William and Harry's TV Interviews about Diana: June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only watched the second part of the interview, and I enjoyed it. Hopefully I didn't miss too much during the first segment, but I'm sure it'll show up on youtube eventually. I didn't find that either of them particularly 'shined' during the interview, but I was glad to see that they both answered the same amount of questions equally (more or less) unlike the Concert for Diana interview where William dominated the conversation. The amount of 'you knows' didn't bother me - in fact, I hardly even noticed it in the actual interview. As ennyllorac said, some people are natural public speakers, and others are not - it has nothing to do with the level of intelligence. They aren't great at it, but they aren't terrible at it either, and I'm sure they will improve with time and practice :flowers:. The thing that did bother me, however, was how they would talk over each other - made it impossible to understand a word they were saying! Another thing I didn't like about the interview was the extra explaination/footage (for lack of a better word) Matt Lauer gave, ie. "there was three of us in the marriage." Personally, I felt there was no need to bring that into the interview. Overall, it was a lovely interview!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Now I've got 150 screen caps online. Check it out and do enjoy. :flowers:
Scratch that number. Actually it's about 250 screen caps, once the transfer that's underway finishes. It says about five more minutes..... then all of them will be viewable.

Last edited:
All I can say is "Thank God Katie Couric is gone!". If she were still on the 'Today' show I'm sure she would've insisted on doing the interview and then foawned over them like a silly schoolgirl.

Amen to that. I wouldn't have watched it if she had been the interviewer. I don't like cringing!

Haha, I knew the American press would eat up that offhand remark. To be fair, though, he did seem to make an effort to say nice things about the US, a wise move considering that the host of the interview was an American network. I think he perhaps went out of his way, perhaps a bit over the top saying how the American people/media is less invasive than the British media. I doubt he really feels that way. I'm sure the US media can be equally as invasive towards royalty as any other nation's media. But it was nice of him to say we are less intrusive! :lol:

I watched it last night after buying it off of Itunes. I was really impressed by how they presented themselves. I feel like they showed their true personalities but at the same time they were able to reveal only the things they wanted to reveal. They seem like genuinely nice, fun, young men. I thought Harry was especially humorous (and cute!). I'm so very glad they did this; it will probably be years before they do it again!

Theres going to be an encore of the interview at 10pm on NBC.

12.2 million viewers watched this interview. According to figures, this is the second highest viewership for Dateline.

(Pretty interesting considering that most Americans are not royal watchers - and understandably so I suppose.)

I was really impressed by how they presented themselves. I feel like they showed their true personalities but at the same time they were able to reveal only the things they wanted to reveal. They seem like genuinely nice, fun, young men. I thought Harry was especially humorous (and cute!). I'm so very glad they did this; it will probably be years before they do it again!

I agree. The interview came across very well to me. I loved how they have this playful brotherly banter going on between them. They came across as warm and sincere. I first read the transcripts and it seemed a little insincere and maybe rehearsed. But after watching the Dateline interview, the warmth came through.

It surprised me a bit that Harry was so much more outgoing than William. He answered most of the questions before William had a chance. I always knew William was more reserved, but Harry just came off so well and so down to earth. He is just a little doll.

I enjoyed how William said that when it comes to what they do and who they date, when they talked about Kate and Chelsey, that he said they don't even listen to the media or take it into consideration at all. They make their own decsions and the media has no impact. He said this part in response to Matt Lauer asking if the media had any impact on his reasons for breaking up with kate. I liked how he answered that.

They also got a chance to defend themselves against people who say they don't show enough emotion.

Overall I thought they came off very well. I just adore them even more now!:wub:

Haha, I knew the American press would eat up that offhand remark. To be fair, though, he did seem to make an effort to say nice things about the US, a wise move considering that the host of the interview was an American network. I think he perhaps went out of his way, perhaps a bit over the top saying how the American people/media is less invasive than the British media. I doubt he really feels that way. I'm sure the US media can be equally as invasive towards royalty as any other nation's media. But it was nice of him to say we are less intrusive! :lol:

I had a similar thought about that comment. I figure though it may in part be genuine because, since they actually live in the UK, they probably are more aware of the invasive ways the UK press have been dealing with them and probably aren't as aware of the amount of media coverage they get in the US. It could possibly also be because the last time they were in the US they were children, and probably were not as aware of the media coverage then as they are now.

It surprised me a bit that Harry was so much more outgoing than William. He answered most of the questions before William had a chance. I always knew William was more reserved, but Harry just came off so well and so down to earth. He is just a little doll.
I was really impressed by how they presented themselves. I feel like they showed their true personalities but at the same time they were able to reveal only the things they wanted to reveal. They seem like genuinely nice, fun, young men. I thought Harry was especially humorous (and cute!).
I thought the same things. I was surprised at how down to earth they both were / are and that for all the bad boy image that the press seems to be giving Harry, he really didn't come off that way in real life. If I remember correctly, even William said as much about his brother! He said that if you really want to know what type of person Harry is, you have to meet him and talk to him and don't just believe what the press says about the type of person he is (or something like that).

They did not look very comfortable, although it may be just because it was an American interviewer. Them not being comfortable could have attributed to their stutterings and such.
Someone said that the question, "What's the greatest part about being a Prince?" was one major thing that separates Americans and Brits. :ohmy::neutral:

I love how they both had the same posture: Right arm laying flat to the right of them, and Left arm snaking down their bodies [:rolleyes::wub:]

I had a similar thought about that comment. I figure though it may in part be genuine because, since they actually live in the UK, they probably are more aware of the invasive ways the UK press have been dealing with them and probably aren't as aware of the amount of media coverage they get in the US. It could possibly also be because the last time they were in the US they were children, and probably were not as aware of the media coverage then as they are now.

I think you are right. The last time they were in the US they were kids and they're privacy was respected and security attended so well that no one realized they were here til after they were gone! :lol:

I really enjoyed watching the interview with Williama dn harry I watched it again last night since I taped it and I love the part when William ad Harry tell Matt Lauer their nicknames, Wombat and Ginger! I also really like how much their mother has impacted their life it wonderful to knwo how much they really love her!

That's a more thoughtful article than most of the superficial stuff we've been treated to recently. It's bringing up the same issue that we were seeing with Kate Middleton: even though the brothers don't spend every evening in nightclubs, if they're photographed every time they do go to a nightclub and not photographed on the evenings when they don't, it leaves the impression that they're out partying every night. Same with Kate and the photos of her going shopping, which left at least some people with the impression that she never did anything else.

Unfortunately, people seem to be prepared to believe that if they don't see things happening, it means that they can't be happening, so very little credit ever seems to be given to the royals for all the behind-the-scenes private work that's related to their duties. Even after several documentaries have tried over the years to explain what the royals do when they aren't out in public, this perception seems to still be current that they aren't doing anything if someone hasn't taken a photo of it for us.

Unfortunately, people seem to be prepared to believe that if they don't see things happening, it means that they can't be happening, so very little credit ever seems to be given to the royals for all the behind-the-scenes private work that's related to their duties. Even after several documentaries have tried over the years to explain what the royals do when they aren't out in public, this perception seems to still be current that they aren't doing anything if someone hasn't taken a photo of it for us.

It seems like William's recent work for the Tusk Trust was overlooked in the media, which surprised me. I would have thought they'd jump on everything he did, but the only coverage I saw of his visits to the Dorset offices and the fundraiser events were on the Tusk website, and just one article.
Diana apparently did a lot of unseen visits to Centrepoint shelters, so claims their official site. When it was first announced that Prince William would be a Centrepoint patron a couple of years ago, I remember reading somewhere that claimed that Prince Charles was a quiet patron for them too. It is an interesting topic, the quiet unseen work done by royals.

Another thing I noticed during the interview is how much more I think Harry resembles Diana. I know William has her nose and some other features but he's got a lot of Charles in him which shows the older he gets. Harry looks a lot like Phillip, but what blew me away during the interview is his childish grin that is identical to Diana's, as well as the way he tilts his head downward and to the side just like she did. Its something I never noticed before in pictures. I think its adorable.

Yes, Harry has many of Diana's expressions, but also William has her tendency for that classic almost coyish half-smile. William has a lot of both parents in his looks. Harry too has a lot of Prince philip and Lady Sarah McCorquodale. They're such muts. :lol:
Here's a small screen cap I made for you, both brothers. I love the ones where they are looking at each other. A few times during the interview, they exchanged looks, smiling. They have such a yin-and-yang relationship, so endearing. Like I said before, I'm a sucker for them. i admit it. :rolleyes:
http://i15.tinypic.com/5yhenwi.jpg

I loved the interview and yes I too was amazed at how much Harry reminded me of Diana. I am so glad they have each other and are so close. Diana always said there was a reason why she had 2 boys.

I wonder what the number 1 rated show on Dateline was?

Lily

On MSNBC tomorrow (June 24th) they will be showing the William & Harry interview.
Correction- it will be shown on MSNBC today (June 24th) at 12pm & 9pm

Last edited:
I can see lady Diana and prince Charles in both Princes. However, Prince Harry has more of her mother's gestures, while his elder brother has more of her mother's features, but less of her gestures.

Prince William's nose is certainly Lady Diana's one, and also her facial features. He looks as a classical handsome man, as his mother was a classical woman beauty. Prince Harry is different. He is a mix-up of Prince Charles and Lady Diana, but he is a childish kind of man, very agreeable too. Yes...I noticed in him, the same grin of his mother.

Vanesa.

I noticed that Matt Lauer did not refer to them as "Your Royal Highness" and "Sir." Maybe the young men indicated to him that would be acceptable (if so, I think that's a breath of fresh air -- remember how Prince Charles demanded his girlfriends call him "Sir"?). If not, they didn't seem ruffled by it.

I thought they were very charming, and it was fun to see them kid each other. And I was surprised that Harry talked so much. Usually it seems that he defers to William, or maybe that people tend to ask William more questions? I was also impressed that they both are so interested in Africa and the wellbeing of its people. I did notice that Harry did seem defensive when he was walking outside (he wrapped his arms around himself), but I'm not sure what they were discussing at the time. It had to have been hard to answer some of the questions, particularly about their mother.

And they both resemble their mother, although in different ways. William does have the downcast eyes, the blond hair and the wonderfully asymmetrical nose. Harry looks like Lady Sarah Spencer, with her more delicate bone structure, but when he's up to mischief his eyes look so much like Diana's.

I can't believe how old they are! I remember playing "royal baby" with my Chinese pug when I was awaiting William's birth (I'd pretend to be Diana posing with my baby for the photographers!). It got to the point that every time I said "royal baby" my little dog would run and hide!

We didn't really learn anything we didn't already know. Besides the Ginger nickname. I am so proud of them and happy that they are ready to share their mother as they knew her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom