefore avoiding press mania while attempting to secure their 1st fulltime paid position. Meanwhile the insatiable public was introduced to Kate/Catherine prior to graduation from St Andrews. How would you like to have a pack of hyenas sniffing out your every move, every job interview --maybe he'll be working for so-and-so or well that firm didn't want to offer employment.
Look what happened when Catherine was working for Jigsaw. See Kate walking from flat to car, see Kate getting into car, see Kate driving to work, see the press almost causing an accident because of their insane bahavior.
If she had a fulltime position, the press could/would accuse her of taking a job away from someone (nameless, of course) who really needed the job. Catherine is in a no win situation and personally I believe she is handling the situation with great aplomb. :flowers:

You have a point here but I don't agree that it's either following a career or dating a prince and that there can't be both. Chelsy chose to continue her studies in Leeds despite paparazzi, Daniel Westling continues to do his fitness business despite paparazzi, those are two examples in similar situations that just come to my mind. There is no way that Kate is forced into fooling around instead of building up her own life by the media or public. She could work and have a career as anyone else if only she wanted. Maybe she's one of those girls who are pretty sure to snatch a rich boy anyway so no need to focus on making an own living, if he doesn't turn out to be Prince William there are plenty of other choices, I am sure Kate will have met lots of footballers already in the clubs she frequently visits.

It's 2008 and I would expect a 26 year old girl to be more settled, not job-hopping around (if at all) but following a career, showing commitment for something apart from partying, shopping, vacation (at least this is what we see her doing).
I think that more and more people are now using their twenties to enjoy themselves, to be free and do things that will be unavailable to them when they marry and start to have families. I am only a year older than Kate and out of my friends there is only myself and two others that are what you would called settled in our careers. I'm settled as I have a child and can't hop between jobs and with the others one is still studying and the other is teaching. I have one friend who every time I talk to him is either looking for a new job or just starting one, I have three who just decided to up and travel around the world, I have a friend who just spent the last 9 years studying medicine, and lots of their parents money, who has just decided that medicine is not for them and is now currently unemployed and I have one friend who has just spent the last few years working (part-time) for her parents in their shop because she has absolutely no idea what she wants to do with her life. The way I look at it is if you are young, have no commitments or dependents then go and have fun while you can because it won't last forever.

Chelsy chose to continue her studies in Leeds despite paparazzi
I don't think that there is the same interest in Chelsy, by the media or by the public, as there is in Kate. For the last few years the media has been pushing for an engagement between William and Kate, Harry's relationship has really taken a back seat and until William and Kate either end it for good it is unlikely to change (unless of course Harry surprises us with an engagement). Once the press get William and Kate married off they will start on Harry and Chelsy.

... she comes across in public as boring, lazy, without any ambition (apart from snatching a prince in the long term) .
Maybe she's one of those girls who are pretty sure to snatch a rich boy anyway
[my bolding]
Choice of words is always interesting (and sometimes revealing), especially so when they are loaded or used in a pejorative sense.
Is there some reason for the repeated use of the term 'snatch' when discussing Kate Middleton, as opposed to say the neutral 'meet' or 'wed' or 'marry'?
Who is she "snatching" William from?

His ego perhaps? :rolleyes:

[my bolding]
Choice of words is always interesting (and sometimes revealing), especially so when they are loaded or used in a pejorative sense.
Is there some reason for the repeated use of the term 'snatch' when discussing Kate Middleton, as opposed to say the neutral 'meet' or 'wed' or 'marry'?
Who is she "snatching" William from?

No specific reason Warren but I took my time to look into the deeper meaning of "snatch" (maybe I was inspired by the movie - I loved it) ;)

snatch:
to grasp hastily or eagerly
catch: the act of catching an object with the hands (rather not)
kidnapping: the unlawful act of capturing and carrying away a person against their will and holding them in false imprisonment, take away to an undisclosed location against their will and usually in order to extract a ransom (certainly not)

Let me have another go and replace snatch by "intends to marry", hope this doesn't give too much room for interpretation :)

I know we disagree here skydragon :flowers:
It's 2008 and I would expect a 26 year old girl to be more settled, not job-hopping around (if at all) but following a career, showing commitment for something apart from partying, shopping, vacation (at least this is what we see her doing). If you look around, be it Maxima, Letizia, Mathilde or any other commoner who finally married into royalty has a professional background and therefore "stands" for something. It helps to be taken seriously or accepted. I am repeating myself but Kate is only being recognised as a member of this fun & fooling around society without much professional direction in life but I have to admit that this somehow fits the attitude of the Princes they have recently demonstrated more than necessary when pulling off their various army stunts (misuse for stag night, practising landing in Kate's garden etc etc).
Because it is 2008, many young women and men have not yet decided on what they want to do. But why does anyone persist in trying to put their expectations on to Catherine. Many youngsters have not yet settled into a career or into relationships. You keep saying that she spends her time partying, shopping and taking holidays, but I must say I have not seen anything to support this.

It is normal for young women to go to the shops, they like the rest of us need to look, to try things on, buy presents, cards etc. Just have a look around any shopping area any day of the week, are they being ridiculed? If there was any evidence that she was running up massive debt, as many youngsters apparently do, then there would be cause for concern, but she pays for the goods she wants so what is the problem with shopping. How many times has she been shown committing this crime, more than 52 times in a year, 104 times, no a couple of times it has made the papers so that seems to be a little harsh to suggest she unusually spends her time shopping. How many holidays has she had that is excessive for a young woman of her wealth, one a month? Again no, no evidence of that. The same goes for the alleged partying, I don't know about everyone on here but some young women go out for a drink at a nightclub at least once a week.

It really does seem to me, on reading about the heinous crimes that make her unsuitable in some posters eyes, that the real crime she has committed is being rich enough not to have to join the boring 9 to 5 slog, rich enough to shop and holiday if and when she wants - just like 1000's of other youngsters and worse than that fall in love with a young man who may one day be King!

I would like to see them marry, but I have no high opinion of Williams regard for her since I saw the video of them at the ceremony when he received his wings.

I'm honestly interested in your opinion :flowers:, so what exactly put you off?

I'm honestly interested in your opinion :flowers:, so what exactly put you off?

When I watched the clip of them walking together at the ceremony (it provided the still shot that all the papers carried), William seemed to just trot right ahead of her without regard, while she was almost running after him. IMHO he knew what it would mean if he brought her with him, so he should have taken better pains to treat her respectfully in front of the cameras by ensuring that she was next to him, not running after him. It was a quick shot and probably means nothing, but it bothered me at the time to watch it happen that way.

I saw that too and it bothered me as well. Kate was practically running after him and he didnt even looked at her. For that moment, I felt pity for Kate

I have to say, I'm 25 (not all that far from 26) and in college and few of the 20-something's I have met in my age group are settled. Most are either in college looking for the career to meet their major, not married or sometimes even in a serious relationship, still living at home with mom and dad or in a college dorm, but still...I don't know any at all my age (same as Kate's age) who are settling down. A few, yes, but not a majority.

When I watched the clip of them walking together at the ceremony (it provided the still shot that all the papers carried), William seemed to just trot right ahead of her without regard, while she was almost running after him.
Most men walk faster than their girlfriends/wives. If I didn't hold my husbands arm, which on occasion it is not acceptable to do, I expect it would look as if I were running after him. In fact if I don't hold his arm when we are shopping, he escapes! :D

If she is going to be Princess of Wales/Queen of England, she should probably get used to it! I think I read somewhere that the consort is supposed to walk a few steps behind His/Her Majesty at all times, at least in public.

She should just dump him and move on with her life. Waiting around for a proposal cannot be good to your self esteem, I know he has commitments but come on, they've been dating for quite some time. She has a right to expect a proposal, and if he wants to wait, I say 'dump him' and good riddance.

This is 2008. Bright, young and educated women do not wait for a proposal. They plan the future including timing of possible wedding together. They plan according to committments and personal wishes. Catherine does not have to wait for a proposal - she is part of the decision making team.

She should just dump him and move on with her life. Waiting around for a proposal cannot be good to your self esteem, I know he has commitments but come on, they've been dating for quite some time. She has a right to expect a proposal, and if he wants to wait, I say 'dump him' and good riddance.
That of course is presuming he has not proposed already and they have been asked to wait to announce it to the world. That would allow Catherine to pursue her chosen career, out of the headlines! :whistling:

Kate's appearance at such high profile public events -- such as the Garter Ceremony -- standing along side members of the RF is a definite indication that we should expect an announcement before year-end. JMHO:wub:

An Engagement this summer I Am sure! <3

I don't think so, no. My personal guess is that we'll see William finishing his Navy-duties before Christmas and Catherine with an engagement ring at Sandringham on Xmas Day. Then we'll have a May-wedding and as soon as William and Catherine are on their honeymoon we'll see Chelsy with an engagement ring and have an autumn wedding. :D

do you think that he has already asked her to marry him? I really think that with her being at the Gater event today really does mean something.

do you think that he has already asked her to marry him? I really think that with her being at the Gater event today really does mean something.

If you ask me personally - and I answer with pure speculation - then yes I think he already asked her. Prince Joachim of Denmark asked Marie only after he had the okay of her grand-mother, her father and her mother. before that he surely asked the queen his mother. He asked Marie at their Turkey-holiday which was I think in early summer last year. The engagement was announced in November last year I think.

So Royal engagements take a lot of pre-planning and the fact that both Chelsy and Catherine were seated in such a prominent position within St.George's Chapel at Peter and Autumn's wedding hints at least for me that the engagements are already spoken for but that the right moment has not yet arisen in which to announce them.

This is my very personal opinion and I know none of the people involved so I just use my own idea of common sense to make guesses. And not even educated ones...

I agree with the previous posters this is a huge sign of an imminent engagement. Prehaps it will be a longer one like Philip and Autumn. Maybe an announcemnet on his birthday!

Loved her dress.

Very suspious of the press. Just watched the sky news real and no mention of Kate at all. Very strange that even the DM has no engagement speculation:rolleyes:

In this history of the royal family, girlfriends don't attend such events. Fiancees and spouses do. Thats why its a big deal.

I agree. Her presence at the Garter Ceremony and in the group of the most senior Royals, speaks volumes. They are engaged and all that is left is the announcement.

I don't think so, no. My personal guess is that we'll see William finishing his Navy-duties before Christmas and Catherine with an engagement ring at Sandringham on Xmas Day. Then we'll have a May-wedding and as soon as William and Catherine are on their honeymoon we'll see Chelsy with an engagement ring and have an autumn wedding. :D

Somewhere in this romantic scheme, I think Zara Phillips and Mike Tyndale will also get married.

Usually senior Royals announce in the winter and marry in the summer ( ig Charles and Diana) or announce in the summer and marry in the fall ( Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip). So I think William and Catherine Middleton will announce after Christmas and marry in late July 2009 or at latest the fall 2010.
Zara will announce soon and marry in early May 2009 at the latest. I don't see her waiting alot longer now that she is out of the Olympics. Yet because she is technically not Royal, her wedding won't be high profile and conflict with pre-wedding plans of William and Catherine.

I don't see two high-profile weddings of Harry and William happening in the same year.

As Jo said, all of this is my personal conjecture.:flowers:

I do think that an engagement must be around the corner. This was a royal family event and the fact that the Queen allowed her to be a part of it, considering how traditional HM is, really tells me that she is thisclose to being a member of the family.

That was the past. That was before royal started living with their "partners". How times have changed, and the Sandhurst passing-out parade was public. The reporters saw it, and they were there. We saw more coverage of that then the Garter ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom